Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Friday, February 2, 2024

Miracles

Hi Guys! February already? Seems like 2024 is going to go by just as fast as 2023 did! Yikes!

In spite of the calendar, I have been able to make a little progress on the treehouse over the last couple weeks. And I got a task completed that had me a little anxious: The Roof!


When I build out of sequence (Who? Me?), adding things on and rearranging components, I never know what kinds of issues I might be creating for myself later. Miraculously, this time, it wasn't too bad. I started by finding all the roof pieces, removing them from the kit's sheets and sanding. Oh the sanding! The fancy gable deco pieces took a lot of sanding and a good bit of assembly. Listening to Steven King's Fairytale audiobook through the process made it very enjoyable!

Gable Deco Components

Then paint. Does everyone struggle with what paint color to put where like I do? The final weathered look I have in my mind is not so bold, but it has to start out that way. Once the gable deco was painted and assembled, the rest of the roof pieces could be assembled. 

I had a 1/4" gap on the left side of the right front gable and couldn't account for why. I had Russ, the handy construction consultant, look at it with me, too. Neither of us could figure out why, so maybe it was just a factory kit piece cutting issue? We'll probably never know. But, luckily, a little filler strip of art board took care of the issue.


I wanted to bring a little natural light into the dark recesses of the gables. So, each of them got a window designed and cut with the Cricut Maker. Wayne's apartment gable will have an arched dormer window and the girls' bathtub gable a round skylight,

Wayne's Dormer Window

Pointed at the stars for nighttime viewing from bed.

Bathtub alcove skylight.

Other than the gap, the roof fit pretty good. I marked where the walls and floors met the roof and then...

First look with the roof on... finally!

Wayne's Apartment

Bathtub Alcove

Left it removable for now so that it would be a lot easier to do the wall treatments.

Removable Lid

Easy To Work On

After priming the walls and painting the gable trim color, I added the timbers using 1/16" x 1/4" basswood strips. The dividing wall between Wayne's apartment and the great room got thicker basswood, 1/8", to give the appearance of thickness since it'll be viewed from the side profile. I made it from art board.

Wayne's Timbers


I painted the timbers to match the majority of the rest of the house (except the girls' room which has purple timbers).


And then I spent some lovely hours applying the Paperclay. It took just under 8 ounces for the attic walls. I'm pretty messy with the Paperclay, so it requires I sand off some timbers then touch up the paint. Followed by age washes.



Almost Ready For Move-In!

Once I permanently affix the roof piece on to the treehouse, I'll have to install baseboard trim where the front roof and floors meet. And Wayne's apartment needs steps and trims, too. But before I install the roof, I have lighting to add.



And there are so many half scale furnishings and fixtures to make for Wayne's apartment. It's going to be interesting to work in that scale!

With a little luck and maybe a few miracles I'll be back next week with more progress. Until then, I hope you're finding time for creative joy, as well!

xo xo,

Jodi

Wonderful news about mom! She had her post surgery consultation this morning. The doctor says the mass was not cancerous!!! I can't even express how amazing that news is! We are all just so relieved and grateful! She still has some underlying health issues to resolve, but with this news, she is ready to face the next problem head on! I can't thank you all enough for your thoughts, prayers and condolences! I told mom, just maybe, it's a miracle!!!

22 comments:

  1. Such good news on your mom. I'm glad you showed the front of the house; it's so cute. It seems that we have to become very adept at covering up imperfections and you are the master and fun to watch. The windows add more character and as you say more light. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! It is news we'd never even hoped for but are just incredibly relieved! What a scare she had!

      The Linfield kit really does have so many adorable details! It has been fun to finally be getting to the gingerbread parts! It is rare that my work is perfect the first time, but repeating the process (with patience) helps to develop seamless techniques. And it also helps me to learn how to fix things. It is just a part of the gig with minis, right? I find the longer I am in them the less the do-overs bother me. 😊

      Delete
  2. Lo primero, enhorabuena por la noticia de tu mamá, verdaderamente quizás sea un milagro! Me alegro tantísimo!!! Seguro que con tan buenas noticias se podrá enfrentar a sus molestias subyacentes de la intervención!
    En cuanto al tejado de la casa se ve precioso! Que buena idea añadir luz a los sitios más oscuros, además agregan interés al tejado.
    Buen trabajo con las vigas y paredes envejecidas, espero verte por aquí la semana que viene con más adelantos. Mientras, diviértete creando!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Pilar! Realmente creo que tuvimos un milagro. Cada prueba, signo y síntoma indicaba cáncer de vejiga. ¡Estamos más que agradecidos!

      ¡Gracias también por el aliento sobre la casa del árbol! ¡Es pura alegría trabajar en ello! Abrazos

      Delete
  3. Dear Jodi, Miracles do happen! :) I am so glad to hear your Mom's condition has been upgraded to "almost as good as new"! This is joyous news indeed!
    As for the building "miracles", you have done an amazing amount is spite of the distractions! The dormer in the dormer is so cute!! And I really look forward to seeing the half scale pieces you are planning! The skylight in the bath nook is also super charming and just the sort of whimsical detail a tree house should have! I mean, who cares if the squirrels and birds can see in?! And the view of branches overhead is always a treat! I really Really look forward to seeing how this magical tub will be accessed... rope ladder? spiral stairs....? Fairy bear wishes??? Lol! As always... this project has me wishing... yearning.... to get back to my Tree House project... but a few things are ahead of it in the queue... so I will Dream on! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! 'Shocked Elation' is a new emotion for all of us and one we feel so lucky to have experienced! Good things came from this scare, so in a weird way we are glad it happened!
      I am so glad you are liking the whimsical features I am trying to remember to include in this project! I have been dreaming about all the wonderful features that could be incorporated for so long and now I am worried that if I go too fast I will lose my original vision!!! I have to keep reminding myself to savor rather than accomplish.
      I am going to enjoy following your treehouse whenever it has its turn because your creativity delights me! If I could offer any advice from my own experience, it would be to write the really essential ideas down! I wish I had!

      Delete
  4. So happy to hear the good news. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yes He is and all things happen FOR us and not TO us!

      Delete
  5. ¡Me encanta el diseño!
    ¡Enhorabuena por esa sorprendente noticia! Es toda una alegría.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel! ¡Me alegra que te guste el progreso y me alegro mucho de poder compartir buenas noticias!

      Delete
  6. Good news about your mother is certainly a relief.
    How nice that the roof is on the house, great!
    Beautiful ornaments on the house, it all looks beautiful and so correctly. And beautiful wooden floors, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is, Gonda! Thank you!
      Glad you like the treehouse progress! I am so happy to be working again!

      Delete
  7. I'm very glad for the good news about your mother.
    This house is wonderful and I really like the many details and colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faby! Mom is so relieved to just get back into her normal routine. It's a gift! Glad you're liking the treehouse features! It is such a fun vibe to work with!

      Delete
  8. Aww Jodie--prayers do get answered. Great relief for you and mom (and family). House is beautiful. Love following your creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! Yes they do! And yes! We are so relieved and grateful! I'm so pleased you like the treehouse and that you are here with me for this journey! Hugs!

      Delete
  9. Oh Jodi, I burst into happy tears when I read the news about your mom. How wonderful! Sending you both much love and good thoughts.
    Your roof is SO wonderful! It's a true work of art and will be the crowning glory of the dollhouse! I love that you listen to audiobooks when working on your dollhouse. I love to listen to them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Michelle! Thank you so, so much! I know that this is close to your heart as you bravely face a health challenge of your own. My thoughts and prayers are full of you and it is so good to know that you are also in good hands.
      I'm so glad to know you like how the treehouse is coming along. I only hope I can make this treehouse come out half as enchanting as it is in my mind. For that I must take my time. I love audiobooks, especially as my poor eyes get older and weaker. And there are so many amazing podcasts these days! It is nearly impossible for me to sit without something in my hands so TV is challenging, but the listening solution has been wonderful!

      Delete
  10. Oh Jodi, those are wonderful news!!! I am so happy for your mom, you and all your family. What a relieve!! God bless you all.
    With regards the house, the roof looks great and you are making so much progress that it feels like you are nearly there, no pressure, lol. I am just amazed of how much progress you have made. You know, many times when you mention a little imperfection or something like that I just smile because I never notice, not even when you tell. lol. Well, It was so good to come and visit you. So happy for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I am glad you stopped by! It has been so nice to have normal conversations with my mom again with lighthearted topics! When you have a scare like this you really realize the amazing things we just take for granted. We are all grateful for and aware of the "little things" now.
      I can't tell you how wonderful it has been to be able to work on minis again with new enthusiasm! What a priviledge! There is still much to do for all these little characters and I am going to enjoy every moment!

      Delete
  11. Oh, what a wonderful post! ;O) And so much wonderful progress! Congrats on facing the roof-challenge, what a great point to mark as "check... yippiiiieeeeee... I made it!!!" So good you have been able to camouflage this strange gap so well... I could not spot it... *smile* But I had fun imagining you and Russ inspecting the building, shaking your heads and muttering "but there must be a reason for this" *grin*

    I could look at your photos for hours and hours... especially the first one showing the front is simply stunning. And of course the overview of the house's inside... Everything matches so well, there are so many awesome ideas you realized and so many inspiring details. And keeping in mind what you had to go through in real life it's amazing how much progress you were able to achieve.

    The good news about your Mom made me glad too... no doubt, you all must be so full of relief and gratitude after this horrible time of fear, dread and sorrow. You were given one of the biggest gifts life is able to offer... more time with a loved one...

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! Ha ha! Yes! I can imagine how serious our faces were in discussing the roof gap and how funny it would look to anyone who didn't have a clue what we were doing, lol! I'm envisioning a scene from The White House Situation Room. The camera pans around the conference table from face to face, all with grave expressions and the viewer knows the topic being discussed is very serious. Suddenly, the camera pans out to a wide shot of the room and in the center of the table is a wonky dollhouse! All miniaturists will know the stakes and feel horrified! 😉

      I'm so happy to have your encouragement on the progress! This stage in a project where all the disjointed ideas start to come together is so exciting! But it also shows my lack of foresight and all my mistakes. At least by now I am not shocked by them and even expect them. And they are tempered by the Wow ideas that did go right. 😁

      It has only been a couple weeks since we got the amazing news about mom and already we are putting the whole ordeal behind us. Conversations have returned to how much mom likes Patrick Mahomes and what she's planning for dinner all week. It is ~a~m~a~z~i~n~g~!
      She's working on finding a new GP doctor (long story) and I think if we can get her hip/back diagnosed properly, she live comfortably and happily well into the future. Yay!!! I know how precious more time is now.
      Big hugs my friend!

      Delete