Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Sunday, March 20, 2022

How Much Is Enough?

How much is enough? Though I've been making flowers for weeks, it feels like my progress is slow. So slow that I wonder if I’ll have to adjust my Easter deadline. And, at the same time, I’m enjoying the process so much that I don’t ever want it to end. Truly, I’m just feeling so grateful that I’m allowed to bask in this glorious pleasure. At some point soon, there are household chores that won’t be delayed any longer. There again, I’m so grateful to be married to a guy who values a joyful soul more than a clean floor. :O)


This past two weeks (since my last post) I have embarked on several new flower varieties, though I stayed within the purple, orange, yellow and pink colorways. First were the lilies made from an SDK Miniatures kit


It was fascinating to see all of the color combinations that lilies come in. I settled on orange, purple and pink using alcohol ink markers and a blender by Windsor & Newton. When it came to the pink ones, I departed from the inspiration photo so that I could experiment a little. The flowers in the back are carnation kits by SDK Miniatures.


Next up were peonies from a kit by SDK. Here I used Ranger Alcohol Ink in shell pink, though the color comes out a very pretty and vibrant coral color on the kit's silk paper. I gave some of the blooms more petals than others to replicate the various growing stages.


These glorious roses were made from an SDK kit commemorating N.A.M.E.'s 50th anniversary. They came with a pretty square, opaque vase and a yellow ribbon. Yellow roses represent friendship, so this was a perfect color for my project. Trying to vein the leaves was tedious, so I opted to apply veins with a straight edge tool and ink pad.


These gladiolus kits took a lot of steps and patience to accomplish, but I really did enjoy the process. I just took my time and tried to work on them when I was in a peaceful and grateful state of mind. I wanted the choice to put them in vases and/or pots, so only attached one set of leaves to the flower stalks and left the rest of the leaves on their own floral wires as the instructions say. I love that there are buds and full flowers in all stages.


We went to Tasha's new house for dinner last weekend. She is in a rural, country setting, so from the freeway to her house there are many farms. I was delighted to see grazing fields full of daffodils! Spring is really here! Do cows eat daffodils? If so, they must love this time of year, too! Mine are a little bright, so before I place them in front of the shops, I think I'll dust them with a little brown artists chalk dust. The daffodil kit by SDK does not include buds, but it's easy enough to make them up as you complete the kit's steps.

I guess I should probably state here that SDK has not paid me or provided me with anything to promote their kits. I just enjoy them a lot. :O)


For the greenery that I need for the bouquet vases, I made up some eucalyptus branches from an SDK kit. I also made the lilac kit and made extra leaf stems for greenery - there are plenty extra! To color the leaves I used Ranger Alcohol inks. They come in various shades of green, and can be mixed and blended with their blending solution. It gives the leaves amazing shading and depth!


Mary Kinloch sometimes has rejects in her eBay store. They are the laser cut sheets where something went wrong and all are not perfect but many are still usable. I bought this daisy sheet for $2 and had enough passable petals to make thirteen daisies. I used leftover leaves from a Bonnie Lavish daisy kit. They will make great filler flowers.


I wanted to put a hanging basket out in front of each store. I had a couple cheap unfinished hanging baskets in my stash, so I stained them and then filled them with Paperclay. I covered the surface with glue, then sprinkled "dirt" on top. The SDK kits come with dirt, and there is always extra. I save it and never run out, but you can use scenic dirt, as well. I then applied glue in between the slats and applied reindeer moss over it. Once the glue was dry, I gave it a haircut. A moss covered hanging basket.


To fill the basket, I used an SDK Fuchsia kit. I thought I would have enough to make both baskets, but because I wanted a really full basket, I made one complete basket first. Turns out I did not quite have enough flowers and buds to make two baskets. There are plenty of extra leaves, though, so I will go with another idea for the second basket. It will be fun to figure out a solution!


I left the back of the basket flat so that the petals wouldn't interfere with the wall.



I'd like to believe that I have enough flowers to fill the shops -  seventeen different varieties! Some will go in vases, some will go in pots, and some will fill buckets with single color/variety stems. That process begins next, right after I publish this post, and will reveal the truth of the situation.


If it looks like I am falling short, I have the materials I need to make up topiaries, herb and plant pots, or I can just add some more décor type junk. In any case, it will be a fun and fulfilling endeavor!

I hope spring has brought fun and fulfilling endeavors to your doors, too! And to my friends in the southern hemisphere who are heading into fall... I hope the change of seasons is a welcome relief for you, as well!

xo xo,
Jodi

32 comments:

  1. I believe you Jodi, when you say it was fun making the flowers. They are beautiful! Flowers, both real ones and mini ones are always a pleasure to the eye. They are God's beautiful gift for us to enjoy.
    I'll wait patiently for your shops to be filled.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drora! God is so good to us, and I hope I am always conscientious of all of the many gifts He bestows upon us, especially for amazing mini friends like you!💗

      Delete
  2. ¡QuĂ© maravilla Jodi, 17 variedades!, estoy feliz de ver tanta variedad de flores y colores .AsĂ­ que espero ansiosa verlas colocadas en tus tiendas. Buena semana, besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa MarĂ­a! Me alegro mucho de que te gusten todas las variedades! ¡Estoy emocionada de finalmente comenzar a hacer ramos y macetas para las tiendas!

      Delete
  3. How much is enough? When it comes to flowers on the first day of spring, you never have enough, but you are close. I was so inspired by your bounty, I ordered some kits from SDK for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sherrill I am excited for you! Enjoy your flower making and these first days of spring, too!

      Delete
  4. Dear Jodi, I wish I had your patient and talent to make flowers, they are divine!! I don´t know if they´re enough but I certainly know that they are gorgeous!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I used to think I didn't enjoy making flower kits, either, but once I started to like the results, I began loving them. Try them again using markers and inks, and I bet you will be as amazing at them as you are everything else you endeavor to do! I think David would enjoy them, as well!

      Delete
  5. Indeed a plethora of flowers! Hope you have enough. Always hard to judge. Wish we were on the same continent I have a few flowers without a home you could have had. Hey ho. Well done as always on that fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn! It's great to see you! Indeed - how many will be plenty? I may have to make additional flowers, but it's okay. I don't have to have my shop completed as soon as the one I am giving to my friend, so as long as hers has plenty the pressure is off. I wish we lived closer, too, more so because I would enjoy your company and doing some fun projects together!

      Delete
  6. Oh, my, you have a lot done...but when you are working in that scale they are so small...it will take a lot for our 1:1 eyes to take in and get the splash we are used to in a full size garden, can't wait to see them in your setting! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! I am excited to get them all arranged, too! They begin then to look alive! As for the scale - I think you are right. Actually SEEING things this small and picking up all the detail takes practice. I am a big admirer of those folks who work on smaller scales, as 1/12th is the smallest my old eyes can handle. :O)

      Delete
  7. Looking😍 at your Bloomin Abundance, fills my heart with Joy and Glad-iolus!
    I JUST LOVE IT! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I'm so happy to share them with you! What an operation it is to find all the containers needed to put them in and to decide what will go where! My craft table looks like a tornado came through the craft room!

      Delete
  8. A riot of glorious colour with so many lovely flower varieties...the shops will be beautifully colourful and visually interesting! A very happy project to undertake at spring time when we are craving the beauty of flowers! Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alayne! I am aiming for a vibrant look for the shops and so far the bouquets are helping that goal in a great way! I think the most difficult part is deciding what to put together and what will go where! Not a bad problem to have, right? I hope you'll enjoy the finished shops once all the decisions have been made!

      Delete
  9. Hi Jodi,
    I love, love, love all of your flowers. What a great idea to colour them in alcohol pens. Good luck building your scenes, I’m looking forward to seeing your progress 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie! Thanks so much for coming by and for your encouraging comments! The alcohol pens are so much fun to use because of their saturated vibrancy, and to have beautiful flowers when the fun is finished is the cherry on top! I hope you will get to experience this fun for yourself!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Papitha! The more joy we share the more the joy increases! I am glad you like the flowers, too!

      Delete
    2. Que maravilla de colorido y modelos.
      Ver toda esa colecciĂłn tan alegre llena el alma de alegria.
      Estoy deseando ver las escenas terminadas. SerĂĄn preciosas seguro.
      Un saludo

      Delete
    3. ¡Gracias Mariana! ¡Las flores realmente conectan con el alma de una manera inefable! ¡Espero que los ames aĂșn mĂĄs cuando estĂ©n cĂłmodos en sus jarrones!

      Delete
  11. Hi Jodi! Your abundant flowers look wonderful all gathered together awaiting their proper homes! I hope you have enough... but I know only too well how easily they become not quite enough! LOL! But you have other "fillers" to help too!
    As for the cows eating the daffodils.... I hope not because they are poisonous to most creatures. This is why those meadows of bulbs last and last... even the deer won't eat them! Tulips on the other hand are like candy to bovines...! :) But presumably you won't have to worry about cows grazing at your shops! LOL! I really look forward to seeing the assembled results! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! Now that the process has started, I am a little nervous that I'll run short! I keep reminding myself that at least I have all I need right at hand to make more!
      Thanks for clearing that up for me about the cows! Makes perfect sense, and when the tulips begin popping up, I'd love to sit an focus on one. How wonderful to see the joy in the lucky cow who happens to discover and eat it!

      Delete
  12. I especially love the basket because that's how flowers grow, towards the light. Which is why I recall my grandmother (the green thumb of the family) turning her flower pots so they'd grow evenly.

    And let's hear it for husbands who believe hobbies are more important than cleaning. Mine says that he doesn't want to clean, why should he expect me to always do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! My grandma also turned her pots! We come from very wise women and I hope it's in our DNA, too!
      We married the right guys for us! Now if only I could convince Russ to let me out of cooking a little more often, lol!

      Delete
  13. Oh, what a wonderful post! ;O) And the question in your title is easy to answer: If it comes to flowers there can never be enough! But don't "panic" - this is true for flowers in general but as far as your shops are concerned: You already have quite a good lot (or in other words a field full of beauty) and you will find easily out if there are enough as soon as you start to fill your vases. And you have the advantage that in a flower shop the flowers come along in sorts in their vases (except for a few ready done bouquets of course). So you will be able to always add some more vases with more flower varieties if necessary. And remember - a shop as lovely as yours will be highly frequented by customers... so a few vases filled with just a few not-yet-sold-leftover-flowers is very realistic. ;O)

    Your flowers are a feast for the eye and I can tell from the photos you had plenty of fun creating them. Oh, and not to forget - this hanging basket turned out awesome. And now have decoration fun - while I'm looking forward to see the result.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! I am counting on the "leftovers" being satisfied with being sorted into buckets and bouquets with the same colors! I am running super short and having to get very creative, so I think another flower/herb making stretch is in the cards for me. I'm so happy you like the hanging basket - I hope the second one comes out nice, too!

      Delete
  14. I love miniature flowers and yours are amazing. They look very realistic.
    and so many colors bring joy. The hanging basket is a small masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! Your words are very kind and encouraging!

      Delete
  15. ¡QuĂ© variedad y quĂ© colorido! Todo precioso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! ¡Creo que el Ășnico color que excluĂ­ fue el rojo!

      Delete