Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, August 31, 2023

Details, Details, Details...

Adding the trunkhouse to the Fairytale Treehouse project is like literally adding a whole additional household to the project! Roz needed lots of stuff. What I vaguely thought I had in my supply stash or that I could "borrow" from waiting projects (like the Storybook Cottage or Pound Cake) was vastly different from what I found there. You see, I stopped impulse buying in 2018 as a policy and only shop now for the things I REALLY want or REALLY need or DEFINITELY can't make. This discipline supports my goal for a worry free retirement.😜 And it forces me to excercise my creativity muscles. But it's not so good for the mini stash.  Luckily for me I had made an extra set of 3D printed kitchen stuff last fall. Those pieces provided almost everything Roz needed. What was also fortunate was that she was thrilled with the style and variety, and was totally excited that each piece could be custom painted in colors to suit her preferences. Hooray!

Some of last fall's unfinished 3D printed kitchen collection.

It wasn't long before I had things painted and she had an organization plan. Then we got busy loading the shelves. It turns out Roz and I make a pretty good team! What follows is a bit of a preview of our progress so far.

The three wall shelves below will live between the sink and the stove. They are perfect for food storage and daily essentials like dry good canisters, stacking mixing bowls and honey.


This floor shelf also lives between the stove and sink (under the wall shelves) and is perfect for storing everything Roz needs for baking up her delicious desserts. There is also a handy utensil crock and a pear shaped cookie jar which will always be filled with Rozario's favorite charcoal chip cookies. That's not a type-o! I did say charcoal chip. Like most dragons, he loves his cookies burnt! Here's another fun fact: According to Roz, only the most magically gifted cooks in this forest have stand mixers! Electricity magic is MIT Masters level magic, apparently. 😜 


Between the stove and the breakfast nook will be the wall shelf that holds pots, pans and casserole dishes. In spite of being a height challenged bear living in a tall person's world, Roz's special anatomy gives her an advantage. She simply flutters her wings, hovers in the air and grabs what she needs. Unfortunately, this often frightens new company. So, to keep everyone calm, she keeps a stool handy. When visitors come by she pretends to need it to reach high places like everybody else. 😜


Magically inclined or not, there's nothing more irritating when you're cooking than losing or dripping something in a hard to access crack. Having straight backed furniture in a round room would certainly increase those odds and could drive anybeary nuts!  So, for the back of the sink, I added a contoured Sonotube scrap so that it would seat right against the wall. Then I added a matching top so Roz would have a handy place to grow all her herbs and spices. Hopefully, eliminating the crack will prevent any "magic" words escaping from Roz's kitchen!






And while we're talking about the sink, I've been making and gathering a few essential items Roz needed there, too. An assortment of cleaning supplies will be handy underneath the sink. Something Roz always likes to have on hand are steel wool scrubbing pads. If your mini folks happen to need S.O.S. pads, too, I made a box printie and tutorial to share.



Above the sink and next to the window will be a small shelf for holding paper towels, a plant and a coffee grinder. Though there won't be much wall space left, Roz still wanted to hang a couple framed art pieces. She's become a big fan of the beautiful watercolors done by talented local gnomes.


Opposite the sink, across the viewer's opening, will be two more wall shelves. They will be installed one over the other. The lower shelf will store some of Roz's favorite cookbooks as well as her current collection of aprons on the pegs below. The upper shelf will store a vase of flowers, a coffee pot and a large beverage pitcher. These only come down for entertaining company. Her handy step stool will be stored right underneath for quick access. 😜



In a corner of the breakfast nook will live the open hutch. Here, Roz has places for all her dinnerware. She keeps her favorite Pothos plant next to her favorite photo (which was taken with Birgit's gorgeous purple and white pansies). Roz takes cuttings from the Pothos all the time, roots them in water and then gives them to all of her friends. You can see by how short the branches are now that she's made a lot of friends since moving here! Not to worry - both the Pothos and her friendships will grow wonderfully strong with time and attention.


This single shelf will live between the arched windows in the breakfast nook. It is home to her new sparkly purple tea set which she will use only for special occasions. Below it will be the photo of her, Rosey, Fluby and Rozario. Just look at how amazing these lovable characters are! Their creator must be a person who is wildly imaginative, brilliantly gifted and incredibly generous!


Roz also asked if I could provide her with a hanging system for drying her herbs and flowers. I was happy to accommodate that request! She makes all sorts of things with them from her own special tea blends to spice blends and medicine. She's a very knowledgeable Fairy Beary Godmother and we are all so lucky to have her with us!


Once dried and crushed, Roz will store her herbs in the tins of her new spice rack. She wants to keep it close to her cooking pot because she tastes and adjusts a lot when she's cooking. She loves to have a salt pig filled with her favorite sea salt and a garlic pot with roasted garlic handy, as well.



Believe it or not there is still so much more on our list to add! Rugs, kitchen towels, cleaning supplies, gadgets and more food! And when all that is done Roz will need to bake special treats for the kitchen's christening party! Details, details, details! And that is why, my friends, the big kitchen reveal will have to wait until next time. Hope to see you then!

xo xo,

Jodi

22 comments:

  1. Jodi,que cantidad de cosas bonitas nos enseñas, no sé decirte que me gusta más, tus utensilios de cocina son magníficos! La idea de las plantas frescas para cocinar es genial, nunca le faltarán para cualquier guiso delicioso.
    La estufa ha quedado divina, mágica, me gusta muchísimo. Y el fregadero con su agua corriente wow!!
    Muy práctico el taburete para acceder allá donde la altura no da, de hecho yo tengo uno muy parecido y me viene estupendamente!!
    Deseando ver todo colocado!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Pilar! Una vez más me encuentro creando una mini cocina y lo mejor es hacerlo pensando en la personalidad del cliente. Me estoy divirtiendo mucho, especialmente cuando puedo encontrar soluciones a los nuevos desafíos que enfrento con las salas redondas. ¡Muchas gracias por tu participación en este viaje de fantasía!

      Delete
  2. Wow Jodi, what a great selection of kitchen items! Especially given you are using what was left over in your stash! I think it’s better stocked than my own real kitchen. It’s all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! It was a good thing to have an extra set of kitchenware in my stash and that Roz was fine with going more contemporary! She tends toward the "busy" side when it comes to decorating her spaces, so finding enough "stuff" was going to be challenging! I'm so glad you like how it is coming along!

      Delete
  3. I'm speechless! Let me sit down and recover!!!

    Jodi I love it all, what more could anyone wish for in their home kitchen? Everything is so beautifully colour coordinated and perfectly organised. I'm sure Roz and her friends Rosey, Fluby and Rozario will have a ball in this "simply to die for kitchen".
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Thanks X! I am glad you like it and I just hope when it is finished that there is actually enough room left for everyone to gather!

      Delete
  4. We are always in awe of of all of your accessories. Who would think that a dragon would need SOS? I haven't thought of them in years--they were always my favorite kitchen cleaner as a kid--I was head dishwasher. The little collection of plants is cool, too, and all of you printed dishes are perfect in purple. Rob must be over the moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! With my mini hoard dwindling with every project I am going to be forced to make more with my 3D printer! Luckily, this "old" batch worked for Roz's kitchen! I use S.O.S. pads a lot so I knew Roz would appreciate their usefulness, too! They're essential for all my stainless steel and enameled cookware so that I can clean fast and get back to minis, lol!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jodi! I guess it is a good thing you had all those "kitchen wares" just waiting on hand! They look truly lovely in the wisteria colorways! I am sure Roz is over-the-moon happy with the development of her kitchen... and you have found so many ways to display all these lovely items and have them right at hand! I think the addition of the curved backs for the sink and shelves is perfect.... and necessary! (The trials of building in a circular room! Lol!) The herbs on the shelf are a wonderful addition to the sink! And I just Adore the picture of her "birth family" hanging on the wall! :):):) This Trunk house is almost stealing the show for the Tree House.... but because they go together so well.... I suppose that's just not possible.... so I guess it is really the perfect "Foundation" for the Magical world it supports! I guess you know I have a fondness for the Beary Magical Worlds!!! Keep up the wonderful work! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! It was great luck to have all these kitchen items on hand! Remember when mini websites didn't charge sales tax and shipping was reasonable and reliable? Not the case these days so when I buy it is in bulk and way less frequently. This is why I appreciate the ability to make my own minis even more!
      Knowing Roz was a bit of a packrat (though an organized version) I knew I had to fill every bit of wall space with storage, it had to be curved and it had to be open so everyone could enjoy her "hoard", lol! What a fun challenge this has been!
      It makes me so happy to know that you feel like the whole Fairytale Treehouse project is special because it really is to me. I am deeply good at heart and so disheartened that the world is not what we were taught to believe growing up. It's important to me to, in my small way, put joy and fun and levity back into it in some way. You and so many others in our "small" world do the same. I don't think we'll ever know in our lifetime how important this is, but we all know, somehow, it helps to "magically" balance out all the evil. 💗

      Delete
  6. Jodi, I absolutely love everything!! Your kitchen items are so wonderful, I was ooohing and aaahing as I read through your post. I have sadly fallen victim to the allure of miniature things I can purchase, and I've gone a bit crazy! I need to take on your resolution now! And thank you so much for the SOS printable! It's just what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I am so happy that you like all the "stuff" and are able to utilize the printie! It is so hard not to buy every adorable mini thing we see! There are so many amazing artisans doing minis now that the urge to buy is powerful! I had my indulgent impulse buying run for several years and it was so much fun! I built up a nice stash and made it so that I was able to "shop" my stash for a long time. Now it is just time for me to use up what I already have. I truly believe in supporting each other's art whenever possible, so you just keep doing what is right for you.

      Delete
  7. Fantástica elección de utensilios de cocina, has pensado en todo lo necesario. Fluby, Rozario y Rosey estarán muy contentos con esa cocina tan completa, su hierbas para cocinar y el cuadro será un recuerdo imborrable; no echarán en falta a su familia de Alemania. Me encanta todo y muchas gracias por el tutorial.Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Rosa María! ¡Es sorprendente la cantidad de cosas que necesita una cocina y aún más la cantidad de cosas que pude meter en esta pequeña cocina! Extrañar a la familia en Alemania es difícil, pero el efecto disminuye un poco ya que Roz y Rozario se tienen y comparten sus recuerdos. ¡Me alegro mucho que te haya gustado el tutorial!

      Delete
  8. So pretty! I love all the colors and how everything is coordinated. The curved back to the sink is genius because everything will fall back there if it doesn't hit the wall. The prettiest sweetest kitchen for the sweetest Beary Godmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! The purple hues have been a lot of fun to work in! I find myself singing Journey songs in my head, remembering sixth and seventh grades and my purple themed bedroom. Glad you like it, too!

      Delete
  9. La cocina parece muy completa. Siempre son necesarios muchos utensilios, pero a esta cocina no le falta de nada. Me encanta el color y lo conjuntado que está todo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel! ¡A Roz le gusta llenar cada espacio! Afortunadamente, estamos encontrando casi todo lo que necesita. ¡Con suerte, pronto vivirá en la casa baúl y disfrutará de su hogar!

      Delete
  10. Late again... but still in time to shout out: Oh, what a wonderful post!!! ;O) And so full of the most wonderful news... like for example that we don't have to worry for you and how you're coming along after your retirement. *grin* What a great example of self-control you are... *deep-bow*... however, why should you ever consider buying stuff when you're able to create it yourself with the help of your trusted machine park and exactly to your needs and purposes.

    And it's so wonderful that your needs and purposes fit so well with Roz's desires and wishes. She's a bit of a packrat you say... and somehow a hoarder too? Hmm... could it be she's carrying some of her creator's DNA inside of her? *LOL* My personal demon is very strong and convincing when whispering "Don't throw that away... there will come a day when you're going to need this. You have many Sometime-for-somewhat-boxes so go and use them!!!". Well, in Roz's case all of this shouts: "Start baking right away!!!" And you made me blush with your words about her creator... it almost made me wonder who you were talking about... I mean... "brilliantly gifted"??? *deepblush*

    It's so lovely to see what you've created so far for Roz's kitchen and I'm looking forward to seeing all those pretty shelves etc. in their places some day. And of course Rozario's charcoal cookies... these really made me smile (Btw - I would recommend Roz a certain spell Draco once used when he gave a special gift to his godfather aka Fluby. It was a self-filling strawberry basket (A dream come true for Fluby of course) but for protecting Fluby from his greed... eh... addiction there is a magical limit of one refill per day). I also had to giggle about the clever idea to avoid any future kitchen issues or curses by filling the gap behind the sink with some kind of a herb place. And it also made me grin that Roz doesn't want to shock any visitors by flying around and that she will use a stool instead... oooookay... my, who would ever expect a winged fairy beary godmother to flutter around... *teehee*

    All of this was so lovely to see... and another big smile was of course caused by the S.O.S. pads (thanks for tutorial btw). But now I'm in trouble because now I'm hearing this certain ABBA song with slightly different lyrics in my inner ear: "So when you're near me, darling, can't you hear me, pass the S.O.S. The pad you gave me, nothing else can save me, S.O.S. When they're gone, how can I even try to clean on?" - Okay, okay... I should better go one to the next post, I know... anyhow, I'm saying it with ABBA again: So long, see you honey! ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! Ha ha! A big reason for me getting the Cricut and the 3D printer is so that I'd have the ability to be self sufficient, lol!

      This hobby has a way of turning even the most well intentioned individual into a saver of things with potential! 😜 Our biggest challenge is actually remembering where we put something! Hopefully, Roz will start out organized, at least. No guarantees what her place might look like next year, though!

      Great tip on the "refill spell". I'll mention it to Roz! And I'm sure Roz will eventually fly around in front of the new folks, once she's sure they don't have a heart condition! 😜

      I love your "Weird Al" Abba song lyrics! Now I've got it stuck in my head, lol!

      Delete
  11. Fantástica colección de menaje que has conseguido recoger en tus tesoros.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias mariana! ¡Nunca se sabe cuándo serán útiles, pero fueron una oración contestada cuando los necesité!

      Delete