Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Saturday, December 30, 2023

The LEGO UP! House

Hello my friends! It has been much too long since my last post and I have missed connecting and being inspired by all the creative things you've been up to. I am going to keep this post positive so we'll move right on in to my newest creative pursuit. For the 'why' of the absence, I'll leave that at the end. If you don't like sad news, just ignore it.

My son Ande and I have always enjoyed seeing Disney and Pixar films together. Since the first Toy Story movie, it has kind of been our thing. Since he is a fully grown up thirty-something-man, our opportunities to see new movies together face significant challenges. But we still try to fold watching them into our family gatherings. We both hope that one day he will have a little one to share them with.

This year for Christmas, knowing that I had limited time, Ande and his fiancé Alexis (Lex) bought me the LEGO UP! movie house. It is absolutely adorable, so I couldn't resist getting started on it right away! What a joy it was to assemble! It kept my mind occupied and when it did wander, it wandered to happy times.


Russ has assembled many LEGO sets in the last few years, mostly Star Wars space ships. Each time I dust them I worry that they will fall to the ground, pieces exploding everywhere. Yikes! So I decided to glue mine together as I assembled. I read so many differing and conflicting recommendations for adhesives, but finally decided on Testors Liquid Plastic Cement. I would not recommend it as after letting the first pieces sit for a day or so, they came right apart. Next time, when I have more time, I will order Le Glue and give that a try. Luckily, my kit only included four bags and roughly 500 pieces. One of Russ' had 8000!!!


First came Russell, the boy scout who was working on his last badge: Helping the Elderly. His figure is adorable and so detailed - right down to his backpack loaded with camping equipment.


The rest of bag 1 consisted of mostly the first floor of the house. It was great to see so many of the references from the movie included in the details. Like the compass, the front door with all the locks Carl installed to keep the changing world away and the giant painting of Paradise Falls above the fireplace. I wish they'd had a way to incorporate Ellie's chair alongside Carl's like in the movie. Seeing her empty seat next to Carl's in the movie conveyed his loneliness for her in such an impactful way.


Bag 2 started off with Carl. One side of his LEGO face is smiling, and the other sports his all too familiar frown. I chose to display the smile, of course! I love that LEGO included his walker. And what a great head of hair he has for an old guy! I think this may all be 1/4" scale, as Carl and Russell are both about 1-1/2" tall.


By the end of bag 2 we see the bay windows and the second story taking shape.


Bag 3 starts off with Doug the faithful dog. The kit also includes his irresistible distraction, Squirrel (you'll see him later).


By the end of bag 3 we have a roof, the chimney, Carl's bed and TV and even Ellie and Carl's Adventure Book stored in an old crate!



The final bag was all about the balloons and display details. The kit provided a wedge for two fence pieces, a helium tank, the mailbox and Squirrel. 


It was cute but I thought the house deserved an actual display base so I set to work making one. I created the base using two pieces of 4-3/4" x 7" art board laminated together. I added a piece of model railroad grass to the top and lined the edges of the board with 1/8" x 1/4" basswood painted green to match the grass.


I wanted to keep the integrity of the LEGO set while honoring the original house and yard in the movie. So in Design Space I replicated the LEGO fence in the kit but also kept the gate design from the movie animation. 

Movie Screenshot


Lego fence, my fence and gate pieces.


I used Kraft cardboard for the fences and gate so I made several layers to laminate together. I made the gate wide so that I could trim to fit once the fences were in place.


The LEGO fences had bottom boards that lifted them off the ground, so I made basswood frames to tuck my fence board pieces into.


The movie house had decorative round finials on each gate post. I had some in my stash and made them sturdy by using a toothpick "biscuit" to join all the pieces.


Here are the fence sections installed on the display base. The gate functions with three kraft card hinges, glue welded, painted then Mod Podged for a secure bond.



Of course I had to take the opportunity to add some fun detail. I deconstructed the LEGO fence display piece and included some of the pieces on the display board. The helium tank will now sit next to the house. The mailbox has been installed (with toothpick) next to the gate (like in the movie house) and has a few blades of long grass, missed by the mower, protruding from the base. I installed two Squeeze Me bushes to the front corners of the yard. They are mounted on kraft card circles dusted with potting soil and secured with hairspray. And a couple art board pavers have been added. Squirrel has a permanent place on the fence post, affixed with a toothpick, and will drive Doug to distraction whenever he goes out for "business", lol!




And here's the display complete with the LEGO UP! house and all the characters that come with it. I hope to add a dust cover, one day.




And here's another peek inside...



What a fun distraction and a beautiful reminder of life's wonderful things! Thanks Ande and Lex! 💗

I hope to be back as soon as I can and to catch up on everyone's blog posts as I find the time.

Give all your loved ones some extra love today.

xo xo,

Jodi

Last July my mom began to experience significant back pain. She really dislikes going to doctors so decided to try and manage it on her own. I sent CBDs, some with THC and some without to try and give her some relief until the pain subsided or she agreed to see a doctor. The THC ones were great because she could finally get some sleep. Fast forward to November and her back pain still shadowed her days. I flew down with my daughter and mom finally saw a doctor. That doctor referred her to a urologist and a couple weeks later she got an explanation for her symptoms: cancer. Since then my family and I have moved into a new and sobering reality. Since then Mom has had more challenges, no real answers, no real plan and an unexpected hospital stay after an alarming complication. Back and forth my brother and I go to Arizona, to support, spend time, encourage and love my parents through this process. We are all praying for a better picture and a plan after her surgery on January 19th. The first surgery was postponed for a month in the hope of getting mom strong enough to have it. A blood transfusion helped her to feel much stronger so she may have one more before the surgery. If there is a bit of good news it is that her back pain has mysteriously disappeared. Minis, though an invaluable source of calm and joy for me, have obviously taken a back seat. I'll do what I can when I can and post as it is possible. Small and portable projects might be the answer in the near future. Your prayers and good thoughts for our family are so appreciated!

24 comments:

  1. Sending hugs and prayers for strength and comfort your way. I am so sorry you are going through this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your UP house is amazing. I have this on my list and love how you've added your own elements. Great job! Sending you hugs and blessings for your mom's journey and recovery. Though we've never met, I'm holding you and your family in my heart. X Chy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Querida Jodi, tu trabajo con la casa UP ha sido maravilloso, de por sí Lego ya hace muy realistas todas sus piezas, pero tus añadidos para que fuera más fiel a la película han quedado perfectos!!
    Siento muchísimo saber por lo que estáis pasando, espero que puedan daros buenas noticias con tu madre, es tan doloroso ver sufrir a un ser querido, ten por seguro que todos mis pensamientos positivos están con tu familia, mucho ánimo cariño!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry, dear Jody, about your mother. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the surgery will be successful. At least, the pains have are less, a small comfort.
    You have to be strong and patient and always positive. I know this from experience. My love to you and your family.
    The Lego house is adorable.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drora! That is such good advice and I will try to adhere to it. So much of this is out of my hands but I can guard my thoughts and be loving in every situation. I hope that you are coping well in your tenuous circumstances, too. Big hugs!

      Delete
  5. Dear Jodi, The little LEGO house is Adorable! And I understand how comforting to just assemble a kit when times are troubled. And you even went the extra mile and made an awesome "landscape" for the house to live on!!! (My boys played with LEGOs all the time and we still have a bin full of the pieces! They never just made the model as it was supposed to go.... that was round one and then the fun began! LOL)
    As for the sobering information about your Mom's illness, I am sending you love and prayers and hopefully time will bring better results.(My Mom went through something similar two years ago, and she is still with us at 92 yrs old and thinks she might make it to 100!) Only time will tell, and no-one can predict the future. Keep yourself strong and keep the love flowing and live the faith.... I am sending you prayers that the surgery goes well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! Ande was a big LEGO fan growing up, too. It sounds like your boys got a bit of creativity from their talented mom!
      It is so encouraging to hear that your mom survived a health scare and is still going strong at 92! It helps to believe what is meant to be will be. I know having us circle the wagons around mom has helped her to feel supported and not alone. Come what may we will be there to find resources and help her through the challenges. Thanks for your prayers, Betsy!

      Delete
  6. Los juguetes de Lego siempre son muy entretenidos y tienen resultados fantásticos como el tuyo.
    Espero que la operación de tu madre sea un éxito.¡Mucho ánimo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! Ayudaron con una buena distancia durante este período de espera. Esperar realmente puede ser insoportable.

      Delete
  7. Querida Jodi , mi corazón está contigo, mucha fuerza y esperanza en la cirugía.
    Seguro que los pequeños trabajos te servirán para mantenerte un poco distraída ; tu trabajo de lego te ha quedado precioso ,un gran detalle de Ande y Lex. Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias Rosa María! ¡Mamá se sentirá muy apoyada al saber que todos mis lectores le envían pensamientos curativos!
      En cuanto a mantenerse ocupado, es realmente el mejor mecanismo de afrontamiento. En cualquier momento puede que necesite volar de regreso a Arizona, así que intentaré mantener mi espacio de trabajo ordenado, ¡jajaja!

      Delete
  8. Oh, what a wonderful gift! ;O) Your children picked the best thing for you they ever could! The kit itself is stunning and it's even more awesome if you like Disney and Pixar (However... could anybody not??? *LOL*)... but at this special point in your life it was the perfect thing to get your worried mind some needed rest. I really keep my fingers crossed for your Mom's surgery to go well, for her to win this cruel battle and above all lots of strength for you and your whole family. The coming times will be very demanding for all of you and it only adds to the troubles that your parents live so far away. My very best wishes are with you and yours!

    But when dealing with things we can not change and can just cope with it's even more important to get yourself some energy back by keeping yourself occupied with something leading to lovely results the easy and fast way. And what would be better than a Lego kit and even more Carl's house? It is so detailed and lovely... which makes me wonder how they could ever spare Ellie's chair? Limited space is no excuse - it's one of the most important motifs of the movie! And regarding the detailed sticker sheet I was really wondering why they did not add the handprints for the mailbox... Well, dearie... you already started to make awesome additions with the garden base so taking out your markers and add what's missing to the mailbox will be another nice little job for you. And after that you might consider meeting your 3D printer to make them print round balloons which actually look like balloons and not like lollipops. Sorry, but you started to make realistic additions... ;O)

    Okay, I can't deny it... I'm a bit demanding when it comes to those important details - but that's because I like the movie "Up" so very much. According to my modest opinion the intro is a masterpiece and true art. The ability to tell the story of two lives in only a few minutes without using any words takes my breath away. It needs a lot of talent to touch the viewer so deeply... and to switch to totally funny in the next scene when the now-story begins with Carl waking up. The contrast between what we see when he "drives" downstairs on his lift while the music is playing the Habanera of perhaps the most fiery and sexiest woman in Opera history is priceless. *grin*

    With my best wishes and big hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Birgit! The coming times are going to be hard and I just hope that I can be a comfort to my parents as we learn our way through them.
      I do find I cope better with stress when I can keep myself from spinning in my head about things I can't change. Staying busy and putting my mind on idle is imperative. The LEGO kit was a great way to jump back in after weeks of absence. No decisions, just follow directions. 😊
      The lack of Ellie's chair and the handprints on the mailbox really do seem like a huge misstep for LEGO. Maybe if they had pushed the house into the $100 range rather than the $50 they would have been able to make space for the chair, but a handprint sticker would have been simple. I plan on rectifying that and a few other small details in the future. I really need to add Kevin to the roof!
      I couldn't agree more about how the movie told a beautiful story and helped the audience feel the love between Carl and Ellie with no words. Truly beautiful, and no matter how many times I watch, I cry> A then I hold Russ a little bit tighter for weeks (until real life comes back and ruins the romance). It is one of my favorite movies, neck and neck with Shrek. 😊
      Big hugs, my friend, and thank you again for your kind thoughtfulness!

      Delete
  9. Oh, Jodi, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. ❤️
    The Lego house is fabulous! What a fun project! And the Lego dog is beyond adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! Thoughts and prayers bring miracles and healing, and I am so grateful for your kindness!
      It was such a good experience assembling UP and it allowed me to remember that even in times of trouble, joy can get mixed in.💗

      Delete
  10. Dear Jodi, I am so sorry to hear about your mum. My prayers are with you and your family in these challenging times. I hope your mum´s surgery goes well and she is in the path of recovery very soon. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alex! I am grateful for your prayers and well wishes! Mom will be touched to know so many are holding her up! Big hugs! 💗

      Delete
  11. Jodi I'm so sorry about your mom. I hope the transfusions give her more strength so her surgery is successful. I'm sure having you and your brother supporting her is invaluable.
    The house is adorable! I love your yard best of all. Doug needs his outdoor space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! The waiting is hard on everyone, her especially, but as long as we can keep her comfortable and relatively pain free, we're grateful.
      Thank goodness also for the mind occupying blessing of minis! Even LEGO ones! 💗

      Delete
  12. Your Lego house is adorable. A different project than usual.
    I hope your mother is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! It was a nice change of pace. Hopefully, we'll know more about mom after this Friday's surgery.

      Delete