Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, October 12, 2023

A Nice Place To Dream...

Even a fairytale treehouse cannot become a home until you've dreamed there. That's why making beds for everyone, even before the place is finished, was so important. Dreams are important, And making them come true is one of life's sweetest feelings. Since the whole project started with my dream to create a lovely place for Goldie and Alice to grow up in, I started with their beds. 

These are the first fitted sheets I've ever sewn, and given my lousy sewing skills, I am really proud of how they turned out. Don't worry - they are totally removable if ever I want to see the pretty mattresses again. 😊


Since little girls are too busy for much bed making every morning, Goldie and Alice will have reversible duvet covers. It's as close to toss and go as you can get! They wanted similar fabric and trims, but not exact matches.

Delicate floral spray is nice...

Or jaunty stripes if it suits your mood!

And of course you've got to have GOBS of pillows!!! These below are my attempts at sewing them... I'm grading myself 'Passable But Still Needs Work'. 😐


But luckily I also hedged my bets with these lovely Etsy purchases from much more talented seamstresses and crocheters (trust me, it is a word).


Goldie's sleeping nook...


She can't wait until bedtime for a change!!! Usually we have to send out a search party at sunset to find her!


And Alice's sleeping nook...


She's doing her Happy Dance!


Now they're Happy Dancing together! This is the reaction I was hoping for!!! Story time tonight is going to be SO MUCH FUN!!!


The only thing missing are the bolster pillows. I'm still working on those but the girls don't seem to mind!


Next we'll take a look at Rozario's pet bed. He's got a removable fitted sheet, too. Plus a reversible duvet cover, a couple bolsters and a dragon scale pillow made by me. These were custom printed fabrics especially for him. The ultra fancy regal pillows were also purchased by an expert pillow maker on Esty. They seem to have been made especially for Rozario, too!


Whooooo! Fancy!!! He's even got a dragon rug to play on! 


Roz said she couldn't have done a better job if she'd waved her magic wand! I have to say... That kind of sentiment makes my eyes leak a little! 😊


Next up is Wayne's bed. He's a bit of a minimalist, so he didn't want "a bunch of frilly, fancy stuff". Roger, Wayne! Just plain old Egyptian cotton comfort for you! In manly blue. He's got a fitted sheet, a top sheet, a pillowcase, a pillow and a very soft comforter. Oh! And my first ever handmade tassels. Don't point those out to him, though, okay?

I really enjoyed sewing Wayne's things, and my sewing machine really liked the thicker material. Okay, so maybe it's not ALL my fault. I just need higher quality fabrics?


He looks a little um... un-thrilled? But trust me...


He couldn't wait to climb in!


I am still working on Roz's bed. Though hers is a lot more complicated, I am really having fun with the challenge and I can't wait to share it with you! Hopefully, I'll have it finished for next week's post!

Until then, my friends, I hope you have a nice place to dream and that the good ones come true!

xo xo,

Jodi

Postscript: I don't like to get political in any way on my blog. I feel it is not the place nor platform for such. My heart is breaking, however, for those in our world who find themselves ripped out of their lives through no fault of their own. This week I need to hold space for the innocent people of Israel, Ukraine and all the other people in places who find themselves held hostage by powers they have no control over. My prayers are with all of you. I care deeply. America and Americans care. We hurt for you. Dear God, please encamp your angels around all who are in harms way. Let your spirit whisper to every heart what is right, then let us choose love. Amen.

28 comments:

  1. You have made such a big job with the nooks for the girls and beds for the creatures. I love the fabrics of the bed linens. Sweet dreams for everybody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sirkka! It was fun to be able to work on so many different styles at once!

      Delete
  2. Jodi, this post made me feel so warm and happy inside. Each little sleeping nook is a work of art, and the story to go along with them is enchanting. And your lovely prayer at the end is exactly what I needed. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I am a big fan of warm and fuzzy. I wish our world was more geared toward it, too. The sleeping nooks have been a lot of fun to move from my mind into reality, and I am excited thinking about the day when the girls' room will finally be full of the things I have dreamed for them!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jodi. Well done on the sewing and arranging, the beds look great. Sometimes we just have to buy in things that are just not things we want or can make ourselves. And there is so much joy in owning and looking at these things. A little tip you might find useful is to get yourself some tear-away stabiliser and use a sheet (so maybe 20x20cm) underneath the pieces you are sewing, and sew right through everything. Then gently tear the stabiliser off the back. It is how I sew tiny doll clothes on the machine. And I find the cheap stabiliser really good. And I agree about the atrocities going on in the world. It’s so wrong and sad and makes no sense at all. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! With so many amazing mini artisans out there, it is hard to discipline myself to attempt making a lot of the things I need, especially when my skills are so questionable, lol! I could easily max out a card with all the things I'd love to collect. 😛
      Thanks so much for the great tip about the stabilizer! I will definitely look for some and try it out! Some of the fabrics I bought for the girls is paper thin and likes to get stuck on the tracks of my machine, especially after I backstitch. I bet the stabilizer would help a great deal!
      It is so hard to not be able to do anything about everything going on in the world. It feels grossly inadequate just giving money to charities and saying prayers, but all we can do is hope it makes some kind of dent.

      Delete
  4. For someone who says they are new to sewing you did an excellent job Jodi . . . my hats off to you! Love the fabrics you chose, they work beautifully with their little nooks. Rozario's bed is certainly fit for royalty. I also think the check fabric you selected for Wayne is perfect, quite a masculine look and most suitable for the little guy.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! "Excellent" is very generous of you, lol! I am so happy to know you like the way everyone's beds came out. I feel like I have progressed a bit, and am proud of myself for not just getting out the glue, lol! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Has hecho un excelente trabajo con todas las camas! Me encantan como quedan llenas de cojines, especialmente el de escamas de dragón es perfecto para Rosario al igual que su maravillosa alfombra!
    Las telas siempre acertadas en todas ellas, mira la de Wayne que es más sobria, pero se ve tan elegante y hermosa!!!
    En espera de la cama de Roz,os deseo también lindos sueños!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias Pilar! Fue muy divertido adaptar las telas a los personajes y darles a todos lo que querían. ¡Es una buena sensación tener las camas hechas! Roz también está casi terminado y es una gran sensación estar progresando.

      Delete
  6. As I always say: if you can't make it, buy it. I do a bit of crochet, but that tiny thread is so hard to master, so, of course, support a small business and buy! Fitted sheets are aren't to difficult, once you get the hang of it. You have admirably stitched beautiful bedding that will generate plenty of quality zzzz's. And the world needs all the prayers we can send.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! There are times I wish I could skip the making part and just decorate with beautiful treasures made by the many amazing artisans out there! But part of what draws me to certain types of projects is the desire to try and challenge myself to learn to make things. Eventually, I will know which things I make are passable and which things I should always just purchase, lol! The things I fear (like machine sewing) I tend to take on with a determination. If I fail I feel it is still a win because I didn't give in to avoidance. In the end if I look back and the experience feels like a happy one I am grateful!

      Delete
  7. Son geniales todos los diseños de los dibujos de las sábanas. Las escamas del dragón en los cojines es un estupendo detalle.
    Cada una de la camas expresa la personalidad de su propietario. ¡Buen trabajo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel! ¡Ha sido divertido poder crear todos los diferentes estilos y personalidades! ¡Falta uno más!

      Delete
  8. Oh, what a wonderful post! ;O) And best of all it not only offered eye candy of the most beautiful kind but also the understatement of the month... if not of the whole year: "A Nice Place To Dream"... oh my... this is a true burner... *buahaaahaaa* And regarding what's going on in the world right now we all are in need for a good laugh. I mean "nice"... come on... what you've created for the girls and the boys is not just nice... it's beautiful, awesome, stunning, eye candy, a dream come true (And btw amazing work, look out, guys, there's a new seemstress in town!). You made everybody so happy with their beautiful and personal beddings - no surprise the girls where doing the happy dance.

    And I have no doubt Wayne is already planning the next projects in his dream bed (Let's make a deal: You're not going to tell him that I think he looks toooooooo cute in his beautiful bed and I won't mutter a single word about the tassels... *grin*). And Rozario will have the sweetest dreams cuddled up in his cushions - and the dragon rug is an it-piece for sure. You've made everybody happy except for somebeary who is still on your list - but I know for sure that you're going to make a fairy beary godmother cry tears of joy and happiness once you and your new dream partner aka the sewing machine finished Roz's Fairy-tale bedding... ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! Your gushing has me blushing, lol! 😊💗
      It feels great to know that I can tuck everyone in safe at night! As for my sewing... I will keep working at it but for as rarely as I am brave enough to practice, it will be a few more years! Big Hugs!

      Delete
  9. Wooo un trabajo impecable, has logrado las telas perfectas en total armonía con cada habitación.
    Se encoge el corazón ante tanto sufrimiento, deseo que nuestras amigas del mundo mini sigan bien.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Rosa María! Fue divertido hacer tantos a la vez según las preferencias de todos los personajes.
      El mundo entero parece un lugar volátil en este momento. Rezo para que nuestros líderes se detengan y tomen un respiro. Mantente a salvo, amigo mío.

      Delete
  10. Dear Jodi, your sewing skills are very good to me! You have made beatiful bedding, the girls and boys sure will have sweet dreams in their beutiful beds, lucky them! And I have to say, I adore the tassels, so cute! ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I got a little bit braver this time but still need so much practice. Watching YouTube videos of so many skilled seamstresses has me in awe of them! Wow! Sewing is an art form all its own! Glad you like the bedding! It feels great to have them accomplished!

      Delete
  11. Oh I'm running so behind on blogs! But this was such a wonderful way to get back to them. I love your fitted sheets and all the pillows and duvets! So pretty and happy!
    The little dragon rug is wonderful and those pillows...wow. Very luxurious!

    I think Wade's bed is my favorite though, because it's so him. And it contrasts so much with the other beds. The tassels are the perfect touch. He deserves some luxury too!

    Knowing your fitted sheets are removable I'm envisioning laundry day in the treehouse and everything half pulled off the beds when someone gets distracted mid task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! Life seems crazy busy right now, right?!? Glad you like the bedding and I love your laundry day scene idea! Sounds like it could be really fun!

      Delete
  12. Dear Jodi, you certainly underestimated your sewing skills. The beddings are awesome. I love how they fit everybody in the house. I'm now looking forward to seeing Rozario's completed bed.
    Thank you, too, for thinking about us in Israel and the people in Ukraine. So much evil around us.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drora! I am not surprised that, even being in the middle of such evil going on at your doorstep, you would still take the time to encourage me. If everyone in the world had your heart it would already be paradise. I am sending my prayers and petitions, and a giant hug! Keep safe, my friend! You are ever in my thoughts!

      Delete
  13. A lot has been said in the previous comments already. I agree with all of them by the way. But still I want to say That I love how these mini's turned out. A great way to use the dresden paper. the bed really looks like woodcarving. And I love the faabrics you have chosen. They work so well together! Great show.

    Huibrecht.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Huibrecht! It was a lot of fun to play around with all the material and materials for the bedrooms and bedding! A big milestone in the project has been accomplished and that feels grand!

      Delete