Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Supplements For The Soul

I believe it was while creating the garden for the Storybook Cottage that I discovered my joy for making mini flowers. Since then, each time a project calls for flowers, plants and herbs, I get excited about the creativity involved in making them. There is such a variety of ways to color or paint them, including acrylic paint, alcohol ink and markers. It's so much fun to research each species and then figure out what you want to do! Whether I make them from a kit, punches, cut leaves and petals using the Cricut or a combination, it's an endeavor that completely fulfills me!


I'd collected kits over the years from Bonnie Lavish, Mary Kinloch, Little Goodies, SDK Miniatures among others, and because my projects to date never had much need for purple, I had many Bonnie Lavish kits in purple hues to start with. One of the things I love most about making these fun flower kits is, with a little imagination, you can add supplemental buds in various stages of growth to make them stretch farther. As you can imagine, making TWO flower shops at once, I need a lot of flowers!


For Bonnie Lavish kits, I cut extra lengths of floral wire to make buds. I dipped the ends of the wires in Fast Grab Tacky Glue, forming a ball, then let dry. Once dry, I made a mix of a pea sized drop of Fast Grab Tacky Glue and green acrylic paint in a color close to the leaf sheet, dipped to cover the white area and also let dry. Once dry, I matched the flower petal paper color in acrylic paint (sometimes having to mix the color myself if I didn't have a match ready made), dipped the top half of the green bud into the colored paint, then let dry. These looked like newly opening buds.


For buds that had opened farther, I used the extra colored paper surrounding the kit's cutouts to make supplemental buds. Using the smallest five petal flower punch, I pierced a center hole and then slid it up to the colored paint. Wrapping it around the paint/glue ball gives the appearance of  an opening bud. Using these supplemental buds I was able to turn 3 - six flower kits into 54 stems - plenty to make bouquets and pots in both shops. And, they'll look even prettier and closer to natural flowers.



I followed much the same method for the Zinnias, though when it came to the leaves for some of the buds I ran short. Using this Mini Punch Bunch leaf I was able to punch them out from the kit's leaf paper, then just remove the side leaves. I also added a vein down the center of all of the leaves with a straight edge tool and an ink pad. One kit made 36 stems with these supplements. 



The last Bonnie Lavish kits I wanted to use from my stash were Hydrangeas. I had three kits (and a partial leftover kit). They are so full that I didn't think they'd need to be supplemented, but I'll keep that idea open when I start assembling vases and pots. For the leaves on several of these kits, I have a leaf press that creates veins. It really does add a nice detail.


I also had a few S.D.K. Miniatures kits in my stash, so I decided to start with poppies. These flower shops are going to have flowers from every season, and we're just going to pretend that they are sourced from some magic greenhouse somewhere in the south of France. ;O)


I Googled "poppy colors" on my phone, and the first picture that popped up inspired me. I thought that the melon colored poppy would look wonderful in both the blue and peach color schemes of the shops.



I got out my alcohol markers and decided it would be great to have a color chart of the various shades I have for this project. Sometimes I find that the color on the marker looks very different on different types of paper. The SDK kits use silk paper, the Bonnie Lavish kits use colored printer paper. In general, the silk paper comes out a bit more intense, so I have to consider this when choosing colors. It also takes quite a while for the alcohol to evaporate, so I try to color the paper and leaves ahead of when I want to begin assembly.



There was enough materials in the SDK kit to make 12 poppies, so I decided to make six pale pink and six pastel pink. I also Googled the growing stages of poppies to see if I could include some buds of varying maturity. Using the glue/paint ball method, I also added some fuzzy looking green foam to the tops of some of the buds to replicate the fuzzy stage. I made supplemental buds that were opened a bit using a four petal punch and the extra space around the flower sheet. I had plenty of extra leaves, so I just cut them down a bit to use on the smaller buds.


This gave me many stems to make up a few full pots and add a few to mixed bouquets. I really love both colors and am glad I decided to use two.



After these, I worked on a sunflower kit, then some tulips. I'd like to try the 1/2 scale tulip kit, as I think that size would be much better in mixed bouquet vases. These ones look like they were fed Miracle Grow!


As you can see I have filled up one large Styrofoam tray. Here is the other side with the Bonnie Lavish flowers.


I'm working on a daffodil kit now, and that makes me really excited because it reminds me that spring is only a couple weeks away!  These stems will probably get planted in pots.



I have many more varieties to make, and my goal is to be finished with these shops around Easter time. That is when I'll get to give the blue shop to someone who is very special to me. It will be her first miniature anything, and is the one gift I can give that my whole heart goes into. I hope it turns out as amazing as she is, and I hope she loves it!

xo xo,

Jodi


30 comments:

  1. ¡Qué locura de variedad de plantas y colores! Si te gustan las flores tanto como a mi, me imagino lo que estás disfrutando con ellas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! Me encantan las flores de todo tipo, aunque mis intentos a lo largo de los años por mantener un jardín de verdad han fracasado miserablemente. ¡Gracias a Dios que la variedad mini no requiere que me acuerde de regarlas, jajaja! ¡Me estoy divirtiendo mucho!

      Delete
  2. Dear Jodi,
    AS I read the opening sentence of this post-"I believe it was while creating the garden for the Storybook Cottage that I discovered my joy for making mini flowers", that I KNEW that I was in for a VISUAL FEAST and it was! 😍
    I too, love making miniature flowers and spent most of last spring doing exactly what you have done. I've found that making Mini flowers put a "SPRING" in your step and a smile on your face which is what I imagine you must have felt as your GORGEOUS FLOWER GARDEN began to expand and Grow right before your eyes! 😍

    The BEAUTY of your colourful creations and the varieties which you've chosen for both cut and potted flowers, has been DELIGHTFUL to view and revel in- much like a cat rolling in catnip! 😸
    I ALWAYS learn something New after reading your posts, but more importantly I get to see a TRUE ARTIST AT WORK. You ideas and your execution of them, are not only original but the quality SUPERB! So whenever it is that that Certain Someone receives their special flower shop, they'll also be gifted with not only a display of your AMAZING TALENTS but a wee bit of your heart and soul as well! ❤️

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! It makes me so happy that your eyes are feasting on these little marvels, too! I know exactly what you mean about receiving a SPRING in your step, and I hope you get to indulge in this pleasure again this spring! I am so grateful to have been given this opportunity, and only hope I am able to make enough to fill these shops before my deadline. There are still so many varieties to explore!!! Your words are so kind and encouraging, and they fill my spirit with love! Thank you so much for coming by to enjoy this blessing with me!

      Delete
  3. !Woo que maravilla de flores , un colorido fantástico¡ ya me imagino tus dos escenas repletas de flores, y la persona afortunada disfrutará con ella; estoy segurísima , pues si la escena es preciosa llena será espectacular. También me encantan las flores , es un complemento indispensable en cualquier escena. Buena semana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa María! ¡Me alegro mucho de que te gusten las flores! No estoy seguro en este momento si estoy haciendo demasiados o no lo suficiente, pero no me preocuparé si quedan restos para otros proyectos futuros. Espero que las tiendas salgan tan bonitas como las he imaginado, y que mi amiga sienta el amor que empapó las suyas. ¡Espero que también disfrutes pronto de hacer mini flores!

      Delete
  4. Amazing. You have quite the production going. I always learn from you. You are fortunate to have a good stash of kits on hand, especially Bonnie Lavish, whose kits are so hard to come by now. I love the SDK poppies. I'be been trying to fashion my own, but the kits are so accurate in detail. I worked on Mary Kinlock peonies last night with better results than I expected. Fortunately I had directions that some had written. Your flower shops will be adorable and amazing and such wonderful gifts. Making mini flowers does become sort of an OCD thing, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I am happy to hear that you have been enjoying this wonderful flower making activity, too! I can't wait to pop over to your blog for inspiration!
      I am lucky to have collected many Bonnie Lavish kits! When KITZ Miniatures was closing them out I stopped by often to place many small orders over several months. I saw that Itsy Bitsy Mini was carrying new Bonnie Lavish kits, though I have not gone over to see for myself lately. I love SDK kits because they are so easy to personalize and come out so beautifully. I hope one day to have a few varieties of my own and saved for cutting on the Cricut, but time is not on my side yet. I hope you are discovering fun new tricks and methods! And yes - obsessive is a great word to describe how immersive this joyful activity can become!

      Delete
  5. Bring on the SPRING!!!!
    There is something so meditative about make flowers....Yours are so beautiful, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! Yes! Spring is so encouraging to the soul! And it would be good to describe flower making as therapy, lol! It resets your mind, focuses your thoughts, and lets you imagine all the places you can pour life into with them!

      Delete
  6. Hi Jodi! It is so wonderful to see you playing with blossoms again!!! They look fantastic! You have done such an amazing job personalizing these kits and extending the quantity of blossoms with your creative genius! I love the poppies... probably because I have some in my garden just like them (or I will in a couple of months when winter departs!) :) These flower shops are going to be so So Beautiful and cheering to see! I can't wait!!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I am having so much fun immersing myself in all these colors and methods for recreating baby buds! The poppies kit is so rewarding with it's sparkly sand for the centers, and being able to pick just about any color for them is amazing! I can only imagine how exciting it must be knowing that very soon your real life garden will be coming alive again! It makes these last few weeks of winter bearable! I hope the shops come out great - they have been waiting so long to shine!

      Delete
  7. Your flower shops are going to be just wonderful. As much fun as you have making flowers this is perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I hope they will! It seems like that ideal of the finished project is what we need to propel us forward through all the challenges. Some of the challenges, thank goodness, we actually enjoy!

      Delete
  8. Estas floristerías van a quedar magnificas.
    El escenario es sensacional y con todo el colorido en flores que nos enseñas serán grandiosas.
    Se ve que has disfrutado realizando tanta flor y menos mal ya que el trabajo ha sido laborioso.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Mariana! ¡Espero que salgan hermosos! ¡Estoy agradecido de que haya una recompensa tan alta en la fabricación de flores, porque el tiempo y la paciencia requeridos son significativos!

      Delete
  9. Spring arrived early at the flower shops! I wish I had the same motivation for making flowers as you do; maybe if they came out as beautifully as yours do I would. I especially like your soft peach poppies and fluffy hydrangeas. I have heard about the use of silk paper before. What is it and where does one get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that spring feeling! It is marvelous and so ineffable why it effects us so. I keep finding I have to DO first and then FEEL. Maybe that will work for you, too, Sherrill, and you just need to sit down with a kit. :O)
      I used to be able to get the silk paper from Pierce Miniatures, but their website is no longer being hosted. I am not sure now where to source it, but I bet with a little research you will find a great new source! I wish Susan at SDK would sell supplies in addition to her sensational kits.

      Delete
  10. Such a lovely treat to the eyes!!! looking forward on how it goes forward. Joy i get from your pics ahev no words to express.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Papitha! I m really looking forward to the bouquet and pot making stage!

      Delete
  11. It's spring! Your flowers are wonderful and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! The calendar reports that spring is only a few days away, but the biting wind outside tells a different story! Luckily, with mini flowers, we can enjoy both spring and warm temperatures indoors, lol!

      Delete
  12. maravillosas flores,me encanta verlas juntas luciendo todos sus colores,es maravilloso, una explosión de naturaleza!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pilar! It's a lot of fun to think about making the bouquets look more lifelike!

      Delete
  13. Hey Jodi,

    It never ceases to amaze me how realistic flowers kan look in miniature! It also looks quite daunting to achieve such effects although you make it look easy.

    I love the plethora of blooms that you have already made for the flowershops. What a work. but the result will be worth it.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Huibrecht! Or how a miniature garden can have almost the same soul hugging effect as a real garden! It's been a real pleasure to work on these flowers, and to share them with you!

      Delete
  14. Oh, what a wonderful post! And this time a very beautiful post, too! ;O) Without doubt spring has arrived in your part of the world and I've enjoyed so much to admire your stunning variety of all sorts of beauty coming along in blooming flowers. And I can only agree with Elizabeth about the TAAW (aka True Artist At Work *smile*) because that's what you are. Btw somehow it made me feel good to learn that you're creating additional buds and stems beginning to bloom the same way as I do. I'm preparing quite a few different flowers for future garden projects (makeover of Rosey's garden and a spring theme) and especially for a garden it wouldn't be realistic to have just flowers in full bloom.

    I'm especially in awe with your papaver orientale (we call this special variety of poppy "Türkenmohn" which would be poppy from Turkey in English), the colors are so realistic as this plant comes in so many sorts of splendid colors. And seeing your styropor field in full bloom was pure eye candy. Btw do you know the flower kits from Ebe (her Etsy-shop is moonflowerminigarden)? I've made quite a few of her kits and they're always fun to do. However, they are already colored... but when it comes to foxglove or iris I appreciate this very much. ;O)

    Have fun... especially when you start to decorate your stunning shops with these beautiful flowers. I hope we are going to see the result soon.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! It makes me happy to know that you enjoyed it! I don't know how to define "artist", but it makes my heart happy, too, to know that half way across the world you are engaged in the same soul filling creativity as me! A little fear has started to creep in to my mind at the thought that soon I will be finished with these shops. Then what will I do?!?!?
      Thanks for sharing with me about the variety of Turkish poppies! What an adventure it would be to go there and see them in real life!
      I have made a couple kits from moonflowerminigarden, and in fact, have a couple more to do at some point in the future. They are sweet peas, so will likely be utilized in a planting bed on the outside garden of a future project!
      I am getting to the end of my kits, and imagine the assembly of vases and pots will begin in a couple weeks. I am not sure I will make my Easter deadline, though I am trying! Hope to share more progress soon! Hugs!

      Delete
  15. Crafting flowers is what I love most in miniature work. Your flowers are gorgeous, Jodi. I'm sure the flower shops will be stunning.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drora! Your love of making flowers comes through in the joy they provide to the viewer! They are so lovely! I am having a lot of fun with the making process of the shops, but I also can't wait to look at them completed!

      Delete