Tuesday, July 9, 2019
Come Sit Down...
I am calling the New Orleans living room finished! My To-Do list is getting shorter and my project drawers are getting emptier! Only two more rooms and the landscape board to go! Hey, now that there will be empty drawers, does that mean I can start planning a new project?!? I know! I know! Back to Earth, Jodi! You still have the cottage to finish!!! :o)
I'll catch you up on the last two weeks... First, I got out the sewing machine to make the throw pillows for the sofa. I ended up with two passable navy ones and two passable gold ones. Don't look too close, just pay attention to the beautiful embroidered pillow by MiniArtHouse!
I also made a memory pillow for Russ from one of his Uncle Pat's shirts. Before he passed, he used to wear it in the garage to work on sand rails with Russ. It has a lot of sentimental value, and it made Russ cry happy tears when I gave it to him.
Big sewing is so much more forgiving, but I tried my mini luck again by making a reversible bed cover, too. I'll wait to show you more of that when I finish the bedroom. I am a bit more comfortable with the machine now, but lord!!! I still suck at mini pillows!
After that, I went back to something that I've had lots of practice at... Flower kits! I needed six arrangements for vases, so I made hydrangeas, gladiolas, asters, carnations and azaleas. Finding complementary colors in a predominantly teal decor was a challenge! But as always, Susan's kits were a real pleasure to work with!
Next I needed more plants. I had some kits from Mary Kinloch for a few years, and truthfully, I was intimidated by them. They stayed in a drawer, forgotten. It took a few days to work up the courage to give them a try. I ended up finding examples of the plants online and just dove in. I used alcohol inks on the leaves, and thickened up the wires on the Parlor Palm with tinted Mod Podge layers. They convey what I was after, so even if they are not completely accurate palms and ferns, I like them.
I modified a HOM table to narrow it up a bit, and added a back piece so the books had support. I added another lamp to the room which meant drilling holes and running the wire under the house. This house is just too heavy for me and caused a few panicked moments as I lifted and attempted to prop it up. From now on, if I can't lift them, I don't want to do them!
Here's the entry vase in place. I think I need to make a little basket for keys.
It was challenging to figure out what to put where, but I am satisfied with the arrangement. The lighting doesn't look so yellow in real life. I wonder if a better camera would help.
Here's the overall finished living room. My policy is that if I can't decide, do nothing! :O) That is why there is no runner behind the sofa. The lady of the house is just getting ready to enjoy a glass of white wine and a good book. I hope she doesn't mind sleeping on the sofa for a couple more weeks while I get her bedroom ready!
First photos with lights on...
And lights off...
I hope you enjoyed the tour, and find the colors, textures and patterns cohesive!
Next up, the hall of mirrors and the bedroom. Hope to be back soon!