Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, November 11, 2021

Beachside Bungalow - Living Room Progress

This week the momentum from the kitchen swept me right into the living room. The first major task was to figure out the seating. I had purchased a blue sofa and chair set in 2016 to use in this build, and at the time, the color scheme would have worked great. But time and a total change in design left the idea (and the actual pieces) of blue furniture in tatters. The foundations were still usable, they just needed recovering.


I took photos of every angle of the furniture before I began the deconstruction. I wanted to be certain I knew how to put them back together again, and which areas of the pieces might show through the fabric.



I was going from a dark to a very light material, so the yellow toned, rough wood needed a good sanding and strategic primer on the areas that might bleed under the fabric. 


I combined the separate cushion piece with the two padded pieces on the sofa's seat. This required that I cut the one long wooden cushion piece in two. I also took the opportunity to add a little extra cushion on top of the original foam padding. Uncomfortable sofas are a source of regret for many years, and I couldn't have that for Kairi and her friends!


I did a decent job with the recovering, though fabric and sewing projects are not exactly my forte. One issue I could see right away was the low height of the finished furniture. In spite of adding extra padding, the seats were 1/4" to 5/16" below the average seat heights for sofas and chairs (18" to 20" in real life and 1-1/2" to 1-21/32" in 1/12th scale). That's about 3 real life inches too short.



To correct this issue, I once again turned to the 3D printer. I made legs for the sofa and chair in both 1/4" and 5/16" sizes. I connected them to nearly flat 1/4" x 1/4" tabs to allow for more glue area with the fabric.



Then I let the ladies test them out to tell me which they preferred. They both agreed that the 1/4" legs were the sweet spot. 


After painting them with a couple colors that made them look close to the wood tones in the project, I glued them on using both Fast Grab tacky glue and dots of CA.


Now all they needed was a soft throw and some pillows. Luckily for me, I've had all the pillows for this project in my stash for years, even though I didn't know I'd be using them for this project! I just love when stuff works out perfectly!


The next decision was what to do with the wall between the door and window. That thought has niggled at me since I started laying out the plan for this kit. I always wanted a hall tree/bench seat sort of thing, but had big doubts that I could pull it off because of the position of the island. Then I decided to give it a try. All I had to lose was some chipboard and a little time, right? I searched and saved off some photos I liked, but what I kept coming back to were the super simple versions like this one:


It is literally comprised of eight pieces and two corbels. All I had to do was make my pieces a bit wider to fit my space, then let the Maker do my cutting for me..


After quickly assembling the pieces with glue, I tested it in the space and loved it!


I definitely wanted to add some nautical elements, so I got out the brads I've been saving for five years! I also added a little beaded Dresden trim around the shelf and bench seat. I had the corbels in my stash.


Paint...


Distressing and hooks...


Baskets and tufted bench cushion...


Pillows, books, clock, shell and vase...


And it's right at home! I'm sure Kairi will utilize this the moment she moves in to hang her hats, purses and tuck away her shoes.



After last week's kitchen post, I had a couple questions about the bamboo blinds on the door. I apologize for not thinking to share how I made them before! They are so simple to make, yet give a highly effective and authentic look. Here's what I did and used...

I purchased this bamboo placemat from Amazon. I chose it because it had visible stitching at one inch intervals, and I wanted to incorporate those into my blinds (remember how challenging any sewing is for me?). There are a number of color options. 


To secure the stitches, I measured where I would need to cut, then applied tacky glue to each of the stitches across the length, front, back, top and bottom of the piece I would need to cut. Once the glue was dry, I applied satin varnish to the front and the back of the mat, paying extra attention to completely covering the stitches.


Using my Xacto knife, I carefully cut the stitches across the area that I had glued with the tacky glue. I knew if I was very thorough with gluing the stitches, the leftover piece's threads would stay in tact for the next use.


To cut the width I needed, I got out my mini table saw. You can cut the mat by hand, but bamboo is very, very hard. When you measure for your window, be sure you account for enough extra to leave your stitching even on both ends. The blinds for my living room window are slightly wider than my bedroom window, so my piece ended up being perfect.



To create the top valance, apply glue on the second strip of bamboo, then fold over to create the height of the valance you'd like. I made mine three high. Clamp to dry.


To create the look of the blind being slightly rolled up, repeat the gluing process on the bottom of the blind. You will roll it up on the same side as the valence. Keep creating rolls until you have the desired amount rolled up. Mine have three rolls. Clamp until dry.




For mounting the blinds, glue a 1/16" x 1/4" piece of strip wood to the back side of the blind opposite the valance. You will glue this strip to your window trim. Clamp until dry.



Top: back side of blind. Bottom: front side of blind.

Here it is installed on the living room window. I ran a solid bead of Fast Grab tacky glue on the strip wood, then added tiny dots of CA glue to several spots on top of the tacky glue. It only takes a few seconds for it to grab on, but you still have time to adjust and make sure it's level and centered on the window frame. You can add a string with handles if you like, but I find it's not necessary to sell the illusion.  




So this is where the room has progressed, so far. It's been surprising where all of the colors and fabrics and odd ideas have lead me, but I really am loving the outcome!



I hope to be back next week to share the finished living room space. Time permitting, it will be all decked out with curtains, rug, art and décor. That stuff takes a long time to make, but it's so worth it! There's no bigger thrill than to see a mini house become a mini home!

Hope your ideas are taking you to surprising places, too!

xo xo,

Jodi

41 comments:

  1. I love those blinds! Thanks for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! You'll have a fun and successful time makng them! The one drawback is that they are so hard to cut.

      Delete
  2. So many great ideas. I love the furniture makeover, too. Kari must be out of her mind. The hall tree has to be the best piece. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! Suddenly, my mom and my aunt want me to decorate for them, too! That's a great feeling, though I'm not sure I'd be any good at making 1:1 furniture, lol!

      Delete
  3. Everything is SO fabulous! Thank you for sharing how to redo the furniture. I have quite a few pieces that I want to reupholster and had no idea how to even get started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bre! I'm so happy to have given you a starting point! I'm not gifted with sewing and fabric talent, but my best tip on recovering is to take your time. Getting the folds strategized, where to glue and where to cut worked out before you start is very helpful. Best of luck and have fun!

      Delete
  4. This looks lovely! The colours are so perfect and the furniture is as well. Except: you've covered up those pretty little decorations on the hall tree!
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emjay! It's funny... I purposely didn't put any decorations under the hooks because I knew they'd get covered up by the stuff that would hang there, then I ended up hiding the decorations behind the pillows and décor anyway, lol! Ah well, we know they're there!

      Delete
  5. Que gran cambio con el tapizado de los sofás y la idea de ponerle patas ha resultado perfecta! El mueble auxiliar con los elementos náuticos le agregan belleza al salón.
    Me gustan las persianas de bambú resultan un bonito contraste tonal en la habitación. Un gran trabajo Jodi!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. ¡Gracias Pilar! ¡Estoy tan contenta de haber podido rescatar este mueble! ¡Y me alegro de tener esta tela en mi escondite! Este proyecto parece saber lo que tengo y lo que quiere, ¡y esos son los mejores! ¡Sin decisiones difíciles!

      Delete
  6. So cosy,beutiful colours and talented work. I would like to live there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina! I wish my real life house was this nice, too! :O)

      Delete
  7. Very fine colors and I like your sofas. It is very cozy.
    Very good work!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britt! I am so glad I had this fabric in my stash! This project seems to have been planning itself behind my back, lol!

      Delete
  8. Dear Jodi, I am loving the outcome too!! What a fantastic and stylish space. I love all your ideas, so much that I found myself wanting to try several of them, that fireplace wall, the floor, the bench and those blinds!! They are lovely and easy to make, I can even make them myself, lol. So, Thank you so much, if you don´t mind I think I will have a go to some of your wonderful ideas. In the meantime I can´t wait to see the final result, It´s already a gorgeous living room. Those girls are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! It would honor me to have inspired some ideas for your amazing builds! All I ask is that you share with us because inspiration is the best kind of virus, lol! I'm so happy you like everything and really appreciate your kind and encouraging comments!

      Delete
  9. I am amazed again, the sofa has become very beautiful, nice fresh fabric, and the coat rack, beautiful!
    The kitchen is also very beautiful, it is so nice to see what you make with the 3D printer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonda! I am so happy you like how the first floor is progressing! I wish we lived next door to one another so I could show you how to use the printer - you'd be making amazing things in no time!

      Delete
  10. I love how you changed the color of the sofa and chair, I agree that dark blue would have been too heavy for that room. now its soft and airy like a vacation home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marisa! Yes - the blue had no place here, but I am so happy to have rescued that poor set! It has been my stand in for getting a feel for the space in my projects for five long years! It has earned it's new life and appreciation!

      Delete
  11. So many inspiring ideas! I love the hall tree. The sofa and chair are lovely and very much in style for the room. The blinds are marvelous. Thank you for sharing your work.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I am so happy you like the progress, and I hope you will make a hall tree for one of your great projects! It was a lot of fun to make!

      Delete
  12. The room is great Jodi, I love the bench seat. The girls look happy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly! The girls are really looking forward to getting my big hands out of their house, lol!

      Delete
  13. Upholstered furniture, hall tree and window blinds, you have been busy. Each week you amaze us and the next week you add even more homey detail. Your colors and textures for the Beachside Bungalow are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrill! I'm so happy that you like the way the rooms are coming together! My stash keeps surprising me with just the right materials and things!

      Delete
  14. Catching up in my reading! This is so pretty! And now I'm excited to try the bamboo blinds.

    I love your colors and how wonderfully the couch and chair turned out. And the hall tree looks great! Those baskets are so pretty. I need to try something like that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! You will love making the blinds! So fun and simple for the payoff! Let me know if you want the svg files for the hall tree. You'd have this thing cut and assembled in a couple hours!

      Delete
  15. Biggest congratulations of all is upholstering with stripes and getting them soooo right. Super well done. As always everything looks fabulous. I love the idea that the sofa and chair have just been waiting (five years) just for this. It really was meant to be here. The hall stand is fabulous in itself and it also adds another dimension to the room and a ton of interest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! I appreciate that you know the effort it takes to get those stripes matched up! Or in my case, pretty darn close, lol! I am so glad you like the sofa and chair, and the hall stand! It feels really good, after all this time, to be decorating this house with things that seem meant to be!

      Delete
  16. The furniture is perfect and light colors light up the room. The sofa is so cozy. And I really like the many details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! I am so happy that you like how the first floor is coming along! It feels like a group project with the most creative friends in the world!

      Delete
  17. Wow Jodi, that was Fast! And it all looks so "natural" it is hard to imagine anything different! The hall coat rack is fantastic and fits perfectly! Of course you had to have one!!! :) The recovered seats are wonderful and the stripes are so summery and fresh feeling! I am so glad the girls could help you out with the height for the seats. This is a tricky equation even in RL furniture! (I am short so everything is too tall for me! LOL! )I can't wait to see more! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I am so happy you like the elements for this room! In seeing photos of you, you are indeed a tiny person! If you were to find yourself suddenly shrunk down to the 1/12th version of yourself, you would most certainly be especially suited for the Chrysnbon and Bespaq scale of mini furniture! Some of these mass produced sets can be so big, so small or just in general "off", that adjustments must be made to have them look at home with their surroundings. Thank goodness I can quickly print legs now, lol!

      Delete
  18. Me parece muy acertado el nuevo tapizado. Y me encanta el mueble de la entrada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! ¡Se siente tan bien haber apostado por hacer y recuperar los muebles y haber salido exitosamente! : O)

      Delete
  19. What a wonderful post... that's what I was thinking as usual until I came to your well explained and shown part about how to make those stunning bamboo blinds. I swear I heard those bamboo sticks crying "ouch" and "aaaaahhhhrrgggh" and "take those claws away from me"... ;O)

    But without any further jokes, I too join the choir of saying how beautiful the living room space turned out. What a makeover of the sofas! And not only that they are now modern, stylish and totally pretty - they now have the perfect height too. So good the girls could choose the right size. And the bench is a brilliant addition - as decorative as it is helpful. And the way you've decorated it (as well as the sofas with the cushions) is awesome as always. However, regarding the now invisible nauticle decorations over the bench part... well, we all will know they are there.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! Yes - can you imagine being a bamboo placemat? You spend your days in the warehouse, just anticipating the day you'll finally be purchased. You imagine the home you will live in, the foods that will be placed on you and your biggest concern is whether the person who is responsible for taking care of you will keep you clean and in good working order. Suddenly, you find yourself covered in glue, varnish and being run through a saw and separated from the rest of yourself! I know we all feel that way sometimes, but we must remember that even when we can't possibly know our purpose, it is still an important one. :O)

      I am so happy that you like how the room is coming along! I am so excited that I am actually decorating, and may even finish this project! I feels so amazing to have kept my inspiration for this project, and my fingers are crossed that I can keep it going until every room has everything it needs for Kairi!

      Delete
  20. It is really starting to look like a home Jodi! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I am excited to be staying excited about finishing it, lol!

      Delete
  21. hi Jodi, I love your blinds! Thanks for sharing, now I can make them on my new DH. I'm thinking of getting a 3D printer. You make much wonderful things with it. Which one would you recommend and would the program work with my Mac Pro notebook? TIA
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete