Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, October 26, 2023

A Little R&R For Roz & Rozario

Finishing Roz's bed last week had me feeling pretty good about my progress, but I couldn't forget the "functional" part of my promise. She was definitely going to need a place to hold her nighttime things. It had to be the right height for reaching the reading lamp from her bed, be big enough to hold her current book and glass of water, have a storage drawer to securely stow her wand, have display space for more books and tchotchkes, fit into the limited bedroom floorspace and still feel "feminine". Oh Boy! I had my work cut out for me! I got some measurements then got to work designing the perfect nightstand in Design Space.


Once the pieces were cut, I decoupaged strategic sections with some very pretty scrapbook paper and assembled the chipboard parts. I made trim pieces with cardstock to overlay on top. The tabletop is finished with the leftover fruitwood stain from the Chrysnbon table kit I made for the breakfast nook. Waste-not-want-not, right? The chipboard takes this stain nicely. I added a fancy pull to the drawer and Ta-Da! Very pretty and yet "functional", too! The solid purple cubby gives a nice contrast to but will not compete with whatever Roz decides to store and display in there. As you can see, I had assembled it before adding the rose buds to the bed posts. It still needed many accessories to make it "function" well for Roz. 


First we'll talk about her lamp. It was part of a Chrysolite Mantle Lamp kit set from my stash. I loved the compact size, but it needed a larger base. I added a fancy spacer bead to the bottom and then a small round wood circle, which I cut a channel into so the wire could exit the back. I painted it a unifying black, then gave it an aged bronze finish with glaze, burnt sienna and dark brown paint. Its aged bronze look matches all the other lighting fixtures in the project.




The alarm clock is a Playmobil piece that Birgit sent to me in a Christmas package. It is adorable, so all I did to it was add a bubble of "glass" (UV resin) to the clock face. The vase is made up of more mulberry buds and flowers and secured in the vase with UV resin. Little Women is one of Deborah's wonderful books from her Etsy shop. The bottom cubby is stuffed with books covered in pretty scrapbook paper and a potted plant I made. That should give Roz a good start to the "functional" part in her bedtime ritual!




When it came to addressing Roz's floor, I knew she needed a rug. Stepping from a warm bed onto a cold floor in the winter is not my idea of "functional" - it's enough to make you stay in bed all day!

 Unfortunately, I encountered loads of challenges trying to get this job accomplished. First was finding a rug photo for the round room. There is not much to choose from, surprisingly, when searching for "Round Purple Rug". Maybe I am just too picky?

I attempted to change the color of rugs with patterns I liked, but with unsatisfactory results. I learned how to change objects in a vector to a different color, but could not find a suitable vector image of a rug.

 I finally found a pretty purple rug photo, but it was layered on top of several other round rugs. This prompted me to learn how to cut out a circle shape in Inkscape (very helpful!). Unfortunately, my low budget, eight year old Canon printer thinks purple is the color of red wine. I have done all the tutorials to calibrate the colors, many times, with no improvement. It's just not that versatile.

As its final insult, it refuses to feed my velvet paper through regardless of the settings I choose. No nice piled rug is ever going to come from it. I won't even allow myself to contemplate the cost of the ink I've wasted all these years. 

Below you'll see the rug on the left is the one I sent to the printer, the one on the right is what I got... Yuck!


I am not one to give up easily. So, thinking through all my limitations and options, I decided to print a rug I liked in a light color scheme and then color several elements with markers. It didn't come out too bad but it still really wasn't what I had in mind.



Throwing money at a problem always helps, right? LOL! But I did finally break down and buy a new (and supposedly much better) printer. The rug I printed on the new printer using cotton printer fabric came out much better than the one from the old printer, but it's still not fantastic. Until I have time to play with materials and settings, I am calling it good enough, for now.


Moving on! The next functional element Roz needed for her bedroom was a place to sit. Since the floorspace was going fast I decided to make Kris Compass's Parson's Chair Tutorial from her website. If you are new or unfamiliar with Kris' tutorials, I encourage you to go explore. They are fabulous! I was able to reduce my pattern to a more appropriate size for Roz and her room. It is maybe 1:16 scale now - perfect!




Before we get to Roz's bedroom photos, let me share Rozario's nook furnishings. Aside from his bed, there will be a wall shelf and a floor shelf to house all his treasures. Because of the curved walls, I made the shelves out of Sonotube scraps, again. I primed, painted in a metallic purple and added gold Dresden detailing to match his bed.

Floor Shelf Back

Floor Shelf Front

Wall and Floor Shelf Primed

Wall and Floor Shelf Painted and Trimmed

I let Rozario go through my stash and take anything he liked. I also made him some board games and books. A special ~Thank You~ to Johnny's momma and to Birgit for passing so many of these great minis on to me. I will treasure them and make sure they are put into use, eventually! Here's what we made, gathered and spruced up in Rozario's favorite colors...

Toys

Books~Games~Family Photo

Board Game Printies

Rozario also asked to have a photo of his heroes, the dragons Draco and Tschang, to hang above his bed. He wants to be as honorable and as powerful as they are when he grows up. And if he feels like misbehaving, the photo reminds him to expect a little visit and some words of... encouragement from the pair.



And then Rozario and I got to load his shelves! We had a ball! By the time I got the camera, Rozario had, eh hem, "adjusted" some things. 😊 He is so excited about his new toys and his bedroom!!! If you've never seen a fire breathing dragon blow bubblegum bubbles, let me tell ya - it's a sight to see! We had to make an "outside only" rule for everyone's safety.


And here is the furnished nook...



And here are Roz's finished bedroom elements together...


And placed in her room. She hung framed photos here and there of Fluby, Rosey, Rozario and herself.



And with all the lights on...




It was a lot of work to get here, but finally, FINALLY! Rosalinda and Rozario will get to enjoy a little R&R in their new bedroom! I can't tell you how great that makes me feel!





They love their new spaces, and for the first time, maybe ever, Rozario didn't complain about bedtime!

If you have been keeping track, my friends, that leaves only the parlor to finish in the trunkhouse! Then it's back to work on the treehouse part of this project. Wayne and the girls have been so patient! But with the leaves rapidly falling, the need for indoor living space is becoming urgent! No time to stop and celebrate the trunkhouse progress yet. There's still so much more to do!

xo xo,

Jodi

34 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like a cozy little nest. You have done careful work for it. I also like the book on the bedside table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mummu! I may need to add dressers, somehow, but for now at least they have places to sleep.

      Delete
  2. It is way too early in the morning for this! and I got up late. I love it all. At first I would have said I love the Playmobil clock simple because it's a Playmobil, but you have done such amazing work. The chairs would fit nicely in any room. Chris most certainly is the go to person to learn how to make minis. The night stand is awesome and authentic. You make magic happen with chipboard. Finally, learning how to customize shapes from the DS tools takes a lot of time and patience and you have mastered that skill, too. And all the little toys; such fun. I get not started on printer problems. They are the bane of our electronic existence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! Playmobil really has some neat accessories and it is wonderful of Birgit to share them. Kris' tutorials really get your brain thinking about how you can utilize everyday supplies to make authentic looking minis - such a treasure! Having the Cricut is such an incredible resource and I enjoy designing and making furniture so much! As for printers, it is so hard to find one that gets good reviews that you can trust. So many times you end up buying more of the same problems. I am hopeful about the new one and will share more as I get the opportunity to test it.

      Delete
  3. ¡Encantador y muy acogedor!
    Has hecho un gran trabajo con la alfombra aunque no sea lo que tu querĂ­as. Queda muy bien, asĂ­ como la silla. Preciosos todos esos juguetes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel! Esta fue un årea divertida en la que trabajar con muchas oportunidades creativas. Realmente he disfrutado este género y la historia.

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about the screen/computer colour problem, I've had that happen too and it's so frustrating.

    The bedside cupboard and chair are perfect additions to Roz's room, I am over the moon with all your finished pieces and the final rug being a darker shade looks great in your photos, so I'd keep it if I were you.

    Each time I pop over I learn something new from you and leave inspired.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! I'm happy that you like the way the room has come together. I have had a lot of fun with the opportunity to create each of the elements! Being inspired is such a great frame of mind to be in and I am glad you find that here! Your great ideas inspire me, as well! As for printers... I'd really have thought by the end of 2023 they'd be farther advanced and able to perform better but I remember my old 2002 HP doing a much more amazing job at everything. If I was smart enough to know why I would surely pick a better piece of equipment. Hopefully this new one will at least save a fortune in ink!

      Delete
  5. Everything in this room is wonderful, Jodi!! You've made such a cozy, delightful place, and I'm in love with everything! The little alarm clock! The chair! The Little Women book! There are so many details, I could look at these pictures for hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Now that the basics are in place, the pair can settle into their new home a bit. I foresee them adding new necessities with time so I hope the fun of this place will continue!

      Delete
  6. Oh Jodi! Yo no podría ni dormir de la emoción si tuviera esa maravilla de habitación! Roz y Rozario han tenido que chillar de la ilusión de ver su pequeña guarida!
    Todo es perfecto, la mesilla, los juguetes, los libros, los adornos y esa perfecta alfombra que te ha dado tanto trabajo, pero que realmente valĂ­a la pena! Y la lĂĄmpara de la mesilla, que con tanto acierto has acomodado.
    A la espera del salĂłn!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Pilar! ¡Es fantĂĄstico ver cĂłmo mis planes y sueños se hacen realidad para estos maravillosos personajes! ¡Realmente estoy disfrutando de todas las diferentes cosas que puedo hacer para el proyecto! Abrazos

      Delete
  7. Wow! You never cease to amaze me with your fantastic ideas. Roz bedside table is beautiful, as well as functional. I love the wand in its special drawer, and of course everything on top. The rug is perfect for the room.
    Rozario too has been pampered with beautiful pieces of furniture and toys.
    Thank you again for sharing your work.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I am so glad to have the equipment and supplies I need to make whatever these guys need! It is liberating not to have to wait for the mail or my mini budget to get things accomplished. And meeting the challenge has its own set of rewards! Big hugs to you!

      Delete
  8. Well done Jodi! Everything is so sweet and perfect and no detail missed. I haven't been able to do minis or a lot of anything for a while for almost 2 yrs cuz of eye problems so it is wonderful to be able to follow your progress. I am looking forward to the rest of this project. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I am so sad to hear that eye trouble has kept you from crafting! My own eyesight is less and less effective with every year (and prescription), and I worry about about this very issue. I hope you have found something creative to do to replace minis because I know what a joy it is to create! I am so happy to have you along on this journey and I am sending big hugs!

      Delete
  9. Siempre es emocionante disfrutar de tus entradas, son fantĂĄsticas ; las devoro de principio a fin, pues todo esta pensado al milĂ­metro. Un habitaciĂłn encantadora ,me ha encantado. Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa MarĂ­a! ¡Estoy muy feliz de tenerte aquĂ­ y muy agradecida por tu amable apoyo! ¡Espero haber dejado suficiente espacio en el salĂłn para todas las necesidades de Roz!

      Delete
  10. The parsons chair is beautiful and so are Kris's detailed instructions. I've also visited her site for great tutorials and made the same chair, in different color, though. The coloring of the already printed, light-colored rug sounded astounding but I see that you got a new printer and finally printed it. The shelves are just great! Another example of how one can turn waste into something so beautiful! If you didn't show what they were made of, no-one would believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millimari! I am so happy that you like how the bedroom came out! The most wonderful thing about Kris' tutorials is that they teach. You learn so much about the possibilities of the materials and how things go together that soon your own creativity is set free! She and her web site are truly tremendous gifts to our mini hobby, and I hope she knows how much she is appreciated!

      Delete
  11. Wow Jodi, it looks spectacular! I’m sure that Rozario and Roz are thrilled to have a place to call their own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! They have experienced the gratitude of going from homelessness to security and comfort! There is no greater or deeper appreciation than that. I am so glad to have been a part of that for them! 💗

      Delete
  12. The room looks fantastic, very nice details, beautiful toys, I also like the chair so much and I think the rug is beautiful, it goes well with it, very nice project, it's always exciting to see what happens next. greetings Gonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonda! It is so fulfilling to get to the point in a project where you see how your floating ideas are coming into reality. It is thrilling and addictive, and I know you are hooked on mini creating, too! We are kindred spirits! 💗

      Delete
  13. Rozario and Roze are very happy with new furniture and accessories in the room. The rug is wonderful and I like how you colored it. Thanks for showing the building processes of your minis, so I can learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! I am so glad to know that you find my posts helpful to your own creativity! That is my sole mission in sharing what I do and exactly why I love participating in everyone else's creativity, too!

      Delete
  14. Wow! You have been sooo productive! Two little rooms furnished to perfection. Everything looks great and love how you’ve laid out those tiny spaces. They look cosy without being crwoded. Love it. So much character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! It feels good to look in and see progress!

      Delete
  15. Oh, what a wonderful post! ;O) Not only because I've been able to enjoy and admire so many stunning progress and drop-dead-beautiful results but also because I learned a valuable lesson: There is "functional" and there is "functional" written in purple. *LOL* And the purple written "functional" is indeed the perfect functional for Roz - you thought of everything and it made me giggle that the drawer has the perfect size for storing her wand.

    Although I'm sorry to hear that Roz's rug gave you so much trouble and made you even invest in a new printer the final result turned out awesome. Even beings with furred soles appreciate warm rugs around their bed places - or in Fluby's case cozy strawberry slippers which Ilona once made for him. And together with this perfect chair which shouted at once to me "I'm the best and most perfect place ever to spend time with a good book during daytime" you've created the most wonderful, cozy and pretty dream place for Roz... and on top it's even feminine and functional (and if I would have had the option in the comment section I would have written this in purple *wink*). For sure the perfect place for a Fairy Beary Godmother to rest, relax and have the sweetest dreams.

    And Rozario's Emporium... WOW! No surprise that he couldn't wait for bedtime for a change. What a special place for a little dragon. And it was more than generous that you allowed him free choice of toys and goodies from your stash. But why am I not surprised that he's chosen the gumball machine?! *grin* And it made me smile to see all these dragon related things... my, Puff the Magic Dragon could not be missed.

    And do I even have to mention at all that it touched me deeply to see those pictures reminding those two of their old home?! And this special one Roz has chosen for the spotlight space over her bed. It made me smile that Rozario asked for a picture of his "heroes"... Draco and Tschang wanted me to let him know that they feel very honored... but that they would not stop to keep an eye on him.

    Btw I got in trouble around here as Rozario's Emporium (this might be a nook for other beings and from an architectural view too... but for a mighty dragon his home is his emporium) was very much appreciated and the teenage dragons of the Witch Towers started to bother me "When do we get our own space as beautiful as Rozario's Emporium???" And if you knew Ruby, Emmy and Purple as well as I do you would know those little brats... eh... darlings can be very persistent. I was able to stop them bothering me by reminding them that they have the most exclusive hobby in the world and that "Driving-the-Magic-Mirror-nuts" would be for sure an it-hobby... since then they're back to "Mirror, mirror, on the wall..." and the Magic Mirror refuses to talk to me. But I can cope with that... as he refuses since years to tell me the numbers drawn in the next lottery... eh... where was I... Wonderful work - you've woven once more this very special Jodi-Magic to create the most impressive places for sweet dreams. And now I'm curious to see the living space soon.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! I'm so glad you like the bedrooms for Roz and Rozario! They are your amazingly delightful creations and they deserved to feel like honored members of my mini community. Highlighting in purple the things that were imperative to Roz helped to keep me on task. It is too bad that our blog comments can't be more colorful - it would really help to emphasize our tone and personalities!

      Strawberry slippers? How wonderful for Fluby and because they were made by Ilona they must be works of art! I can't believe I didn't think of slippers am now going to have to make them, at some point, for everyone in the treehouse! I'm glad you like the slipper chair, too! If Roz is like me, she'll read in bed and use the chair to pile her clothes on, lol!

      It is so great to have your beautiful "home and family" photos to frame and scatter about the trunkhouse! I couldn't get good photos but there are a couple more in frames on either side of the bedroom's opening. I know Roz and Rozario miss everyone terribly, but Roz tells me that they often get to meet up with everyone in their dreams. The way that Roz and Rozario are looking at one another with love in the photo above Roz's bed conveys exactly the love I have for Rusty and Woodson. It is a lovely photo and no wonder it was the one Roz picked to feature!

      I am so sorry to have put you in an awkward position with your teenage dragons! I know they can be relentless when they get an idea stuck in their heads! Thank goodness they are also easily distracted. But maybe it would be fun for you to surprise them next year with bunkbeds? No pressure, just a thought. *wink*

      Thanks so much for your enthusiastic encouragement! I hope when I am finished with Roz's parlor she'll have everything she can think of for a happy and comfortable home!

      Delete
  16. Dear Jodi, I admire your creativity, skills and especially your energy and discipline to keep going. I want to get back to my miniature work but I am very lazy at the moment. I can´t even keep up with the progress in your blog, lol! I love what you have done for Rosalinda and Rozario, their bedroom is terrific and suits perfectly their personalities, every piece of furniture and accessory are just perfect! Very well done girl! ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! Mini inspiration comes and goes, so I am certain your mini fire will blaze with exciting ideas when you’re ready! Glad you like the treehouse project! I am having so much fun with it! Hugs!

      Delete
  17. Hi Jodi, I missed this post before somehow. I LOVE how the four poster bed, the slippes chair, the shelves and the rest turned out. The bedroom of Rozz and Rozario have turned out to be fabulous spaces. Great tip on what you have done with the carpet! I love the results.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Huibrecht! I just loved working through the challenges to make this room and then to furnish it for Roz and Rozario! This style of project has been on my wish list for a long time and I am so, so grateful to be able to finally work towards accomplishing it! I know that you feel the same with each milestone you reach on Huis ter Swinnendael!

      Delete