Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, January 18, 2024

Thank Heaven For Little Girls

Hi Guys! Hope the New Year is being kind to everyone! For me and my family it has been a strange time of waiting. Waiting to find out exactly what we're dealing with with mom's illness and how we can help her through it. Thankfully, when my mind gets stuck in worry about things I can't change, I have minis to help pull my hands and mind into something productive. And thank Heaven, I have two little girls that I get to make things for.


During my last visit to mom's, my new bottles of Fred's Weathering Stuff came in so I had all I needed to finish the treehouse's wood flooring. Like the first floor, I used the veneer strips that came with the Linfield kit to cover the second and third floors. Just to refresh your memory, that included the girls' bedroom, Wayne's attic apartment and the second and third floor balconies that frame two sides of the great room.

Goldie and Alice's bedroom floors pre-staining.

Wayne's attic apartment floors pre-staining.

One of the dangers in bouncing around the processes of a project for me is forgetting the important things I need to remember. Such as running ceiling light wiring before I install the flooring on the floor above. đŸ€Š‍♀️ Oh well. At least the masking tape and sharpie help "mask" the wires, and they'll be almost totally under an area rug.

Kitchen's ceiling lantern.

Wiring from the ceiling lantern coming up through the floor.
covered with masking tape.

Sharpie camouflage.

Once the floors were finished with stain and sealer, I could finally install them into the treehouse. Like a layer cake I positioned the kitchen's stove wall with glue and clamps, then applied the glue to the girls' bedroom floor and let everything cure overnight. The next day I did the balcony and Wayne's floors.

The Paperclay stones I applied to the oven wall had caused the chipboard beneath
it to warp a little as it dried. I had to weigh it and clamp it while the
glue set to flatten it back out. Luckily, it worked!

Girls' fireplace wall permanently installed.

Unfortunately, the stain from the new bottle and the stain from the older bottle weren't a perfect match. The new floors got a little darker. Fortunately, the only place where the new and old meet is the transition from the balcony into the girls' room. You have to really crane your neck or peep through windows to see it. The transition strip makes it look clean, at least.


Here is a photo of the treehouse interior with all of the floors finally installed! The only structural pieces left of the kit are the roof pieces, and with all those gables, it's going to be challenging!

I also made the wiring mistake on Wayne's floor/girls ceiling fixture.
I "fixed" it the same way. He will also have a fireplace wall and a rug.

All the floors are installed! Yippee!

You may have noticed some furnishing in the girls' room. Back when I made Roz's bedroom chair I also made a couple chairs for Alice and Goldie. They are a little larger, true 1/12th scale, and are covered in a more youthful and jovial butterfly fabric. I also used my graphics program to combine aspects of three different Pottery Barn Kids rugs to print the perfect rug for the girls. I am delighted with my new printer and will share about it in an upcoming post.

It is wonderful to finally see the ceiling and flooring in the girls' room!

I bet you also spied the dollhouse bookshelf and a dollhouse. I designed those in Design Space and cut them with the Cricut Maker. I hope to figure out how to make the projects available to everyone sometime this year. The dollhouse is 1/144th scale.

Dollhouse bookshelf with secret cubby.



I'm making board games, paper dolls and lots of other things the girls will love to play with when the weather forces them inside. Currently, I've got a big batch of real opening books for the bookshelf in progress on my craft table. Through The Looking Glass and The Three Bears will be included, of course, along with many other children's favorites and fairytales. 

Trixie Potter lives just down the holler across the creek.
She generously gifted the girls with every volume of her works.

My own love of reading bloomed with my first library book, a pop up dollhouse.
I can't wait to introduce them to Beverly Cleary, too.
They both share so many personality traits with Ramona!

I'll share more about all of that fun stuff in my next post. If you want the mom update, scroll past my signature. Otherwise, I hope you're all finding loads of things to be grateful for in the new year, and I hope it includes minis!

xo xo,

Jodi


Mom's surgery is Friday and hopefully, shortly thereafter, we will have more answers, a thorough diagnosis of her cancer, and a treatment plan. To our delight she continues to feel much, much better than before her hospital stay last month. Her blood analysis looks better and so far, no need for another transfusion. She's even insisting on cleaning her own house!!! I hope to start posting more regularly again and will, of course, keep you updated. I can't thank you enough for your kind thoughts, well wishes, prayers and love!

 xo xo

31 comments:

  1. Dear Jodi,
    Wow, it all looks fantastic!! I love the dollhouse bookshelf and the little dollhouse, they’re adorable!
    I’m so glad your mother is starting to feel better, I wish her a speedy recovery!
    Best,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! Filling out the girls' room has been a lot of fun and a great distraction! As for mom, I think her ornery stubbornness has become an asset!

      Delete
  2. I can only admire your skills and diligence with miniatures. Your daughters are lucky to have such a creative mother. Heavenly Father's blessings to your mother and a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we take comfort when you write about your mistakes--like the wiring--that even our favorite mentors make mistakes and it's okay. I've very adept at covering up my boo-boos. Of course you never cease to amaze us with all of the accessories that you make to create a satisfying and complete project. Thankfully your mother is doing better and we pray for a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! Mistakes are just going to happen, especially for me when I'm unable to focus and concentrate on what I'm doing. Covering up our boo boos and finding solutions becomes a great skill, right? I am allowing myself plenty of imperfection with the whole treehouse project because of the genre and because I enjoy the grimy look of forest living, lol! Mom came through the surgery great but checked herself out of the hospital against the doctor's advice. There is no telling her what to do. It'll be a couple weeks before we know what's next now.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jodi,
    Sorry to read of your Mom's diagnosis, I wish her all the best for surgery and pray all goes well for her.
    As for all the mini updates, everything is spot on as usual (overlooking the minor hiccups) I love how the tree house is coming along and the bookcase is splendid.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandi! Pure stubbornness keeps her going, I swear!
      It has been a struggle to concentrate and focus, so I will try not to put too much weight on the mistakes - I am sure there will be more! I am just so glad to be home, sitting at my table and joyfully working on minis!

      Delete
  5. Firstly, so glad your mom feels better. I hope it continues as such. What a worrying time for you all. And as for the treehouse, as a whole (and individually) it's looking amazing. Good save with the lighting wiring error - I make that mistake all the time! And I am really curious about your printer. I have one that prints photos quite well but it puts out so much ink, it's impossible to print on basic printer paper, vellum or printable fabrics. It is hard to get a good balance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I am glad the treehouse allows for iffy construction otherwise I'd be facing lots of do-overs! But then again do-overs help us to hone in on techniques that improve us. Mistakes really do end up being for our own good!
      The printer is the middle range Epson Eco Tank. It retails for around $500 though I saw it everwhere for around a hundred dollors off. It is a massive step up from my bottom of the line Canon, and I have beed overjoyed at the color, saturation, settings and overall performance with it. I still have a few tests to run through (when I find time) before I am ready to give it my full endorsement. A big one is to see how it pairs with the Cricut Maker with Print Then Cut. But here's a link so you can start researching it for yourself: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096N9JMXF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      Delete
  6. Hola Jodi,me gusta mucho como has disimulado los olvidos del cableado, desde luego quedan muy bien y como dices con alfombras ni se notarån! Me encantan las pequeñas casas de muñecas para las chicas que con sus preciosos libros de lectura, estoy segura que pasarån muchas horas entretenidas!!
    Me alegra tanto saber que tu madre se encuentra mucho mejor!! Espero que después de la cirugía y sabiendo el tratamiento a seguir, su recuperación esté encaminada, hay tantos progresos en el årea del cåncer ! Nosotros estamos pasando por dos de ellos con mi cuñada y mi cuñado y los dos se encuentran muy bien! Mis pensamientos positivos estarån con vosotros!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias Pilar! ¡Es fantĂĄstico escuchar noticias alentadoras sobre los tratamientos contra el cĂĄncer! ¡Espero que su BIL y SIL estĂ©n libres de cĂĄncer cuando finalicen los tratamientos! Mi mamĂĄ ama a su urĂłlogo y siente que estĂĄ en buenas manos, lo que la ayuda a mantener una actitud positiva. Y se siente mucho mejor que en meses. Estamos agradecidos por el indulto.
      Ha sido muy divertido hacer cositas para las niñas, terapĂ©utico, de verdad. Pero ahora debo intentar conseguir el techo de esta casa del ĂĄrbol mientras tenga la oportunidad. La culpa por mi proyecto inacabado ha sido realmente irritante Ășltimamente, ¡jajaja! ¡Muchas gracias por tu amable aliento!

      Delete
  7. Has usado una ingeniosa manera para esconder el cableado. Me asombra la forma de hacer la estructura que utilizas, pero reconozco que queda estupendo el resultado final Preciosos los libros y mini-casas.
    Espero que todo le vaya muy bien a tu madre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel! Es muy difĂ­cil intentar explicar la visiĂłn que tengo al equipar estos kits para que parezcan un desastre durante mucho tiempo durante la construcciĂłn, ¡jajaja! Con suerte, cuando se coloque el techo y se encienda la chimenea de la gran sala, todo quedarĂĄ claro. ¡Gracias por todas sus amables palabras y continuo apoyo! ¡Abrazos!

      Delete
  8. Dear Jodi, I hope things are getting better with your mother and I wish answers and good news are on the way. Your work with the girls house keeps getting better and better, the floors are awesome and you found a very clever solution for the wires. I love how their bedroom is looking and those little houses are gorgeous, I hope you find the way to make them available because I would love to give it a try, as I say, they are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! Mom is doing really well after the surgery. Hopefully by early February we'll have the stage and the plan. She loves her doctor and feels as though she is in good hands. That is such a blessing!
      I will definitely figure out how to make the dollhouse and shelf projects available and hopefully soon! It is so much fun basking in all things little girl!

      Delete
  9. Tus progresos son fantåsticos , tus chicas estarån encantadas con todo lo que las estås preparando. Me alegro que tu madre esté mucho mejor , es muy buena señal que esté tan animada, es la mejor forma de afrontar la operación. Te deseo lo mejor , un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Rosa MarĂ­a! Es cierto que sentirse apoyado, confiar en su mĂ©dico y sentirse fĂ­sicamente bien en general puede marcar la diferencia a la hora de afrontar un desafĂ­o de salud. Somos muy afortunados de tener este respiro desde la Ășltima estadĂ­a de mamĂĄ en el hospital. ¡Estamos orando para que continĂșe! ¡Realmente disfrutĂ© haciendo las cosas para Alice y Goldie! PodrĂ­a pasar muchas semanas en su habitaciĂłn, pero probablemente necesiten poner el techo pronto, ¡jajaja! ¡Abrazos!

      Delete
  10. I love how you do some of the decorating before you even finish the structure. Sometimes the boring stuff really needs that puff oh, isn't this pretty. Laying floors and adjusting walls, etc, isn't the glamour we need for our creative souls. Love your projects, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! I really do enjoy the freedom of being able to do things in any order that inspires me. Because I had been away from the treehouse part of the project for so long, I just felt I needed to reconnect to the spirit and the excitement of what my vision was for the girls. Doing the bookshelf and then the dollhouse got me right back into the mood and cascaded me into everything else. I love feeling the inspiration!

      Delete
  11. Thanks Betsy! Your kind words make me feel productive! As for drawing them yourself, I know what you mean. If I had your artistic ability I'd want to draw all the illustrations, too! You'd create incredible books of ever you decided to put your talents that direction. With my distracted thinking these days, I am so glad to be working on the treehouse where sloppy paint, uneven floors and covering up oopsies are a-okay!
    Thanks for kind support about mom, too. I am glad that she's so strong and basically telling everyone to trust her instincts and not to hover. I am going to enjoy her being her for as long as it is possible. She's wonderfully inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This will be a fantastic house and yes it already is. All beautiful corners and rooms and colors and the dolls fit in nicely too. Still a lot to do but already beautiful to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonda! There is still so much to accomplish with this project and the ideas just keep coming! At some point I am going to have to say 'Enough Is Enough' and leave well enough alone. As long as I am still enjoying the process I'll keep going. Getting the roof fit and finished is the major step that is currently keeping me engaged. If only I had more time and less distraction!

      Delete
  13. I'm really glad to hear the surgery of your Mom went well! I'm not so sure about the self-dismissing part but maybe we should concentrate on the positive aspect of that as would be she's feeling fine and is strong enough to be stubborn... eh... stand in for what she wants. *smile* My best wishes for good news and for learning about the next steps and challenges soon.

    And I see you've made the best of this very bad waiting time: Your progress is amazing. Btw - not that I forget to mention this: Oh, what a wonderful post! ;O) And I had to smile about the little imperfections the different stain caused... my, show me a house where all floors are equal... and why would we ever want this? A little variety here and a little difference there is good in the end... even more if the different floor colour of the balcony area can be taken as some safety mark: No running and rushing here where the floor colour is lighter! *LOL*

    And it's such a relief that even you make small mistakes... and no surprise that you easily managed to heal your wiring issues. For me this is one of the reasons why assembling is not on my favourite tasks-list... always the pressure: Did I think of everything? Have I fixed, decorated and covered everything before I'll have no more chance to do so? But on the other hand... let's be thankful for helpful covering rugs!

    It's good to see you starting with decoration stuff now, according to me you deserve a little fun after all these big tasks. And speaking of fun... the shelf and the dollhouse you made are awesome. However... the tiny dollhouse made me wonder: Why am I not surprised that you even installed teenytiny stairs??? *grin*

    Best wishes and go on making little girls happy! The first photo showing Goldie and Alice doing their happy dance on the bed made me smile all over. But they have every reason to do so... finally progress on their home... and what a progress! I can't wait to see a picture of the girls in their stunning new chairs enjoying their new books in front of a warm fire while enjoying a good cup of hot chocolate... or perhaps in Goldie's case a bowl of porridge. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! Mom is mom and you gotta love her moxie! We are hoping to get the biopsy and scope results next week or the week after. đŸ€žđŸ‘ŒđŸ™

      It is strange because I have been afraid to really dive back in to minis, like almost afraid that doing so will break my vigil for mom. It is probably wrapped up in my grief in being confronted with the fact that she is not always going to be here. It is odd because I know so well that staying busy on things that keep me looking forward is the best therapy.

      You are kind and funny about my "small" mistakes! đŸ€— I am not sure if my mistakes are because I have so much on my mind or simply that my mind is not what it used to be, lol! This menopause thing is REAL! Anyway, doing things over and over actually helps me learn and is a good reminder that things happen FOR us and not TO us. 😃 I am just glad a treehouse is supposed to be janky, for rugs that hide things and that I am not working on Versailles, lol.

      I'm so glad you like the girls' things and thanks to you when it comes time to decorate their room for good you have gifted them so many wonderful things for it! I made a special little stand for the sunflower terrarium and can't wait to share it with you. Oh and Goldie's porridge cookbook will have a major focus, as well!

      Big hugs, my friend! I am heading over now to catch up with Fluby and Rosey! 💗

      Delete
  14. The little bookshelf and mini dollhouse are so amazing! And the little books! You make such wonderful things for your dollhouse characters! It's so nice to have the distraction of a dollhouse when things get rough. Praying for your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Minis are such joy therapy for me so it's important to make time for them even in the midst of troubles. Being an artist, I am sure you feel the same. I hope you are finding opportunities for your pursuits just now, and finding inspiration in forced adventures. Thanks for the prayers! I am sending some your way, too!

      Delete
  15. The girls are very happy in their new room. The dollhouse bookshelf and tiny dollhouse are wonderful.
    I'm glad to hear that your mother is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! We are all so relieved that mom is feeling better even as the road ahead holds many challenges. It is so much easier to cope when you feel well enough to tolerate mundane daily things. She wears out faster but at least now knows naps and early bed time is admitting defeat. Making these little girly things has been amazing release for me and I am just so grateful to have minis!

      Delete
  16. I'm late reading again but I hope you have the answers regarding your mom's condition soon! I'm sure the girls appreciated you working on their rooms while you were waiting. (I swear, when I read that you hate waiting I got the image of Inigo Montoya almost pouting while he waits for the Man in Black to climb up the cliff.)
    I hope you do figure out how to sell your dollhouse and dollhouse shelf designs. I love those and they're so cute! Plus if you figure those out you could also sell your fireplace and kitchen cabinet designs. (Hint, hint.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila! You are never late and it is always nice to connect with you! I am constantly behind lately, too, and hopelessly unoptimistic that that is going to improve any time soon. I laughed at the Inigo Montoya reference - that is me totally!
      Mom's consult is Friday and will be her first ever Zoom meeting. Since I am not there with her we are hoping all goes smoothly! Mom feels optimistic and other than being easily tired is feeling pretty good. We're hoping the treatment doesn't take that away from her.
      I really wish that Cricut would make it easier for us to export our work. I wouldn't even mind a reasonable fee for Premium DS membership. Once I have a chance to really dive into the issue, I will find solutions. Unfortunately, this year is crazy packed so far and just mundane tasks seem to take me longer. Ugh.

      Delete