Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, August 10, 2023

Running Water

It doesn't matter whether you live in a fancy McMansion or a pioneer log cabin in the woods. Let's face it - running water is a necessity! It is one of the first things on the priority list of every housing project everywhere in the world. And a trunkhouse made for a Fairy Beary Godmother is no different.


Thank goodness the folks who will inhabit this multi-family forest abode have Wayne, the resident handyman/craftsperson. Practically as soon as I had that Chrysnbon Dry Sink kit completed Wayne was working to address the "Dry" part. First, he drilled a hole in the sink for the water to escape through. Then, he installed the drain and pipe system. Don't ask me where the water will drain to - that's Roz's department (though I suspect that she has some magic recapturing system in mind for watering her flowers).

Pot metal drain and pipe purchased on eBay.

It can be handy to be so small!

Sometimes it takes two pipe wrenches for the job!

Once the sink was ready to receive water, Wayne could install the source of it. Again, please contact the "Magic Department" for technical information. 😜

Wayne went with the same pump system that he installed for Goldie and Alice. It is a reliable method, after all, so why reinvent the wheel? Everyone loves the classic, rustic patina! And when your sink already has that "lived in" look, a messy cook is so much more at ease and can concentrate on her cooking.


When it came time for the H2O, Wayne only had to provide the infrastructure. Roz's magic did the rest! A simple piece of plastic packaging, bent at the right angles was the substrate for a UV resin waterfall. 


Add a drip, shine the UV flashlight and keep going until you like the flow rate!


On and off.

Wayne got to be the first one to wash his hands... Looks like I'll need to make some soap!



And then Roz and Rozario got in on the fun! The gang is celebrating being one step closer to moving in!



Thanks to some amazing knowledge and great advice from Betsy and Julia, I knew what a Victorian cook stove and a parlor stove's fire light should look like! Thanks so much, ladies! I'm so grateful for your help! 

For the parlor stove, I added a bottom to the Chrysnbon kit. As it comes, the kit's bottom piece is actually a grate so the light shows through. Both advisers said that for a coal stove (any stove, really) that is a bad sign! It means the bottom is likely rusted through and a very unwelcome event is imminent! We don't want that - especially in a trunkhouse! After installing a solid bottom, I added an extra orange LED bulb in the main compartment to give off better ambiance.

Original kit design with bottom grate.

Light leaked out the bottom before.

With piece of cardstock glued in to block light.

Firelight with one bulb under "coals".

Now with extra orange LED chip light added.
No need for a sweater in the parlor!

For the cook stove, apparently there should not be a great amount of light from the flames coming out the vents, as that is also a bad sign. I am going to leave the cook stove's "fire" as is.

With a couple major tasks completed for Roz's kitchen (and the parlor), it was time to think about food and dish storage. With round walls and a very cozy amount of space, it was prudent to go with open shelving like in Medieval times. I utilized more Sonotube scrap for the back of the units (because it is already curved perfectly), then just added horizontal chipboard shelving at the lengths and depths I needed.



I painted and added trims, then gave them a little aging with an antique linen ink stamp pad. It seems to go on well, then I turn my back and the ink practically disappears. Anyone else have that happen? Maybe it just dries a lot lighter. I'll keep working at it.


I am working on gathering and making all the things Roz will need for a fully functioning kitchen. Luckily, I have many "prototypes" left over from the 3D kitchen item adventure I went on last fall. Hopefully, Roz will like them. She's going to need lots of groceries, too. I hear Rozario eats his weight in food every day! 

Until next time...

xo xo,

Jodi

18 comments:

  1. ¡Tienes una maravillosa ayuda para conseguir el agua!
    Me encanta la estufa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! ¡Le pasaré tus cumplidos a Wayne!

      Delete
  2. Oh! Ese fregadero con agua corriente es perfecto, que gran trabajo ha hecho el Sr. Wayne, desde luego sabe hacer de todo, quizás le tendría que contratar para mi casa real!!!
    La chimenea me gusta mucho y con la luz parece que hay un fuego auténtico!
    En cuanto llenes esos estantes, la cocina cobrará vida, estoy deseando verla!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Pilar! ¡Ojalá pudiera utilizar a Wayne en mi casa de la vida real también!
      ¡Los artículos de cocina están llegando, aunque mucho más lento de lo que parece tener paciencia! ¡Supongo que todavía necesito aprender paciencia! ¡Abrazos!

      Delete
  3. I cracked up at your plumber under the sink...so cute and creative. Love the stove---we had one almost exactly like that in my parent's 1853 cottage...in Wisconsin. We called her Nelly and polished her lovingly. However her unique grate began to fail and it became a danger...my dad gave her to an Antique collector friend. I have no idea what happened to her, and she was replaced with a 1970s franklin stove... but not the same. Adorable stuff here on your blog! sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! Wayne really is pretty funny and adorable little guy! So helpful, too! Nelly sounds like a treasured family friend! I remember many cold winters in Montana and my grandma's kitchen stove was a popular fellow! We still talk about him, though no one thought to give him a name, at gatherings to this day!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jodi! Your "plumbing" looks wonderful! The "waterfall" you made for the sink is Awesome! And it is so fun to see Wayne enjoying himself under the sink! (Do plumbers ever really enjoy that?) Lol! I have to confess, that the "Cloud Palace" reality is quite different from The Trunk House... being completely ungrounded and rather floaty! LOL There is no plumbing (blithely explained away by Me when commenting that clouds are wet, after all! All they need do is drape a dish in the cloud and it comes up clean!) :):) The extremely Tiny kitchen Hamish Harry has to contend with has only the fireplace, tiny oven (an afterthought!) and the shelves for supplies (in the Medieval style!). Oh, and the "Cloud Lotus Fountain", of course....! But Blue has no love of cooking which is why Hamish Harry came... and he is resourceful! I am so looking forward to seeing Roz cooking at her Wisteria stove with a lovely apron on! And those shelves you have made.... Wow! I took a look at your Medieval Kitchen picture collection (I love those kitchens!) and it made me chuckle to see your lovely lavender "Medieval style" shelves! :):) You are a whiz with embellishments! As for the parlor stove safety upgrade, now I have confidence the Trunk House will be warm And Safe! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! We have a close friend who has owned his plumbing business for 50 years. He loves being the boss but sends the young guys into all the tight spaces! Smart cookie! 😜 The Cloud Palace's water cloud method sounds Heavenly and so much more efficient! And I really love Hamish Harry's efficiency kitchen, too! If I only had to feed myself, I would be like Blue and could easily go weeks without cooking! I rarely ever enjoy doing it. Yes, Roz definitely puts her purple spin on everything - even Medieval kitchens! I am working on her aprons and believe me she wants a lot of them!!! Thanks again for the stove tips! Thanks to you the trunkhouse will be Safe and Warm!

      Delete
  5. This post just brightened my day! I love your sink & plumbing & running water! Everything you do is so lovely! I need a magic department in my own house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! A resident with magic skills definitely makes life in the dollhouse much easier (and much easier to explain)! I highly recommend it!

      Delete
  6. Oh I love your water! I saw your comment and was like 'quick, go read before you forget!'. I need to take pictures of my water stuff for the blog. I can't ever remember what its called just that people use it for model train water all the time.
    The sink looks wonderful and those shelves are going to be so pretty in the space. Perfect for Roz. And the stove came out great with the cardstock on the bottom. You're getting such a pretty glow out the glass now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I am sure all the "Inquiring Minds" would love to know! I have used so many different water products over the years. Ones that "guarantee" to stay clear are now cloudy, ones that claim "no yellowing" are now yellow. I've only been using the UV resins now for a few years so time will tell, but I sure like how quickly they are Ta-Done!

      Delete
  7. I am amazed again how beautiful this project is, beautiful windows and how beautiful the ceiling has become. And the furniture is also great and the stove, everything is just fairytale beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonda! I am really having s fun experience with this fantasy build! Now if only life's responsibilities would leave me more time to play!

      Delete
  8. Wayne must be a common plumber name Jodi, the plumber who did our kitchen sink installation was also called Wayne. LOL! It's nice to see that yours did as good a job as ours did...aren't we lucky we both have great plumbers?
    The stoves and the shelves look awesome. I am so pleased to see the lace trim on them, it's such a nice feminine touch that I'm sure Roz will adore.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks X! I am loving the freedom to frill, lol! When I was looking to name Wayne, I wanted something very masculine. Apparently, the name means "craftsperson" so it fit him perfectly! My uncle Wayne is also a bit of a rascal, so I figured it must be a trait found in most raccoons. 🤣 Good plumbers are hard to come by so send yours home with cookies after every call! 😜

      Delete
  9. Oh, what a wonderful post! ;O) As usual I enjoyed it to the fullest - and thanks to Betsy and Julia I can now be calm that a certain unwelcome event is no longer imminent! I can only agree that we don't want that... neither in a trunkhouse or anywhere else.

    Sadly I have to disagree with you when you said "Let's face it - running water is a necessity! It is one of the first things on the priority list of every housing project everywhere in the world." Sorry, not EVERY housing project... I know a very weird somebody (of course I'm not telling names due to reasons of discretion) who built homes for furry and even one not furry witch without running water. And even worse - Fluby, Rosey, Bowler and Gertie Gumthrop do not even have a kitchen at all while Magica de Spell has a kitchen in the Old Witch Tower but without running water and not even a sink. But I'm somehow a bit proud of you that you happened to understand the concept of "With a little magic ANYTHING goes"! *LOL* Roz's magic will for sure do what needs to be done... and Wayne will take care of the rest. Oh, how much I loved the photos of him installing the drain and pipe - priceless and soooooo cute. Btw that's another thing I really enjoyed in this post... your fellows gain personality and are taking over your blog... Keep on going, guys... I love to see you appearing in the pictures! (Big surprise, I know *grin*). And a little funny side note... when I looked at your second picture it seemed to me that the pieces were painted in a similar light purple metalic paint like the one I used for Rozario. For a very small moment until I looked at the next photo which made it pretty clear these were "silvery" still I really thought Roz insisted on her favourite color even on the drain and pipe. *teehee*

    The running water effect and how you've created it is stunning; it looks totally awesome. But I have one question: In one photo you've shown two pumps with the note "on and off"... are you going to use both according to your story or photo needs? You know... like Betsy is changing her lilac trees to the seasons? Yes, I'm curious... but I really would like to know about the on-and-off-pumps. ;O)

    And speaking of curious - I'm already looking forward to see the decorations you're going to spoil Roz with. Whatever she and you are going to choose... they will find the perfect new homes at the gorgeous shelves you've created. Absolutely stunning work - and so much fun to follow every step you take.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! I am so glad you enjoyed the post and like to see the gang doing what they do when we're not necessarily looking! 😜 And I am learning fast that it is not love alone that conquers all. When all else fails, there is Magic! 😄

      No kitchen at all or no sink? That sounds SMART to me! I wish I'd have thought of that for my house! Then I'd get to have yummy Take Out delivered every night and never have to cook or wash a dish again!!! In my next incarnation I'd like to come back and live in your world. It sounds like all fun and no work! But I'd like to live close to Fluby, if possible. His cakes always look amazing!

      Yes, I am really going to use both the "on" and "off" water pumps as they are appropriate to the situation. Don't you think it would be a little annoying to have it on all the time? Even if the sound of running water didn't make me have to pee, I just know there would be some environmentalist out there waiting to chastise me for wasting a valuable resource, lol! 😜

      Roz has done her best to explain to me the way she'd like her kitchen to be stocked, and an even better job of how she'd like it to FEEL. You wouldn't believe the amount of pressure I have put on myself to give her exactly what she wants. I feel so incredibly lucky to have her living here, and I want so much for her to be happy! It might take several weeks to achieve such a huge goal, but I am determined to see it through! I hope you'll agree when all is said and done that the kitchen is perfect for her! 💗

      Delete