Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Monday, October 24, 2022

Almost Ready!

Hi guys! I'm back with an update on the 3D Printed Vintage Kitchen Minis progress. What an epic and time consuming journey this has been! Today I looked back and was surprised to see my first post asking for volunteer testers was September 1st. And it was a good month of designing and test printing the items before that! It just goes to show you that you never know what surprise adventures life will pull you into. But I am happy to report that I am almost at the point where I can take the product photos.

Prop Kitchen Almost Ready!

In my last post I had shared how I needed to create a photo studio where I could take photos of all the items I may sell. I already had the structure, so I just needed to outfit it with a "prop" kitchen to photograph the minis in. That has been a major undertaking - creating all the fixtures, furnishings and accessories. But it is pretty close to being ready so I thought I'd share some photos. I ended up making two sets of countertops. I used 1/8" basswood for both, applying a faux marble to one set and a butcherblock type top to the other. The marble may work okay in future photo shoots, but for the vintage kitchen items, I thought they would be better viewed with no distracting veining.


Faux Marble Counters

Butcher Block Type Counters

Because I have cookware items to photograph, I thought I should install a gas cooktop, too. I didn't want to go to all the trouble of making and installing a hood, so I made a compact downdraft type version. This leaves the wall space above the stovetop open so that I can add my shop plaque to the photographs. I also left it white/black instead of adding the "stainless steel" to have it be more of a backdrop than a feature. Like all the props, it just sits on the countertop, held in place by Aileen's Tack It Over And Over for removal if I need the counterspace for a different shot. The open shelving is repositionable, too, so I can move them around as needed.




In terms of props, I made quite a few. I tried to leave them as neutral as possible so that they would not compete with the actual products in the photos. I made up some pots of herbs and a tray to place them on, a pitcher with hydrangeas, paper towel holder, hand and dish soap pump bottles, some kitchen signs and wall art.






I made a plaque and some letters to include in the product photographs because all the people said to clearly define your brand. I'm adopting the blog colors for easy recognition, too. Oh there is so much to learn!





Some décor items didn't make the cut. The first utility island I made and painted in black didn't photograph well. I also found the big industrial lighting shade was a distraction, as well, but I may offer it at some future point with all the other lamps and fixtures I have designed.


I made many things, some of which are still having their finishes applied, like the cutting boards. The Java cup holder is still getting some kinks worked out, too.


Luckily, I had wine bottles left over from doing Tasha's Kitchen. That saved me a couple days worth of time.


For the banquet area, I made the bottom cushions out of 3/16" foam core, wrapped in quilt batting then covered with a "snow" colored cotton fabric. I borrowed the pillows from the Beachside Bungalow, with the exception of three that I purchased on Etsy. They turned out to be a perfect compliment!




The table is a design that I used to offer back when I had my Shapeways shop. I just topped it with a piece of scrap plywood stained in the counter color. I designed it to use on the deck of my Alki Point project, and there it is barstool rather than tabletop height and has a "glass" top.


I'm learning some things about photography, like black things often lose their detail when photographed with my phone camera and lighting. Better to use a dark gray to paint things like the spoon and fork in the future. 


Also, I am discovering that by diffusing the bright LED bulbs in my work room fixture, I get better results. I just place a sheet of waxed paper over the Lexan top of the photo box and it removes the glare but keeps the brightness.


So now that the prop kitchen is nearly done, I can begin the product photo shoot process. But first, I need to clear the decks, clean my work room and ready my mind for another learning curve. With a little luck and some dedicated mini time, I'll be back soon with my photos, the volunteers' photos, finishing products and tips and information to share about their reviews.


Thanks for coming along on this epic side journey! I hope you are learning some good and useful things throughout the process, too!

xo xo,

Jodi

29 comments:

  1. Dear Jodi,
    I was thrilled when I saw a new post from you! You're making amazing progress with your 3D printed kitchen - the speed you accomplished it with is remarkable!
    It is very evident the hard work and care you've put into the kitchen, and it really shows!
    Great job!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julia! It feels like I am slow moving on this whole endeavor, but I seem to keep thinking of new things to add to my To-Do list! It's all pretty fun, though, and it keeps me purposeful!

      Delete
  2. You are a font of creativity. I always thought a photo backdrop was a wall or corner with some subtle texture, but you have added all the detail one would find in a real kitchen. So this begs the question, how do you come up with ideas for all your details? Do you have sources you refer to for inspiration? Or does it just come to you naturally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The above comment was from Sherrill.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sherrill! All the proverbs come to mind when I ask myself why I do things to this degree. What it really boils down to is that if I am going to make a kitchen backdrop, I might as well make it as thorough as possible so that it is ready to go for any future ideas. If I keep going like this I am going to need another drawer unit in my workshop slated specifically for photo shoots and all the props!
      As for the ideas... I have about a million rooms floating around in my head that I would love to make real. If I'm having a brain fog day there is always my old pal Google to get the juices flowing!

      Delete
  3. I just told my husband: "This girl is amazing!" I am sure that folks will want to order your little stove with the downdraft vent instead of the vent hood--I would have with as much trouble as my hood gave me. I''m working on birthday gifts this week then I can finish the pieces you sent and email you my reviews. I love them all, but my fav is of all things the toaster and the sifter. I just know that your mini shop will be a huge success. So excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I appreciate your kind support! It would be easy enough for me to offer any of the things I've made for my own builds, they may just need to be edited a bit for folks to more easily print for themselves or finish. The greatest challenge I am facing is how much time I can dedicate to being a retailer. It sounds almost bad to say, but money is not a real motivator for me, the challenge is. So working 24/7 is not where I want this to go. I am only truly joyful when I am creating and working toward something, so balancing selling with mini time is going to be the key.
      I am glad that favorites have emerged for you and I hope you enjoy finishing the rest of the pieces! I have to do things in batches or I get cranky from the repetitive painting, washing brushes, painting, washing brushes, lol!

      Delete
  4. Jodi,entiendo perfectamente el gran trabajo que te ha llevado montar es cocina expositor ,crear la nueva cocina de gas,colocar todas las pequeñas maravillas que has creado,hacer tu logotipo....pero desde luego ha merecido la pena,se ve espectacular!! Me encanta como todo destaca y a la vez se complementa. Esto va a ser todo un éxito, no lo dudes!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Pilar! ¡Es realmente un trabajo de amor y estoy agradecido por el tipo de cosas en mi lista de tareas pendientes! Hubo un tiempo en mi vida que estaba lleno solo de análisis de datos y hojas de cálculo, ¡lo más lejos posible de la creatividad! Estoy abierto a lo que surja de esto porque sé que cuando pones todo tu corazón en algo, el bien vendrá. Incluso si no es el resultado que esperabas. ¡Muchas gracias por tu amable aliento!

      Delete
  5. The two side by side display rooms turned out fantastic. I'm sure your kitchen items will be a hit. I'm saving your hint about painting items light grey. I too am amazed about how quick it took you to make this display. Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I am glad you like the prop kitchen and that you found something useful to you in the post! It's funny how to me it feels like this whole endeavor is taking so long! Some days I feel absolutely lazy and bereft that I have not finished everything yet!

      Delete
  6. That’s a fantastic kitchen Jodi, it really looks great, and will be a perfect backdrop for so many little things. Your lighting looks just right - I constantly struggle with photos, lighting and cameras. It’s definitely an art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I have always struggled with the lighting for my photos. I need the bright white LEDs to see what I am working on, but they are way too intense and give horrible shadows for picture taking. It would be great to have a separate photo area from my workroom, but I just don't dare take up any more room for minis in my house, lol! At least not until I can justify it by the minis bringing in a little contribution to the household, lol!

      Delete
  7. Estás poniendo mucha energía y ganas en tu trabajo . Se nota en lo bien que ha quedado tu cocina para la exposición.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! Podría haber puesto los artículos en las pantallas que ya había hecho, pero no podía dejar pasar la oportunidad de hacer una bonita cocina. Estoy seguro de que habrá muchas oportunidades para usarlo en el futuro, y si no, ¡siempre podría ofrecer el roombox a la venta! ¡No es probable, jajaja!

      Delete
  8. What a fantastic kitchen design. I look forward to seeing it with your kitchenalia in situ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this Marilyn? If so, Hello Marilyn! If not, I thank you kindly anyway!

      Delete
  9. Fantástico Jodi, siempre me sorprende la facilidad que tienes en hacer las cosas difíciles en fáciles, como hacer una cocina expositora para tus próximos trabajos en 3d, pensar en una placa de cocina que se pueda retirar cuando lo necesites, bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa María! Tener la impresora 3D realmente hace posible aprovechar rápidamente casi cualquier idea que se te ocurra, ¡y es una gran sensación saber que a veces estás a solo unos minutos de obtener lo que necesitas! ¡Le digo a Tasha que su regalo no solo me ha liberado, sino que me ha dado alas! ¡Me alegro de que te guste la cocina de utilería!

      Delete
  10. Wow, Jodi, When you go to Town... You leave nothing out! LOL! This little "test" kitchen is amazing! And the pots are sure to photograph beautifully in such a well lit area! I really appreciate the tip with the wax paper.... not that I have Anywhere that is well lit! LOL! (But maybe someday...!:)) I am certain that people will want to order the herbs and the wall plaques and the cushions.... LOL! You are Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! Who knew there would be so many issues to solve with lighting!!! Too bright, too dark, too shadowy! And finding answers on the web about how to solve them seem illusive, complicated or expensive, especially when your equipment is a camera phone and basic editing software. I am so glad that I can share some tips as I learn and I hope they will help some frustrations for others, too. Our photos are the only way we have to share this amazing passion with one another, and it would be so nice if it wasn't such an enormous undertaking for all of us. I bet where you live it is the same as here this time of year... dusky dark for 8 hours and DARK for the other 16!!! Artificial light is all we have, we're forced to use LEDs now and they themselves come with a whole new learning curve! Yikes! Don't they know us more experienced dogs don't like to learn new tricks? 😝🤭🤪 Glad you like the prop kitchen! 💗

      Delete
  11. If one of those photos showing the kitchen corner and the seating area would be be displayed in any homes magazines, no-one would know that they were taken of a miniature! Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millimari! That is probably the best compliment a miniaturist can receive! 💗

      Delete
  12. Somehow to me the most amazing thing is that this gorgeous, stunning, beautiful kitchen is just meant to serve as a photo background. *LOL* As always you came along with a drop-dead-beautiful scene with many well chosen accessoires. I especially like the plate with your logo on, a very clever and useful idea. And as a side effect this and all the other things you've created tell their own story of your creativity and of what you're able to do. It's so much fun to follow you on your journey to new horizons. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! You always say the nicest things, and it makes me feel like maybe I have found my calling. 💗 I hope there are many years and the fulfillment of many more ideas in my future, especially if you will come along with me! 💗

      Delete
  13. Hey Jodi,

    I love the idea of this kitchen Roombox to display your miniatures in. They are already a treat themselves. Many a miniaturist would prise themselves lucky to have such a roombox, let alone the gorgious mini's you are to put in it.

    And using wax paper to disperse the glare of bright light while taking pictures.... that is one big usefull tip! thank you.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Huibrecht! I'm happy that you like the roombox and the décor, and that you found a tip you can use in your own mini endeavors!

      Delete
  14. This kitchen roombox is perfect to display your minis. And the second room is a great addition.

    ReplyDelete