Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, March 2, 2023

Introducing Wayne, the Resident Craftsman

Before we get to the fairytale treehouse progress this week, I'd like to introduce you to our new resident, Wayne! Wayne has accepted the position of Chief Craftsman, where he'll be working 'on call' to help the girls and I make our creative building ideas come to life. Wayne will inhabit the third floor attic space, where he'll enjoy a cozy living space with all the comforts of home, as well as a craftsman's workshop. This adorable felted raccoon comes to us from MarysFairiesBoutique in New York State and he is so excited about exploring his new surroundings.

Wayne sees his new door for the first time.

He's also very excited to make the acquaintance of all the other folks in the mini neighborhood! Alice and Goldie are so thrilled that he is here, and wasted no time showing him around the treehouse and filling him in on their plans!


And speaking of plans, there is very little planning going on in this project. In fact, I seem to have spent the last week getting partially done on tasks for the first wall, then getting completely sidetracked with an idea for the interior kitchen wall! Let me share the happenings...

Wayne's front door interior. Watch your step Wayne!

I managed to finish Wayne's interior door which required creating a "stained glass" window and a ribbon hinge. That's where I had to stop once it was installed because I'll need to install the third floor before I can do more. That's still a ways down the task list. I used the Gelly Roll Glaze pens to create the polka dot look with clear as the filler and green for the polka dots. Wayne really loved it because he is a real artsy creative type!


Interior Kitchen Wall

With timbers, paint and Paperclay applied.

Next, I made up a couple wall panels in Design Space and then cut them from chipboard on the Maker. To give them an interesting Tudor timber look, I layered 3/8" wide and then 1/4" wide timbers on top for a stepped look. I filled the space between them, under the window opening with timbers, too. I filled in the wall area with more Paperclay stucco. I chose a way more neutral paint for the timbers this time, and want to experiment with making knots and texture - soon. But first...



I wanted to attach the kitchen's pop out window to be sure all the wood trim and structure fit together. That lead to attaching the bedroom's pop out bed cubby, too. I also applied the glaze pens to some of the window features - it came out pretty well for this fantasy genre, though if I was doing a "serious" dollhouse project I'd need more practice.



And before I could take the next steps, I had an idea for the kitchen's interior wall. It is the wall that separates the kitchen from the living or Great Room as I am calling it. You'll see why later in the build.

But this idea was a very complicated one, and it is one that is still going to take me several days to finish. So I'll show a little peek for now and share the bulk of the work in my next post.

Kitchen divider wall.

Creating the oven door.

Happy March, everyone! Spring will be here before we know it! Unless you happen to live in the lower half of the planet. In that case, I bet you are looking forward to some cooler fall temperatures!

xo xo,

Jodi

32 comments:

  1. Oh Jodi,
    Wayne, the craftsman is adorable. He looks at home with the girls and I'm absolutely sure that he'll serve them well.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! We are so happy to welcome him to the mini family!

      Delete
  2. I cannot believe the extent to which you have gone to add such romantic and authentic detail. Your craftsmanship is amazing. And Wayne. Sweet addition to the family. The girls will need a handyman for sure to keep up maintenance in their lovely cottage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I seem to find stronger motivation when I build homes for mini folks who come with rich background stories. It gives purpose to the endeavor and lets me feel a little like I can help them. :O)

      Delete
  3. Los habitantes son encantadores, ya tengo ganas de ver a esas niñas con sus mejores galas. El progreso es genial, me encanta el color que has dado a la parte baja .Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa María! ¡Me alegro de que estés disfrutando del proceso conmigo! ¡Realmente debo estar ocupado encontrando ropa para las chicas! No les importa caminar en ropa interior, ¡pero algunos de los vecinos se ponen un poco rojos cuando las chicas pasan! ;o)

      Delete
  4. Oh, Jodi, how wonderful! And how thrilling to meet Wayne, too! I'm sure he loves his little door!
    And that oven door is just charming - keep up the wonderful work! I can't wait to see the grand reveal of the wall between the Great Room. . .
    Happy March,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! I am having such a great time with this project! I am so happy you are enjoying it with me and the girls and Wayne!

      Delete
  5. Your “no-plan” plan is serving you well. Wayne and his rock clad dwelling space are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrill! I really am enjoying the project, though I seem to be procrastinating on some of the tasks that are going to be a bit trickier to figure out! I know I will dive right in and figure things out as soon as I feel brave, lol!

      Delete
  6. Menos mal que no tenias ningún plan porque así dejas volar tus manos donde las lleva tu imaginación. Las paredes van tomando formando un bonito conjunto..
    El nuevo personaje es muy simpatico. ¿le vestirás de trabajador??
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Mariana! ¡Estoy disfrutando mucho de la libertad creativa de este proyecto! Estaba pensando que un delantal de cuero con bolsillos podría ser muy útil para Wayne. ¿Qué opinas?

      Delete
  7. Que simpático el nuevo habitante, espero que no se dedique a hacer trastadas tan propias de los mapaches... Me encanta como has dejado la vidriera, tengo que buscar esos bolígrafos, le veo muchas posibilidades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Matxalen! Creo que es mejor que esperemos bromas regulares de Wayne, ¡es solo su naturaleza! ;O)

      ¡Creo que te divertirás mucho con estos bolígrafos y seguramente encontrarás formas brillantes de utilizarlos!

      Delete
  8. Welcome Wayne, make yourself at home! He is a fine addition to the "menagerie" that will inhabit this fanciful treehouse. He'll feel at home there, no doubt. I am curious to see how the dividing wall between the kitchen and the livingroom will turn out. No doubt you will have thought of something interesting!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Huibrecht! I can't wait to show you the enjoyable things I am doing with this wall! It makes me so eager and excited for every aspect of this amusing project! I will have to stop avoiding other necessary tasks soon, though, and they involve more math than I trust myself with! 🤪

      Delete
  9. Wow! I really love how it all fits together...fantasy Tudor. It's looking gorgeous so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I am having so much fun finally getting to explore this genre! I keep having to tell myself to slow down so that I don't miss any opportunities to chase interesting ideas. It's really messy, too, which has been a pleasure!

      Delete
  10. Creo que Wayne será un estupendo guardián y amigo de las chicas!!
    Espero con curiosidad esa pared divisoria, seguro que será una idea fantástica de las tuyas!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Pilar! ¡Creo que Wayne será un compañero de cuarto tan animado como cabría esperar de un mapache! Con suerte, sus contribuciones valdrán todo el drama, ¡jajaja!

      Delete
  11. Wayne gave me a bit of a surprise as I was reading the text without seeing the photo LOL. He's cute and will surely appreciate his new lodgings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a gift it would be to have a resident craftsman in real life! Russ is an extremely handy guy - don't get me wrong. But when you construct for a living it is far down on your priority list in your "off time". ;O)
      The girls and I are going to do all we can to make Wayne feel right at home!

      Delete
  12. El mapache es encantador.
    Me encanta lo que enseñas de esa idea que estás desarrollando.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! Espero animar a todos mis lectores a seguir su inspiración. ¡Si puedo hacerlo, debe ser bastante fácil de lograr!

      Delete
  13. Oh, what a wonderful post! And how wonderful to meet Wayne... I already love him and hope we're going to see him very often. A crafter... somebody making construction dreams come true... and is able to come to aid whenever something broke or needs to be installed. And I am dealing with a certain furry guy whose skills are among making things like strawberries, candies or cookies disappear and opening parcels in a wink of an eye. Seems I haven't chosen the best priorities when I made you-know-who back then *LOL*

    And although Wayne is of course the star of this post I also liked to see your progress on the whole front. It looks amazing with the attached pop out windows and your framework. It really comes along... and the windows with their touch of color really add to the charm. However, I wonder now... what do you mean with "if I was doing a "serious" dollhouse project"??? What could ever be more serious than dealing with fantasy? *teehee*

    Have fun with making your plans and visions real. A great room sounds... well... great to me! ;O) I'm looking forward (as always) to see your next steps.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! We are all so excited to get to know Wayne and to enlist his skill in making our dreams come to life! I know what you mean about having critters around that don't offer much in the way of physical help - when I agreed to take care of Rusty and Woodson I knew I was signing up care for them (essentially toddlers) for the next 15 years!!! But I am sure that a certain flutterbeary does as much to fill your heart and soul as my furry boys do for mine! 💗 It would be nice though if they would pour their own kibble of pick up their toys every now and then! 😜

      I am glad to know you are liking the progress I am making! It is such a joy to let the character happen naturally for this treehouse! But at the same time it is hard for a perfectionist to intentionally be imperfect. It is good for my evolution as a human, though! ☺

      I am super excited about my ideas for the Great Room, and I hope I'll have enough space in this kit to make it feel at least a little grand! I am having such a fulfilling time with this genre, and I can't wait to share more progress with you!

      Hugs!

      Delete
  14. Hi Jodi. Great progress on a really fun project! Loving the oven door, it’s going to be fantastic and can’t wait to see where it goes. And no, not looking forward to cooler weather…. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! The oven piece has been so much fun to figure out! I know what you mean about not looking forward to cooler weather. Our calendar flips to spring in a couple weeks, but we don't usually get spring weather until the end of May. Just in time for June's ever present marine layer. When the sun is out here, though, it is breathtaking, so we enjoy those days until the sun sets at 10 pm!

      Delete
  15. Wayne is so cute. The progress are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! Not too much to show for the week but next post will be better!

      Delete
  16. I love how this is coming along. And the oven door is perfection. As for Wayne? What an adorable face!!! How could you not fall in love with this little guy???

    ReplyDelete