Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, September 14, 2023

Some Finishing Touches For Roz's Kitchen

There were a few things to finish up before Roz could invite the whole treehouse gang over to have the first celebration in her kitchen. I had to wait for my liquid hairspray to arrive so that I could pin and spray the aprons into a "natural looking hang" when placed on the pegs of the shelf. I learned the liquid hairspray trick many years ago from the amazingly creative Casey of Casey's Minis. She's got a wealth of knowledge from her decades making minis, and though she rarely posts these days, she is still often thought of and appreciated!


And finally this last shelf for the kitchen can be checked off the list!


If you remember from the chair cushion tutorial, I still needed to finish up the ties for the chairs. I was able to adapt the bow making video from Heather at My Mini Front Porch for my 1/8" ribbon. I added them to the cushion ties (all 16 of them) and I really like the "fairytale" look this gives to the chairs. Roz's chairs all match the one on the right and the other two are Goldie's.





Once the chairs were finished I made a runner and a vase of flowers for the table. It is ready to be set now with all the goodies for the party. 


Roz and I went back and forth on whether or not she wanted curtains of any kind. She didn't want to block the light or interfere with her herb pots in the kitchen window, but she does really love how a nice café curtain adds to the décor. So, the compromise was to add a floral swag valance above the half round windows in the breakfast nook. It won't block the light but still adds the charm she loves so much. 


Just a side note here for anyone building a trunkhouse with an addition in the back with no access except through the main room's opening... Decorate the room before you attach it! Holy buckets it is nearly impossible to reach in there and if you can manage that you'll have to guess where to put things because you can't see past your own arm!!! I hope the valences are fairly straight and close to where they are supposed to be because there are no do-overs!

Sneak peek - still needs touch-ups.

The final, final touch was preparing all the food for the party. Roz asked me to help because she wanted the treehouse gang to be surprised. Believe me - I warned Roz that my worst skill in life (besides sewing) is cooking/baking. Oh, I make a few good things, but they're limited because I really prefer anything else to being in the kitchen. Unless I am cooking with company. Then it's fun. I told Roz since we were doing it together I would be her sous chef.

No matter what the fairytale is, there always has to be a little reality behind the "magic". I got out all my food making stuff (a lot of it acquired and never used when I was planning Pound Cake) to see what I might be able to learn to make quickly. I had some molds and some Hearty air dry clay. I mixed a little dough color into the clay, brushed the molds with cornstarch and made a few loaves of French bread, some tart crusts and some crackers. 


To add the fresh baked look I brushed on some Tamiya Baking Master chalk.


I filled the tart crusts with lemon and strawberry slices and "cherries" (no hole beads). I made the appropriate color sauces using UV resin and artists chalk. They came out pretty good.




I wanted to make a few cakes, too. The more I made the greater the odds at least one would come out well enough to use. I had a bunch of 3/4" round chipboard circles left over from some project or another, so I stacked them into "layer cakes". Half would be base painted "chocolate cake" and half "white cake". I found that by drilling holes and adding toothpick handles, I could do a better job decorating them. Spinning them to paint on the "frosting" was genius!


You can see in the background a bunch of Bundt cakes, too. They were leftover from the last time I experimented using molds and air dry clay to make food. Three are "chocolate" and two are "vanilla/lemon". This was beginning to make me very hungry! 


All the chocolate cakes got a layer of "frosting" - Mod Podge mixed with a little "chocolate" paint made a lovely ganache. One got "nut sprinkles" added to the sides. I think I got the nuts on Etsy but a lot of my dessert making supplies came from Stewarts Dollhouse Creations during the planning of the bakery project.

I was trying to put the nuts on just the sides of a white cake, too, but wasn't careful and got it on the top. That left me no choice but to cover the whole thing with nuts. Then you could still see the white frosting under them so my fix was to paint "chocolate" over it. Now it's a Nestle Crunch cake. Sounds delicious, right?!? See? Good thing I made extras for accidents!

I had roses from Stewarts, a pineapple cane, Tamiya Deco SaucesSugar Sprinkles and 3/8" wooden furniture plugs that I made simple cupcakes from. The hardest part was deciding how to use my ingredients to decorate each one and then being brave enough to try. I'd say they came out pretty well and after I pick some things for Roz I'll have a good start on the bakery's displays.


Speaking of displays... back when I was planning the bakery I bought some things to experiment making cake stands. I thought gluing plates on top of vases from Natty Collection on Etsy would make unique cake stands. I really like the way they turned out.



I had cabuchon settings and various metal bead caps and spacers to try out, too. Since Pound Cake has a black-white-gray color theme, I painted them all black.


And here's what I ended up with, though Roz's party preparations are still not finished!


Hopefully, and with some focused effort, Roz's kitchen and her party will be ready to share with you next week! 🤞🙏👷‍♀️

I'm going to go take a nap now! 😜

xo xo,

Jodi


28 comments:

  1. Lovely and cozy products you have made, you should be a miniatures teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mummu! I share what I can here but so appreciate the brave and knowledgable miniaturists who demonstrate on their YouTube channels!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You do know how to throw a party with so much yummy food. I'm not sure exactly what my favorite part is; everything is so perfect and beautiful. I'd have to go with links that you provide for extra information. I love the aprons. I've known about the hairspray trick, but I've never used it. And the rose valance is perfect. The chairs inspire us to customize some kitchen chairs, too. Lovely, Jodi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! There are so many different little crafts to play with in every room of a dollhouse that it never stops challenging or thrilling me! Hope you find inspiration when you visit the links!

      Delete
  3. Wow, Jodi, for a Beginner mini cake maker, you sure hit a Home run!!!Those look amazing!!! I just had breakfast and it wasn't anywhere near enough.... I need some sweets! LOL! I especially love how ingenious you are with "fixing" the "oopses" and knowing just "what" they became! :):) The Nestles Crunch Cake does sound worth a "real" go! And your cake stands are wonderful inventions too! I love those fluted bases with the "flower petal" plates on them! Perfect for a Fairy Tale Tree House!!! As for the aprons and window swags.... they are such "eye candy" all by themselves.... I just can't wait for the reveal!!! (And yeah, it feels like "pin the tail on the donkey" trying to aim into a tiny space!) Keep up the Great Work!!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! Someday I might get a little braver and break out the polymer clay again. It seems like something that could carry me right down the rabbit hole. For now I am trying to stay focused on this project for fear of wondering off on something else again. As you know getting taken by the wind happens way too easily in this hobby!

      Delete
  4. I haven't eaten in three hours and now I'm HUNGRY! Everything looks so delicious and now I want to go crazy trying to make mini baked goods.
    The chairs and aprons are so sweet. I really adore the bows!

    I so know what you mean about decorating before gluing. You can make yourself crazy trying to get things perfect.

    Can't wait to see how Roz's friends react when they come to her housewarming party!
    I really need to go get a snack now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I am truly sorry to have infected you with sweet cravings, too! I still can't find "it" so am chewing a lot of sugarless gum, lol!

      Delete
  5. Me encanta la forma natural que han tomado los delantales en la percha y lo preciosas que han quedado las sillas, se ven encantadoras!
    Todos los dulces que has preparado están diciendo "cómeme" ,que apetitosos y coloridos! Y los soportes quedan geniales!
    Me imagino las caras de los amigos de Roz cuando lleguen a la fiesta y vean todos esos exquisitos manjares!!!
    Yo voy a desayunar ahora, me tendré que contentar con mis tostadas!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Pilar! Me alegro que te guste cómo están quedando las piezas para la cocina. Estoy disfrutando el proceso de hacer todo, aunque sigo sintiendo este malestar interno diciéndome que se hace tarde. Las tostadas son buenas para el desayuno, ¡especialmente si van acompañadas de deliciosa mermelada!

      Delete
  6. Your cakes are mouthwatering. Just looking at the amazing collection makes me run to the fridge. I love the chairs and the aprons, in fact I love all the incredible items in this post.
    BTW, Roz is very lucky you agreed to be her sous chef.

    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I am so glad you like how Roz's kitchen furnishings are coming along. I am sorry to have made you hungry, too, and I hope you have something in that fridge that satisfies the sweet tooth! Hugs!

      Delete
  7. Jodi, I am blown away by this post! Everything is so cute! The cookbooks! The aprons! (And good info about the hairspray technique!) And the baking! Oh my goodness, the baking! What a fun party that will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! A miniaturist never gets board or runs out of challenges, but she is often low on glue! 😜

      Delete
  8. Hi Jodi!
    How is White Rain different from any other hard to hold hairspray? I ask because I've never seen it here and wondered of any brand would provide the same effect. I'd like to try this on curtains.
    I love how the chairs turned out. I'm particularly impressed by the results you achieved with the satin ribbon, the bows look beautiful. Doing them the way you have probably wouldn't have worked as well with the silk ribbon.
    The rest of your post made me SO HUNGRY. LOL! All the cakes look fabulous, real and so yummy ~ I learnt so much today, thank you!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks X! The White Rain is probably similar to all the super cheap pump super hold hairspray brands that you have available to you. This is a Walmart brand here in the US. I have used aerosol hairspray before, too, and it works, but not as well.
      I hope you get to try the chair cushions for your girls! It was super fun!

      Delete
  9. I never cease to admire your perfect miniature skills! The chair cushions are just fantastic as are your cakes and other delicacies! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millimari! I see all the imperfections but try not to let them bother me, lol! It is so much fun to work with all the crafting mediums that being a miniaturists affords you. I hope by sharing it gets my readers creating and enjoying their own craftiness!

      Delete
  10. Your food looks great Jodi! No-one here is going hungry that’s for sure! I may not be amazing at it, but I really enjoy making mini food. Also the chairs and aprons re gorgeous too. Your little people will be so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I think it would be kind of fun to get all the supplies out and play with food making for a solid month. You'd end up learning so much, and then you'd have scene props for a long time to come! If only my work table was larger or I didn't have so many things in the midst of construction at one time!!! Like so many things... someday!

      Delete
  11. I really like everything you created. And thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! Maybe you can make a bakery! The desserts are fun!

      Delete
  12. Me encantan los delantales y esas maravillosas tartas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel! ¡Me divertí mucho haciéndolos todos!

      Delete
  13. You know I usually start my comments with "Oh, what a wonderful post!" - but sorry, not this time. But don't get me wrong... this post is wonderful as every post you publish... but da*n... I'm hungry now!!! But it's evening here and I need cake now, that's far from being wonderful. CAKE!!! Help!!! S.O.S. (ABBA again... oops)

    A deep bow for the results of the bakery meeting of Chief Rozalinda and Sous Chef Jodi... you make a very good team. All the baking goods looks so yummy... btw, did I already mention that I am in need of cake now??? Okay, to be honest, there was one comment around here which was a bit... ehem... critical, well, a single opinion of somebeary who shall not be named due to reasons of discretions who pointed out that strawberries were totally and absolutely underrepresented... Mr. X even shouted "SCANDAL!!!" But to even this out there was another very enthusiastic opinion muttered about the pink cake with the roses on being the most yummiest, promising and prettiest cake this special commentator has ever seen. And according to a third opinion everything looks so tempting and mouthwatering and this third opinion is desperately in need of some cake now...

    Maybe we should better concentrate on something else... the beautiful aprons which you put into perfect shape. Always at paw when needed while baking delicious cakes (Cake... I need cake!!!). The flower bows were the perfect compromise and you made a good job attaching them against all resistance. Now they can watch Roz while she's baking her delicious caaaaak... noooooo... topic change... The bows you made for the chairs are awesome, so neat and pretty. With our without tutorial, I would only manage to produce bows of all kind of sizes. Yours turned out so lovely and the chairs are now so cozy and inviting, for sure the right places to sit down, enjoy yourself and have a piece of cake. Oh my, I better should hurry to the next post now... although I fear that this won't calm down my need of some cake... cake... I need cake... ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! I am so glad you like the cakes but so sorry they made you hungry! Having a sweet tooth with no sweets in the house is no fun! I think that is why cinnamon toast was invented, lol!

      It is funny that a certain someone noticed the lack of strawberries. I was aghast to discover that I had no whole strawberries left in my stash. Then I realized that when I made Tasha's kitchen, I had given her virtually all of my food props and never replaced them!!! Please tell that certain someone I have 20 delicious and juicy strawberries, and a whole lot of other garden staples, coming soon from "across the pond". My next desserts should be more acceptable to him. I am happy that at least one of the peanuts from your gallery approved of one of my cakes!

      I hope you have had a chance to go shopping and brought home some cake! I had to turn to Halloween sugar cookies because there was no cake and luckily, they hit the sweet spot! Hugs!

      Delete
  14. Hey Jodi, I have read this post soon after you published it and I could have sworn that I had written a comment. But apparently not. I love the tips you give to all of us. I have taken some on and used them on some of the finishing chores for lady Anne Belle's dressing room.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Huibrecht! You are never late and always welcome! I am so glad to know that you were able to use something from the post in Belle's dressing room! I can't wait to get on over to your blog and catch up on all I've missed! Where on Earth did November go???

      Delete