Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, November 30, 2023

Step Into My Parlor...

Hi Guys! I am so happy to post today and share with you the final room in Roz's trunkhouse... The Parlor! At just 9-1/4" in circumference, it's a bit on the cozy side, but by using almost all the available space, Roz should have all she needs to warm up, relax, read and provide her Wish Granting services to the forest community!


Roz loves books and loves to send her favorites home with clients to read. You see, in addition to offering Wish Granting services, Roz is also a bit of a Life Coach. She wants to educate her clients about how to not only Wish for their Dreams, but to Work toward them, as well! To suit her need for lots of self-help books, I've created two bookshelves and built them to contour the room's curved walls. They are comprised of Sonotube backs, chipboard inner curved shelving, then nice, stainable wood for the top, bottom and shelf front trim. The tops and bottoms were trimmed after assembly so they could be scribed perfectly to the curved walls.



I needed to make lots of books for Roz but only had to provide the covers and wood dummies with gold edging. Her magic will make them real in her world.


I also provided various paper plants to give life to the room. Her magic will take care of the "alive" part, too.


Lucky for me Birgit sent some really neat décor items and parts to make more pieces in her Christmas packages over the years! Including the neat Moonflower Miniatures Palm kit shown above! She included this gift in her package with Roz and Rozario. I just knew it had to go in the parlor. You can see below that I was able to make two palm plants from one kit! They were so much fun to make! Thanks Birgit! Goldie and Alice will get to have one in the treehouse, too!


Here's the first shelf loaded up. Birgit sent the adorable froggy, the wooden heart (I painted it purple then applied a coat of UV resin to make it shiny), the wooden bead and metal bead cap, acorn cap bowl painted gold inside, the succulent (which I removed from a coffee cup and put into a clay pot)  and the adorable glass bead made into a jar. The rest of the stuff came from my rapidly dwindling supply of mini accessories. I was happy that Birgit's wonderful gifts finally had a proper home!


The second shelf looks similar with just a few different décor pieces. Some things, like the turned vase and geode, were survivors of the old dismantled Bigfoot gift shop.


The philodendron plant is made from leaf sheets sold by Mary Kinloch. I used varying shades of alcohol ink to color the leaves. I had a great time making it because it brought back nostalgic memories from when I was a kid in the 70's. They were a really popular plant to grow back then and every home seemed to have one. Kind of like pet rocks. They are a vining plant so you'll often see them with moss covered poles in their pots to climb on. Mary's instructions give great detail!


Funny story abut the "R's"... You may see a few visible dents in them, even after I sanded them, a lot. The dents are from puppy teeth and serve as a good reminder to myself that when I am puppy-sitting my son's dog Rosie, I need to make sure to close my craft drawers, lol! She likes to "help" by bringing me things from my drawers. She doesn't have opposable thumbs to grasp things, so her teeth have to do the carrying job! Unfortunately, they leave marks! She's a good girl... with sharp teeth!😊


I altered a House Of Miniatures Queen Anne Tilt Top Table kit by removing the tilting piece from the assembly. I also shortened the center leg. It is now the perfect coffee table height and makes it easy for Roz to access her Crystal Ball during Wish Granting services. Don't tell anyone, but it doesn't really show Roz a client's future. It's important to Roz to put on a good show, and because the clients believe it's predestined, it actually does help them to leave the session feeling much more confident in their own ability to Reach Their Dreams.

The crystal ball was made from a clear glass globe with a single hole. I squirted alcohol ink inside and rolled it around periodically as it dried. It is adhered with Gem Tack on top of a metal "crown" finding and then adhered on top of two spacer beads that Birgit gave me. I just had to repaint them in purple.



I also made a HOM candle stand kit to use as a side table for an extra lamp. 


With most of the accessories made I could begin to load Roz's parlor. I added 1/2" legs to the fronts of the shelves before gluing them into the trunkhouse. This allowed me to rest the back of the shelves on the 1/2" baseboards. They tuck right under the window sills so my measurements were perfect!. I like the way they flank the parlor stove but don't dominate the room.


And for a homey, warm feeling, and area rug. I am so happy that I did the annoying research and bought a new printer! Seems like I picked a good one, finally! It prints the color I see on my PC screen and I look forward to no more rug printing trouble! Though I still have yet to test it on my velvet paper. I'll let you know how that goes and then share the printer I purchased.


There is even a doormat for Roz in her favorite color!


Before I loaded in the rest of the room's furnishings, I needed to get the lights hooked up. Between the parlor stove, sconces and table lamp, there were six lights for this room. I consolidated the wires for this floor and got them ready for the much bigger job of consolidating the rest of the trunkhouse's wiring. I performed this final wiring test with the actual Evan Designs transformer and am super happy with the amount of light these 12 volt bulbs give off. I can't wait to see the rest of the trunkhouse all lit up!




At long last, I invited Roz in for a look at her parlor. She was so delighted with everything, and that makes it all worthwhile! I have a few more things to load in, like art for the walls, some baskets and a vase of fresh flowers, but I'll let Roz live in the space a few days so she can tell me how things are functioning first.


Roz invited Goldie over right away so that she could help Goldie map out the steps to making her Cookbook Dream Come True. Goldie loved Roz's parlor and asked me. very politely, when I thought maybe her treehouse would be finished. Oh sweet girl, I promise to get moving on the treehouse again just as soon as possible. Gulp!

I Wish there were more hours in every day and that they passed by more slowly! Got any Magic for that, Roz???

xo xo,

Jodi

29 comments:

  1. A really nice home, everything is nice and cozy. The door makes the biggest impression, it has magic and mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mummu! I got that door at Auntie Em's miniature shop in 2017 and I just KNEW it was going to be a very special feature on a future build, someday! It feels so GREAT to finally be able to enjoy the dream come true!!!

      Delete
  2. Another beautiful cozy room, the chairs are fantastic, I love the beautiful plants and the stove is also great, very successful room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonda! It makes so happy that your wonderfully creative eyes like how everything come out!

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so amazing! I can't even choose a favorite thing among all the wonderful items in the room. The books, the plants, the Rs, the rugs, the crystal ball - it's all fabulous! I'm looking forward to learning more about your printer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! It never stops surprising me how mini rooms can just eat up décor items! You can never have enough! I highly recommend your looking at Studio E Miniatures blog. Elizabeth is a master at filling a room and setting a scene. You'll leave inspired and awed!

      Delete
  4. Dear Jodi, What an amazing job you have done with Roz's Trunk House!!! I can understand why she is so happy! And I know you can understand how powerful the magic of these little Bears is! :):) They kind of take over the creative process.... and with great results! :) You have become a master pattern maker with the design for all the furniture that must fit inside a circular shape! Bravo for such an accomplishment! And the crystal ball with alcohol ink is sheer genius!!! Beautiful color and a rub-proof surface! I do hope people don't hear Roz admitting that the crystal ball is not really showing them things.... it might make some believe other crystal balls are not really working either.... and I happen to know otherwise! You have made a cozy and detailed and beautiful home for Roz and Rozario! And I must admit I am like Goldie.... I can't wait for the tree House to get your creative energy again!!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I'm so happy you like the way Roz's parlor came out! It may be because I adore her so much that her magic spell has me happily creating a life for her, but I am sure having fun! It is really very special to me to have a hand made Bi Wu Bear from Birgit! You are so incredibly lucky to have a whole Cloud Palace full of them!!!
      It has been a lot of fun to make rounded things, and the frugal side of me is tickled to have gotten so much from a $10 Sonotube, cereal boxes and scrap wood, lol!
      The idea for the alcohol ink magic ball was born of the need to color a glass bead from my stash that had a tiny access hole. Liquid is much easier than paint! I'm just glad it worked!
      The truth behind Roz's methods will never be known. She really is very good with her smoke and mirrors, and she has enough real magic talent that it won't be a problem. I foresee her helping thousands to make their wishes and dreams come true using all her talents! Plus, I have no plans to install any laptops or smartphones into any future forest dwellings. The secret is safe!
      I am awaiting my shipment of Fred's Weathering Stuff and then I can start back up on the treehouse. I need it to stain the flooring before I can make any progress, and the stuff is no longer available at miniatures.com. I found some at another online retailer, but other stuff in my order was backordered so my shipment is on hold. It is hard to be patient knowing Alice, Goldie and Wayne are depending on me! Soon, I hope!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love it all. As I have said before I always enjoy all of the wonderful accessories and pieces that you create.Your rooms are always so completely furnished and accessorized. Even the plants. I've made that Palm tree and it is a fun project--I just couldn't get the color correct. Bravo, Jodi. Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I'm so glad you like the décor! The room was small enough that I got away with relatively few things for the shelves - thank goodness I could fill up a lot of the space with books! When I get to the treehouse, I will likely need to fire up the 3D printer and make several things for Alice, Wayne and Goldie. I can't believe it has been almost a year since I 3D printed anything!
      The Moonflower Miniatures kit that Birgit sent me came with pre-colored leaves. For the Ruffle Fern leaves from Mary Kinloch, I used a combination of Ranger Alcohol inks in green and mixed with the same brand blending solution. I love the way it bleeds the colors together as it looks more natural to me than paint. After I the ink had dried, I colored the edges with a little orange-y chalk pastel dust to further vary the colors. It looks great in person, but the phone photos didn't really pick it up. Ah well, they still add life to the scene!

      Delete
  6. Roz's parlor is full of magic, No one but you could solve the problem of filling a round room in a way that that looks natural. Thank you for sharing how you made the shelves to fit into the walls under the windows. They are stunning. Roz and Goldie look comfortable warm. Wonderful work, as always.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh WOW! This parlour looks so incredibly cosy Jodi, I could curl up in there no problems. All the pieces you made look lovely and I love the palms (the colour of the leaves really compliments the decor). Making my own plants is something I haven't attempted yet.
    Having enough hours in the day for creative play is something we are all short of and somehow the days get shorter as we grow older. It would be nice to have a nose like Samantha (the witch) that we could twitch to take care of all the mundane things that devour our time, like housekeeping & cooking. 😉
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! I really enjoy making plants and flowers and I love how they liven up a mini scene. I hope you get the opportunity soon to give a kit a try. I think you'll find another marvelous talent inside yourself!
      Don't get me started on the housekeeping and cooking! I am so board with and so over doing all of it! Unfortunately, I have this built in responsibility mode and no matter how I stomp my feet and whine I still succumb. I love having a neat and tidy place to live in and I love to see my husband happily eating a good meal. I just get soooooo muuuuuuch more satisfaction from mini "work". In my next incarnation, I am definitely going to negotiate for having a full time chef and housekeeper, lol! 😜

      Delete
    2. I'm with you there. I would definitely love to have a chef & housekeeper ... perhaps we could ask Santa??? Have a Happy Christmas Jodi!

      Delete
  8. It looks great Jodi. The bookshelves make good use of the space and I love all the details. I am interested in what printer you bought. I haven’t had a good one in years that can do the things I need it to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I had just enough space for the essentials in this cozy room. When I get to the treehouse's great room, I'll have the opposite challenge! I feel like I have limped through, clumsily, with my old printer for years, too. I am hoping that once I have run the new printer through its paces I'll have a good recommendation to share!

      Delete
  9. Realmente el salón ha quedado cálido y acogedor. Perfectas la brasas de la estufa!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel! Por suerte acerté con las brasas en el segundo intento, ¡jajaja!

      Delete
  10. Oh, what a wonderful post! ;O) However, this time there was something I truly dislike... and this right at the beginning of this otherwise awesome as usual post - I may quote you: "the final room in Roz's trunkhouse" *sigh*

    But okay, I'm going to comfort myself by telling me that there's still some decoration needed, that the exterior needs to be done and that there's a big treehouse waiting to get your attention again. And let's not forget it's that special time of the year again... there are rumours about special Christmas decorations being on their way... small and not impressive but very bearsonal... So for now I'll take my comfort from enjoying everything you've shown us and sharing Roz's happiness. I sent her to the right builder of dreams! No doubt, it's not only Roz who is able to do magic at your place. *smile*

    It's impressive how you've managed to add so much living quality to this very limited space. Everything is inviting, cheerful, cozy without being crowded or stuffed. I have no doubt that Roz's customers will go home happier than they arrived just from spending time in that beautiful place. And about the other secret thing... my, what happens in the blog post stays in the blog post. *grin* Oh, and it made me smile to hear the background story about the R's... looks like little Rosie thought these R's were hers.

    Thanks for cheering me up a bit... because now I'm going out for yet another (and hopefully the last) date with my Meant-to-shovel-this-da*n-cold-white-stuff-away-tool. The you-know-what stuff came falling the whole day long... *sob*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit, and I know just how you feel. 🤗 About the project coming closer to the end AND about the weather this time of year. We don't have the white stuff... yet (so sorry for you!), but the wet and dark and gray stuff is definitely in charge. Boo! There is a reason why Christmas (sorry I said it out loud but we're already almost a week into December so denial has become futile if not unfashionable) is placed during this time. The debate continues as to whether it may or may not be the ACTUAL DATE of a certain person's birth. But it definitely helps to keep the people in the cold and gloomy places on Earth having somewhere to focus their energy and give them hope!

      I am going to pass right over your next paragraph so that I don't sound greedy but let me assure you that I have butterflies in my tummy and can't wait for more love from Germany!!! The treehouse gang is going to have wonderful surprises for Christmas! 🎅🎄🎅

      The trunkhouse could not have become the magical place that it is without you, Dear Birgit, and your amazing gift of the most beautiful Fairy Beary Godmother to ever be created! Roz is going to be a gift to her community and help so many creatures and all of that is thanks to your kindness! 💗 I just happened to be the lucky builder who got the job!

      Don't do too good a job on that shoveling! You know that more will come and cover your work with no regard to the effort (and calories) you expended! At least when you go back inside treat yourself to a few special delights that this season brings. It's a great way to enjoy the season!

      As for all the other feels you have to endure again this time of year, I see you shining through all of it and I could not be more inspired or more proud to call you my friend. By talking about it and sharing the truth of how hard it is, you are helping so many others who are struggling with loss, too. You may never know it, but trust me, they are there and so grateful to you! 💖💖💖

      Big Hugs!

      Delete
  11. That mini frog has got to be the cutest ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to be such a great prop for Roz should anyone come around hoping to become a prince, lol!

      Delete
  12. Oh it looks wonderful! I'm so behind with everything this year! I need to go back and read your older posts.
    The bookshelves are my favorite! I love that they curve to meet the walls. They look so inviting around the parlor stove.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a wonderful room. The furniture is perfect. And the atmosphere is almost magical with the sphere in the center. Fabiola

    ReplyDelete
  14. Roz´s parlor is heaven! Dear Jodi, Roz is not the only one with magic. You have it too! You make magic with your creativity, skills and good eye and create the most wonderful spaces. I love Roz´s parlor, it´s just perfect, you did make the best use of all the available space and made it warm cozy and above all so beautiful. I envy Roz, I want a room like that for myself. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alex! Happy Holidays to you, as well!

      Delete