Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, August 3, 2023

Totally Analog

You may have noticed that during the whole trunkhouse portion of the Fairytale Treehouse project, in spite of having a wonderful "Machine Park" (Birgit's name for my Cricut Maker and 3D printers) at my fingertips, I haven't used any of it. It isn't an oversite, and in fact, has been totally intentional. You see, an important goal for me on this whole adventure was to reconnect with the joy and freedom that came with minis in the early days of my miniature passion. Before my need for tougher challenges and perfectionistic aspirations faded that joy a little. Before adding in so many complications and steep learning curves. I wanted to concentrate on creativity, whimsy, exploration and analog ingenuity. I wanted to use up good things from my stash, utilize recycled materials and to enjoy many aspects of making minis that I hadn't for a long time. One of those "old loves" was making minis from kits. 

There are some fantastic old time kits that are still being made and/or sold as New Old Stock, many of which I've had in my stash but had yet to experience. The majority of Roz's fixtures and furnishings will be made from kits. Chrysnbon, House Of Miniatures, and Calico are among them. Some I have had in my stash for a very long time, and some are new arrivals. Some I will reimagine in order to suit her personality (and to accommodate the trunkhouse's particular round room challenges). Others, I will simply play with products and finishes that sound fun. 

I started with the Chrysnbon kits. A Parlor Stove, Cook Stove, Dry Sink and table and chairs for Roz's kitchen. I also had a table and chairs for Alice and Goldie's kitchen so I decided to get it done at the same time. I love the compact scale of these kits as well as the detail and accessories that come with them.


I've gotten the tables and most of the chairs assembled (two more are on the way after a "mind change"), but I have many more rounds to go with all of them while I experiment with aging techniques. Nothing I've tried so far is "It", but I'm far from giving up yet. 


For the parlor stove, I didn't like the way that the provided acetate fit into the kit's windowed pieces, so I played with another option. I blocked off the openings from the back side with masking tape, then carefully applied UV resin to each of the windows in the grid from the front side. Once hardened, I applied another layer of the resin over the back where the tape had left a bumpy residue. It seemed to smooth it out and clarify it better.

Taped back side.

Resin to be applied in each square.

Before the application of additional resin over the tape texture.

After applying the resin over the tape texture.

I sanded the "chrome" pieces a bit before assembly to take down the intense shine. I like the way it seemed to age the pieces and leave some black wear marks behind. I had a particularly troublesome time assembling the "chromed" kit pieces, even after carefully scraping off the glue joint areas. I ended up assembling the base surround onto the stove rather than as a separate assembly because of it. It worked out okay in the end, but boy are those "chrome" pieces slippery! 


For the stove's interior fire light, I wanted it to be very subtle. I didn't want it to be the first thing you noticed when you looked into the parlor and I didn't want it to seem like it was too hot in this tiny room. Just a feeling of warmth is all it needs. It is so hard to tell at this point if I have achieved that, so I'm not going to actually install the stove until the last thing. That way I can adjust the lighting, if necessary.

Should the light spill out the bottom?
Should more "flame" appear in the windows?
More research is needed...

That was also my goal for the kitchen's cook stove fire light. To start with, I only added one orange LED chip light. 

Placed inside the cap of Cricut blade packaging to keep
it from moving around inside the stove.

The LED's resister needed an enlarged hole.

Seems pretty bright with a 9 volt battery.

Light is only supposed to peek out of the baffles on the side, I guess. You can see the flame reflected on the wall, and that may be enough - we'll see. If not, I suppose I can punch a few holes in the wall separating the oven from the fire.


Other than starting on the kits, I was able to get the front and balcony doors affixed to the trunkhouse. I am super excited to see them once they're nestled into the bark of the tree! But that is going to be a bit farther down the road.

Roz's front door.

From inside the parlor.

The bedroom balcony door.

Seen from inside.

Current status of the exterior of the trunkhouse.

What comes in the next few posts will probably be a mixed up jumble of things. Hopefully, in a few weeks, everything will come together and I can get Roz and Rozario moved into their house in time for... 

Brace yourself... A four letter "f" word is coming... 

Fall!

That's right! Time flies, especially Summer! And for those of you living through the record breaking heat, fall will be most welcome!

Hope you're all enjoying your time whatever the season!

xo xo,

Jodi

22 comments:

  1. Emocionada estoy esperando esa letra "f", viendo los muebles que ya estás envejeciendo y el lugar que los colocas, me parece que te va a quedar una casa árbol maravillosa. Lo mejor como lo estás disfrutando y nosotras viéndolo. El tiempo está un poco loco por donde vivo, tenemos días de 30º ,cambian cuatro días a los 16º y el domingo volverá el verano normal. Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa María! ¡Espero que los muebles salgan bien para que Roz los disfrute! Hemos tenido mucha más suerte con nuestro clima que en 2021. Estoy agradecido, ya que nuestro aire acondicionado de 15 años necesita reemplazo o una conversión a un nuevo tipo de refrigerante. Por suerte, no hemos pasado de 100 todavía este verano!!!

      Delete
  2. Es un placer venir a tu blog una y otra vez.
    Cada detalle que añades es mejor que el anterior.
    Como dice mi amiga Rosa, yo también estoy deseando esa letra "F"
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Mariana! Me encantaba el verano. En los últimos años, anhelo que llegue el otoño a mediados de agosto, ¡jaja!

      Delete
  3. I fully understand your need to return to your roots of creativity. I had the same feeling once I retired and no longer had to work to a brief provided by other people.
    The results you have achieved with the stoves is perfect, they look like they belong there.
    Big hugs,
    X
    P.S. I'm looking forward to summer downunder. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks X! The stoves aren't quite there yet, but it's a good start until inspiration strikes. I am having a lot of fun without the added pressure of technology, though I am going to go through my collection of 3D printed "prototypes" to see if there are some things Roz might want for her kitchen. They are already technically in my stash, right?😜
      I hope you guys down under get a break from the heat and fires this time! Hugs!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes you just have shake things up, so I'm so glad to see that you are turning back to the basics: the kits. Circuit and 3-D printing have revolutionized mini making, but I sometimes wonder where the creativity went. You always take us down the other path, which is wonderful. Thanks you. Love how you created the fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! Definitely! I needed a break from the technology, especially after the last slicer update was such a hassle. It seemed like all my tech stuff was malfunctioning at the same time. After being forced to give up my good pal the iPhone 6 for my new nemesis, the IPhone 12, I nearly pulled my hair out! The peaceful analog crafting has been a godsend for my mental health!

      Delete
  5. La chimenea y la cocina parece que han formado parte de la casa tronco desde siempre, se adaptan perfectamente al lugar! Los cristales de UV son una magnífica idea, dan sensación de más reales.
    Deseando que llegue esa "f" y poder admirar aún más tu bello trabajo Jodi!
    A seguir disfrutando!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. ¡Gracias Pilar! ¡Ha sido muy divertido colorear un poco fuera de las líneas con estos kits! ¡Nada es exactamente como lo imagino todavía, pero seguiré investigando hasta que encuentre "Eso"! ¡Estoy tan feliz de saber que estás disfrutando el proyecto conmigo! Ojalá pudiera tenerte aquí cuando llegue el momento del exterior: ¡tus paisajes me desmayan! ¡Abrazos!

      Delete
  6. Hi Jodi!!! I Love the look of those old kits! I have a few old ones myself which will get attention "someday" ! lol. I just Love to make things, and I've always known it was the hands on part I loved the best... (I've been dragged kicking and screaming into computers, but because of this blog... I love the connections!) As for your question about the light coming from the stoves...I can give you some experiential advice....(I lived with only cookstove and only parlor stoves in my teen years... very educational!) so I can tell you, light from the bottom of the parlor stove is a Baaaaad thing! Lol! It means your fire has caught something under the stove and you need to put that fire out asap! :):) The only place any firelight should emanate in a cookstove is perhaps the air intake at the bottom front of the firebox (maybe your model has this on the side... but not normal!) The oven absolutely does not get fire inside it.... it cooks because the chamber has been heated by the flames passing over it to go up the chimney. When the door is shut it is a sealed environment and no fire is ever inside it! The parlor stove is meant to show the flames through the "ising-glass" (made from mica) window in the front of the door that shows the fire is active. The whole point of parlor stoves is that they were so much cleaner and easier to control the fire than open fireplaces... also they radiated heat into the room much better than an open fire. If any light is reflecting on the walls around it it means your stove has cracks and needs repairs!!! As for your progress on attaching all the doors it is so much fun to see that stage of construction happening. I love the balcony door especially....I can just feel the early morning sunshine and birds visiting..... What fun this project is to follow!!! :):) Keep up the wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouragement, Betsy, and for you incredible knowledge about these stoves! I know what to do now and I won't even have to ask Roz for her magic! The parlor stove should be easy enough to fix and the cook stove I'll just leave as is. 💗

      Delete
  7. It's so fun to go old school analog in so many ways! And it all looks so beautiful! I'm beginning to understand what you mean when you talk about "perfectionist aspirations". It's so easy to get caught up in that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I think some builds, especially the more "modern" ones, require super neat finishes or else they detract from the aesthetic. But the whimsical ones are where quirky construction and use of materials can really be charming. I hope my mistakes and lack of meticulousness don't detract from the enjoyment in the end! Right now, it feels really carefree to work on!

      Delete
  8. It’s really great that we have all this new technology but we are now faced with ‘perfect’ miniatures easily obtained, and it certainly can add to the anxiety of making our own ‘perfect’ mini scenes. I love that you are doing this all old-school. And the funny thing is I see all the perfectly scaled, highly realistic mini scenes and think they’re great, but I also love the cute, colourful, obviously handmade scenes just as much. There is an artistic quality and a life that just isn’t found in a perfectly scaled and detailed piece. Maybe we all need to go a bit easier on ourselves. Good post Jodi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! You said it all perfectly! I remember how much pressure I was putting on myself last fall with all the 3D printed kitchen stuff. It was okay for the design process, but I would not want to live like that regularly. This project is challenging, but not overly so. I am glad you like minis in all the categories! I really do, too!

      Delete
  9. It's wonderful that you found kits which are perfect for the tree house. The pieces you already assembled are beautiful. I'll love seeing them each in it's special room.
    Here the days are still hot and almost unbearable outdoor. The four-letter f will be more than welcome.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I had a couple more in my stash that I was looking forward to assembling, but it doesn't seem like I will have the space, after all. I am so disappointed about it! Poor kits! They have been in my stash waiting for their turn for such a long time!
      We've had some cloud cover the last few days and so it has been cooler but more humid. Fall will be welcome here, too!

      Delete
  10. I love how you've finished the stove! The color is so pretty! (I know I say that a lot but it is!) I know what you mean about those chrome pieces though, they do like to try and move around.
    Can't wait to see how you change and finish your kits. I was thinking, this entire build reminds me so much of your Three Little Pigs build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! It is fun to play with the finishes on the kits, though I wish my imagination would go farther, lol! And I agree! This project is much the same as the Three Pigs! I love bringing these children's stories to life but with a little twist!

      Delete
  11. Oh, what a wonderful post! ;O) And my response time is much better than it used to be recently (pats-herself-on-the-shoulder) - yesssss!

    As always it was so much fun to see your newest progress. And knowing Roz I know for sure how excited and over the moon she must be seeing her furniture develop and come to life. A lilac stove... that's a thing to have for sure. I like how especially this piece turned out but all the chairs etc. have so much personality already. I really love the pictures showing the doors from the in- and outside, this looks so awesome... it would be the perfect setting for a fantasy movie.

    And it made me smile that your trusted machine park is enjoying some summer vacation now. It's for sure a good thing to use pieces and especially kits from your stash and what you've done lately has so much charme and quality. However I'm not that much into black or white, I believe in grey somehow... or in other words: Whatever fits for your project and even more for your visions is in my opinion the right choice. What counts is that it looks beautiful in the end... and then it will not matter anymore where it came from. ;O) Oh, and it already looks sooooo beautiful... and it's great to know how you've made these pieces from kits waiting for Roz and Rozario to appear. *wink*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent job, Birgit! 🥇And see now? It is I who is late with the response! What a week! I need a vacation! 🤪 I am so glad you like where Roz's stove is going, though it is not quite finished yet. Still some more detail I'd like to try with no guarantee of success. I only ask that the universe prevents my ruining it completely! If I had any skills, I'd use the whole project as the backdrop for a grandkids book. Not likely that I could do it or even that I'm ever getting grandchildren to do it for at this point! 🤣

      I'm definitely a "gray" person, too and will use whatever resources I have to make a great place for Roz! My biggest challenge lately is a lack of focus and energy to put the time in I need to. I have a couple huge events coming up and they are making me as nervous as a long tailed cat on a porch full of rockers! I'll get there, but will likely be late! 💗

      Delete