Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, August 17, 2023

If You Can't Stand The Heat...

Don't work on the kitchen!!!

Hi Guys! What a week! Summer always seems to pull me away from minis, but add heat to the equation (anything over 85 degrees), and my productivity plummets! If I am plopped right in front of several fans I can reasonably cope. But when temps get to a certain point there's just no relief from the heat. Call it my reasonor if you prefer, my excuse, but due to an increasingly common (and unwelcome) PNW heat wave, I have little kitchen progress to share. I do have a few good things started, though!


At my desk with 3 fans blowing in the room.
That's 36 Celsius, my friends. 
At 12:34 AM Wednesday, it was still 88!

I did try to tackle some items. The first thing Roz's kitchen needed were groceries. I had Grocery can blanks to make labels for, so I decided to make a few other common food labels/packages, as well. Some products I already had perfect digital images for and only had to resize them. Some labels were readily available with Google searches. And some things I totally made up on my own. Fairy Beary Godmothers should use products like "Nice Flour", "Sweet's Sugar" and "Friendship Coffee", don't you think? 



And I know Rozario, like every growing dragon, loves to eat his Chari-O's for breakfast! 


It's easy to measure for how large to make a label when your grocery item is a box, but what about making a label for a dowel or canned goods? If you're lacking a bendable ruler with enough small increments, it's a challenge. Luckily, we live in modern times when Google makes it almost like cheating! Finding out how long to make a label for a simple oatmeal container, for example (and all your cans), is only a few keystrokes away. The number you need is is the Circumference. If you're like me, it's been a LONG TIME since you had to remember that factoid! 🤯

First, you'll need to find the Diameter of your dowel. Measure across the widest part of the circle. Or to find the Radius, measure half of the circle (the results will be the same). Enter the Diameter (or Radius) into the circumference calculator and you will know the Circumference (the minimum length in inches you need to wrap a label completely around the dowel).

In my case, for my Rolled Oats canister, my dowel is 5/8" or a .625 Diameter or a .3125 Radius for a Circumference of 1.9635 inches. That means if I make my label around 2" long, it will leave just a little extra to overlap. 


Thanks Google! That was easy!


I also wanted to include a few glass canning jars and some honey. Polymer clay canes, alcohol ink and UV resin made quick work of this task! 

Last fall I made 3D printed egg cartons and little separate eggs to go inside them. It was fun to finally use them, though the "brown" I mixed up for my eggs needs a little more adjusting. Next time Tasha brings me her farm fresh eggs, I'll use it for reference and keep notes!


I worked on some cookbooks for one of Roz's shelves. Some will open and some are "just for looks". Though she could totally whip up a delicious meal with just her wand, she actually enjoys the whole cooking process! 


I made a ton of aprons (actually, only 8 😊), figuring I might as well do some for Goldie while I had all the stuff pulled out. I still need to make them hang in a natural looking way on their hooks (they're not for Flat Stanley, after all!), and to add the bows to the ties. But they're just as cute as I'd hoped for! At some point Roz and Goldie will have to have a fitting, too.


One very special thing I worked on will be a surprise for Roz. Shhhhh! Don't tell! She misses the old gang back in Germany so much! She'll be delighted when she sees this framed photo of her, Rozario, Fluby and Rosey taken by Birgit just before she set sail (or wing?) for America! It will be hung so that she can see her dear friends as she starts each day at the breakfast table. There will be lots more "family photos" in various places throughout the trunkhouse, too.

Fluby, left. Roz, center. Rosey, right. Rozario, front.

You all know by now how much joy I get from minis, but the most unexpected and precious thing I have received from being involved in this passion is the opportunity to meet and connect with so many kindred spirits! It is because of Birgit's kindness in creating Roz for me that I get to work on this wonderful trunkhouse. And because of the trunkhouse, I have received another amazing gesture of kindness from a longtime reader and friend, Sharon. You see, Sharon's talented husband and son made a gorgeous epoxy river table for their family game room. When Sharon saw it she thought a mini version would be perfect for someplace in the Fairytale Treehouse project! She shared the photo and asked me if I thought so too. After I got up from falling out of my chair I said "Yes! YES! Yes, Please!!!" 😄😄😄

Here is the table Sharon's husband and son made for her... Incredible, right?!?

And Sharon's pretty toes! 😍

And here is the mini version made just for me!

W~O~W! 😍

So beautiful!

Isn't it absolutely jaw dropping?!? It is hard to tell with my wacky lighting, but the resin is the most beautiful soft lavender color! It's so perfect for this dwelling! Sharon has even placed the epoxy river table top onto a House Of Miniatures Tilt Top Table kit that she beautifully finished for me! 


Thank you so much for your kind thoughtfulness and generosity, Sharon! 💗 And a special thanks to your incredibly talented husband, too! It must have been quite a challenge to perform this kind of craftsmanship at 1/12th the scale he's used to! Mini people really are the nicest people there are! And so talented, too! The entire treehouse gang LOVES the table so much that they are currently debating where it can be best appreciated. I think, to be fair, every room should get to have a turn with it!

And that, my friends, is the sum total of all I could do in the heat this week. This weekend the kids et al will be here to help us with a backyard project. My job is to keep everyone fed. Yep - it's the hot kitchen for me no matter what it takes. At least I'll have great company!

Back sometime soon with, hopefully, better progress!

xo xo,

Jodi

22 comments:

  1. Talk about heat! Same here, but we are used it and my basement is much cooler; however, I've done little mini work this summer with other projects taking over. I always enjoy your little tutorials on how to make little things. I have actually scanned food can labels, removing them from the can AFTER using. I import them into Microsoft Word and size them, using the appropriate size dowel. Since I'm math phobic, I guess--a lot. I've not yet tackled resin, but I will and you are my go-to person to learn how to do that. Love the egg cartoon. Totally love the table, a very thoughtful gift. The kitchens will be well stocked and we always look forward to the next episode. (Are you still taking orders for custom 3-d printing? )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I love you idea for scanning real labels into the computer! I bet the quality is great! You're going to have a lot of fun with the resin experimentation when you're ready to fold in something new! As to the 3D stuff, I didn't like how producing all the stuff for volunteer testers last fall started feeling like a job. So no, I decided to keep minis my hobby. Though I like the challenge of custom work from time to time. Stay cool and get back to minis as soon as you can!

      Delete
  2. A pesar del calor le has sacado rendimiento al trabajo. La cocina va a quedar bien repleta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! ¡Me estoy divirtiendo y eso hace que el calor sea un poco más fácil de tolerar!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Jodi, I have been thinking of you all sweltering up there! (I have Aunts Uncles and Cousins and nephews in the Seattle area) and I know you are all suffering this extreme weather! It is brutal. I applaud your ability to get Anything at all done! Cooking.... forget it! Cold cereal, fresh fruit, rolled up cold cuts.... bread and butter.... salad..... don't even dream of baking anything! (Remember, I lived with a cookstove to cook on in my teen years... yeah, summer too! I know what it is like and it is not healthy!) Beware of heat stroke!
    That said, you have been "cooking up" a storm with your adorable supplies! "Chari-o's" indeed!!! You crack me up! And I love "Nice Flour" too.... (can I order some printies???? my printer is broken...:( and the Cloud Palace Gang has been in need of a few supplies! Lol!) I do hope your outdoor project is accomplished with no set-backs due to heat exhaustion....and I'm glad your family can be there to help. Take good care of yourself! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! Growing up, 85 was rare and HOT for us Seattleite's. Now seeing 90's for a few weeks is expected. Hopefully, we'll all acclimate and climate change can be moderated! The weekend is cooling down 15 degrees, thankfully, so the backyard work and cooking won't be too miserable. But I am with you - I could live on Greek yogurt, fruit, cereal, salad and sandwiches if it were just me, lol!

      I would be delighted to send you some printies if you wouldn't mind giving me a couple weeks to get through this home repair blitz we're on. My printer is also acting up, but it seems to be limited to the text (weird, right?) but the graphics print just fine. I have to figure out what's going on and probably will have to install new drivers or some such nonsense. I swear they program in expiration dates to mess up our technology so that we get frustrated and buy new stuff. 🤬 I'll email you privately and we'll figure out what things you need.

      Delete
    2. Same here, Temperature -wise..... it has only recently decided to give up 90's at regular intervals! (Not really a fan of this!) As for the printers.... I keep "planning" to figure mine out! Lol! You are so generous! No rush! And I will have to think of something little.... that you could maybe use.....! :):):):

      Delete
    3. Weirdly, thanks to an abundance of wildfire smoke, our temps stayed below 85 all weekend for the yard work! And... I think I have finally gotten the printer working again! It still won't talk to my router or update my firmware, but at least it seems to be printing normally again! I'll email this week to confirm all the packaging you want! 😊

      Delete
  4. I think the choice of "Nice Flour", "Sweet's Sugar" and "Friendship Coffee" are perfect names for the things to go into the Treehouse larder Jodi. All the little kitchen items you have made look so real. I've made books and packets before (1:6 scale) but I'd love to get my pinkies on some cans.....where did you find them? Or did you make them with your 3D printer? I suppose if I put my mind to it I could make some out of dowel like you did with the Rolled Oats canister, but they wouldn't look s good.
    I also love the aprons, they are so cute and the table is awesome!
    Hope the heat in the kitchen subsides for you soon, so you can continue to inspire me.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks X! Here is one source for the cans, but you may be able to find them closer for less $$.

      https://www.ebay.com/itm/304191775004?hash=item46d33e211c:g:7U4AAOSwgUdhbu5-&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Bi%2Fp78tAbZ65OpufoVW5qk8riagxokPf%2FxUhmXy%2BJ0R0xowooL5arWzILV425ujjygcCFk66tW7mvytFKLCQyYHfD3xplDP4c4qmP1IUnDTCImmW2TwG3PWE8FeRSHJ%2B8zsodobbDJLz82gx8gPWMlQO7dDrSR4ZXoOc1ulTsZ0ssLPwDJ0Gge1i1EGJ1e%2Fx%2BvaVuRpJv5mtCiGzeEQ9z9eqHWbqbGJmxCn%2BNiQrc6MaerkjIYqJMRAgm0ErsYJQkOhzYbSPrJNh9W8fYZmImQX8%2BWeSDcuMZNMMnGgjCxY%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR87U8YjAYg

      Dowels will work in a pinch and I am sure there is probably a good "tin" paint that could pass for metal. I used a chrome paint pen on 3 of my cans and it looks okay but not nearly as great as the metal.

      I hope you are working on something fun in the meantime, too!

      Delete
  5. Una maravilla de complementos (el calor te afecta poco)y la mesa de ensueño, en cualquier lugar lucirá con luz propia. Una idea fantástica poner fotos de la familia de Alemania ,Fluby y Rosey seguro que les encantaría estar en la casa del árbol cuando la termines. Disfruta de la compañía, seguro que les prepararás una comida deliciosa y el calor al final se minimiza.Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa María! ¡Afortunadamente, tendremos un pequeño descanso del calor durante el fin de semana! Y con suerte, cuando vuelva, estaré demasiado absorto en la cocina de Roz como para preocuparme, ¡jajaja!

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on the heat, Jodi! I tried doing some wallpapering in my dollhouse, and it made me sweat so much, I had to lay down! 🤣I love all your little food items - and the aprons!!! Those are the cutest!! I think my dolls will need aprons too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Michelle! Sometimes a little siesta is all there is to do! I hope you were able to eventually, successfully finish! Can't wait to see! And your wonderful characters will definitely need aprons! Though with your amazing sewing skills I bet they come out much more realistic! Stay cool and have fun!

      Delete
  7. What a great selection of foods! No-one’s going to go hungry here! And wow, that table! It really is stunning and will be so gorgeous in situ. Maybe with an afternoon tea of delicious baked goods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! It would be easy (and fun) to fall deeply into this grocery rabbit hole, but so much else needs to get done! Hopefully, it will be enough to give the illusion of an abundant bounty for all these trunk dwellers! Afternoon tea with baked goods sounds wonderful! I'll see what me and my supply drawers can come up with!

      Delete
  8. When I saw the picture I immediately thought the Chari-O's were awesome. I'm constantly amazed at how realistic your minis are. I need to check out your link for the cans because I love those grooves on the tops.
    It's so much fun to make all the little things that go in the rooms!
    I'm actually jealous of your temperatures though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! Where else can we indulge in this type of humor, right? The can blanks used to be available at HBS for under $7. I was shocked at the price now, though they are amazingly realistic cans. I tried printing some on the 3D printer, but the closest metallic pen I could find (so far) was chrome. It is an expensive pen on its own ($12) and not a great metal sub for "tin". It is fun to make all the accessories and I am hoping for time to get lost in it soon! As for the temps, I know! We are generally pretty lucky in the northwest with lovely summers! You guys in the south, including my poor parents in AZ have been brutalized this year! I feel bad for complaining!

      Delete
  9. Jodi, a pesar del calor que tenéis, has trabajado mucho! me encantan los botes, cajas de comida, los tarros de mermelada y conservas tienen un aspecto delicioso!!
    Los libros de cocina les vendrán muy bien para preparar estupendas recetas!
    Y esos delantales son preciosos!
    Las fotos de familia quedarán encantadoras colgadas de las paredes, son tan guapos!
    La mesa real y la miniatura de madera y resina han quedado espectaculares! me encanta esa combinación, bravo a los autores!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. ¡Gracias Pilar! ¡Son todos estos pequeños detalles los que hacen que una mini cocina se sienta como en casa! La naturaleza de Roz es tener un montón de "cosas", ¡así que estoy tratando de no defraudarla! ¡La mesa y el gesto generoso de Sharon son increíbles! Creo que la mesa se apreciará mejor en la habitación más elegante del proyecto: ¡el gran salón de la casa del árbol!

      Delete
  10. Oh, what a wonderful post! ;O) And me being late to drop by again, well, August is not "my" month anymore. What are birthdays for if the ones you like to celebrate them with aren't with you anymore... And September is no month to look forward too neither... *sigh*

    My, I already felt terrible and exhausted while just reading about your extreme temperatures! I really don't get along well with hot temperatures, thankfully here in the very north of Germany it's usually still a bit more bearable than in our South (bless the Seas to our left and to our right). However it's getting hotter and hotter here too and I'm very thankful that we're back to something around 20° C again. I hope you're also back to something more bearable by now.

    And still you're dealing with the kitchen... in real life and even more for Roz. I love the things you made for her... and especially this certain sweet FBG-touch. Sorry for asking (remember I'm German *grin*)... but did you make up this Chari-O's box or does it really exist this way? Anyhow, Rozario will love to start his day with a good dragon breakfast. And the table!!! That table!!!!!!!!! It blew me away - what a sweet, thoughtful, generous and absolutely stunning gift! No surprise that the gang and you are over the moon.

    And do I have to mention at all that around here we are deeply touched from the special gift you made for Roz? Fluby and Rosey want me to tell you they feel very honored... and Fluby also compliments Roz for her great taste and good choice when it comes to baking recipes. My, this chap can spot a strawberry recipe across oceans and continents... *LOL*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! It is always so nice to see your comments whenever you make them, and especially in August. I know it takes every bit of resolve in you just to do the "normal" things to keep life going. Here's my biggest hug and know that you are always in my thoughts. Missing her is never going to go away, but each year you learn just a little bit more how to cope with it. How about next August you come stay with me for the month? We will celebrate all the birthdays and honor all the ones who still mean everything to us in spite of them not being here. I can't guarantee what the weather will do, but at least we'll be sweaty old ladies together!

      We had a much cooler week with a mix of sunshine, clouds, rain and even a thunderstorm! It was a welcome respite! I'm glad to hear yours has cooled down, as well!

      I did make up the Chari-O's, lol! We have a real cereal called Cheri-O's so it was a play on words that also happened to rhyme with Rozario. 😊 I found a cute dragon and a cereal bowl clipart to make the box. I just love funny/silly things, especially in minis!

      I'm so happy that you guys like the framed photo of the gang you took for the breakfast nook! It just wouldn't have been home for Roz without it! And I am glad that Fluby spotted the strawberry cake recipe! Doesn't it look deliciously refreshing!

      I hope you will love the way Roz's kitchen turns out. Like your friendship, she is absolutely precious to me and I am so honored to have her! I just hope I can give her the surroundings she deserves! 💜💜💜

      Delete