Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, February 15, 2024

Setbacks and Revamps

Setbacks, difficulties, impediments, obstacles or failures. It doesn't matter which term you attach to any outcome that is other than the one you wanted. What's important is that you never give up. I believe if you learn anything it's still progress. I got many chances to practice that principle working on Wayne's furniture this week. At times I had to battle frustration and disappointment, but by reframing how I thought about each setback, I was able to revamp things and keep enjoying my mini time.


Things started off well with Wayne's kitchen table and chairs. I designed the pieces in Design Space and cut them from 2 mm chipboard. The table is a simple round table with the top in two pieces, one slightly smaller than the other, to create a step down effect. The base started out as a half circle and a bowling pin with some aspects sliced away. Can you see it? This gave it a unique shape. Opposing notches are cut into each piece so that they can slide together. The set went together great the first time and, most importantly, Wayne liked them. They'll need a bit of aging to give them character, but I'll wait and do that with the rest of the chipboard furnishings at the same time.


A perfect fit for Wayne!

For size perspective, Wayne is 2" tall and about an inch wide.

The next pieces I worked on, Wayne's leather club chairs, were a lot more complicated. I made it as easy on myself as possible by using the chair pattern I'd previously created for the Beachside Bungalow's bedroom. All I had to do was resize the pattern down to Wayne size. To give them club chair characteristics, I revamped the shape of the back of the chair. 

You can see below a good demonstration of the difference in scale from 1/12th to Wayne's scale, which I believe is close to 1/36th (G scale in model railroading).

Beachside Bungalow's bedroom
Wayne's chair back looks like a slice of toast, lol!
The brown pieces are cut from chipboard, the white from cardstock.

I finished the chair using the upholstery process from One Inch Minis and used tiny patterned/thin upholstery fabric. 


Some might call this good enough with fabric on, but Wayne requested leather.

Then came the challenging part: faux leather. While I've seen several YouTube Tutorials on how to achieve a faux leather look on upholstery and fabric, I didn't adhere strictly to any one method. Rather, I took aspects I thought made sense from some of them. All included applying a good coat of Mod Podge first to essentially seal and smooth the surface. I let that cure overnight before giving the chairs a light base coat of nutmeg brown. I wanted some of the yellow tones to show through.


Once dried I sponged on a darker brown mixed with satin glazing medium. It looked like we were getting somewhere!


But when I took photos, I noticed that when magnified by the camera close up, the fabric looked as though it had "pilled" up. Yikes!


Apparently, they needed a thicker coat of Mod Podge. That helped, but they still looked pretty flat and one dimensional. I was beginning to worry that all my time invested into these would result in one big failure. Ugh.


Finally, after adding highlighting and aging with a dark wash and dry brushing, I can live with them. The final sheen was achieved with a 50/50 mix of satin varnish and matte varnish. One was too shiny and one was too flat. Mixed in equal parts seems to have been the sweet spot. The yellow label Mod Podge was great as a pre-sealer, but made them look a little more like vinyl and less like leather. Which could work to your advantage on some pieces... say, pool inflatables? Thankfully, after I kept at them, Wayne is thrilled! He said he can't wait until he has a lamp that he can read by. I can't wait to catch him snoozing in one some afternoon!


The next revamp began when I had all of Wayne's furniture sitting together on my work table. The bed I had made for him last fall (when I made Roz and Rosario's beds) looked huge! And it kind of was. Not in its width or length, but definitely in height. And since the bed is going to be in a room with gabled roofs, height surely matters.

The big bed is a good length and width, but Wayne needs a stool to climb in!

Rather than lamenting about all the time it took to create the big bed (and to sew all the bedding), I decided to look at this as an opportunity to make another fun bed style perfectly sized for Wayne. I designed it from scratch in Design Space with layered head and foot boards and an inlay of carved tree branches. It took an entire day to design, cut, assemble, add bark to the branches, let dry and begin painting. I got nearly to the final phase of finishing before I found faults with my design. The footboard was a bit too tall, the legs were a bit too tall and any comfy looking mattress was going to block too much of the headboard inlay. It was hard to admit, but it just didn't work. Finally, I faced facts and realized that I liked the style of his big bed much, much better. 


This design still needs work.

Here are the big bed and the first revamp in the gabled bedroom...

Big bed

First prototype of the revamped bed. It measures 2" tall, 2" wide, and 3" deep.

Since I had resized the chair successfully I thought I could try resizing the big bed pattern into a more petit version. This meant reducing the height of the legs off the floor and the height of the head and foot boards. The width and length would remain the same and, hopefully, it would keep its character. I essentially just sliced off the legs, sliced out a section from all the head and foot board pieces and then welded them back together again. Et voila!

Wayne's big bed pieces in brown and the petit version in purple.

The revised bed seems promising! It looks a lot like the big bed and will be a much better fit for both Wayne and the gabled bedroom. With a little perseverance, by next week, it'll be just right. 


I'll leave you this week with a peek at the new entry step down and built in bookshelves that are a work in progress. Wayne is a bit of a pack rat so this space will fill up fast! I'm not set on the layout just yet, but I'm confident something will make sense, soon!



I hope you're revamping your "setbacks" and turning them into improvements, too!

xo xo,

Jodi

20 comments:

  1. Very cute Jodi! The furniture all looks great and so cozy for Wayne! I think the bigger bed is better for the space too, especially given it's tucked up the back - being bigger makes it more obvious and it doesn't get lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I have really enjoyed being challenged like this for Wayne's furnishings! I only wish there was more "mini time" in each week so that I could have the security of knowing that every idea is possible, lol!
      I think you are right - the things is the deep recesses of a dollhouse are better seen when they are a little grander. Otherwise they risk being lost to the viewer.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jodi! I love the newer, smaller version of the "Big Bed"! Although, I am also a fan of "Big Beds" anyway... the kind you need a step stool to get into! This saga reminds me of Goldie's "porridge saga"... one is too big, one is too small.... then one is just right! Lol! The table and chairs for the kitchen are a great design! I love the way the base notches together so perfectly. And the club chairs have a lovely shape... but does he need two??? He might be able to get by with just one if push comes to shove! As for the "collector" tendencies of Raccoons... watch out for the silverware! Lol! They are inventive creatures and like the shiny stuff! I imagine he has lots of "guy tools and gadgets" to play with. I am glad you see the "set-backs" as opportunities to get a better end product. It can be daunting.... but the process is half (or more!) of the fun! Keep up the Great Work! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! We are all striving in life to find our "just right", aren't we?!? Poor Goldie needs a little forgiveness for going about it the wrong way, lol!
      I'm so happy to have your encouragement on the little furniture! I, too, struggled with the one or two chairs question. In the end I decided that Wayne should make space for a friend because all too easily life can become lonely. He'll have to be a friend of the same stature and probably tendencies, as well. I see Wayne's place being a little hard to get around in, though if you ever need any obscure item, Wayne's your man!

      Delete
  3. Jodi, your “leather” chairs turned out so beautifully! I’ll bet Wayne is so pleased with them! I would have a hard time choosing between your three beds though. They’re all wonderful! Can I ask, what is design space? Do you cut the pieces with a laser? It’s so cool that you can design your own furniture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! It is such a luxury to have choices unless making decisions is hare for you, lol! Design Space is the software program that comes with Cricut cutting machines. In addition to designing cards and all sorts of amazing projects, I use it to create flat pack, assembly required furnishings for all my dollhouses. It is great fun, though I wish Cricut made the software more sharing friendly. It is daunting to export and share the svg files created in the program. Cricut used various cutting tools depending on whether you are cutting paper, fabric or wood/chipboard. Ideally, I'd have a laser cutter. Unfortunately, ones that would check all my boxes are still several thousand dollars. Someday!

      Delete
  4. Oh Jodi. You are so right. Seldom, for me at least, do things turn out the way I want them to the first time. Do-overs are just part of the creative process and it is great to know even the best have the same problems. So thank you for sharing your perseverance. Aside from that, you put a lot of work into Design Space and it certainly shows others the possibilities. Wayne must be thrilled with new furniture and hopefully he a neat packrat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I think miniaturists are an especially intelligent bunch and if it were easy to achieve lifelike results, we'd all get board and go build model ships or something, lol! Doing things several times and with various techniques and products is all part of the scientific method. It helps us learn and get better. It is only frustrating because our patience, time and budgets are often limited. The most successful people in life are usually the ones blessed with more of those resources, lol! So for the rest of us it is so important that we be honest with our struggles and very supportive of one another. We miniaturists see the Rock Star in one another!

      Delete
  5. Cuando he visto la primera foto, lo que he pensado ha sido: Wow! Esos sillones son fantásticos!! Así que tu perseverancia en hacer un cuero creíble han sido recompensados!
    La versión de la cama es fantástica, para Wayne será como dormir en el bosque con ese entramado de hojas. Me gusta mucho como está quedando su mini apartamento, estoy segura que Wayne aprecia todo tu esfuerzo!
    Besos.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias por los ánimos, Pilar! Es una gran bendición recibir comentarios de otros miniaturistas, ¡especialmente cuando son positivos! Una de las cosas que aprendí del proceso del cuero es que si para empezar hubiera usado seda en lugar de una tela con baches, podría haber trabajado menos. Así que la próxima vez buscaré en mis cajones seda fea, ¡jajaja! ¡Abrazos!

      Delete
  6. The club chairs are my favourite pieces of all the furniture. They're absolutely beautiful! You managed well with the faux leather... well, it looks like real leather indeed! I've heard of someone using thin silk and then paint that for a leathery look. But who wants to waste lovely silk by painting over it?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millimari! Yes I think silk would have yielded much better results and been less work/anxiety! But I will use only ugly/cheap silk next time, lol!

      Delete
  7. Goodness, yes sometimes things can go wrong, but luckily we are go-getters. Well it looks like it turned out all right, a nice cute dining area and the small bed is better and then the chairs what a lot of work but it looks good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonda! That's right! We are go getters! When you are striving to accomplish an idea in your mind you have to be tenacious! But it's okay to take a couple minutes to cry or eat some chocolate until you're ready to roll up your sleeves again!

      Delete
  8. The renovation of the furniture is gorgeous. And so, this small space has perfect decor. The armchairs seem to be made of real leather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! It is going to be challenging to make the whole apartment reflect and convey Wayne's personality, but I hope with time and conscientious thought I'll get it right!

      Delete
  9. Maravilloso mobiliario, has superado con sobresaliente todos los contratiempos, como siempre tus entradas son fantásticas. Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Rosa María! ¡Me alegra que te gusten los muebles de Wayne! ¡Es bueno poder lograr avances graduales en el proyecto de la casa del árbol una vez más!

      Delete
  10. Oh, what an EXCELLENT post! (When it comes to Wayne's world I'm skipping "wonderful" for a while...) ;O) And I really loved to hear that there is now an official scale called "Wayne size".

    You did an excellent job with the furniture designed for darling Wayne... and of course this is plural because it includes your trusted machine park being finally back at work again. The furniture is just perfect for your little helper and your attention to details is amazing as always like for example in the design of this table. Why easy and simple when you can also head for "awesome" and "stunning"?!

    It made me smile that Wayne knows exactly what he wants and what he needs... and if he wants leather chairs he'll gonna receive leather chairs! It was very interesting to learn how you've achieved this look and although there might have been a few sweat pearls running down here and a few occasional curses running out there all is EXCELLENT in the end. Btw to me it was never a question at all why Wayne needs two chairs... the girls and even Roz might be too tall for Wayne's world... but Rozario will love to visit his friend in this male cavern and recover for a while from all this pink and purple surrounding him everywhere else. Let's hope Wayne won't hang up a big mirror because that would mean the end of dragon-eyes-recovering-from-pink-and-purple-supremacy for Rozario *LOL* And I bet he will love to rifle through Wayne's "collections" too - as I would expect our little black-and-white friend will not only collect shiny things like Betsy mentioned or tools or even better interesting things which will certainly have any use in some far away future... I bet Wayne will also have a collection of cookies, candies and other delicious things wandering mysteriously out of Goldie's kitchen into his storage spaces... *wink*

    But I'm sorry that the Big Bed had to be replaced with a not-so-big bed after creating a sounded-good-in-theory-but-didn't-turn-out-to-be-what-I-and-Wayne-wanted bed. But although this cost you plenty of time and effort I suppose it had to turn out this way as there must be a reason why you came along with the Big Bed some time ago. And now you captured its looks in a really wonderful and of course EXCELLENT bed in perfect Wayne size. And in sum you're building the most wonderful home any raccoon has ever called his own world and I have no doubt Wayne would call himself the most happiest raccoon in the whole wide world!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! I'll take the "Excellent" label any day! And just so you know... Your comments are always excellent and fun to read! 😊

      I'm so glad to know you like Wayne's furnishings! I think one of the most fun things I enjoy with minis is getting to assemble my furniture designs to see if they actually work! When they do it feels like heaven!

      The chairs were full of anxious and mundane moments as all things are when you are doing them for the first time. I am so relived they came out alright! Wayne definitely needs places for guest to sit. Rozario will be a regular visitor as will many other forest residents because Wayne is such a popular guy. And with his charcuterie skills, he loves to entertain!

      The big bed has gone into the "Furniture that didn't work out so well" drawer. But like any good hoarder I have hope that one day it will be the perfect piece for someone somewhere and I'll have been validated for having held onto it! I also hope that when Wayne's bedroom is finally completed he will feel as though he is the luckiest raccoon in the land!

      Delete