Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

At Last...

Hi Guys! I know it's been a long while, but I'm back to the craft table! I was beginning to worry I might not ever find my motivation again! First, the onset of holidays, then a bout with the nasty RSV bug, then more holidays and finally Russ being home for the majority of the last three months. It was all so counter to creativity! Finally, I just remembered where I'd left off, what the next step in the fairytale treehouse project was supposed to be, and I got busy. Thinking can be the death of creativity for me, so ignoring the "shoulds" is the only path back to my table...

Before the bug struck, I had been working on stairs for the left wall tower. I didn't have much of a plan but that is the plan for this project. I want to allow my imagination to wonder and figure out solutions as problems arise. That seems like the best way to have the most fun with this fantasy genre. So, without much measuring and only using my eyecrometer, I cut up some 3/16" foam core to create a circular staircase. I carved in some stones, added a base coat of paint and applied some glue veining because I thought it might look neat. Then I sponged and pounced on various paint colors until it looked like a staircase that belonged in a forest fairytale treehouse. And that's all for the staircase until I get a better idea of how its going to function in the treehouse...








I cut the opening for the staircase tower... At Last! The scroll saw noise sent Woodson under the bed! Guess we're going to have to work on his tolerance all over again. Poor guy!


And like usually happens when I just stop thinking and get to work, more progress happened! I took the pop out window from the kit that was meant for the left wall (but got nixed in favor of the stair tower), reconfigured it a bit, made an opening for it in the right wall and it will become a sleeping loft upstairs for one of the girls.

Window seat from kit meant for the left wall.

Traced onto the second floor of the right wall.

Another opening to cut - poor Woodson!

Test fit.

Side view to see the protrusion.

Below the bedroom will be a kitchen for the girls. Goldie is working on a porridge cookbook and will need to test recipes! I thought it might be nice to have a little light coming into the room from outside, so I made a pop out window for above the sink. I repurposed the tall foundation pieces that I omitted from the kit. Woodson doesn't like the noise from the mini table saw any better than he does the scroll saw. You should see him take off when I release the steam on the Instant Pot! Poor Wubby!!!

Simple lean-to type pop out design.

Now this wall is much more interesting!

Profile view.

The last wall to get a bit of a pop out feature is the second floor window of the front wall. It didn't need much, just a little elevation change to add some detail and interest. This was a little more complicated than the other two windows because I had to figure out how to remake the arched window into a pop out, how to create an arched roof and how to keep it from interfering with the gable trim to come.

Here is how the original kit it configured...

Opening window.

And here is the wall with the pop out mock up. I used illustration art board for the arched roof, sliced at intervals to make the curve. It protudes only 5/8" - just enough to add a little charm.


Profile view.

So, it looks like I am back on a roll! Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the momentum going! But first...

Some of you receive my posts in email form. I have used MailChimp's free service for my 1,500 email subscribers since Blogger stopped sending them in 2021. After March 10th, it won't be free any longer. I know $13 - $20 per month ($156 - $240 per year) for their service doesn't sound like too much, but for someone who doesn't make money from her hobby, it's a lot of mini supplies I could be buying each year. I'll be looking for other free alternatives and hopefully, I'll find one and be able to continue sending the emails. More info to come...

Also, I wanted to share the wonderful treasures that Birgit (BiWuBären on the Blog) sent for Christmas! In addition to yummy marzipan and chocolates, she sent a 2023 calendar featuring photos she took of her amazing garden. Each photo features her adorable handmade BiWu Bears Flubby and Rosey. It brings such joy each time I look up and see it on my desk! She also included a handy closable storage/lunch box, a kit to make a palm plant (yippee!) and the best gift ever - Bottled Sunshine!!! Boy do I need that!!! These are tiny marvels of the biggest kind!  Thanks to Birgit and all the gang! It is thrilling to receive such love, thoughtfulness and kindness all the way from Germany! 🥰💗🤗



Hope you are all feeling mini motivated and having fun!

xo xo,

Jodi

32 comments:

  1. So glad to see you back. RSV? So sorry that you had to endure that, of all things. I am loving the tree house and really didn't know what the original kit looked like. The house is adorable and you will make it even more so. As for the saw noise--I get scolded by the dog/boss, too. Only he howls at me from upstairs. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad to be back! The Linfield kit really is an adorably detailed one and it is so much fun to take it even farther. The puppies really do rule our lives and we love them so much! We'll keep working with Wubby (Woodson) to help him cope with his fears.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jodi. Great to see you moving along now. I am afraid I haven’t had any mini mojo lately either, but it’s good to take a break occasionally, especially when you can come back to your minis and feel refreshed and inspired. It’s really working for the tree house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon! I did enjoy filling my days up with other endeavors but its very fulfilling to get back to creativity and glue again! I hope whatever you are doing it is filling up your soul!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jodi! I'm glad that you're feeling better! There's nothing like minis for therapy! :D
    While I don't have a dog, I sometimes watch my neighbor's puppy - he doesn't seem to mind the noise but he loves chewing on scraps of wood - yikes!
    Your tree house is looking wonderful, especially the stairs and the window! Tell Alice and Goldie hi from me!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! Minis are definitely a salve for my soul!
      Dogs are just fascinating characters, aren't they? I like to imagine their perspective living in a world of giants and giant things. It reminds me how brave and trusting they are, and makes me extra patient!
      Glad you like the treehouse process! I am having fun imagining all the things I can do to make it even more captivating!

      Delete
  4. It’s so nice to see you back at your craft table. It sure doesn’t take you long to get those creative juices flowing. I just love the pop outs on the façade. They are key to the fairy tale aura. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrill! I have missed this kind of creativity so much! I am having a lot of fun imagining what would thrill Goldie and Alice. I just hope I can find ways to make the features as good as the ideas!

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you back, your tower looks great, it's sure to be very pretty, and the windows so brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonda! It is wonderful to be back to this passion again and after having been pulled away involuntarily, a deeper appreciation is felt!

      Delete
  6. Me encanta que estés de nuevo y ver el desarrollo de tus escenas; es un espectáculo. Geniales las escaleras y las ventas. Feliz fin de semana:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa María! ¡He echado de menos minis y conectarme con todos mis compañeros entusiastas! ¡Espero que sigas disfrutando viendo cómo se desarrolla este proyecto! ¡Nos estamos acercando a las partes realmente buenas!

      Delete
  7. Glad to see you back.The staircase tower is wonderful. And nice gifts from our dear friend Birgit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! The bottles of sunshine are off the adorable scale aren't they? Birgit is so inspiringly creative, thoughtful and generous! I hope she feels back all the love that she spreads to all of us!

      Delete
  8. Las escaleras encajan a la perfección en el hueco y me encantan las ventanas, son totalmente de cuento.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! ¡Me estoy divirtiendo mucho tratando de capturar los elementos del cuento de hadas en este proyecto! ¡Es genial intentar hacer lo que siempre te ha gustado ver!

      Delete
  9. Thanks Millimari! Stairs are often such space hogs and it is tempting to leave them out, but I also get so much satisfaction from solving the puzzle of them that I keep trying! There are so many beautiful things about stairs to try and capture in mini!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "At last"... here I am - to say in full conviction: I'm glad you got your motivation back! Otherwise I wouldn't have the pleasure of enjoying your newest work to the fullest! ;O) The staircase with its stonework turned out awesome... and the tower is developing to drop-dead-beautiful.

    And wow, this is great news - Goldie is about to write a book! I suppose it will be something like "1001 porridge dreams for bears and bear lovers". And who knows, maybe she can add a drop of sunshine in her pot every now and then... or give it to poor Woodson. I hope he learns to cope with the sounds of your machine park soon... ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! I am glad that you like the staircase! It has been a lot of fun to make!
      Yes, Goldie is determined that you shouldn't have to taste two terrible porridges before you get to taste one that is "Just Right". It will be interesting to watch her experiment, but I hope she does not ask me to be her taster, lol!
      Oh Wubby! Poor guy! He acts so tough, lying in the window seat all day, barking at the neighborhood kids through the window! But as soon as the Ninja Smoothie Maker, or any other electrical machine comes out of the cupboard, he runs up the stairs like furry lightning! The only way to coax him back down is to tell him the Amazon guy is here with his package, lol!

      Delete
  11. Hi Jodi,
    So good to have you back. What is Blogland without you!
    The staircase it stunning! I love how the tower already looks beautiful.
    Would ear-plugs for poor Woodson stop his fear?
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks, Drora! I super miss everyone too, when life and trials keep me away! I'm so glad you like how the staircase is coming! It has been so much fun to imagine ways to come up with things for this project!
      Woodson loves to get his colorful scarfs from the groomer and prance around as we tell him how handsome he is, but to put anything else on him is just embarrassing for him, lol! I wish he'd listen to reason!

      Delete
  12. Yayyyy!!! Jodi is back.... it must be almost spring! Lol! All joking aside, Jodi, I am very happy to visit here and see your projects under way again!!! The Alice and Goldie House is coming along beautifully! I love all the "pop-out" nooks and window seats you are adding (As I am sure you know, I love that look!" :)) I have been "engineering in my mind" how to improve a couple of the bump-outs in the Dollmaker's Studio project.... so I will be watching carefully! I am at the moment wrestling with more spiral stairs myself! :):) Keep up the great work, and I too, feel sorry for Woodson... my cat is the same way... there is no cure but hiding from the monster noise :(.
    And I don't suppose there will be a lot of white rabbits and little bears wandering in those woods???? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is almost spring and can it be that time is going even faster than it was before??? My head is spinning!!!
      It is so good to be back to creating, I can't even express how much! It is all I want to do!!! I swoon over pop outs, too, Betsy, and I think we are kindred souls with they kinds of dollhouses we dream of creating! I just wish I was as talented an artisan as you!!! I hope you find something that sparks ideas for the Dollmaker's Studio, though I know you have many, many amazing ideas to share with us as you have time to work toward them!
      Our poor babies!!! The world is a noisy and scary place when you live among giants, and all we can do is fill up their love tanks when we finally talk them out of their hiding places, lol!
      Oh I hope I can fill up this project with all sorts of forest creatures, and am only limited by little things like my talent to make them or my restrictive budget! If I could fly free with my ideas, I can only imagine what my projects would become!

      Delete
  13. Darn that Anonymous Demon! In my enthusiasm, I forgot to sign it! Yes, that was me, Betsy, in the above comment! :):):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was you right away! Your kindness and encouragement are impossible to disguise! 💗💗💗

      Delete
  14. Esas escaleras son fantásticas y la torre se ve genial con ellas.
    Es maravilloso tenerte de vuelta. Contigo aprendemos siempre cosas nuevas y originales.
    Pobre Woodson, los tapones para sus oidos parece ser una solución obligada.
    Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Mariana! Me alegra mucho que te guste cómo va el proyecto, ¡y es maravilloso estar de vuelta en mi lugar favorito con mis personas favoritas nuevamente! ¡Woodson necesita tapones para los oídos! Si tan solo escuchara mi consejo, jajaja!

      Delete
  15. Qué estupendo que hayas vuelto al trabajo. La escalera ha quedado genial y esa ventana se ve preciosa, siempre me ha gustado la fantasía, seguro que quedará maravilloso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias por los ánimos, Matxalen! Me alegra que te guste como va el proyecto. Esta es mi primera vez con este género de cuentos de hadas, y tengo que evitar caer en viejos hábitos con él. Crucemos los dedos, seguiré recordando no hacer eso, jajaja!

      Delete
  16. Jodi, so good to see you back! I was beginning to get worried...but I know Life Happens and sometimes we just need a bit of a break. I love the tree house so far- you have a wild imagination!! Thank you for showing us the details of your thought processes and how you work things out. I'm sure it is an extra effort to photograph all of these steps, but it is much appreciated and very helpful to those of us that aren't quite as creative :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! The desire is always there but real life doesn't always support that, lol! I know how much our amazing community inspires and encourages me and I hope that by sharing I can do the same! 💗

      Delete
  17. Jodi,estoy tan desconectada de todo al no estar en casa y teniendo que mirar todo desde el teléfono móvil (cosa que odio) que me había perdido esta entrada en tu blog! Me encanta como te han quedado las escaleras,son fantásticas y tan de "casa de árbol"
    No sabía cómo era el kit original que vas a transformar,por lo que me ha gustado verlo,así seré más consciente de la transformación!
    Me voy ahora mismo a ver tu post más reciente.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete