Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, October 5, 2023

For The Boys...

While this Fairytale Treehouse Project is full of what is traditionally thought of as "feminine" aspects like flowers and frills, I didn't want to forget that there are a couple strong masculine personalities living here who bring just as much joy to the story. Wayne and Rozario, having strong opinions on their own design aesthetics, gave me plenty of ideas about what kind of beds they wanted to spend their nights in. This week's focus was for the boys. 

I first consulted with Rozario to give him a bunch of options for bed styles. He, being a beloved pet, wanted a pet bed. But not just any old fabric covered floor cushion. No. His bed had to befit a creature as special as he is. After all, you don't see pet dragons every day! I jotted down things that were important to him (comfort, grandeur, outdoor elements and, because of his limited bedroom nook's size, storage), then got to work in Design Space.


Rozario thought it would be really fun to pretend he was sleeping in the yard every night like a lot of dogs get to do. But he didn't want a dog house. A roof that is too close to his head can be dangerous, as he sometimes breathes a little fire when he snores. He discovered that the hard way, long story. He said a yard would have a fence, so he wanted some kind of fenced in feeling. His wish was my command! I created a three sided fence atop a princely platform.


In order to make it easier for Rosario's tiny legs to climb into bed, I made a pull out step drawer.


And included a storage cubby in the back of the drawer so he can store some of his favorite toys. I also added a couple fancy fence posts to the opening. He can pretend that he is guarded by powerfully magic staffs as he drifts off to sleep each night. 


While I was busy on Rozario's bed, Wayne popped in to share his ideas. He's a busy guy so I gave him my full attention. Wayne told me his wishes were pretty simple: he's a craftsman, so he wanted Craftsman styled furniture but with a Tudor twist. And he'd love a comfortable mattress and bedding. Wow! I love a guy who knows what he wants! 

Designing Wayne's bed in Design Space was fun, especially since this was my very first piece of furniture in true half scale. It is so adorably tiny, but at just 2", so is Wayne!


His bed is pretty simple: a three layered headboard, a three layered footboard and a simple mattress support piece to bridge them together. I couldn't resist including a few fun trim accents to the posts, which Wayne really appreciated. The assembled bed measures just 2" W x 3-1/2" L x 3-3/8" H.



Before I could begin to accentuate the beds with paint and detail, the boys needed mattresses. They got the same cushy models as the girls, only their ticking is a dark purple stripe with no hearts or flowers. Way more masculine! Rozario needs just slightly less sleeping room.




With that done I could get to the fun parts! I added many "carvings" to Wayne's bed to make the simple craftsman design feel more Tudor-like, as requested.


Then gave it a base coat of Coffee Latte.


Then a glaze coat with a darker chocolate color. Wayne loves his wood fairly unadulterated.


And with the mattress...


Let's see what Wayne thinks... Hooray! He approves! And with all the work he's got on his plate, he really appreciated my help.


But he said the ultimate test required him to take a nap. He'll get back to us shortly...


Rozario's bed needed a base coat of white.


After a little sanding of the rough spots, I gave it a base coat of Purple Cow followed by a couple coats of Amethyst metallic paint. Some areas were highlighted in Emperor's Gold paint, then I added metallic domes and Dresden trims, leaving them gold. Now it's fit for royalty!





 And with the mattress and the drawer step deployed.


But the final test was to present it to Rozario. He seemed thrilled, but it was hard to tell.




Because once I showed Rozario how the drawer worked and he saw the toys, the consultation abruptly ended. Time to play!


I am so happy that the beds for the boys were a success! And don't worry! I haven't abandoned the girls' and Roz's beds. It's just that for the sake of organization it seemed more efficient to get everyone's actual beds completed before I drug out the sewing machine to make all the bedding for everyone. Me + Sewing = Knots In My Stomach so any sewing project is always preceded by a little avoidance and/or procrastination. But, I'm determined to become a decent seamstress, one day, so off I go... Wish me luck! 

Back next week with, hopefully, something resembling bedding for everyone!!!

xo xo,

Jodi

23 comments:

  1. For some sewing; others, roofing. :). You have aptly demonstrated the wonders of Design Space! and the use of chipboard. The beds are absolutely amazing. Now as an English major and lover of great literature, I"m thinking there should be a fairytale to go along with the wonderful castle and trunk house with those amazing little girls and their companions. What wonderful adventures they could have. Like how a little dragon can't control his flame. I loved the Storybook house, but this one is your finest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Ann! We all seem to have our Achilles heel! I am going to keep trying with the sewing and you keep trying with the roofing. Someday, we will prevail!
      I'm happy that you like the beds! I have so much fun making furniture with Design Space and chipboard! I get happy butterflies every time the opportunity comes!
      I always re-write the fairytales in my mind, giving the characters much deeper dimension. Since I have already built Three Pigs: Revenge and am working on the treehouse, it would be fun to actually write the books. I re-wrote The Gingerbread Man for my niece and nephew one Christmas, then tried to recruit my brother to do the illustrations. He is the real artist in the family! Maybe, one day, in our "golden years", we'll finally do it!
      Thanks so much for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. The beds are absolutely magical, and I can tell that the boys are so happy with them! What fun photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! It is fun to take a warm hearted break from the Real World, right?!? Glad you like the beds!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful beds absolutely fit for magical tiny fairy royalties. Love the idea of the drawer under Rozario's bed. I'm enjoying this project from the start. Thank you again for sharing your inspiring work.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! It makes me really happy to know that you are enjoying the treehouse right along with me! Hugs!

      Delete
  4. Oh my! Jodi these tiny wee beds put what I'm making to shame. I love the regalness of Rosario's bed, it really is fit for a king of dragons! I also love Wayne's bed, the design is perfect . . . everything you do is perfect!

    Thanks for putting me onto Design Space, I mostly do my designing manually with pencil and paper (very old school I know, I guess that's showing my age), but I'll give it a go.

    I must agree with Ann, a story to go along with your beautifully photographed pictures would certainly make a wonderful book for kids, miniaturists, and those of us who are still young at heart.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks X! I am glad you like the boys' beds but let me assure you that nothing I do is perfect. But perfection should never be the goal: just adventure, exploration and fun!

      I can't wait to see the bunk beds you're working on and I know that, like with all the building and making you do, they will be wonderful!

      I think whatever method works for you is the best method. I find that working in Design Space and having the parts right in front of me helps me to visualize better how they fit together. But I only took one art class and that was in eighth grade so I am not a good example of the right way to do anything, lol!

      I think it would be great fun to have a book to go along with the story. Maybe with a little adult humor in the subtext.😜 I have a bunch of it in my mind so just need to get it written down. My HS creative writing teacher would be so proud, lol! Hi Julie Boyd!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jodi, it's good to be back. So much to see. Well, let me tell you that you fulfilled the boys wishes and instructions really well, their beds are just like they ordered them. You make magic with your fancy tools but you also are very crafty with the most simple elements, I think the way you added texture to the beds is brilliant. It seems easy but I know that you must have an eye to pick the right element to make it work and you certainly did that. I am sure the boys will have sweet dreams in their comfy and beautiful beds. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon! Blogger must be acting up for you again! I seem to have great success with the chipboard and Dresden so I go back to them time and time again! It might even be making me a little lazy, lol! But I can't express enough how much fun I am having with this project. I am so happy that you are enjoying it right along with me!

      Delete
    2. Oh! That was me, I dont know what happened, maybe that I was gone for so long that Google forgot about me, hehe. Big hugs.

      Delete
  6. ¡Las camas son espectaculares! Me en encantan las dos decoraciones. Consigues unos resultados increíbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel! ¡Me alegro que te guste cómo quedaron!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful beds for boys. The bed with a drawer is very original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! Storage is at a premium in the trunkhouse! 😊

      Delete
  8. Estos chicos tienen que estar entusiasmados con sus maravillosas camas! Que idea tan genial ponerle el cajón-escalón a Rozario, una idea brillante!
    Creo que Wayne está descansando como un lirón, por lo que el aprobado de la cama ya está ganado !!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Pilar! ¡Es muy divertido tener tantos estilos y funciones diferentes para hacer a la vez! ¡Como comer en un buffet donde puedes probar un poco de muchas cosas diferentes! ¡Abrazos!

      Delete
  9. Lovely soft mattresses and skillfully made beds! I also like how clear your photos are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mummu! I have to credit the camera on my phone and lucky days with a little sunlight!

      Delete
  10. Looks great again, the dream or reading corner is very cozy, beautiful fabric and cushions. The small Tudor bed looks fantastic and is beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonda! It feels great to be reaching this milestone! One last bed to go!

      Delete
  11. Oh, what a wonderful post! ;O) And I must admit that I can't help but noticing that being late can have some advantages... in my case the fact that there's no need for wishing you luck with sewing along as I already had a glimpse that there's a new dream team in town: Jodi and her sewing machine. But hey, it's a machine... so yet another new member to the trusted machine park gang. *grin*

    But I'm still in time to admire the stunning beds you've made for the boys. Wayne's bed is just perfect for him... okay, he pointed out clearly what he wanted and you brought his vision to life. And I love the fact that his bed is coloured with "Café au lait"... a craftsman always needs to have a mug full of coffee at hand... or at paw so what could be better than sleeping in something reminding of coffee aka crafter's fuel? No surprise he looks so happy when testing his stunning bed - you can put a certificate on it now: "Wayne approved!"

    And Rozario's bed is a dream bed for every young pet dragon. He will have the sweetest dreams in this beautiful bed which made a dream become reality. And it made me smile that you even thought of a stepping drawer for a flying being... but when using the step means access to the toys he will gladly take it. So cute that you've added two greetings from his old home with the horsie and the duckie *blush*... but I'm somehow on alert when it comes to that thing which looks like a typical gallows loop to me! Rozario, behave yourself and be a nice little dragon... or I'll send Draco and Tschang over the Atlantic Ocean! *wink*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    P.S.: Sorry, I need to ask this - the colour is called "Purple Cow"??? Here in Germany we have a very popular chocolate brand called "Milka" which has a purple design and a purple cow as its logo. Many years ago they made T.V. advertisement showing a real cow which was dyed purple and white - and this was so omnipresent that city kids started to believe cows would naturally come along in purple and white. So it makes me wonder - is the Milka cow even known in the U.S.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! Your comments are always right on time and your perspectives on things are always so insightful! Maybe I wouldn't be so chicken to sew on that machine more often if I could just retain the memory of how to thread the darn thing! I literally have to watch a video every time I drag it down off the dusty shelf, lol! I blame my menopause brain!

      I am so glad you like the way the boys' beds came out! It has been great fun exploring their personalities in the hope of creating a style that will fit their character. I felt I had to make a step for Rozario, as I put him in such a small space. He really has trouble deploying his wings to full power in that nook. Poor guy needs a ballroom!

      I am having so much fun using all your wonderful gifts in this project! It could not be more perfect, as though they were always meant to go here! I am glad you are having fun spotting them, too! HINT: Look for more in my next post! 😜

      When I was making Rozario's tug rope I was also thinking it looked like a noose! Luckily the loop is fixed and he has a large head so the chances of an accident are low, lol! Draco and Tschang will be making an appearance in an upcoming post! Hopefully their presence is sure to keep our curious little dragon on the right path!

      I had to look up the paint color's reference, too. I didn't see results in my search for chocolate, but it is funny (and natural) for kids to think real cows come in purple! My search results brought up a book where the author suggests that in order to survive in the modern business world, a company needs to have a purple cow–that is, a remarkable idea, product, or service that will differentiate them from competitors. Purple cows and remarkable ideas stand out and people talk about them. Interesting, right? I'd love to try the chocolate, though! My friends are currently visiting their son in Frankfort and I will ask her to look for it!

      Delete