Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Just Beachy!

After finishing up the flower shops, I took an early Sunday morning to organize my work space and to ponder where my creative inspiration was nudging me next. There's a new-ish project that's been in the wings and on my mind a lot lately. I've been really tempted to crack open the kit and start on it. I even made space on my long shelf to store the Beachside Bungalow - in case I decided to keep it on pause. But something happened a few weeks ago that reinvigorated my enthusiasm about the bungalow, and ultimately, I decided it was too close to being finished to abandon it now.


When I last posted about the bungalow, I had just finished the first floor. Well almost - I still have the powder room to finish but that's a whole other post. What I didn't share (because of the holidays) was that I had started on the second floor's bedroom. I assembled a bed kit, designed and cut night tables with the Cricut, made an upholstered chair using One Inch Minis tutorial, 3D printed pineapple lamps and painted/decoupaged a couple unfinished furniture pieces.







The mistake I made, and the thing that stole my inspiration was mostly the red paint. Yep - I tried to pull the red out of the wallpaper and use it for the bed and for the little dresser, and it really killed my momentum. Bummer dude! I was also second guessing the bronze finish on the pineapple lamps, which type of shades to use and the wardrobe didn't come out like I'd envisioned it, either.


That was really why I returned to the flower shops. I was frozen and gobstopped by a lack of inspiration for an alternate color for the furniture in the bungalow's bedroom. And I didn't want to settle for this version, but didn't have any new ideas, either.

Then... Tasha stopped by one day, and I shared my dilemma. She took one look at the room and told me I needed to go green. She's a smarty pants, and she was right. But I didn't think I had the right green in my stash of 1000 colors. But really, I did: Caterpillar by Apple Barrel. It was almost the exact acid green in the wallpaper. With a bit of a tone down (thanks to a drop of white paint), after I finished the flower shops and did a little reorg to the work space, I was back in beachside business!


I painted/glazed/inked the bed and dresser and soon my compass began to spin again! I had a new vision and a direction to go in. I even started to kind of like the crazy wardrobe. And, I was inspired to design a whole new lamp and shade with more of a coastal feel than a tropical one.


The bronze is nice for the dresser hardware, but I like the lamps better in teal! I did a two tone with glaze, so they look like ceramic in person!



Heck, I was so excited at the direction the room was heading, I even got out my sewing machine to make the bedding and throw pillows! I'm still not very good at making them, but at least I was inspired to try!



 I even made real pillows and then the pillow cases for them to slip into.


The chair even got a tiny cushion.


Including bedside lamps was an afterthought, so I hadn't planned for where and how to run the wires until after all the other wiring had been figured out. It was a bit challenging. I had to create a passageway through the bedroom wall, into the bathroom and behind the shower, then exit down the "utility" side of the house to meet up with the transformer in the crawl space. Thank goodness Russ came up with a perfect piece of metal to use as the "wire pulling tool". Measuring to make sure I was getting the access hole behind the shower was nerve racking.





I got the lamps secured to the nightstands, secured the extra wire where it won't be seen, spliced the lamp wires into one white wire and then taped the wire really well to the metal wire pulling tool. Phew! It worked!




Prior to running the wire through the wall, I threaded it through a "plug end" (part of a silicone earring backer) and an outlet cover that I made with the 3D printer. Now when you see the lamp wire it looks like a plugged in lamp should.


And boy was I relieved after all this work when the lights actually worked! You'll notice I made a couple art prints for above the nightstands using scraps from the same paper pack and pot metal frames painted in the same caterpillar green.


And I was able to sprinkle the wonderful gifts Drora made for me throughout the room. The flower vase on the dresser and the pots of flowers on the nightstands are made by her talented hands, as well as the seashell mirror, seashell jewelry box on the armoire, the adorable pipe cleaner pets and a lovely shell necklace! I am so happy that I finally have the perfect room to display them all in!






I scanned a pattern from the Mint Julep paper pack into the computer, then printed it onto cotton to make the rug. The colors were very faded, so I brought them up more with a coat of ultra matte Mod Podge, careful to avoid the white trim border I left on so that I could create the fringe.

It feels very serene with only the dollhouse lights on.



Speaking of lights, I finally ran the wire for the living room lamp, which meant I could finalize the wiring under the crawl space. The wiring of this bungalow is officially completed!


With the exception of that pesky bulb in the upstairs bathroom that does not want to stay lit. I will address that when I get to finishing the bathrooms. They are next on the list.

But thanks to a little color advice and a new inspiration, the bungalow's bedroom is Ta-Done! I just love the way the room came together and wish my real bedroom looked so lively! There's not much left on the rest of the To-Do list, so maybe, just maybe, I will actually finish another project in 2022!

Thanks for stopping by!

xo xo,

Jodi

34 comments:

  1. Realmente Tasha tenía razón, volverte verde ha sido una solución magnífica!! Que combinación de tonos tan excelente, la ropa de cama es genial, el pequeño sofá realza la habitación al igual que los cojines.
    Las lámparas de mesilla parecen cerámica auténtica y el modo de pasar el cableado es una obra de ingeniería.
    La habitación es alegre y transmite paz y calma a la vez, preciosa!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. ¡Gracias Pilar! ¡Me alegra mucho que te gusten los colores y cómo quedó la habitación! Se siente genial tener una dirección para entrar con esta casa nuevamente. ¡A veces, cuando he estado fuera de un proyecto por mucho tiempo, olvido mi plan!

      Delete
  2. What a happy and inviting room. You were right to change the color of the bed. The red just seems too jarring so Tasha’s suggestion to return to the greens and blues you had used elsewhere was right on. Your upholstered chair and bedding all look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrill! Sometimes finding that one piece to the puzzle is all you need to get you going again!

      Delete
  3. Your workmanship is always so perfect. Reds are so hard to match, unless they come from the same lot or are manufactured as a set, so green was a great choice. Paint is relatively forgiving, anyway. You are on a roll and its fun to see your enthusiasm. I love the little dog and bear and am guessing that they are pipe cleaner creations. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! Yes - red and blue are both tricky colors for me! But I love how everything just started playing nicely together once the green came into the mix! The pipe cleaner pets are made by the very talented Drora in Israel!

      Delete
  4. The green and blue certainly look better than the red. It's a good thing you followed Tasha's advice. And, I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to see my little seashell trinkets in such a lovely a beachside bungalow.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I am so excited to have your amazing miniatures displayed in the room! It's as if they were always meant to be! Hope you are enjoying a lovely Passover week! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Awesome bedroom Jodi! It’s so colourful and fun but also feels like a lovely place to rest. As usual, I applaud your use of colour. And also your persistence with the lighting (usually my broken lights only get fixed because my husband gets sick of me swearing about them!). It’s so handy to have a second opinion, even someone who isn’t so much into minis, just to see things from a different perspective and pick up on the things we can’t see ourselves. I hope your week ahead is great. Take care. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! There is nothing more disappointing than to work so hard to get the lighting just perfect only to have it fail as you reach the end of a project. This is why I switched solely to wired fixtures and changeable bulbs and I am so relieved that I was able to get it fixed! I'm so happy that you like the room!

      Delete
  6. Hi Jodi! Clearly Your daughter is Brilliant! (She must take after her Mom!!) I can totally see why you stalled with the red bed... as pretty as it is, it just lacks the Zing needed to keep up with the wallpaper! I would not have thought to go for the acid green either.... I would have gotten lost in the blue options. But making them secondary to the green is the ticket! Together they balance the reds and really make this room sing!!! What an awesome bedroom it turned out to be! I Love the Boho wardrobe and the blue polka dot chair and the pineapple lamps but they really really need the contrast/support of the acid green! Beautiful Work! And I am with you... it looks so cozy and inviting with just the lights on! Now I'm dreaming of open windows, surf in the distance and foghorns and crickets.... ah Summer!!!! It's great to see you steaming ahead on this project! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks. 😊 Thank Betsy! 💗 It makes me so happy that you like the room! Russ says it reminds him of Tasha - it charms you right in and then leaves no room for anything but joy! He's so right! It feels really great to be getting carried along on ideas and not be struggling for direction!

      Delete
  7. Awe, Jodi. This is all adorable. Fresh and still has a vintage vibe, like a long lived in room that has evolved. Love the colors and the unexpected acid/green. Lots of fun, here! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! I knew when I chose this paper for the bedroom that it was going to be a challenge, but when you love a pattern, you just have to try! I am so glad Tasha happened by that day, because it reinforces my feeling that all things are meant to be if you let them unfold naturally.

      Delete
  8. I like the green color on bed! And you have make a very cozy room

    ReplyDelete
  9. A bedroom with cheerful colors. Everything is perfect and makes the room comfortable.
    Your daughter's advice was really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! I'm glad you like how the room turned out! Good advice is priceless!

      Delete
  10. Genial Jodi, el cambio ha sido fantástico dan ganas de sentarse en el sillón y disfrutar de la calidez de la habitación. El cableado de la lampara es un detalle increíble, me encanta da un realismo perfecto. Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa María! ¡Me alegro de que te guste cómo ha quedado el dormitorio! ¡A veces un problema complicado vale la pena!

      Delete
  11. Oh, what a wonderful post! ;O) And please pass my heartfelt thanks to your darling daughter - she gave you not only the best advice but luckily the right kick to get started again.

    I think I can understand why you've chosen the red first and why you could not decide what to do instead. I think we all know a story or two about ideas which sound brilliant in theory but can't keep their promises in reality. So good this special green was patiently waiting among your other 999 paint bottles of all sorts for its big day... or in other words: Showtime in one of the most stunning, inviting, inspiring and fresh looking bedrooms ever. As always the shades of the colours you've used for the different pieces of furniture match so well that it's pure fun to look at that scene.

    And as always I'm in awe what a great team you and your 3D printer are in the meantime. The lamps turned out awesome (in both versions, but I too prefer the second version for this room) but the detail with the wire plug is brilliant. You never stop to amaze me - and I'm so glad this dangerous wire stunt worked well. Phew, I was chewing my nails during this picture show. *wink*

    And it really made me smile to discover Drora's miniatures which I already recognized in the first photo. It's so lovely that you could use these gifts from one of the most darling ladies of blogland for this beautiful room - now the shell pieces found their perfect destination. You may remember that I too was able to finally use shell gifts from Drora for the Beary House... bless those projects with a maritime theme. *LOL*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! I will pass on your gratitude to Tasha! I am so glad you like the way the bedroom came together and that you like both styles of lamps! I am sure there will be a perfect scene in the future for the pineapples - I love pineapples! Drora's gifts could not be more perfect for this house! I am so glad to finally have a place to display these special pieces! Hugs!

      Delete
  12. Oh wow Jodi, it's gorgeous, so warm and cosy, I love it, the colours, the bed, wallpaper, all of it, the pipe cleaner pets are so cute. The wardrobe is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly! I am so glad to have your enthusiasm about the wardrobe. For several weeks there, I was convinced I'd ruined it. I even looked for a replacement and was shocked that they now sell for $30!!! Once I saw that I knew I would either learn to love it or spend lots of time stripping it back to wood, lol!

      Delete
  13. I love how it looks! The red was just too dark, not beachy or bright enough for the overall mood of the house.

    The new lamps are wonderful but oh lord wiring! I'm so impressed you managed it without tearing out walls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! Yep! The red was just not going to work! So glad Tasha got me unstuck with the acid green! Glad you like the lamps, too! I made a ton of different styles, and when I post about them, you can pick a pair of your favorites and I'll send them to you!

      Delete
  14. Un total acierto el color. Es arriesgado elegir colores tan vivos pero ha quedado fantástica. La habitación resulta muy alegre y acogedora.
    La iluminación y el ingenio para ocultar los cables, muy bueno.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! Me encantó el papel del álbum de recortes y estaba tan decidida a hacer que la habitación funcionara con él. ¡Gracias a Dios que la sugerencia de Tasha me hizo volver a empezar! Estoy haciendo un gran progreso ahora!

      Delete
  15. Jodi, I love the bedroom. So happy it is done. The whole house has come to a close and cannot wait for your next project. Happy Crafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! It feels so good to be so close to having this project be what I'd dreamed for it, even if it has evolved a lot since I bought the kit! Two bathrooms and a porch coming up!

      Delete
  16. I am very happy that your daughter gave you such good advice and that you have your inspiration back! I am in love with this bedroom, everything about it is just beautiful, refreshing and youthful. It really lifts your spirit up. Great job dear Jodi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I am happy that you like it, too! Youthful is a great description for it with the bright colors and playful patterns! I am so glad that Tasha's suggestion got my enthusiasm going again! It feels much better to be getting projects finished than to have them make me feel guilty, lol!

      Delete
  17. Está maravilloso.
    Me encanta la coordinación de colores y accesorios.
    No falta ningún detalle en ese dormitorio.
    Seguro que la planta de abajo quedará fantástica.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Mariana! ¡Estoy tan contenta de que te guste y tan feliz de que hayas estado aquí conmigo desde el principio!

      Delete