Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, June 15, 2023

Trunkhouse Windows, Doors, Ceilings and Floors

This week turned out to be all about the trunkhouse's windows, doors, ceilings and floors. I am struggling to know the best order to do things in, but I figured if I at least had some idea what is going where, I could work on getting them ready. If I start with the first floor and work my way up, I can just grab the next part when I need it. For those of you who are considering building a trunkhouse of your own one day, even if I proceed in the totally wrong order, maybe my trials, errors and solutions will help save you from a few headaches.

Last week I had cut the floor/ceiling dividers from chipboard. This week, I added some nice wood flooring strips to the floors and some rough and ugly veneer strips to the ceilings (I didn't have enough of the nice ones). Then I treated them all with Fred's Weathering Stuff.

I needed to add rim bracing beneath each floor of the Sonotube to prevent the floors/ceilings from falling through. For this, I cut strips of cereal box cardboard. Trix aren't just for kids! 😊 I laminated many layers to counteract imperfections in my circle cutting. The same cardboard strips, which I'll use as baseboard later, will offer a similar solution for any gaps showing above the floor.

A paper cutter helps me keep the strips consistent in width.

Some strips are tripled where bigger gaps persist.
These "joists" will be hidden beneath the floor.
You may notice that I primed the Sonotube's interior.

Last week I touched on the challenge I'd face with the trunkhouse's windows. I had a few frames in my stash that I was looking forward to using, but how to create/place a window into a curved wall? I took a little Hobbit liberty for the solution and decided to build out some boxed windows. This will allow me to ignore the curve in favor of the size and shape of each individual window. When all is said and done, it will seem as though the trunk of the tree is much thicker than it is. And an added benefit is that each of these windows will offer a little shelf, of sorts. Who doesn't need more storage???


Some of my window shapes themselves offer unique challenges. Using the half circle windows as an example, not only do they have to fit into a curved wall, they have to have a special frame made for them. To accomplish this, I first measured the outside dimensions of the window -  8-1/2". I cut an 8-1/2" strip of illustration art board to the depth that seemed appropriate, then at every 3/16", I made a slice - not all the way through, just enough so that the strip would bend.


I applied wood glue around the straight edge of the window, making sure where the strip would have to turn the corner there was a slice. I held it in place until the wood grabbed - about 60 seconds or so. Then I let it dry thoroughly. I applied glue to the rounded part of the window frame, and again, held it until it set. Once the glue had grabbed, I secured the assembly with a thick rubber band to firmly hold it for the rest of the drying process. 


Once dry, the frame and housing can be sanded flush.

Prior to assembling the "boxed window", I traced/cut the window's pattern onto scrap cereal box cardboard. I measured for placement on the Sonotube, traced the window pattern onto the Sonotube, then cut out with a box cutter. With minimal sanding, the window fit. I traced the contour of the curved wall onto the window and will cut away the excess when it's time to glue it in.





This same process also worked for the round window. When I eventually apply the Paperclay to the interior walls, I'll be able to blend the seams in nicely.




And when I (eventually) create the bark for the exterior, I can turn the window's protrusion into a cut branch, a knot, or just a bump in the bark. All of these "features" should serve to add charm to the tree trunk's character. I hope! đŸ€ž


For this unique window, I created a foam core box to mimic its shape. Then I traced and carved the curve right into the foam core. Perfection isn't necessary - between the glue, Paperclay and "bark",  no gaps will be left behind.







At this point I changed my mind on the placement of the round window which had been installed in the bedroom's alcove. I replaced it with two "leaded" square windows to create more symmetry. For these, I added basewood frames attached to foam core boxes.





 I moved the round window beside the bedroom's balcony door.



I had two more of the square "leaded" windows, so I used those to create both the interior and exterior window frames for the front door.


I have an idea for the living room windows which will flank the wood stove - I am waiting for a package before I will know if the idea is actually going to work. Until it arrives, I will spend my time painting the doors and windows, cutting beams for the ceilings and more cardboard strips for the trim. Boring, fiddly, repetitive but necessary. See you next week!

xo xo,

Jodi

30 comments:

  1. This is a really fun idea Jodi, and I can see why you are having trouble deciding what to do in which order. The window construction idea is great and a really clever solution. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I am spending a lot of time thinking through scenarios, and when I finally reach consensus with myself on which way to go, I'm having a blast getting there! If only I could make good decisions faster!

      Delete
  2. The windows not only add a lot of character to the Trunk House, they define it. I am always amazed at your vision and then your ability to turn it into something great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! With such limited interior space, I am having to be very careful where I place things so that it won't later be covered by furniture. Same with the door openings and in which direction to run the floorboards and beams. Who knew circular rooms could be such a challenge!

      Delete
  3. I really love your fantastic creative windows solutions. All your tips and tricks make it fun to read your posts. This Trunkhouse is going to be a unique beautiful witch's home. I hope Baalatova isn't going to get ideas.....
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Drora! Ha ha! Just let Baalatova watch me long enough, and surely she will see my paint myself into a corner - even in a round house, lol! She will have mercy on you and love what you have already created for her!

      Delete
  4. Your windows are so gorgeous! I'm gasping in awe and delight here! Your Trunkhouse has to be the most amazing thing I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind encouragement, Michelle! I know you are new to minis and so you haven't had a chance yet to see all the truly amazing creatives that belong to our beloved village of mini nuts. If you go to Betsy's, Birgit's, Elizabeth's, Greg's, Shannon's, Sheila's, Drora's (and so many more) blogs or to many YouTube channels like Sharon Ojala's, you are sure to come away dazed with inspiration! I encourage you to spend a day poking thru the Great Reads column on the right side of my blog. You will have the time of your life and see that I am just a drop in an ocean of marvelous creativity! Thanks to all these generous folks, the inspiration takes on a life of its own. You know this because of your wonderful blog and lovely feedback you get about how you've inspired so many with your special skills and talents!

      Delete
  5. Oh, what a wonderful post! And I can almost hear Roz shouting: "Oh, what a wonderful future home!" ;O) And as I always like to learn new terms in English I'm glad I could learn today that "thinking out of the box" has to do with building in windows. *LOL*

    I really admire how you've solved the problem with attaching all those different windows into round walls, totally brillliant. And once the "barking" is finished this will add so much charme and atmosphere. Not to forget what you already mentioned - the benefit of having additional storage space inside.

    I've really enjoyed your photos to the fullest, especially the ones with the view outside. I bet Roz and Rozario are already dreaming about the interior decoration (although I suppose they have different expectations as I fear Rozario goes with Mick Jagger: "Paint it black!" *teehee*). It's as always a pleasure to drop by here and see your newest work, progress and additions. And anybody who ever plans to build something similar will be totally inspired from your work and your solutions. And now have fun with your boring, fiddly, repetitive but necessary tasks! ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! Roz has already assigned her paint colors, picked her fabrics and is shopping through my drawers for household needs and décor! She is sooo excited!!! Rozario, by contrast, could really care less. He is completely enamored with Wayne and all his tools and how to build stuff and how he can help with that fiery breath of his! The two of them enjoy camping outside under the stars each night, and no matter how wet the firewood is, Rozario can get the campfire started! It is like one big vacation around here and everyone is so happy! I just wish I could spend more focused time at my craft table but real life stuff just won't let me play!!!

      Delete
  6. Wow Jodi, you are making amazing progress! And the methods you are using are absolutely genius! The "hobbit" feel of this place will be just right... even though this is inside a Tree, rather than underground... but the "homey" feeling will be the same. You have explained the way you are dealing with the curved walls and straight windows in a way that is easy to understand and translatable to other structures with irregular forms (like slanting roof tops). I think your method of working on all the parts you have a "mental picture of" helps to bring the rest into focus. This is such a fun project to follow... and is beyond inspiring! (I need to get back to my Tree House, don't I?!!) Keep up the great work! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! It feels slower than I'd like but I'm having fun with all of the puzzle solving! I just hope I can continue to find solutions for all the unique challenges! As for your treehouse... It would be so neat to be working on our treehouses together! You should definitely follow your inspiration, and if that means you do rhodies for a couple days then the treehouse for a few more - so be it! Like me, I bet you only have to overcome the issue of having enough space to have several projects going on at once. Easy, right? Lol!!!!

      Delete
  7. Jodi, you've really outdone yourself this time! What a genius idea to use the Sonotube for a trunk! The windows and doors are simply wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! If there was any way to see our fence having blown down as serendipity, getting the Sonotube trunk idea is it! Always a silver lining, right? I'm glad you like how the ideas are coming!

      Delete
  8. ¡Genial, esa variedad de ventanas ya son pura fantasĂ­a!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! ¡Me encanta que haya tantas oportunidades para la creatividad en este proyecto!

      Delete
  9. Fantastic progress! The windows are perfect for this project and they are fixed really well. I also like the floors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! I am really having a lot of fun with this genre!

      Delete
  10. You do a great job and the pictures show that you have a decent workspace for this great hobby. It would be nice to see the workspace in its entirety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mummu! My workspace is our dining room, which now that it is for minis, actually gets used! It is such a luxury to have the dedicated space and not have to clean it up for company. I share photos of the set up every so often, but just now, it looks like a bomb went off! I am "in progress" on so many projects!

      Delete
  11. Oh Jodi I love this project, I can see my elves taking over this space!! You are such an inspiration and the detail you put into your projects always amazes me, those windows are to die for !!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks X! The elves are most welcome - I am sure we can find space! Inspiration is like love, right? We get it, we give it and it just keeps on going around! I would not have the joy that I do or the ability to share the creativity without our amazing community of miniaturists. Thanks so much for your support and encouragement!

      Delete
  12. What a marvelous idea! Do you stay awake at nite thinking of all these creative and imaginative ideas? Lol. You have so many wonderful ideas and describe each vision so thoroughly, it makes your creations (almost) doable for other projects. I look forward to every post. There's always something new and exciting. A "trunkhouse"! Who'd a thot!?! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JCH! Actually, it often feels as though I am just the body who follows the commands of some creative spirit, but I am happy to volunteer! I honestly don't know how the ideas or solutions come, but because the joy and fulfillment that follows is so thorough, it must be divine. And my dearest wish is that by sharing, the creativity infects readers who then experience that same joy and fulfillment in their own creative pursuits. This has been such a fun theme to indulge in!

      Delete
  13. Fantåstica idea para unir las ventanas de la casa en esa forma redondeada, quedan geniales, las puertas son muy bonitas! Estoy deseando ver los colores elegidos para pintar todas ellas, sigue disfrutando y haciéndonos disfrutar de tus mågicas ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mi trabajo en las Ășltimas 6 o 7 semanas ha sido mucho mĂĄs lento de lo que esperaba, pero la vida sigue llenĂĄndose de cosas que me quitan tiempo. Con suerte, puedo encontrar mucho mĂĄs mini tiempo para el verano restante.

      Delete
  14. Oh I'm going to remember this trick with the framing! Dealing with curves is always insanity inducing!
    I love how it looks so far and I can't wait to see more. You've got me so curious about how the 'House' will fit into the tree and how the trunk living quarters will access the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! It has been challenging but rewarding to work out all the details. Hopefully, I can get back to my craft table a lot more often this summer. Life has been so full of other things lately!!!

      Delete
  15. Es una gozada ver como vas encajando cada pieza en su sitio con paciencia y precisiĂłn.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Mariana! ¡Realmente estoy disfrutando el desafĂ­o y el proceso!

      Delete