Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Autumn's Pantry: Home Goods

This week's focus for Autumn's Pantry was to get the Home Decor wall of the store fitted. The first thing I needed to do was to create a lot of linens. It can be a challenge finding fabrics with an in scale print, in the colors of your decor and in the variety and amounts you need. So when faced with this dilemma, I often just print my own.


I have posted before about the Inkjet Fabric Sheets on Amazon that I use, but here it is again for the new folks. It comes in US standard printer size which is 8.5" x 11", but I believe you can find it in A4, as well. Maybe in a different brand, too. I just tend to stick with the brands that I have success with. The sheets feed into the printer in the exact same way that office paper does, though I just load in one sheet at a time so that a mis-feed and resulting waste of expensive fabric doesn't occur. It is very thin, but looks really good in a variety of household objects, even rugs. I find that increasing the color intensity of the ink by 10-15% (in your print settings) makes for a richer end result. If you want a faded, shabby look, decrease the ink intensity a little.


I look for fabrics online from many different sites. I also scan in scrapbook paper that I like. If there is only a small section of fabric, I fuse together several images to achieve the size of piece and pattern I like. Below is a sheet I printed and it includes tablecloths, fold-over potholders, tea towels, washcloths, and pieces to make an apron (tutorial later in the post).


The fabric comes with a peel away backing but it has no residue. Do not peel the backing paper away until you are ready to assemble the fabric into your desired object. It frays really easily and needs to be glue hemmed. I generally use an Xacto knife and steel ruler to cut the straight edges from the sheet because my scissor skills leave a lot to be desired.



You don't really need to make a full scale version of things you'll display folded. These tablecloths are only 2.7" W x 3.5" L, but when folded and displayed, pass for the real deal.



To make a tea towel for a drawer or a basket, you'll just fold into thirds and glue the left and right thirds together on the back. Then fold in half. Regular Tacky glue, used sparingly and spread evenly, works great.




If you want to display a tea towel on a towel bar, or when the ends will show, you can create fringed ends. Leave 1/8" at the end of the fabric free of glue. To prevent the fray from going beyond where you want it to, run a thin bead of glue across both ends of the towel. Let dry completely.


Then, just carefully remove the horizontal threads from the 1/8" end of the towel.


Ta-da! Fringe! This method works great for rugs, too. Then just fold the towel as above.



Now for a super simple but really cute apron. I first discovered this easy no sew method when making a potting shed for my aunt for her 70th birthday. That was way back in 2015 and was the first thing I ever blogged about. For that apron, I used a piece of the quilt my grandma had made me growing up. I knew using that material would mean a lot to my aunt, and it did!

You'll need:

Apron Pattern (provided)

2-5/8" x 1-9/16" Fabric
1-9/16 x 1/2" Coordinating Fabric For Bottom Strip
1/2" x 5/8" Coordinating Fabric For Pocket

16" of 1/8" width Coordinating Silk Ribbon

Two 1/16" Flat Back Pearls, Buttons or Metal Studs

Tacky Glue
Scissors
Toothpicks


Apron Pattern.


Cut your fabric pieces and your pattern.


Fold pattern in half and place centered on your fabric. This will let you see how wide the seams will be on each long side.


Create a seam on each of the long sides of the fabric with a thin layer of Tacky Glue. Fold and press.



Using the pattern, carefully cut the arm curves. Create a 1/16" seam along the raw edges with Tacky Glue. Let dry.


Apply a thin layer of Tacky Glue to the bottom piece of the coordinating fabric (1-9/16" x 1/2" piece).



Affix to the bottom edge of the apron. If it is too long you can trim or glue and fold back.


Apply a thin layer of glue to the pocket piece of fabric (1/2" x 5/8"piece). Attach centered on the apron, 3/4" below the neckline.


Cut two pieces of silk ribbon 5/8" long. Glue to either side of pocket.


Measure and cut a piece of silk ribbon for the top of the pocket which is long enough to cover both side ribbon pieces. Glue.


Apply a thin line of glue across the middle of the apron, using the pocket's bottom as a guide. Cut a piece of silk ribbon 5" long. Fold in half to find the center. Place centered on the pocket across glue. Cut the ends to points and then seal the ribbon ends with a tiny amount of glue.



Cut two pieces of ribbon slightly longer than the bottom fabric piece. Using a thin layer of Tacky Glue, attach one strip at the top of the bottom fabric and one at the bottom.


Turn the apron over. Add a thin layer of Tacky Glue to each of the four exposed bottom ribbon strips, then press into the back of the apron. This is so that if seen from the side, it gives the illusion of printed fabric on the back.


Measure and cut a piece of ribbon for the neckline of the apron. Glue.


Cut a 3-3/4" piece of ribbon for the apron's neck strap. Apply a small dot of glue where the neckline ribbon meets the left edge of the apron at the arm curve. Press the end of the strap ribbon into it and let dry completely.


Attach the strap's opposite end to the right neckline/arm curve, twisting the ribbon so that the same side of the ribbon is affixed.


Apply a small dot of glue to the center of both places where the neck strap meets the neckline ribbon.


Set a flat back stud/button/pearl on top of the glue. TIP: To pick up the stud/button/pearl easily, wet the flat end of a toothpick with your tongue. Touch it to the center of the right side of the stud. It will stick long enough to place it where you want it.



You can fold and bend the apron into a natural shape. You can also glue down the back ties, and even tie the neck strap into a cute bow.


Or just leave it long like a chef.  I've made dozens of different configurations of these over the years. Just have fun and use your imagination!


Once I had all the linens printed, folded and glued, it was time to load all the seasonal goods that make a house feel like home. I printed a colorful runner and shelf mats to add another layer of interest. Because I wanted to display the top drawer open with folded cloth napkins inside, I added a wood support piece to the bottom of the drawer. This allowed me to securely glue the drawer into position.


I used tulle for the chicken wire doors. It was yellow, but a quick paint wash made them look rusty.


I played around with the decor items to find the best arrangement. Some pieces needed a little paint and glaze. The empty bottles and pitchers will need fall flowers, but that will come later. I made the wreaths last summer when I was working on the Storybook Cottage's garden. I knew they's come in handy!



And now I'll leave you with shots of the finished back and right walls of the shop. The hutch ended up being the perfect piece for this spot and really allowed me to display a colorful and varied amount of all the good home goods!



















In the next few days, I hope to start on the window displays, counter displays and floor displays. Then the flowers the week after. I feel hopeful about having the project pretty close to being finished for the first day of fall, but you know who laughs when we have plans. Either way, I intend to enjoy the journey!

Wishing you all pleasant journeys!

xo xo,
Jodi

46 comments:

  1. Jodi, You are so gifted! I love all of your artistic endeavors and I truly love how you share your talents with all of us. Your computer printing skills are amazing and I am very envious of that :) I almost always end up in tears when I try to resize, reconfigure mini items. Thanks again for all of your advice! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind sentiments, Michelle! It would not be half as fun if I could not share with other creative folks who "get minis"! What I do with images is pretty simple once you get to know what the toolbar icons mean. I will continue to share tips as I go forward and hope that it helps give followers more freedom and choices in their creative endeavors!

      Delete
  2. Amazing! Just when I think you are about finished, you add another layer of lush, beautiful goodness. Your tutorial on fabric printing is helpful. First, don’t follow all the package directions – they say to rinse the fabric after printing. When I did that, the colors faded. Second, I will boost the color before printing. The aprons are adorable and the whole display is so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherrill! That is a great mention! I think the manufacturer assumes we are printing on the fabric to sew it onto people sized clothing which will be worn. For mini purposes, you do not need to rinse or set the ink. Things I printed up to 7 years ago are still looking great, so hopefully, that means reliable longevity for the ink in most printers. I do use the Canon brand ink, so can't speak for others.

      Delete
  3. Jodi,toda esa ropa de hogar es fantástica!! me encantan las cestas llenas de trapos de cocina y esos delantales tan bonitos,los manteles,toallas...todo es tan caprichoso!!!
    Me encantaría ser chiquitina y tener cerca esa tienda,creo que compraría de todo!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Pilar! ¡Es un respaldo tan hermoso! ¡Hay algo acerca de esta paleta de colores que desencadena la felicidad dentro de nosotros, como si la naturaleza nos dijera que no menospreciemos el invierno ya que la primavera volverá! Y para los niños, el otoño y halloween son el comienzo de la Navidad, ¡así que también es un momento muy feliz para ellos!

      Delete
  4. Love your posts. The vases you have in your shop are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! I'm so happy that you like the decor pieces!

      Delete
  5. Your shop is like a Horn of Plenty with its alluring Autumn Merchandise spilling over in Abundant Magnificence!; and once inside your door, a customer will Never want to leave -Beautiful Work Jodi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! That is an apropos observation and a beautiful way to phrase it! I shall endeavor not to stop stuffing things inside until I run out of things or ideas!
      Fall is such a wonderful reminder that if we stop to observe and appreciate all of the things we are blessed with, all our baskets are spilling over. The more we focus on our abundance, the happier we all will be to realize just how well we are taken care of. :O)

      Delete
  6. Oh it looks wonderful! I can't wait to see your window displays! We don't get much autumn down here so it's nice to see the colors in your shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! We have such gray and dreary weather up here from November through April. At least we get to enjoy the beautiful fall colors, usually accompanied by clear and sunny days, before the slog begins! Winters in Texas or Arizona with the mild temps and sunshine would suit me and my aching joints just fine!

      Delete
  7. I just want to shop in your little store. Seriously. It has such lovely items. So you cut the fabric with an Xacto knife? I have never tried that. I figured it wouldn't cut cleanly. But now I want to give it a try myself. 😊 For printed fabric, I *never* rinse, but I do iron. The heat is supposed to help set the ink. I am also very big on Fray Check to prevent those little edges from fraying! I agree that those sheets do tend to fray easily. I love your pretty little aprons! I was going to suggest Stitch Witchery for hemming, but I can see where the slight stiffness of the glue would actually make it easier to shape them.

    You have such a wonderful eye for arranging shelves and so many delightful little items to display! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! I'd love for you to come fill up a basket of delights! Yep - I do better with the Xacto and a small straight edge steel ruler. I do change out the blade often, though. You can tell right away when it's dulling. Ironing is an interesting idea. I forgot to mention to let the fabric sit for a while. I usually let it dry for an hour or so before I start handling it. I plan to print a flag to hang outside and then coat it with original Mod Podge to see if it makes it look like vinyl. I'll let everyone know. I have and have used both Fray Check and Stitch Witchery, as well as Heat & Bond and Aileen's Fabric Glue on a variety of fabrics. For most of what I do on this printed stuff, I find the regular Tacky Glue in the gold bottle works fine - no issues yet.The dried glue is a bit flexible so does make it pliable and hold a shape pretty well.
      I Play around with the arrangements a lot, think I am happy with it, take a photo for reference, then change my mind again in the end anyway, lol!

      Delete
  8. Wow your shop is awesome I love it. The apron and cloths are all wonderful. Stunning details I could browse here for hours. you have a real talent for putting wonderful eye catching displays together.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Maria! Wouldn't it be fun to own a shop in real life and get to set up displays for every season! But then someone would have to actually run the business and I'd be way too dreadful at that! Thank goodness for mini's and imagination!

      Delete
  9. Autumn is a time of abundance and there is an abundance of beauty in your shop! The shop displays are beautifully arranged and detailed...makes a person feel joy in the bounty of nature and the lovely colours of fall. The abundance of instruction on how to print fabric and create the apron is wonderful too and very much appreciated. A most charming, creative and realistic display of goods. Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alayne for the wonderful comments! I am so happy that the colors and items bring as much joy to you as they do to me! I love colors of every type and theme, yet all the fall colors give me a physically delighted feeling in addition to being so joyful to my eyes! They must be in my soul!

      Delete
  10. The measure of success for me with mini projects is whether I am immediately sucked up into that space for 'real'. I am itching to mooch round this fabulous little shop and pick up gifts for a couple of upcoming birthdays and put aside some stuff for Christmas - I am actually deciding what to buy.... I can heap no better praise. Thank you too for being generous with your time and doing all the detailed instructions as you go along - such a lot of help for such a lot of people. Remember everyone who appears in your comments represents a ton more that read your blog and don't leave a message and each of those will pass along your inspiration to even more people. Your skills are reaching a ton of mini people; for which we thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn! I can't think of a nicer complement than to have you actually picking out gifts from the shop! I am happy to share my experiences with everyone but hesitate to actually label them as tutorials because I always seem to leave out vital information. I do hope it does help people, though! And I am happy to offer further help if I can for questions. ❤❤❤

      Delete
  11. Awesome!! I love everything you're doing. The hutch is amazing and filled with beautiful accessories, you have found the perfect display, I want this shop for myself, it's gorgeous. Thanks once again for showing us how you make your wonderful miniatures, I really want to try printing on fabric, and when I do it, I sure will follow your lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alex! I hope you will decide to make a shop for yourself because they are so much fun and a great way to incorporate so many of the little skills we have learned over the years! Changing the furniture is one of my favorite things because and ugly duckling can become a swan!

      Delete
  12. Looks fantastic! again a great job

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always - I had so much fun and pleasure while studying your photos and it was once more very interesting to follow your thoughts about printing on fabric and the apron tutorial. Your hutch turned out amazing with all these wonderful goods and goodies - a big bouquet of all things beautiful but still useful. And the color scheme too is so lovely.

    To me your shop has a perfect Thanksgiving theme - in the German way. We're celebrating it at the beginning of October and in our language it's "Erntedank" which means "Thanks for a good harvest". In your shop there's everything that nature offers… including the wonderful, warm autumn colors. And now I'm curious to see the windows etc. - but I can't leave before mentioning what I forgot to mention in my last comment: Your new blog header looks great.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! It means so much to me that you enjoy your visits! And I am glad you like the colors and the way the hutch turned out!

      When my kids were little we used to go all out decorating the house and making all kinds of Halloween crafts. I love cute Halloween characters but the scary stuff, well it really scares me! I try to avoid it! Ghosts and devils and goblins - yikes! So I wanted to have a fall project to enjoy but I didn't want it to become scary. So incorporating harvest Thanksgiving, cute Halloween things and the change of seasons was a great way to incorporate all of it and enjoy it for months. Plus, I really love these colors!

      It's interesting that Germany celebrates the harvest so much earlier. I wonder if that is because you harvest sooner due to climate? What are your traditional dishes? I am fascinated by culture and love to learn about them! In any case, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because it reminds us of just how much we really have to be thankful for!

      I'm glad you like the new header! It was so much fun to be able to add so many projects to it and remind myself just how fulfilling this hobby is!

      Delete
    2. Well, Fiona fits for sure your scheme of "cute Halloween characters"... and we could also add the adjectives nice and friendly. *LOL* But believe me, even ghosts and goblins can be friendly too - for example Rolli, the goblin of my witch towers, is the best window cleaner in the magical worlds… ask Fluby and Rosey, they always get their windows cleaned by Rolli. And when it's time for the big spring cleaning there's nobody better for sweeping the edges than the Helpful Magical Broom. *LOL*

      But enough of joking - I wanted to answer a few of your questions. Unlike the U.S. Thanksgiving which means (as far as I know) giving thanks for everything good in life it's here only related to the harvest and of course being blessed with nature's gifts. We have a few customs, more in the Southern, catholic areas like for example Bavaria, which include harvest crowns made of grain, fruits and flowers or floor pictures made of fruits, beans, grain etc. Most of those habits are related to Church service, outside the churches and perhaps rural communities with many farmers almost nobody pays attention to Thanksgiving Day and there's no traditional meal like the U.S. turkey.

      So we're not very good at Thanksgiving- but when it comes to Easter and Christmas us Germans are back in the race… *LOL*

      Delete
    3. I could use some friendly entities who like to clean, lol! Rolli and a magical broom would be most welcome in any of my houses!

      I am going to look up Harvest Crowns! They sound interesting! In the US. Thanksgiving has become more about getting two paid holidays off from work and the kickoff to the shopping season than anything. We Americans have lost touch with a lot of gratefulness for all we have. We tend to just want more, More MORE!!! It's disheartening. A whole country full of spoiled brats and whiners. Life tends to make us grateful when we have less, not more. It may take a major change in our way of life to get back to an attitude of gratitude. :/

      Delete
  14. ¡Queda precioso!¡Qué cantidad de elementos has puesto en el armario!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Gracias isabel ¡Fue una verdadera sorpresa revisar los cajones de mis proyectos y ver cuántas cosas había reunido que funcionarían en la tienda! ¡Pensé que ya que estaba celebrando nuestra recompensa, realmente debería sobrellenar todo! ¡He tenido éxito hasta ahora!

      Delete
  15. Your shop for the new autumn season is fantastic. The many details are perfect. And thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! Fall is so full of things you can include in a scene! And you are welcome! Hope you get a chance to try it! :O)

      Delete
  16. So much fabulous stuff Jodi! All that glassware and pottery is really lovely. And again, beautifully arranged. Nothing is hidden, everything can be seen, but nothing jarring or ‘too much’. Thanks for the tips on enhancing the prints for the printable fabric. I didn’t know you could intensify the colour. I will have to try that. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I hadn't realized just how much stuff I'd collected in this genre until I began pulling it out to use! It's so much fun to finally be pulling the ideas from my head and putting these little minis on display! I hope you do try the whole fabric thing with more intense ink settings and that it opens up a whole new creative vein for you!

      Delete
  17. Wow! An awesome collection of fantastic autumn items! The display gets better and better and I can't get enough of wondering how creative you are. Your apron tutorial is wonderful and thanks for sharing it. I love the fabric prints you chose.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I appreciate your kind encouragements!

      Delete
  18. Brilliant post Jodi! So much great info here. I’m feeling the need to make an adorable apron. I’m loving all your home goods.. I love the rugs you have in the crate. What kind of fabric did you use for those? And can we talk about that fabulous leafy wreath, I need details on the construction process because I must have one. Out of interest what diameter do you make your wreaths? As always your styling of the hutch is perfect. You really have a great eye for arrangement. Loving the addition of that little stepladder too. Bravo Jodi! This is turning into a real treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam! Thank you for your kind comments and I hope you do make some aprons! They are not only fun because of the countless fabrics you can combine, but they are so cute when you're done that they are rewarding, too!

      I think the wreath on the right is about 1-1/2" x 1-1/2". Here's a link to a post I did last year on different styles of wreaths I made for the cottage and I know it will spark some ideas for you:

      https://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/search?q=wreath

      I'm so glad you are liking the pantry because I am having so much fun stuffing things into every nook and cranny!

      Delete
  19. Jodi:
    This looks magnificent - so bountiful! I love how you are able to fit so much "stuff" in such interesting layers.It is a fabulous shop. Makes me want to browse around in it.
    Emjay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emjay! I am so glad you came by the shop for a visit, even if's it's only a digital shopping trip!

      Delete
  20. Uh, I'm late !! I came to comment on this post, and I saw that you've already done another one!
    This corner of autumn becomes more and more beautiful and full of wonders! This time the things that caught me were the small details of fabric (I love fringes!) Well wound in baskets and shelves, and the beautiful garlands ... But I believe that the true secret of this creation is the complete harmony of style and colors that unites everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elenè! Your timing is perfect! I think I am a day early this week because of my nephews wedding!
      Thank you for your encouraging and lovely comments! There is a lot of moving things around to try and make everything seen in the scene and I am so happy to hear that I got it right! These colors are so easy to work with because they just play so nicely with each other!

      Delete
  21. Hi, Jodi - I'm late again! I need to stay at home more and stop gallivanting around. This post is stunning in its gorgeous array of autumn home goods. It's very frustrating not to be able to go into the Autumn's Pantry and browse and touch all the bounty to my heart's content. Thank you - again - for all the detailed instructions for making some of the beautiful home goods. I agree that the hutch is the perfect piece for the pantry - and its luscious color sets off all the goods that you've so artistically displayed. Bravo, Jodi!
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marjorie! I know what you mean about staying home! I feel like I have been on the run for a week now! But soon the weather will be too icky to do anything but enjoy being at home!!! Enjoy the outings while you can, and I'll get back to this project in a couple weeks when life here returns to "normal"!

      Delete
  22. Qué preciosidad y qué maravillosa elección de colores!!! Tiene tanta calidez, tanto encanto!!! Maravilloso!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete