Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Sleeping Dreams Do Awaken...

Around five years ago I became obsessed with ideas for doing a beach house. If you've been doing minis for any length of time, I am sure a beach-y style house has made it onto your bucket list, too. At that time, I purchased the Real Good Toys Beachside Bungalow kit from Hobby Lobby, on sale, and then used the 40% off coupon. I began making elaborate plans. I made renderings in my design program, designed a complete kitchen and then ordered it in kit form from Elf Miniatures. I began collecting beach themed minis, designed and had my own fabrics and wallpaper printed from Spoonflower, and then like a lot of my "on fire" plans, it got circumvented by another idea. In 2019 I ended up using the Elf kitchen cabinet kits and appliances in the New Orleans kitchen. The Beachside Bungalow kit, still new in the box, sat on my shelf waiting for it's turn.

Kit photo, front.

I had no plans to begin on it any time soon. In fact, many times I wondered if I should just sell the kit to make room for newer dreams. And then, it happened. As I was reaching the end of Tasha's kitchen I began to get a little itchy. What was I going to do after that project? I have Pound Cake and the Storybook Cottage in process, but neither of those projects was speaking to me. Suddenly, I came across a photo of a completed Beachside Bungalow and my mind exploded with ideas. None of them involved the old fabrics, wallpaper, color scheme or layout that I had planned for the first time. In fact, my new ideas were a radical departure from any of those plans. As usually happens when I become obsessed with a new idea, I gave my craft rooms a deep clean, got Tasha's Kitchen tidied up and safely stowed, and then cracked open the Beachside Bungalow kit.

Kit photo, inside.

There are so many finished Beachside Bungalows - I think it must be one of the most popular dollhouses among miniaturists at all skill levels. It is so much fun to look at photos and see the wildly diverse visions people have had for the kit. And it seemed like a huge (and fun) challenge to come up with ways to make it singularly unique. That is what I have set out to do - incorporate innovative ideas while keeping to the original footprint of the kit and while trying to use all it's components in creative ways. I am also going to try to use the majority of supplies, furnishings and accessories from my own stash. It could get very funky! I'm going to chronicle the progress here, but in keeping with my usual weird order of operations, will deviate from the instructions here and there. I'm not trying to be a rebel, I am just always thinking of how to make things easier on myself!

Original kitchen cabinet design.

Enough with the long winded justifications. Let me tell you where I started...

I cracked open the kit, read the instructions, checked off all the components, and then kind of stuck to the instructions for the first couple pages. That involved gluing the foundation, assembling the porch posts and attaching the porch floor to the foundation. 





I scribed boards into the porch floor using my poor metal file set. Did you know that metal files were meant only to be used to file in one direction? Me neither. Until I wondered why mine were so dull. Then I did a Google search of how long cheap metal files are supposed to last. The answer was a long time, apparently, as long as you use them correctly. Which I have neglected to do, resulting in them being pretty dull. So this old Harbor Freight set is now dedicated to tasks where they will be abused. The new set will be saved for metal and will be used properly. I swear!

I taped a 1/2" board to the porch floor to use as my scribing guide. Once I had a pretty good line scribed in with a pointy file, I removed the board and then deepened/widened the gouge with a triangular and rounded file. The I cleaned it up further with sandpaper. The ending depth is about 1/16". I followed this procedure all the way across the board. Then I added in the vertical lines every 6".








Then I primed, sanded, painted light blue (a couple coats) and sanded again.



Speaking of colors, here are the color chips I think I have settled on for the project. They compliment the scrapbook stack I'd like to use for wallpaper and patterns in the project.



For the porch posts, I thought it would be fun to try making stack stone with cork. I've seen some great examples of this method - in fact, Kristine from Paper Doll Miniatures has a great tutorial. Below was my inspiration photo, and here is the cork I purchased. It is about 1/8" thick and worked really nicely. I cut 1/4" strips, using a piece of basswood as a guide. Then, I just cut the lengths and gouged and roughed the individual stones up as I applied them. I attached with hot glue because I did not want to wait for glue to dry. Or babysit to make sure the stone stayed where I put it while the glue dried. I think hot glue gets a bad rap but I love it in the right circumstance!






Here I have painted the stones. At this stage they look a little cartoon-y and one dimensional.


Here, the first wash has been added to the post on the left. It tones down the paint, adds dimension and begins to look more like real stone.


Here are the colors and glazing medium I used. I wet a sponge with water, squeeze most of the water out, dip in a couple light paint colors on various spots on the sponge, then pick up some of the glazing medium on the sponge. Then I just pounce it on the stones until I like the look. I kept going with this process a few times until they looked "finished".


Here they are on the porch foundation. Not attached yet. Just in place so that I could get the lattice and trim attached. The lattice was something I had originally planned for the first time I planned for this project. This time I decided to stain it rather than paint. I am seriously rethinking the blue porch floor, though. Maybe a light gray would be a more cohesive look with the stone? I'll live with it while I get the walls in dry fit, and then decide.





Anyway, I hope this will be an interesting project for you to follow along with. I may post some progress over on Instagram and Facebook, too. It'll be weird after Tasha's Kitchen to not keep my project secret this time!

xo xo,

Jodi

P.S. Our final Pfizer shots went well, so far. A little tired, a sore arm and a bit of a headache but nothing too serious. Good times, here we come! :O)

39 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so excited to see what you do with this kit!

    I love the blue and I love the stack stone... maybe if the blue was a little weathered? Right now it looks very new and the stone looks as if it's aged.

    The color palette you've chosen is lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Las columnas se ven fantásticas con la piedra.
    Me encanta la celosía en la parte inferior.
    Es una buena noticia que hayas recibido tu segunda dosis de vacuna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, isn’t this fun? And a little mysterious. The kit is called Beachside Bungalow, and your first plan was beachy, but maybe you are going a different direction now? Regardless, I’m excited to see which direction you take it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start Jodi! It’s much easier when you have all that inspiration and enthusiasm - things will flow along! Love the colours and papers you have chosen; they will be perfect for a beach house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! Let's hope it lasts and I actually finish this one, lol!

      Delete
    2. And if you don’t? No-one’s gonna die in a ditch! Haha! It’s the journey, not the destination! ;-)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your enabling love, Shannon! Yes - this hobby needs only to be made up of pure fun and no guilt, should, have to or need to. There's enough if that in regular life!💗

      Delete
  5. I've been quite curios to see what your next project would be. I've always like the the bungalow and it will be a great beach house. Love the colors that you have selected, too. You also always make the coolest accessories. This will be a fun build to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your colour palette. And the stacked stone is fabulous! Cant wait for the next development.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Según ha empezado el proyecto, ya te digo que será un placer seguirlo. Me encanta como has hecho las columnas. Y lo bonita que queda la celosía.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! ¡Estoy tan feliz de tenerte con nosotros para otra exploración!

      Delete
  8. Oh Jodi! me encanta que estés embarcada en un nuevo proyecto y además tan interesante! Es cierto que en el mudo miniaturil hay muchas casas de la playa, sin embargo ahora que lo pienso, yo no he hecho ninguna, así que me alegro que tú te hayas embarcado en una.
    Tus comienzos, como siempre, son alucinantes, imprimes tu magia desde el principio! Me encanta como se ve esa entrada, las piedras, los bajos del porche con el enrejado de madera...es fabuloso!
    Por supuesto que aquí estaré siguiendo cada avance!!
    Me alegra que ya tengas tu dosis completa de pfizer, a mi me la pondrán también en unas horas!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Pilar! ¡Me sorprende que no tengas casa en la playa y espero seguir algún día mientras te embarcas en una también! ¡Felicidades por tu vacuna! ¡Espero que no experimente efectos secundarios excepto los buenos momentos y la diversión con sus seres queridos!

      Delete
  9. Great start of a new project, which will be very interesting to follow, as all of your other projects were ;). The stacked stones, created with cork sheets are great, I love the color scheme you chose!!
    Good to read both of you got your final Pfizer shots and it went well.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilona! A new project is always full of hope and exciting new things to try! I am so glad you're here to enjoy it with me! And I hope that soon you will get the vaccine, too, and be able to have epic play dates with that wonderful grandson! Hugs!

      Delete
  10. Hooray!!! A new project... oh, this is wonderful news! ;O) So good you kept your beach bungalow kit for this very time when the itching began and you knew exactly what it should become... even if this meant skipping all the stuff you already had prepared. Well, don't worry... the day will come when you'll be in need of the stuff you don't need anymore at this moment. *LOL* The color scheme is very promising and I suppose the direction of this house is a modern, contemporary one. We'll see... so far I truly admire how your posts turned out, the stonework is stunning. A great job both from you and the cork!

    And great news that you got your 2nd shot! Guess what? Me too... this Tuesday! *happy-dance* And funny, your side effects are the same as mine. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! I love when things come together as though it were divinely orchestrated! I hope this project turns out to feel that way! Yes - it is feeling a bit contemporary in my mind, but artsy and whimsical, too. We'll see where it takes me! The cork has been much more fun to play with than I imagined!

      Congrats on your final vaccination, too! The relief it brings is definitely worth a happy dance or two! Maybe even in the grocery store, lol! So glad you and your mom are now safe and free!!!

      Delete
  11. Hi Jodi! I am not one to think starting a New Project is anything to apologize for!! I have too many of my own "unfinished" ones and a few that are yet in the box! It is so exciting to begin... opening the kit with that new wood smell and finding all the pieces and "seeing" how they will fit together.... "sigh"... yup, I'm on board with your new project!!!:) And I would be lying if I said I had no plans for a beach house "someday"! :) I can't wait to see where you take this build!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement, Betsy! It is wonderful to have a fellow explorer who knows that seizing on excitement is where the most satisfaction is achieved in miniatures! And you know that exact feeling of opening a new kit - it's like waking up to a sunny day: the possibilities are unlimited!!!
      Your "someday" beach house id going to be jam packed with incredible art pieces and ideas, and I hope you get to crack that idea open "soon"! I'll be right here to drool over and follow it's becoming!

      Delete
  12. Hello Jodi,

    The start of a new project, how exciting! I look forward to see where you go from here. Perhaps the pale blue is too bright for the wonderful cork stonework, but pictures are always a bit off, so you are in the best position to decide. The pale light plue is a very nifty colour though, If you scrap it in here you should use it somewhere else.

    And how nice that you are now fully vaccinated. I get my first shot in two weeks time and look forward to it.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Huibrecht! I am happy that you are joining me on this exciting new journey! I love that hue of blue, too! Maybe I can find another spot where it plays nicer with it's neighbors, lol!

      I am so happy to know you are only weeks away from your freedom! I can't wait to hear how you are joining the world again with gusto!

      Delete
  13. Another wonderful project. This bungalow will be unique with your imprint . Enjoy!
    Good that you are vaccinated. I still not even a dose...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faby! I have been looking forward to using this scrapbook stack in a project for a long time now. It just surprises me that it's in this particular kit! You just never know...

      And speaking of never knowing... I hope that Italy will get it's vaccination program going strong very soon so that you can get protected as soon as possible! I am sending prayers for your safety and quick vaccination! Hugs!

      Delete
  14. New project, yeayyyy, so exciting! I look forward to enjoying a lot and learning a lot while I get to follow you on this amazing project. I have to say that I find very interesting your choice of colours as most people will use white and blue, myself included, can´t wait to see more 😁. Jodi, what a great start, I really like what you have done so far, the bricks look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I am glad to have you alone for this build, too! The colors of the scrapbook paper really had me thinking of a California beach house, not so traditional and nautical but definitely the feel of free and easy living as if you were on vacation every day! Wouldn't that be amazing!

      Delete
  15. love your color palette and the stone! looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Me encanta como has conseguido el aspecto de piedra para los pilares, se ve super.
    Estoy deseando disfrutar de este nuevo proyecto tuyo.
    Estoy segura que será fantástico.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Marian! ¡Fue tan agradable trabajar con el corcho! ¡Espero que también lo pruebes algún día! ¡Me alegra tenerte en esta exploración!

      Delete
  17. Um, I think some security app just ate my long reply to your post. It talks about embedded posts and permission to display...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Megan I am so sorry! It is so infuriating when that happens! Thanks so much for the efforts! I still feel the love and wisdom in spite of the cyber gremlin's antics! I bet your advice was very helpful!

      Delete
    2. Ha, Jodi, today I managed to comment on your newer post without mishap. I did copy the message before posting, just in case it happened again. Your bungalow is inspirational!

      Delete
    3. Hooray! Thanks Megan! I hope we discover some fun and interesting things together on this one!

      Delete
  18. I am so impressed! Using the cork for the dry-stacked columns looks incredibly real. I've never seen it before but will certainly be filing this idea in the back of my little brain in case I have a project in the future I can use it on.

    So glad you have both your shots now. I only have the one so far and it was what caused me my problems! I was so extremely ill, I am not looking forward to my 2nd shot. The Pfizer website says that if you have a reaction to their 1st shot, expect a slightly worse with the 2nd. Worse? Oh my! I am worried! But -- it's better than getting Covid so I will grit my teeth and carry on! May be all be safe and get back to normal soon! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn!
      It's nice to see you back in blogland! The cork was much more fun to work with than I thought it would be so I hope you do get an opportunity to play with it! I think you'll enjoy it!

      I am so sorry to hear about your reaction to the vaccine! My mom had a really violent reaction to her flu shot, too, which has never happened to her before. Because of that she is getting the one dose Johnson & Johnson shot this week. I am just praying that it doesn't happen again for you or for her!

      Delete