Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, October 21, 2021

A Breakfast At Tiffany's Happy Ending!

This past week I was able to focus on the last few tasks for the Breakfast At Tiffany's custom order. The big job, creating a door based on the brownstone's, was challenging! You see, the dollhouse kit's door openings are much slimmer, and instead of a copy of the original basement door, the client wanted both doors to match. Here's the comparison photo to refresh your memory:

Client's Park Avenue Kit Left, BAT house right.

I had to try to capture the detail and feel of the door in a much more compact design. The main BAT door has two windows on top. The client said she could live without them, but I was determined to try and make that feature a reality for her. Since she wanted to paint the doors herself, this created another challenge because I had to make the glass removable. I cut the doors from 2 mm chipboard, two outer layers and an inner core, with the Maker. This allowed me to create a recess for the glass to slide into. This sequence of photos shows how the window feature will function:

Lexan and trim piece cut to size.

Slide Lexan into recess.

Lexan seated into cavity.

Insert top trim piece.

A pin hinge has to fit here, too. Tight!

I created the door parts in Tinkercad, then 3D printed detail molding pieces to fit into the chipboard recesses. Here are the doors with the detail molding glued in, dry fit into the door frames and with the two different pediment options. I included both pediment options for the client to choose from once she's seen a live dry fit. The basement door does not have windows per the client's request. I also added the same 1/16" x 1/4" trim detail onto the door frame to match the window frames. This is to try to recreate the stepped depth look of the original facade details. I think she could even add an additional 1/16" x 1/8" piece on top of all of the frames to even further the effect.



If you remember, the client had sent me both doors and their frames from the kit so that I would have exact measurements. This was great so that once I made the new doors, I could actually mount the doors into the frames. After priming, sanding and drilling holes for the pin hinges, I mounted them. The client asked that the doors open from the left instead of the right, so I changed the hinge pin holes on the door frames, as well.

Basement door front and back

Main door front and back

Doors Opened. The chipboard has been rounded off so it does not get hung up on the frame.

The client thought, after seeing the fancier large window pediment, maybe she'd want the large window above the entry to match all seven of the other slim windows. I printed a simple rounded pediment and sent both so that she could choose her favorite once she'd seen them both in person.

Large window with fancier pediment, with simpler pediment and slim window.

I was surprised that the door portion of the project went so well and so quickly! Because of that, I was able to get final approval from the client, get paid and ship her package well before the one month time frame that I quoted to her! Here's a collage of the final order, though I included a lot of extra architectural elements (not pictured) for fun.


I can't emphasize enough what an amazing opportunity this was! I was challenged in many new ways, learned so much about the possibilities of my tools and myself, and was able to help a fellow miniaturist fulfill a dream! It just doesn't get any better than that!

Now that this fun distraction is finished, I'm looking forward to getting back to the Beachside Bungalow's kitchen. Hopefully, I'll have some progress to share with you next week!

xo xo,

Jodi

26 comments:

  1. Your work is phenomenal. Your client must be quite pleased with the results. You have dedicated so much time to this project, which will make the finished house a work of art and quite special. I hope we get to see photos of the finished BAT. You have me convinced to use chipboard. I used it to cut out my prototypes and practice pieces and they went together so nicely--actually better than wood. And thank you for your encouraging comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I sure hope we get to see photos, too! It's going to be such a neat project! I am glad to hear that the chipboard prototypes worked out well for you! I am so excited to see all your ideas for the Manchester!

      Delete
  2. The results of this most interesting challenge are stunning. I, too hope to see photos of the finished house. Thank you for sharing all the steps of your work which is absolutely fantastic.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I am really hoping for photos, too! I am so glad to know you found the process interesting! It's so much more fun to share the events in our mini lives with fellow enthusiasts!

      Delete
  3. My word Jodi, there have been some challenges there. All, of course, solved brilliantly by you. One very lucky lady who will be receiving these. I once did an homage to Chocolat, the movie, and know just how pleasing it is if you can capture the feel of the place and you have done this in spades for your client. It has also been a supremely interesting journey for me to follow. I thank you for the sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! I am so happy you found this project interesting, too! It's just great to wake up and work on an idea you've come up with while falling asleep, right?!? I'm so glad I was able to figure out a solution for this customer, and hope she absolutely loves everything!

      Delete
  4. Jodi, me gusta más tu casa que la original.
    Bravo !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Eloisa! Es muy divertido idear formas de aprovechar al máximo un kit, ¿no es así?

      Delete
  5. What an exciting and informative journey you have taken us on! Thanks so much for the detailed descriptions of the process. Clearly with your help, the possibilities with the new technologies are endless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrill! I hope you feel inspired to take the 3D plunge, yourself! With how you embrace technology and challenges, your ideas will be phenomenal!

      Delete
  6. The results of this challenge are fantastic. I wait to see photos of the finished BAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! I want photos, too! If the client shares, I will, too!

      Delete
  7. Lucky client for getting such amazing pieces and lucky you for getting opportunity to learn and create them. Isn't it funny how challenges put to us by others often are the ones where we really have to stretch ourselves and in return become more skilled in what we do?
    Well done Jodi for creating such great pieces and change pretty basic components into something truly amazing.
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! You are so right - when it's for someone else we find the motivation to go outside our comfort zone. And in my case, to actually finish something if it's for someone else! I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement!

      Delete
  8. I think it looks wonderful! The door captures the look while fitting in the kit's frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! Now that I know doors are possible with the combined forces of the Cricut and the 3D printer, I am excited to come up with more ideas!

      Delete
  9. El resultado de la puerta es genial!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! ¡Estoy tan feliz de que te gusten!

      Delete
  10. Your explanation of technical process goes right over my head Jodi, however I clearly see and comprehend the physical results and they are indeed WONDROUS!
    I think that your client's BAT's project is fun and unique to begin with but her wisdom in choosing the right person to realize her vision is also noteworthy and you have more than met the criteria and then some- BRAVO YOU! and may this be the start of many new ad)venture$! ❤️

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I'm so happy that you think I'm the right person! :O)(blushing)
      It is fun to think of the possibilities and to continue learning! It is such a blessing to be trusted with such important dreams!

      Delete
  11. Like Elizabeth the technical stuff eludes me, but the end project is fantastic, a perfect compliment to the original BAT door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly! I'm so happy that you like how the project ended up!

      Delete
  12. Jodi has hecho una combinación de trabajo con cricut e impresión 3D maravilloso, la puerta es magnífica!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Pilar! ¡Creo que debo desafiarme a mí mismo con cada puerta que haga de aquí en adelante! Una puerta estándar ahora se sentirá perezosa, ¡jajaja!

      Delete
  13. Me fascina como eres capaz de emprender todos los trabajos por muy complicados que sean y que además terminas con acierto.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Marian! Al principio dudaba mucho en aceptar este trabajo, porque pensé que sería demasiado complicado y que no tenía las habilidades o el software adecuados para hacer un buen trabajo. Sin embargo, estoy muy contento de haber seguido adelante con la voluntad de intentarlo, porque me sorprendí a mí mismo y gané un poco más de confianza. Dios nos ha llenado a cada uno de nosotros con todo tipo de potencial, pero debemos permitirnos el fracaso para lograrlo. ¡Estoy muy agradecido por esta lección y por un cliente feliz!

      Delete