Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, March 23, 2023

Fits and Fittings

This week's mini time was spent continuing on with wall prep for the fairytale treehouse. First, I needed to finish the staircase on the first wall by adding a bottom step. You can see the wall diagram in my last post. I wanted the bottom step to run the length of the stairway so that the girls had a place to sit and take off their mud boots.


I thought it best that the step be made of similar looking rocks as the rest of the staircase. And I thought it might be fun to try carving them from balsa strip wood. I constructed a simple box (from scraps) to fit between the walls, then made a separate top so that it had a slight overhang. I used a pencil to draw the grout lines that defined the rock shapes, then used an Xacto blade and a small ball stylus to carve them into the balsa. 


After a test fit, I painted a base layer of gray, then tried to remember the colors and process I used to paint the staircase steps. It always leads to trouble when I paint different parts of the project so far apart, especially when I don't chronicle the process of how I did it! I'll share the finished step later in the post. It turned out pretty close!



Next, it was time to timber and stucco the the stairwell wall. I kept the design consistent with the second wall in relation to the first and second floors i.e. square frames for the first floor, angled framing for the second floor and a wainscoting style layout for the attic. I cut and glued the timbers, 1/8" x 1/4" basswood, then painted them with the same khaki color I used on most of the timbers.



I filled in between the timbers with Paperclay, then base painted and aged the edges the same as I'd done with the other walls, After I attached the first step to the stairwell wall, it was time for an exciting moment - the first dry fit of the first two walls! This is always a special moment - I finally get to see if what is making sense in my mind actually makes sense in the real world! 

I love how the walls seamlessly flow into one another, but the glaring issue I saw was the unfinished floor! I really needed to make a decision on the wood floor's finish and get it done. 


I decided to try using a product that I've had in my stash for a very long time. I last used it when I did a rain chain/barrel tutorial during the Three Pigs project. It's called Fred's Wood Weathering Stuff and is really great! I applied three coats to achieve the color/depth I liked, and then sealed it with satin varnish. This is exactly the treehouse floor look I had in mind!

Now it was time for another dry fit, but this time, with all the walls! Here are some views from the inside...




And here is the exterior...



You may have noticed that I also finished the timbers and stucco on the second and fourth walls' third floor wall sections. These will be seen in Wayne's third story apartment/workshop. He gets all the gables. Lucky for him he's short so the danger of him banging his head will be minimal!


Somehow, I managed to avoid doing most of the fourth wall's tasks again this week. That means I also avoided a good deal of its dizzying trim calculations! But now, out of excuses and other work, I'll have to face the music (did you know that one, Birgit?). The most challenging aspect will now be what do I affix when and in what order so that I still have great access to the wall but at the same time don't create an unforeseen issue in fitting this puzzle together. đŸ€Ș Hopefully, next week, I'll have a fourth wall with good progress and most of my hair in tact!

Speaking of fittings... The girls received a very special package all the way from Spain! Believe it or not, it arrived in less time from across the world than my other package did from Florida! Squealing the whole time, the girls stripped off their temporary garments, helped each other put on their dresses and were ready for photos in seconds! Now, they're fit for a tea party!



The dresses are incredibly well made, so wonderfully detailed and go on and off with ease! And they aren't swimming in extra bulk and material. They fasten in the back with a crochet loop that hooks over pearl buttons. Getting their arms through the sleeves was a pleasant experience. The best part of my purchase was that I got to connect with Celia. She is the owner of the Etsy shop ChMiniatures and is an incredibly talented mini seamstress and micro crochetier! Go see her amazing needlework and drool! It also turns out that she has followed my blog for years!

And so you don't think he's gotten lost in the forest, here is Wayne! He's still as naked as the day he was born, but surprisingly, not embarrassed at all! It must be great to have that kind of confidence!


Hope you're all finding time to enjoy the things that make you happy, like the first week of spring! To my "down under" friends who are dreading fall, remember, time flies!

xo xo,

Jodi

32 comments:

  1. I am so amazed how you 'puzzle' out each wall and then they all fit together. Such a fascinating technique, I hope to try on my next build (1:6 scale) that will be far in the future. This is so much fun to watch...love the girls, so sweet! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! There are benefits and drawbacks to both methods, but as my eyesight and ability to reach into a dollhouse and hold a position for a long period get less effective, working on flat walls gives me better results. I hope it works great for you on your upcoming (far in the future) build!

      Delete
  2. While the construction of the house is astonishing--I'm running out of adjectives here--, the girls are just the cutest. Their dresses are wonderful. While I sew, I could never make such little dresses. What fun you must be having. I was just looking at the New Orleans house--your body of work is just-----amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I am not talented when it comes to sewing anything - in fact, I get butterflies just thinking about it, lol! I'll stick with glue and leave the thread to others so inclined! I'm glad you enjoyed the New Orleans! I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to work on so many of my big ideas!

      Delete
  3. Todo lo que has hecho es encantador!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! ¡Me estoy divirtiendo mucho con esta casa del ĂĄrbol!

      Delete
  4. While I don't build miniatures, I do enjoy making dioramas for my dolls. I admire everything you create and find your blog full of inspiration. This latest project is awesome, and your attention to detail is amazing. Thank you for freely sharing your techniques, it has helped me in so ways.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind encouragement, X! Your dolls and dioramas are so adorable and I admire your blog, too! It makes me so happy to know that you find inspiration here. I hope all my readers leave here feeling confident to create their ideas and will experience the joy that crafting and minis give to me.

      Delete
  5. You’ve made really good progress! It looks more fairytale-like each week. All those gables look like a huge challenge, but I’m sure you have it all worked out in your head. The little dresses are adorable. It makes me wonder if Wayne needs at least a hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrill! Some of the parts go fast and others are real time takers, but I am enjoying each and every task! I know I have some tricky construction ahead of me as I fit things together and try to make a dollhouse look like a treehouse, but "one step at a time" is my mantra. The girls and I are trying to persuade Wayne that fashion can be fun. He did perk up a bit when I told him he could wear his tools if he had the right apron. 😉

      Delete
  6. Dear Jody
    Every all the steps are well made and look great together.
    I love the girls' new dresses. They look so cute together. Of course Wayne is not embarrassed. To tell the truth, if I had a beautiful fur like his all over me I too could go naked.
    BTW, if you didn't read my answer to your comment in my previous post, Your mysteriously missing comments have been found. Thanks so much for notifying me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I think the world would be a much nicer place if we saw with our hearts and not with our eyes. Just think - no shaving and way less laundry, lol! Wayne's fur is so handsome!
      I am catching up on comments today so I will get over and take a look at your posts. I am so glad the comments are there because it is important for me to tell you how much I enjoy your inspiring creativity! 💗

      Delete
  7. Hola Jodi!
    Me alegra mucho ver a tus chicas tan contentas, esa alegrĂ­a es mutua! đŸ„°. Tu trabajo es espectacular, como siempre. Gracias por compartirlo e inspirarnos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Celia! ¡A las chicas les encantan sus vestidos y pronto volveremos para comprar mĂĄs!

      Delete
  8. Great progress. The structure is amazing and the details perfect.
    The girls with new dresses are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! I am beginning to get impatient with all the construction - I have so many decorating ideas I want to try! 😁

      Delete
  9. Pues si Jodi , el tiempo vuela pero tus avances son geniales , las niñas con sus nuevos vestidos estån guapísimas. Feliz fin de semana .Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa MarĂ­a! El tiempo pasa muy rĂĄpido, ¡pero todo es agradable debido a la diversiĂłn que estoy teniendo con este proyecto!

      Delete
  10. This project is coming along so beautifully. I must admit, although I love the whole building, I do gravitate toward the natural coloured walls and trim - absolutely LOVE that section in particular. I also LOV those little dresses. Thank you for sharing the link to the artisan's site. I also LOVE finding new talented miniaturists to check out. I can't wait to see your next post - each one is even more amazing than the last - if that is possible! Big hugs! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! I really love the Tudor fairytale type walls, too! I can't believe it has taken so long to do a project in this style! Seeing the girls all dressed up feels wonderful - it can be so difficult to find good fitting and cute clothing for dolls. I really would like to get them some play clothes, too, something with pants so they can climb trees more easily. Celia makes gorgeous linens, as well - I hope you get yourself a nice gift!

      Delete
  11. Oh its so pretty! I love how it looks and the girls are darling in their new dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! They remind me of the Easter dresses we used to wear when I was growing up!

      Delete
  12. Hi Jodi! It is amazing to see how quickly your walls are coming together! And it does help enormously to see just How they all go together! It is a complicated design with all the bump-outs and bay windows and those stairs are going to be awesome when done! I can just see the "landing" as a little balcony over the living area as the stairs spiral upward! And those new dresses for the girls are perfect! Storybook frocks for sure!!! And how fortuitous that she has been a follower of your blog ! :):) (You didn't have to explain a thing!) Hmmmm.... now I'm wondering why you don't have any Bears.... ? Shouldn't there be a family of them living in the trunk of that big old tree??? Sorry... I don't mean to be intruding on your storybook! I just am enjoying your creativity so so much!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! It is wonderful beyond words to share creativity with kindred spirits! Half the battle is coming up with an idea of what to do. Then, it's off to the races! I am glad that the photos are helping to make sense of the kit - sometimes it is hard to put yourself in the mind of the reader and know what to share so it makes sense to them. I have great ideas for the stairs - I really hope I can figure out how to make the idea work out! đŸ€Ș
      Speaking of bears... I mentioned to a very talented person we both know that the girls really need a Fairy Beary God Mother around to keep an eye on them But it's a big job and I am not sure said talented person is taking commission work any longer. We'll have to see if it's in the stars. If not, we may rent the future stump apartment to Norm The Gnome.😜

      Delete
  13. Jodi, everything is looking amazing! I still can't get over how great those stained glass windows turned out. I'll have to remember about the wood weathering stuff for future use. How do you know what size to make your stones? I'm afraid of making mine to big or not big enough. Your work is so beautifully made. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iris! Yes those pens are great to work with! I imagine they'd look even better if used where there is a raised enclosure to color them into, such as in the stained glass windows with patterns outlined in lead golf tape or dried liquid lead lines from Gallery Glass. The hardest part is keeping the liquid where you want it, lol! As for stone sizes, there are a lot of factors: scale of project, realism of project (are you doing a fantasy or reality build) and impact. Stones are all over the place in terms of size in real life, so it depends on what you are wanting to replicate. I'd find an inspiration photo, compare the stones to something standard in the photo (like a book) to estimate the size, then do a 1/12th conversion. In case you don't have these resources yet...

      Scale Conversion Calculator

      https://www.printmini.com/calc.html

      Imperial to Decimal Chart

      http://www.hamuniverse.com/antfrac.html

      Most important is... Do your best but don't be too critical of your work. It is really hard to achieve excellent results, and criticism takes the joy right out of the fun. Often, the accidents are happy, and turn out to give your project the best character. Think Bob Ross. 😊

      Delete
  14. Los avances se ven fantĂĄsticos.
    Tanto la escalera como la chimenea ajustan perfectamente en sus lugares.
    Este proyecto va muy rĂĄpido, que bien.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Mariana! Creo que porque hice la escalera justo antes de las vacaciones, luego el resto tres meses despuĂ©s, veo un poco de desconexiĂłn en la direcciĂłn de la escalera hacia las otras paredes. Con suerte, puedo esparcir suficiente de la mezcla a lo largo del proyecto para que termine pareciendo intencional. 😜

      Delete
  15. Me encanta ver como poco a poco vas progresando y todo va encajando a la perfecciĂłn. Sin duda estĂĄs construyendo una casa fantĂĄstica. Las nenas estĂĄn preciosas con sus nuevas galas. Un beso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Matxalen! Siempre disfruto esta parte del proyecto cuando puedes ver si tu visiĂłn y sentimiento estĂĄn cobrando vida. Es importante para mĂ­ dar tanto amor y atenciĂłn a los elementos de fondo como a los muebles y accesorios que vienen mucho mĂĄs tarde. Entonces, mire donde mire, puedo sentirme orgulloso de mi esfuerzo. Supongo que estas construcciones son como dar a luz y criar niños, ¡jajaja!

      Delete
  16. Oh what a wonderful post! ;O) I've enjoyed so much to see how all of this is developing and to get a good glimpse into the future when all of this will finally come together. It's one thing to admire the single walls or the fireplace but seeing them in their dedicated places is another. And I'm in love with that wood stain, the floor looks drop-dead-beautiful and just perfect for your fantasy tree house. And speaking of drop-dead-beautiful... the girls look sooooooo pretty. Wonderful dresses... and what fun that the maker was a follower of your blog. Life writes the best stories! And before I forget to mention it... the idea with the extra first step is ingenious. It looks so much better with this step beginning before the walls.

    And for a change I knew that expression - but thanks for the extra service for us foreign readers. *LOL* Btw - we have a musical expression which would go (in my poor translation) "HERE is where the music plays". It means somehow "Attention - eyes on me OR ELSE..." *grin*

    I saw the little dialogue between you and Betsy and I didn't forget your occasional hint about how lovely it would be to have a fairy beary godmother keeping an eye or two over the girls and Wayne. The truth is I'm not sure if my finger arthrosis will allow me to hold my needle still as I did not try it for a long time. I'll have a talk with my creativity and my finger knots to see if they are willing to cooperate but I can't promise anything... except that I'll let you know. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit (who is more than ever concerned that every camera loves Wayne... *smile*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! I am glad you like how the treehouse is coming along! The floor stain reminds me of the finish I got when I made the steel wool and vinegar stain way back in 2015, but this Fred's stuff smells better, lol!

      I love that saying and I'll have to let Tasha know so she can find a situation to use it in when she goes to Germany! It looks like she is definitely going now because she is at 104% of her sales goal for the year and still has six months left!

      Please do not worry about trying to sew a fairy beary godmother for me - I did not realize you were having so much trouble with your arthritis. That must be so painful! I am sure someone will come along before the end of the project to keep an eye (or two) on these girls! Hopefully, if I can make the apartment nice enough, there will be several applicants to choose from, lol!

      And Wayne, that rascal... I've got some news coming up soon about him. Once it's ready, he'll be making another cameo appearance!

      Delete