Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Sunday, February 20, 2022

Filling The Happy Tank

When you love something so much, when it's just an integral part of who you are, and nearly nothing else in life fulfills you as much or creates as much internal joy, it's really hard to give it up. Over the past couple months I felt my SELF shrinking somehow. Don't misunderstand - my heart has been FULL of family and plans for a future making incredible memories together, but still, something important was missing.

Last week, I found myself in between domestic projects and longing for something creative to do. Did I have a small kit or project I could do? It was then I looked across from my desk and saw the incomplete flower shops waiting patiently on my shelves. So patiently, as I haven't worked on them since February of 2017. When I did the math on that one I nearly fell out of my chair! Could it really be 5 years?!?!? That was when I started the chipboard storefront kits from Alpha Stamps that had the working title Botanique. One was planned for me to keep and one to give to a special person in my life.

When I left off on the projects I had only just scratched the surface - wallpapering and adorning the interior walls and ceiling with trim.



Then a panicked thought shot through me! Where had I put the kit's front pieces??? It had been five years, after all. And loads of other "stuff" has come into my possession in that time. I should learn to trust myself more. They were safely stored in the first drawer I went to. Phew!


They were blank canvases! Nothing holds more possibility than that! So, what could they become? My original ideas came flooding back into my mind. And in fact, I had started an idea folder for them on my computer way back then. Looking through the saved photos, my heart was still leaning in the same direction: A sort of old Paris type street shop that had seen a couple centuries, but was loaded with gorgeous fresh stems of all varieties and bouquets of every colorful combination. Herbs and plants, too!


So to start, I added a little detail and it didn't hurt that adding the wood trims strengthened the chipboard storefront, too.





And then came the fun part: the details! I used Dresden trims, jewelry findings, laser cut fretwork trim pieces leftover from other projects and some chipboard lettering.



I was having so much fun, and my happy tank was once again overflowing! This project was exactly what I needed, and here they were waiting for their turn in my hands! Hallelujah!

I forgot to mention that these shops come in two sizes: a standard depth and a deep version. I have one of each.


To finish the outside, I thought to keep them the way it might have been a couple centuries ago. A brick building encased in stucco. Of course, the shop has been through many things in it's lifetime, so some of the stucco has fallen away with time, exposing brick beneath. Luckily, I have some Magic Brik materials and Greenleaf Stucco mix in my stash from past projects.

The photos below are just after applying the Magic Brik around the foundation and in strategic areas on the walls.



And then below, laying on the stucco. The best tool for the job turned out to be my finger! I smeared it where I wanted, then took a moistened sponge to remove my fingerprints. And what a mess I made! A vacuuming break was imperative while the stucco dried.

Not knowing just how much of the original bricks color I wanted to show through, I painted individual bricks with washes in tans and grays. I got out the heat gun to assist the water evaporating. Time is of the essence!





The shop owners over the years have opted for the inexpensive approach, painting the exposed brick and the stucco in a unifying color, and not spending the money to make restorative repairs. But time and grime have left their mark, lending character. This was achieved with many layers of color washes and sponging until I liked the look. Right before I had taken them into the garage to apply spray sealer, I realized that I could add another layer of character by going over some edges with an ink pad. I hope to get to that fun step later today! 









Each of the shops will have a 12 volt chandelier hanging in the center of the shop, with a supplemental bulb on either side. Hopefully, this will be enough to light the shops well. If not, I may add candles with candleflame bulbs to the fireplace and lamps. The only issue there is concealing the wires. I would like them all to come out through the ceiling. That way, the battery pack or transformer can be hidden beneath a false lean to roof on the back behind the sign portion of the front cover. We'll see!

I can't say whether these shops will reach their conclusion this year or five years from now. I only know I am so grateful to have found the time and the enthusiasm to work on them again. It has been so good for the soul!

I miss my daily visits to everyone's blogs to see your progress, but hope to be able to roll that passion back into my routine soon. Until then, I hope each of you are filling your happy tanks and making progress on all your mini dreams!

xo xo,

Jodi

28 comments:

  1. How great that you’ve picked these projects up again and made so much progress! Beautiful work Jodi, these are so pretty already. I don’t think there is any substitute for hobbies when you are a creative type, no matter how full your life is with other people/things you love. I have always been the same - if I don’t create, I feel a bit lost. Great to see you back at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly said, Shannon, thank you! It is great to be working on fun things again!

      Delete
  2. Yay for the Happy Place!!! I am so Happy, Jodi, that you found time in your busy life-changing times to dig into these wonderful little projects! I hadn't seen them before (I hadn't found your blog yet?? when you started them!) But I think they are fantastic, and charming and so YOU!!! I can't wait to see them brimming over with blossoms too! But I know these things take time... lots of time! I just hope you can keep coming back to your Happy place as often as possible! :):) I look forward to sharing your Happiness!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I am really looking forward to the flower making! I hope life will continue to allow me to make progress!

      Delete
  3. Jodi,me siento muy contenta por ti,por haber encontrado estos dos pequeños proyectos que te han alegrado el alma! Realmente son deliciosos y no importa cuando los termines, lo importante es que han llenado ese "hueco" que tenías en un momento determinado,tus manos y tu mente han volado a ése recuerdo y te h
    están haciendo feliz!
    Yo también estoy en horas bajas de miniaturas, pero voy encontrando otras cosas que hacer, que realmente me apetece trabajar en ellas y me llenan por completo!
    Esperando verte más a menudo cuando puedas, un abrazo muy fuerte.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Pilar! ¡Espero que tu mini tiempo también aumente! Cada vez que empiezo a sentirme culpable por no trabajar en cosas más importantes, recuerdo que es Dios mismo quien me dio esta pasión, y lo hago en agradecimiento a su amor.

      Delete
  4. Wow! This turned out a marvelous creative piece of work!I'm so happy for you that you found some creative time to do it and look forward for more.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! It is amazing how working on minis puts my whole countenance at ease and has me humming the day away!

      Delete
  5. It's nice to find time for creativity.
    Both shops are wonderful inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Faby! It feels like coming home after a long and arduous journey away!

      Delete
  6. ¡Qué bien retomar un proyecto después de tanto tiempo! El interior ya lo dejaste muy bien. En el exterior has hecho un trabajo excelente. Me gusta la textura de las paredes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! ¡Es tan agradable trabajar en un proyecto olvidado hace mucho tiempo y volver al ritmo creativo!

      Delete
  7. I know exactly what you mean. A creative person just has to set aside time to create, and lucky you, to have two adorable kits just crying out to be worked on. I am always so impressed with your use of embellishments. They add so much without going over the top. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrill! It feels so great to open a drawer and find an abundance of things to work with! I truly am happiest when I've got something to work toward, especially when it involves crafting!

      Delete
  8. ¡Que bueno Jodi verte de nuevo creativa!, dos escenas preciosas y lo mejor que te salga del alma , es cuando mejor salen las cosas , ya solo con lo que has hecho son maravillosas. Espero verlas llenas, serán fantásticas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa María! Hacemos nuestro mejor esfuerzo cuando seguimos nuestra naturaleza, ¡y tener proyectos a los que recurrir es una bendición!

      Delete
  9. Wow your happy tank is overflowing beautifully Jodi. I love what you have done, they look so pretty, and the brickwork and stucco look brilliant. Looking forward to seeing the next phase :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly! It's been so much fun to be lead and not struggle for direction! I am very excited to begin making flowers and bouquets!

      Delete
  10. Jippy, it is always a good thing when you can fill the happy tank! Enjoy these two flower shops. The are becoming super! And it will be good to see your comments around blogland again in the near future. Your positivity and kindness is always very encouriging for all of us. ;-)

    But most important now is that you have fun and inspiration for your own mini proects again!

    Hugs,

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Huibrecht! I miss my role in encouraging our fellow mini enthusiasts, as I know how much the encouragement means to me! My time has not been my own, and new commitments have proven to have a sharper learning curve than I anticipated. But soon, I will have them under my belt and be able to resume a more constant presence in our community. I can't wait to catch up on all your endeavors!

      Delete
  11. I love how they've turned out. The brick/stucco look is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! It has been a very rewarding experiment! I love how with this hobby there is always something new to learn and new styles to explore!

      Delete
  12. Botanical themed blows my mind :) eagerly waiting for your next blog post with updates on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Papitha! I am hoping to be able to spend increasing time on mini projects again, soon, and will be so happy to share and hopefully inspire!

      Delete
  13. Que bien terminar estos proyectos. Seguro que disfrutaremos de tus avances.
    Hasta ahora todo lo que nos enseñas es amravilloso.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Mariana! ¡Espero que encuentre algo de inspiración de alguna manera para alentar su continuación de las exhibiciones de su gabinete!

      Delete
  14. It's easy to recognize that I'm very, very late as I've missed TWO (!) stunning posts of yours - but luckily it's never to late to arrive and say: Oh, what a wonderful post! ;O) It's so wonderful that you've started these two "smaller" projects and it's extra fun to create two similar scenes with different colour schemes at the same time. Perhaps you remember... I did this once with 2 small houses in 1:48 turning them into Strawberry Hut and Flower Hut and I still like their different appearance. But of course there's no way comparing my modest small huts with these two shop projects which already look awesome. I like the brick work very much and also the fact that you're using what you have in your stash. And the elegant interior... ah, I can't wait to see more... and luckily I'm able to do this right away seeing the shops with the lights on.

    This is for sure a fun project and I hope you will be able to fill up your tanks to the fullest. I had to nod about what you said at the beginning although it's for different reasons as you know of course. But it's exactly what I also hope for... being able to fill my tanks again as I miss being creative and I know it would do me so good... but still... I'm not yet there again... but I'm working on it. Btw I would have needed no math to tell you that it's five years since February 2017... it was when my Dad died... and I had an extra hard time facing the 5th return of this terrible time now all by myself. That's why my tanks are emptier than ever and I'm far behind with everything... like for example writing e-mails to friends. But I'm working on that... ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Birgit! I am so happy to have you here with me as I dust off all my old ideas for these shops! It is such a relief to find enthusiasm and passion again, and I know when you have moved through the necessary stages of grief for your mom, you'll find yours again, too. Just keep hanging in there - there are happier days ahead of you!

    Being the first anniversary of your dad's passing without having the support of your mom there with you must have been such an overwhelmingly lonely feeling. I wish so much that I could have been there with you, just to let you know you are not alone. But you made it through, and though that does not diminish the loss in any way, you know that you are strong enough to face all of the upcoming firsts ahead of you. I have not yet experienced this level of grief, so I am the last one to give good advice, but because of the struggles I have faced over the past seven years, I will tell you that often it is not the desire that must come first, but the will to just start on something that must lead the way. I am here whether you are ready for full correspondence or just passing notes on the blog. You are ever in my thoughts and prayers, my friend!💗💗💗

    ReplyDelete