Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, June 8, 2023

Not A Townhouse... A Trunkhouse!

I'm not sure if this has ever been done in miniature home building, but what you are about to see attempted is the creation of a Trunkhouse. It's like a townhouse, in that the rooms are stacked on top of one another. But this one will be inside the "trunk" of a "tree". The "trunk" is actually a concrete form tube, known in the construction biz as a "Sonotube". These cardboard tubes are coated with a moisture barrier inside, and are ready made for concreting things like wooden fence posts into the ground. They come in various circumferences. My 10" tube is actually 9-1/4" of what I hope will become suitable living space for a very special Fairy Beary Godmother and her pet dragon.

48" of heavy duty, moisture barrier coated, cardboard tubing.

Intended purpose of a Sonotube

Here's the rough idea, very elementarily demonstrated by combining generic graphics. Imagine the Sonotube becomes a Trunkhouse, like a Townhouse, only it's the trunk of a Treehouse.


Are you picking up what I'm putting down? Great! Let's move on...


Because my tube was 48" tall and I needed only 33" (three 9" tall rooms and a 6" base at the bottom to accommodate roots), I needed to cut 15" off. Have you ever tried to mark and cut a tube? Well, let me tell ya - it's tricky!!! The best way I could come up with was to hang my tape measure from the top, then mark the tube at 33" at many places around the tube. To connect the marks, I taped my fabric measuring tape just below each mark. I used the top edge to draw my lines around the tube. Then I rechecked my drawn line, just to be sure. Because the tube and lettering are constructed in a wrapped diagonal, my eyes didn't believe my brain! The method seemed to work and I employed it again to mark where each floor/ceiling would land. 





I made note of the circumference in case I needed to know later on. 31"!


To cut the tube, I scored the line several times with my utility knife. Once I had a nice groove, I went in with my razor saw. I found that I had more control with the utility knife, so I used that exclusively, going forward. The biggest challenge was holding on to the the heavy and awkward tube while cutting.


Once I had the length cut and the floors marked, I could create the openings. I wanted something large enough to be able to reach inside to finish the rooms. And to be able to see inside well. But I also knew I'd need to preserve some wall space. I made a cardboard pattern, then traced around it in between floors.


It took a little patience, but eventually, all three openings were finished.


In the interest of creating more trunk details and a little extra room, I decided to attempt to utilize the 15" of leftover Sonotube. I reasoned that if I cut it in half lengthwise, I could make smaller rooms that connected to the main room which would provide additional living space.


But this cardboard is extremely stubborn! It needed to be coerced into bending at a more severe degree. I was able to persuade it with some wood strips and lots of wood glue! 


Once the strips had had a chance to set up well, I figured I'd better cut the openings into the room additions. 

This is upside down, of course! Easier to reach!

I wrestled the half tube in between the wood strips, glued them and taped them like an engineer. Luckily, this will all be covered in bark at some point, so there is no use trying to score extra points for neatness!


Once the gobs of wood glue had dried enough, I finally got a look at it upright. Like me, you'll have to do your best to imagine it clad in chunky bark and branches.


Russ asked me what type of base I was going to use. I told him it would be plywood, about the same size as the dollhouse. That should make for a stable and balanced diorama. He suggested that I glue a piece of plywood into the bottom of the Sonotube so that the base could be screwed up through it. A plug of sorts and much more secure with screws than glue alone. Great idea, Russ! Thanks!



I traced and cut the "plug" with my scroll saw, but when Russ saw that it was only 1/4" plywood, he said I should use 1/2" or 3/4" plywood. I told him I used what I had and what I had tools capable of cutting with. He chuckled like he always does at my "mini tools". Then he offered to cut a sturdier "plug" for me. Thanks once more, Russ! I will use my wimpy 1/4" plywood plug for the ceiling that connects the trunk to the treehouse.


I also cut and laminated the floors/ceilings out of two layers of very inexpensive chipboard. Because of the curved walls, I will likely create the floor bracing and the baseboards from cereal box cardboard. But before floor/ceiling installation, I should probably decide on windows/doors and cut the openings. I pulled a few things out of my stash, but will probably end up making custom windows with the Cricut. Bending chipboard to form around the curved walls will be much easier than bending wood, though I can create a few pop out boxes too. 


While the glue was setting up on the pop out trunk section, I had time to work on the front door. I'd picked up this door at Auntie Em's in Glendale AZ in 2017. I'd always envisioned it becoming a fairy house door, and now I actually have the perfect project to use it in! Getting the curve right for the enclosure and the shed roof was a bit of trial and error. Luckily, since I'm using foam board, it is easier to make adjustments than it would have been with wood. I'd really like to cut a window into the door, and to finish it while I can move it around, so for now, it will remain temporarily in place just for photos.


Here it is placed at the height that it will actually sit on the trunk. I imagine some stairs leading up, but my ideas are sure to evolve as I begin to incorporate the tree's roots.



Looking into the living room, you'll have a peek-a-boo view of the door alcove. I may add windows to the side panels, as well. We'll see!

I thought it might be nice for Roz to have a small balcony off her bedroom. Because wall space is at a premium, I decided on a single door. The door was a leftover from a previous kit - I just had to recreate a frame and drill holes for the hinge pins. I'll decide on railing details when I get to the exterior finishing.



The trunk's character is beginning to take shape, and that will help a lot in deciding on windows and their placement. Then, I can get those openings cut out, too!




I'm having a design meeting with Roz soon, and I think she's going to feel like the trunkhouse is off to a good start. I have exciting ideas for some interesting interior features, and I bet she'll agree! Hopefully, this addendum trunkhouse to the fairytale treehouse project will be fun for you to follow along with, too. Maybe it will even inspire you to make your own fantasy project!

Back soon with progress...

xo xo,

Jodi

28 comments:

  1. Dear Jodi, I knew it! You are on a roll and making a Fantastic Trunk House!!! (I will admit, it is more than ever making me want to get back to the Tree House..... but time will tell! Rhodies come first at this point!) I Love the Sonotube base! (It is just what I imagined, being larger and sturdier than Quaker Oatmeal boxes, but similar in nature!) Your methods for ensuring the cut was accurate and level show your engineering savvy!!! I remember someone making a "Brambly Hedge Tree House" once, and I think they used a sonotube for their structure. But anyway, you are steaming ahead with awesome additions and bump-outs! I love the Fairy door too! I will be patient to see the stairs and windows you come up with... Great Great Work!!! :):) And bless Russ for being so helpful too!!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I am excited and also asking myself why I dunnit at the same time, lol! I guess I am feeling as compelled as you are with your amazing treehouse project and it just must get done, somehow! I have asked my real life to not bother me for the entire summer, and I hope it's going to listen! You have to go where the compulsion leads you when you are doing something extraordinary like the Rhodies - the treehouse will be ready for you this fall!

      I just did a search on the Brambly Hedge treehouse and realized that I have seen that amazing project sometime in the past. So much stuff comes up in the search that it's going to require a real deep dive. It looks so inspiring!!! Thanks for the tip - my breaks are going to be very interesting!

      Right now I am trying to reason out the best and most logical steps to proceed - it is tricky when I don't trust myself to work neatly. Wish me luck!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jodi! Just by seeing the beginning I can already imagine how great this Trunkhouse will be. It's a brilliant idea and very interesting. Thank you for sharing each step and your method for cutting the tube. I am sure it will be useful to many. I can't wait to see more of the progress of this wonderful work. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amary! I am so glad that you are here with me! I hope sharing all the details as I go will be a helpful nudge to get other mini dreamers started on their own mini journeys! There is almost nothing more fulfilling than following your creativity!

      Delete
  3. The trunkhouse reminds me of this: https://aboutmydollhouses.blogspot.com/search/label/Tree%20House%20Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the link, Bridget! For those that don't know, this is Betsy's incredible 1/4" scale treehouse that is connected to the landscape of her wonderful Folly project. If you are unfamiliar with it, I highly recommend going to her first post and reading the whole series. It is still a work in progress, but what Betsy has done so far will leave you inspired and electrified with ideas!!!

      Delete
  4. I would never image such a project. The Trunk House will amazing, awesome. What a build. So much planning and muscle strength. This is going to be a fun ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! My heart beats a little faster when I think of all the work ahead of me, but then I remember what a priviledge it is to be able to make an idea come to life. One bite at a time, enjoying every step, we'll get there! Thanks for coming along on the adventure!

      Delete

  5. Esto va a ser genial Jodi!! Esa casa tronco adosada a la principal va a ser un proyecto impresionante, que ganas de ver más avances!
    Nunca se me hubiera ocurrido usar ese tipo de tubos para la construcción, pero me lo apunto, yo hice mi casa tronco con los tubos de las patatas "pringels", al ser en escala 1/48 fue lo suficientemente resistente.
    Me gusta mucho la disposición de las habitaciones con los pequeños anexos que comunican con las habitaciones principales.
    Cuanto deseo ver la rugosidad del tronco y sus ramas! Estás muy inspirada, sigue la estela de la imaginación!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Pilar! ¡Estoy tan animado por su entusiasmo! Quiero hacer que esta idea cobre vida tanto que se sienta como una compulsión, aunque sé que hay mucho trabajo por delante. Me encanta la idea de usar una lata de pringles! Un día, cuando Russ y yo nos enfrentemos a la "gran reducción", es posible que pase a escalas más pequeñas. ¡Serás mi inspiración! ¡Abrazos!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow Jodi another new project, I am very curious how it will turn out. But your fairy house also looks great, beautiful with the roses. And you also received beautiful gifts. I'm on a bit of a summer break right now. greetings Gonda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonda! Me too, lol! I am feeling a bit out of my element here, but one step at a time, right? Enjoy your break and come back this fall with more delightfully inspiring projects for us!

      Delete
  7. Jodi!!! Wow! Wow! Wow! I'm blown away by your creativity and your construction skills! Being quite new to dollhouses, I've never seen or imagined anything like this - it's truly amazing! You are opening my eyes to all kinds of possibilities, and I look forward to following along as you create this Trunkhouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michelle! It is amazing once you let yourself dive into mini creativity where your ideas will take you! I am so glad to help you begin to dream big! With your creativity and talents, the sky is the limit!!!

      Delete
  8. Another Wow from me! I love your creative new home for Roz and of course she'll love it as well. A balcony is a good Idea. Roz will be able to grow a few herbal plants there for her needs. It will be fun to see more of your wonderful ideas.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I am so excited at the idea of giving Roz a happy life with all she needs to live well! I need to find ways to work faster so that she and Rozario can begin to settle in! Thanks so much for being here and being part of another adventure with me!

      Delete
  9. Otra gran idea con la que estoy disfrutando de la creación de algo maravilloso....estoy segura.
    Que ganas de ver todo terminado porque la intriga es muy grande.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Mariana! ¡Me alegro de que estés disfrutando de la diversión conmigo! ¡Con suerte, todas las ideas se unirán de una manera agradable!

      Delete
  10. A fantastic and original idea. You have studied every detail. I'm curiuos to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! Me too! I hope that all the elements will come together in a way that leaves us with a delightfully fun diorama!

      Delete
  11. I better pay good very good attention to this post and the followings as I have been thinking that it's about time to give a home to a beautiful mice family 1/4 scale I bought a while ago from Aligra dolls. My idea was always to make a trunk house but I didn't know how to do it. Well, until now, lol. Like I said I better pay good attention 😉.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a fun endeavor, Alex! And it is always more meaningful, as you well know, when the home you are creating will become shelter for little souls! I can't wait to meet the wee mice family and I hope sharing my experiences will turn out to be helpful for you!

      Delete
  12. I love this! It's going to be so much fun to learn from what you're doing! I can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! There is a good deal of improvisation happening so I'm relying on providence that it will all come together, eventually! But disasters are always fun to watch, too, lol!

      Delete
  13. Ah yes, the amused chuckle of spouses... I know it well. But in our cases at least there is no malice to be found in the chuckling. And they help us out in the end! Russ is a great man for doing so.

    Since you started the magic tree house I have wondered what you would do with the 'tree' part. Im am glad to see your plans with it. It sounds like a very sound plan to me. And now it even can double up as a living space for the newest additions to the treehouse family!

    The Sonotube you will use looks strong enough indeed to carry everything. And I doo look forward to it all change into a tree trunk. I wish you good luck with this build and look forward to see your progress.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Huibrecht! No malice but definitely amusement! Is this what it felt like, before liberation, to be someone's pet? Awww well, it is such a nice thing to always have a willing, helpful mate! 😊

      The "plan" (ha ha) included always knowing that a heavy dollhouse/treehouse would need to have a strong base. But until a January wind storm took a section of our fence down, I hadn't thought of Sonotube. We bought them to install deeper fence posts and the idea struck. Serendipity, I guess?

      I am really looking forward to the messy, arty part of making the bark. Sharon Ojala makes it look fun and easy, but you and I both know sometimes things that look easy can be quite challenging! Thanks for your wishes of luck! I will need it! I hope I do okay!

      Delete
  14. Oh, what a wonderful post! ;O) And as a little bonus this time I appreciated very much to see your work desk in some photos as the things lying there gave me a good impression of the size. I have no doubt that Roz is shouting all the time: "Oh, what a wonderful project!" *LOL* - and I really love the idea of a balcony for her. I wish I could attend the design meeting the two of you will have and listen to her ideas and suggestions.... and to yours. Roz and Rozario are so lucky to have you as the constructor of the most beautiful trunkhouse ever in 1:12 (needed to make this specification as we can not forget that the award for the most beautiful trunkhouse ever in 1:144 goes to Betsy *smile*)

    Speaking of suggestions... I have a small one to make... well, it's actually more a wish of mine and here it comes: Could you consider to do the doorknobs of the trunkhouse's entrance door in fairytale style? I mean the style Alice would appreciate very much. I'm adding a link to an old post of mine to show you what I'm talking about (look at pictures 17 + 19: https://biwubaer.blogspot.com/2016/10/magischer-dachgarten-zum-zweiten.html ) It's simple and easy, I mean, if I could do it you will have no trouble with that. *grin* Btw - isn't it strange that back then we hadn't stumbled over each other yet?

    Oh, and there's another remarkable thing about this old post of mine as it shows the only stairs I've ever made in one of my projects - the floating rocks leading up to Gertie Gumthrop's roof garden... not that she or anybody visiting her would ever need them. And that's why I'm mentioning this - this one time in your life you should consider not to think about stairs or perhaps ladders inside your project. Yes, I know, that might sound strange and odd to you... but just imagine how much space you would be saving for furniture and decorations. Remember... you're building a fantasy house... for fantasy beings... with wings... and one of them can practice magic... whenever Alice, Goldie and Wayne are dropping by they can beam themselves up to every room they want to go to. That's what my magical bearies do all the time in their towers and it works well! ;O)

    I hardly can't wait for more to come and to see the most happiest Fairy Beary Godmother in the whole wide world enjoying her beautiful fairytale home to the fullest. Oh, and please thank Russ for giving me a good grin... his "pity" considering your tools reminded me of "Crocodile Dundee": You call that a knife... THAT'S a knife... *LOL*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! I am so glad you enjoyed the post and seeing my 'messy and chock full of too many "in progress" materials' work table! I can't remember when I've worked in a more chaotic environment except maybe cleaning Ande's room when he was little, lol. That kid knew how to make a mess!!! I have too many things going on here at once and a humongous project slated to begin this fall. More on that later... As for the treehouse, Roz is keeping herself totally occupied getting to know all her new neighbors and helping them with their wishes. Rozario, with his singular set of skills, has become an apprentice of sorts to Wayne! You should see how the two of them can tackle a welding project!!!

      Thank you for the wonderful doorknob suggestion! I had an amazing visit to your blog to see Gertie Gumthrop's magical roof garden and left totally enchanted and with renewed excitement about all the things I want to give to the fairytale treehouse! Your imagination knows no bounds! If I had discovered you way back in '16, I don't think it would have taken me nearly as long to become bewitched by the fantasy compulsion! Between you, Betsy and Sharon Ojala, I could burst with inspiration!

      It is funny you mention the unnecessary need of stairs for the trunkhouse. I have a working theory on that very topic which I was planning to address in an upcoming post. I think you and I are in complete agreement! I hope you like my ideas...

      I forgot about that scene in Crocodile Dundee! Yes! That captures Russ' attitude perfectly! And, if you ask me, Russ' smile will make you melt even faster than Paul Hogan's! 😍

      Delete