Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, February 23, 2023

I Should Have Turned Left At Albuquerque

I know the feeling, Bugs! My mini time took a bit of a wrong turn this week on the Fairytale Treehouse project. It started off so well - I felt confident in the next steps. Then, just as the first task was finished, I realized that I didn't like it AT ALL!!!

Let me explain... I love the purple cubby, I love the traditional Tudor wall vibe, but not TOGETHER!!! Uh oh!


Let's talk first about how I got lost. Remember last post when I shared my idea for Alice's second floor bedroom wall? I had doodled on the wall in pencil?


Well, I liked the idea of timbers and thought it would be a wonderful look in a fairytale treehouse. I cut 1/8" x 3/8" basswood strips and made the timber framing. So far, so good...



Then, I painted the timbers in a lovely shade of brown. That was the first sign of the problem, only I didn't know it yet.


The fun part came next. In between the timbers, I got to brush on a little wood glue, then squish in Creative Paperclay. To give it some texture, I pounced it with a stiffly bristled paintbrush. I was diggin' it!


The Paperclay dried overnight, and then I aged it with brown water washes. Khaki/brown for the walls and more brown/brown for the timbers. I loved this too. 


Just not together with the purple! Rather than compliment one another, they compete for all the attention. I need cohesion.

I was experiencing cognitive dissonance.


I didn't feel too lost. I just backtracked to where I went wrong and made a hard left. It was easy enough to neutralize the "stucco" and "timbers" with off white water washes. I mixed up a lilac shade instead to apply to the timbers. Definitely more in line with the look I wanted for the girls' bedroom!


The new color on the timbers nicely complements the bed cubby's purple wallpaper patterns. I love it! It will look more in keeping with forest living, too, once I add some aging washes to bring down the newness.

Very cohesive.

Phew! Crisis averted! Now I could move on to the next task! My goal this week was to get this wall as far along as possible while I could still lay it down to work. I needed to cut another opening in the wall and that is so much easier with a flat surface.

The third floor/attic space will make the perfect loft space for another forest dweller, but he has requested his own private entry. I turned to my trusty Design Space program to help me with his door.


The doorframe is a wee 3" high with the actual door being 2-1/2" high x 1-1/2" wide. The assembly was cut using the Cricut Maker and is comprised of both chipboard and kraft board layers.

Chipboard is brown and Kraft Board is taupe.

I used the door piece as my pattern to trace the hole onto the Linfield kit's wall panel, then cut the door opening with the scroll saw.



Entry surround.

Next, I added paperclay "rocks" to the door frame surrounds and "carved stones" to the frame overlays. This was my first time doing this kind of rockery (I have used egg cartons and Magic Masonry in the past), and it was so fun! There are many applications for Creative Paperclay that I want to experiment with in the treehouse. I am sure I will figure out some kind of technique for it by the time I am finished with this treehouse, and when I do, I'll share some tips. 



Once the masonry was dry I applied an overall gray color wash, then added selective color washes to each individual stone using the colors from the color board in this project. Once I was happy with the look I sealed the rocks and exposed chipboard with Mod Podge. I will likely add grout and moss, but not until I am treating the entire wall as a whole. I think it will look more consistent that way.

I painted the chipboard and Kraft Board layers of the doors, then glued the layers together. I added Dresden and nail head details, and "plates" and doorknobs, then gave it all an aging wash. Here is how the door surrounds and doors look together.


Interior and exterior door frame surrounds and door.

There is so much more to be done to make the door functional. I will sandwich both the window glass and a fabric hinge in between the interior doors/wall as I install it. And our occupant will need a porch of some sort. I am still thinking through which tasks are better done before or after the wall has been attached to the treehouse structure.


You'll get to meet the new occupant soon - he is relocating to the Pacific Northwest from New York State! I hope he likes the rain, the gloom and the damp, and that he doesn't mind his temporary housing with Vera and Virgil. More to come...

All in all it was a great mini week in spite of a minor wrong turn. Luckily, I realized it before I ended up in a cave in Pismo Beach! 

xo xo,

Jodi

27 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful, Jodi!
    I love that lavender color you used to paint the wood! It's gorgeous! And it looks amazing with the bed cubbies!
    And of course, your door looks amazing. . . I can't wait to meet the new occupant! I'm sure Vera and Virgil are thrilled to have him, and I'm sure he's thrilled to live in their gorgeous houses!
    Have a wonderful day,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! Making the door was so much fun, and I have a lot of fun ideas for the new occupant's living quarters, as well! I am excited to meet him myself!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jodi! I LOVE the Lavender look of the "tudor" wood framing! Just because it is the inside of a Tree doesn't mean it has to be dark and gloomy! :):) I am a firm believer in color and more color whenever possible, so I am eager to see the next steps you add too! And as for the forest resident... he looks like he is ready for trouble (and just has his "cute" mask on)! I hope he is a "helpful" forest friend and not the kind who raids the pantry! LOL! I am glad your week turned out well after all... it is so disconcerting when we think we know where we are headed and it turns out to be so different from what we want! But you rescued it without having to start over and that is a "whew" moment for sure! As always, I can't wait to see more! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I am so glad to have your encouragement about the timber colors! I can't explain scientifically why seeing and being surrounded by color makes us so happy, but I am soooo glad it does! It is really such a treat to be able to indulge in new or favorite hues with every new project!
      Oh no! I hadn't thought to ask if the new resident was a pantry raider, but his other qualifications were excellent! Fortunately, Goldie knows well the risk taking pangs of hunger, so she is likely to keep the pantry well stocked and open to all! :O)
      I am really winging it with this project and in such unfamiliar territory that I am sure to make many more wrong turns. I can only hope that I recognize them before I've gone too far and that my mistakes are undoable!!! đŸ€žđŸ’—

      Delete
  3. Great Save! Best to make these decision early, rather than wait and then face a disaster--as I have with a certain project. The house will be adorable and the mystery occupant will be a fine companion. Is he Cheshire or a ring tailed something or other? Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! Sometimes the easiest decisions come by seeing what we don't want! I am so relieved that it was so easy to redo the colors and get back in line with my vision so quickly!
      Alice may just adopt a cat at some point, but the new resident is not a feline. I can't wait until you meet him!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes you just have to go for it in order to see that the concept isn’t going to work. Of course the reason this time is that the browns are not in the purple paper pack. I really like your color correction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Sherrill! Thank you! It is sometimes necessary to see an idea with your own eyes and not just in your imagination before you realize it is not going to work. That means you may have to do things over now and again, but I am glad it was only paint! I probably have many more do-overs in my future, and I hope they are all so easily undone!

      Delete
  5. Eso es lo divertido. La posibilidad de cambiar y dar giros a nuestras escenas y eso solo se consigue trabajando y explorando.
    La segunda opciĂłn es mas dulce para Alice.
    Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Mariana! ¡Lo tenemos bastante fĂĄcil con las miniaturas cuando se trata de corregir errores! ¡Estoy tan feliz de que la pared fuera tan fĂĄcil de cambiar!

      Delete
  6. Yes sometimes things can go completely wrong but indeed the lilac color is better, luckily you were able to fix it. And the little door...so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonda! Yes! I am so glad it was only paint and not some expensive or hard to remove material!!! :O)

      Delete
  7. The eye is the best judge. It's good that you have been able to change colors and the Lilac is beautiful. I love the door.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great change of direction, Jodi. Things are looking wonderful. Now admit it - sometimes the "fly by the seat of your pants" technique is much more fun! Stressful, but fun! Looking forward to watching the progression. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! I have to agree that I am liking the free form process of "fly by the seat of your pants", though it is much easier to make progress when I know what I am supposed to be doing next. My debating time leaves me at a standstill! Ah well, it'll get easier once I have the walls up, right???

      Delete
  9. Menos mal que has podido cambiar el color, por separado se veĂ­a hermoso , pero junto con el malva se peleaban; muy buena decisiĂłn. Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa MarĂ­a! ¡Espero tener los colores tradicionales en el exterior y realmente espero que funcionen mejor allĂ­! ¡Estoy empezando a creer que habrĂĄ muchas pruebas, fallas y repeticiones con esta casa del ĂĄrbol!

      Delete
  10. Oh, what a wonderful post! And even more as I always like to learn new terms in English so I loved to do research on this Albuquerque-saying and I found out that I already knew this well from experience before I learnt about this saying. And another expression I really need to save in my poor old brain is "to bring down the newness"... ;O)

    Bravo for your solution with the timber! Why should those beams always be dark brown when we're able to add a little paint? Even more having in mind that this is a fantasy build and that the good thing about fantasy builds is that anything goes, everything is allowed and hardly anything is impossible. And now with the touch of lavender everything matches so well and creates a cheerful, happy atmosphere. Absolutely beautiful!

    And I'm already excited to meet the new occupant of the tree house. I would suppose it's a little racoon... and as our German word for racoon is "WaschbÀr" = "washing bear" you should consider to build him a little pool on his porch, enabling him to wash the goodies he got out of the pantry (whether with or without permission). *grin* The door with its stonework turned out stunning and it's great to see how you and paperclay are becoming good friends.

    As always I can't wait to see more... and I bet Alice, Goldie and "Forest Dweller Anonymous" feel the same.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! I am so glad to know that I can offer both entertainment and education when you visit here!😜

      That's right! Fantasy projects shouldn't be required to follow any rules, and trying to achieve the feeling you are seeing in your mind should be all that you pursue. My problem seems to be that I am easily distracted and have too many ideas on the loose. Especially when life keeps forcing me away from my table and I have to start my thought processes from the beginning when I finally sit down again. The song "make the world go away" is ringing in my head and I am singing it to the treehouse.

      "WaschbĂ€r" = "washing bear" is so interesting! I looked up the Algoniquan/Powhatan word for raccoon and it is arahkunem, meaning “he scratches with the hands”. I hope he doesn't do that or Enoch is going to have to have a chat with him! His given name, which I'll share in my next post, fits the role he will play in the forest community. I can't wait to introduce him to you and the gang! He's a cheeky fellow and liked posing for photos. Do you know the colloquialism "a ham"? That sums up our new resident!

      Back to work I go! Hopefully, since Russ is here again today and Tasha will be staying two days this week, I will still find time for progress!!!

      Delete
  11. The structure looks amazing. The stones with cartoon eggs aer so realistic. I like the new colors. I'm curious to see the new occupant of the tree house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! I can totally understand how you'd take a wrong turn, going for the traditional look. I love how the lilac looks. It blends so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! Once I know what I want to do I am focused and fierce. It's the 'knowing what' that takes so long to figure out! I'll keep plugging along, praying and crossing my fingers!

      Delete
  13. I love the doorway. I'm a fan of the "fly by the seat of your pants" technique. The new look is lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly! It's amazing how things just come together when you let the creativity flow naturally!

      Delete
  14. La verdad es que la primera opciĂłn chirriaba un poco, pero la nueva es estupenda y mas acorde con el resto del proyecto. La puerta para el nuevo ocupante ha quedado genial, a ver si pronto nos lo puedes presentar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matxalen! It is fun to both explore (even with the wrong turns) and to share with other mini enthusiasts! I value your insights and encouragement so much!

      Delete