Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Tuesday, November 22, 2022

She Had A Dream...

As you may have noticed, I haven't posted in a while - November 1st seems like such a long time ago! But once I was finished with all the 3D printed kitchen stuff, I had to take a breather. I got my craft space ready for mini work again, and I began to think about what I'd like to do next. Finishing the Willowcrest kitchen seemed like the obvious choice (it's the project that sparked the 3D kitchen accessories to begin with), but I just couldn't muster any motivation to get going on it. In the meantime, I was contacted with a request to design and create a couple architectural elements for a very special project that had been waiting in someone's basement for a very long time.


You may remember my customer, Diana, from my doing her Breakfast At Tiffany's brownstone windows and door replicas last year. One of the projects she's been dreaming about since the 90's is recreating the historically significant Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery Alabama. Back then she purchased the Real Good Toys Country Church Kit at a miniatures show to house it in. Then she had custom stained glass windows made by a miniature stained glass artisan. But, like for many of us mini dreamers, other projects moved ahead in line and there the kit sat, waiting for its turn. The project was never truly forgotten. Diana collected a whole lot of lovely resin sitting folks all decked out in their Sunday best to add to the congregation over the years. When she saw the project on it's basement shelf a few months ago while looking for something else, these patient people reignited her inspiration!



What Diana wanted me to tackle was the elaborate carved doorway behind the pulpit, as well as the lattice panel behind the organ area. It was challenging, as the only details I had to go by were the limited photos found on the web. The proportions and measurements had to be estimated. Additionally, Diana only had 10" of  ceiling height (minus the height of her crown molding), and I estimated the doorway in the original church to be about 18 feet tall! I would need to find a way to pay homage to the original within the height limitations, while still balancing the proportions and ending up with something that was worthy of being a focal point in her project.




Challenge accepted! Diana and I traded ideas back and forth on three slightly different models before we both agreed the version below was perfect! It kept the proportions balanced, included as many of the carved details as space would allow, and finished up at 9-7/16" tall by 6-13/16" wide. 

I got to experiment with creating dental molding and fluted columns for the first time with this doorway, and I had so much fun figuring it out!



I am so fortunate that Tasha and Ande gifted me the bigger 3D printer for my birthday last year! My first printer would not have been able to accommodate this big job, other than in pieces needing to be assembled post production.


I think the doorway is so pretty, and I just love how the dental molding, fluted columns and corbels turned out! 



The lattice piece was pretty challenging, too. In scrutinizing the church photos online, I realized that it was created in three panels. The middle panel is slightly shorter which allows room for the wood molding of the lower organ area. It is installed in a raised position on top of and joining the other two panels. The lattice detail itself is done in four levels, not including the main frame and the stepped picture frame molding on top of that. It was a challenge not only to create, but to figure out how to engineer it for a successful print. I felt that eliminating the half circles in the homage version gives the piece more balance and accommodates better the measurements that Diana had to work with.



Level detail close up.



It was such an honor to be trusted with this piece of the job and to help Diana realize her longtime dream!

In other exciting news, I have been busy rediscovering cooking joy with our new Instant Pot! Even Russ has joined in the culinary delight around here! This is all thanks to our big hearted and generous son, Ande! He uses my Prime membership from time to time, and if I leave stuff in my cart and he sees it, he likes to surprise me with it! 💗 This time, it was the Instant pot and accessories I was considering. What a great kid we made!!! He and Lex and Tasha and Brent love theirs, too!





We have run out of fingers and toes counting our blessings, among them, going to Tasha and Brent's new home for their first Thanksgiving there! I hope each of you has more to be thankful for than digits, too!

Happy Thanksgiving!

xo xo,

Jodi

37 comments:

  1. Churches in miniature are a rarity and so when I saw that this post was going to feature one I was immediately intrigued! I have to say that the congregation of little folks sitting so expectantly in their Sunday Best, reminds me very much of the RL congregants of Mt. Zion Baptist church where my great-grandmother attended- very familiar.
    I LOVE the architecture that you've produced for Diana's church commission Jodi and all I can say regarding what you've achieved is WOW!
    You are so adept at being able to translates a person's dream and make it their reality that I can see that the commissions will soon be flooding in and the next thing you know- you're in the business- Hallelujah! 😄

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I'm happy that Diana's little folks sparked a nice memory for you about your great-grandmother's church! You don't see many mini churches and that is a shame because there is so much potential architecturally in them! I am so happy to have had the opportunity to recreate the elements in the Dexter Avenue church, as it has expanded possibilities of what can be achieved in a simple, free software like Tinkercad! Hallelujah is right! Look what can happen if we only take a leap of faith and say YES!

      Delete
  2. What a special project. It takes real talent to know what details to include and which to skip. You and Diana both nailed it. I love her vision and your ability with TinkerCad and your 3D printer continues to astound me. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrill! I don't feel comfortable taking credit for having talent, lol! Just the right amount of fascination, determination, willingness to keep trying ideas and a fun, free software! You know - once you start training your mind to see things as shapes, the possibilities explode!

      Delete
  3. Such an accomplishment. I am quite sure that more such projects will come your way.There must be fine line between creating an exact replication of a structure and doing your best to create an accurate interpretation of the structure. I'd say that you nailed it with your eye for detail and an ability to turn that inspiration into a treasured piece. Diane knew who to turn to get her wonderful project finished. As for the Insta Pot. My daughter has been after me to get me. I've just recently discovered cooking bean for real and not pouring them out of can and she swears by her cooker.More good things coming from your home. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! It was fun, and by that I mean moments where you ask yourself whether the frustration is worth it and then breakthroughs where you float on cloud 9. In the end, all you remember is the fun! 😊
      It is very challenging to design something that can't be a true replica because of space limitations. Then you have to figure out ways to fool the eye into thinking it is a replica and hope no one notices it isn't exact until you tell them, lol! Like all things in life, where there is challenge, there is growth. You only have to be willing to embrace it.

      The one regret Russ and I have about our Instant Pot is that we did not get the 8qt instead of the 6 qt. We like leftovers because we are both so busy and don't want to have to cook every night, but the 6qt just isn't big enough for some meals to make leftovers. We agreed last night to get an 8qt, too, because we think we'd use both and even at the same time for family gatherings! Hope you find the right one for you guys!

      Delete
  4. Well, if somebody could have tackled this challenge, that was you Jodi, of course! Great results. I bet Diana is very please, her project is a very special one. Do not say that you are not posting often, I think you are posting more often than most, it has been very quiet around bloggerland. I include myself. Well, let´s not worry, maybe things will get more eventful soon. In the meantime I want to wish you a very happy Thanksgiving, I wish you to have the best time with your wonderful children and family, xxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! Diana was so happy and it makes me feel so great that I could help her realize her longtime dream! Blogland was exceptionally quiet all summer and then through the fall, so far. And Facebook seems to be a ghost town, too. Instagram seems busier than ever, so I guess the world is just going through another shift of how we connect and share. I still love the blog world because there is much richer information you can share and a more intimate connection to one another. I hope everyone will come back again! We had a wonderful Thanksgiving at Tasha's - great food, lots of hugging and catching up with friends and family we see far too rarely!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful project the church is also very beautiful and then those little nice dolls, wow.
    You did a great job with the doorway and the lattice piece! Yes I also have a lot to be very grateful for, I am grateful that I can do so much and that I am healthy that is worth a lot. I wish you and your family a happy thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful project, isn't it, Gonda! I am so happy that Diana shared it with me, and I just love all those detailed folks! They bring the scene alive!
      I am so glad that you have so much to be grateful for, too, and as we get older, the importance and blessing of good health becomes more and more clear. It is fundamental to us living great and achieving all the dreams we still pursue with our wise and patient minds!

      Delete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving...great people make great kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! Love, as in the verb, was the secret! 💗

      Delete
  7. Que proyecto tan desafiante Jodi, pero que placer haber creado las piezas perfectas y que cumplan el sueño de Diana, habéis sido muy afortunadas las dos, bravo!!
    Divertiros y cocinar mucho con vuestro nuevo robot de cocina!
    Y sobre todo disfrutar vuestro dĂ­a de AcciĂłn de Gracias en familia!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. ¡Gracias Pilar! ¡Fue una oportunidad tan maravillosa! En cuanto a nuestro robot de cocina, anoche hicimos lomo de cerdo con boniatos y estaba increĂ­ble!!! ¡Tan fĂĄcil y deliciosamente rĂĄpido! 😋

      Delete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving, Jodi! The church is very wonderful and so are all of the dolls! Your 3d job is fantastic, Diana will be absolutely thrilled! And I love the archway you designed - it's splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! It was wonderful to experiment with how to create the individual elements and then put them together to recreate the doorway! It sparks so many great ideas for future architectural features and now all I have to overcome is the fact that there just aren't enough hours in a day, lol!

      Delete
  9. I love the doorway and the lattice is gorgeous. I hope she sends you pictures once they're installed! Your InstaPot looks like it'll be very handy! You have great kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! Me too! I can't wait to see the windows installed and the ceiling she has planned! I will definitely share the updates that she sends me!
      All the love, lectures, and driving really paid off, lol! We do have amazing kids who have grown into gifts for us and the world! 💗

      Delete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving Jodi! I hope you and your family have a wonderful celebration!
    The Church door project you have embarked on is amazing! You and your machinery are a great team! LOL! I love the church! I am so glad Diana is finally able to realize one of her Dreams! I know what it feels like to have a project sitting in the wings for a long time whispering to you! It is so great that you are able to help make her Dreams come true! Well done!
    And Thanks for being such a wonderful and supportive blogger! It means a lot to me! I know I have fallen behind on my blog with answering comments... but the technical problems of waiting for everything to load properly... my laziness.... and a too busy schedule leaves me little time to work on it. You are an inspiration and a model to admire! Keep up the great work! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! Thanksgiving was wonderful in so many ways! Great food, getting to squeeze family and friends and to catch up on everyone's lives! At times, the holidays can feel like a massive disruption, but by the end of the night, we are always so happy to have been forced into the ritual! 💗

      I'm so happy you like Diana's church project and the pieces that I got to work on! It was something I'd never gotten to attempt before, and even let me test the size limitations of the new printer! Seeing others getting their opportunity to finally start on a longtime dream gives us hope, doesn't it!

      Betsy I truly admire your creativity and talent so much! It is an honor to follow your blog and to express the joy I feel by seeing your progress! There is such a high caliber of truly kind and lovely people in our mini world, that when a person does not leave replies to comments, you just know there is good reason for it. Don't change one thing - you are perfect!đŸ€—đŸ’—

      Delete
  11. Diana's church project is awesome and it's wonderful how you're helping her to realize her dream. The doorway and lattice are simply perfect.
    I hope you had a great Thanksgiving day with your great kids. The food in the InstaPot looks delicious.
    Your wonderful blog and posts are one of my most pleasant readings.
    Hugs, Drora
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! It makes me feel so good to have been asked to help on Diana's church! And I just love seeing a fellow enthusiasts dreams coming to life!

      We had an incredible Thanksgiving and left with both our bellies and our hearts full! And plans for an even better Christmas gathering! 💗

      Thank you so much for your kind encouragement about the blog! This mini passion is so enriched by the people in it, and I count you among the tippy top of the best of them! Hugs! 💗

      Delete
  12. El proyecto es todo un reto, pero seguro que saldrĂĄ a la perfecciĂłn !!!!!
    Espero ver nuevos avances en breve.
    Que bien cocinar en familia !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias EloĂ­sa! ¡Definitivamente compartirĂ© actualizaciones a medida que Diana progrese! ¡Fue una sorpresa tan agradable que me pidieran que creara las piezas para su sueño!

      Delete
  13. You and Diana are going to do a good job with the church project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! I am so happy to have played a small role in making Diana's wonderful dream come true!

      Delete
  14. Jodi, I wish you and your family have had a great Thanksgiving together! The food sure looks delicious!

    It is lovely to see the elements you have made to help your friend Diana. And what a lovely church this will be! those dolls are magnificent. I can imagine the three gents dressed in white being the husbands of the pious ladies in the bench up front, close to the organ and the reverend. :-)

    The elements you have made will help give the interior of this chapel that special sparkle it deserves. Churches and chapels are indeed not often subjects for miniature rooms, that makes these extra special.

    On a side note, funily enough I am working on religious themed mini's as well. I am experimenting a bit with a miniature reliquary at the moment. Destined for a future private chapel for my big mini house.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Huibrecht! It is so much fun to work on something "different"! Thanksgiving was wonderful - it was great to see people and catch up, and doing clean up rather than cooking was a pleasant change!
      I am super excited to see your religious themed minis - you always come up with the most clever way to turn ordinary craft elements into extraordinary treasures!

      Delete
    2. I hope that I will not disappoint your expectations! During the Christmas holiday I hope to find some time to finish the reliquary that I am making. I will show you the result early in the new year.

      The relic in question to house in the reliquarium is the "Tibia bone of saint Odilius" an imaginary Saint. I hope you will like it.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  15. El trabajo de la iglesia es fantĂĄstico.
    AsĂ­ descansas de tanto artĂ­culo para la cocina.
    Feliz AcciĂłn de Gracias con un poco de atraso.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Mariana! ¡Me alegra que te gusten las piezas de la iglesia! Fue un cambio agradable trabajar en la computadora en lugar de lijar y pintar, ¡jejeje! ¡El DĂ­a de AcciĂłn de Gracias fue un dĂ­a lleno de maravillosos recuerdos nuevos!

      Delete
  16. What a fun project you got to work on with the church! Love that your son gifts you with whatever you leave in your cart! That is awesome!!! Hope you had a fabulous holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, this must be a *ehem* personal best... in being late with commenting of course. 3 posts!!! I missed 3 of your posts... but wait... did I just say I missed them? No, never... I won't miss anything - I'm only late to enjoy them. *phewey*

    What a very special project - and Diana came to the right person to help her make her dream come true. You did a wonderful job with the architectural features of this special church. And apart of your helping pieces I was in awe with the figurines, so much character and expression.

    And congrats on your newest "toy" - what a wonderful gift. My, your "machine park" grows and grows... ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Birgit! It is always a pleasure to see a comment from you, especially when I know how busy you are this time of year!!! It really was a fun challenge, and I am happy that the wise lady inside me said YES while the tired, doubtful, timid one was hoping I'd pass. :O)

      Delete
  18. Bonito proyecto. Las piezas que has creado son perfectas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! ¡Es maravilloso poder crear tal variedad de ideas con esta impresora 3D!

      Delete