Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, July 25, 2019

Autumn's Pantry

Getting to the end of a project always makes me itchy to get started on a new one. I have been tossing ideas around in my head for a while now, thinking about what kits I have stashed away and what might be calling to me. After the involved and complicated bashing I did on both the New Orleans and the Storybook Cottage kits, I am craving something a lot simpler. Perhaps just a room box type project, and perhaps, since I haven't yet tried the genre, something to display in the fall? That thought was the one that got me remembering all of the fall/harvest/rustic type minis I have stashed away here and there, and soon the idea to combine two of my small kits was born.


In March of 2017 I had the opportunity to visit a miniature shop in Glendale, AZ called Auntie Em's. It was a treasure trove of miniature delights, including lots of new old stock kits. I found Carlson's Old Time Store kit on that trip, and the Victorian Bay Window kit on a subsequent visit. I decided that the store kit wasn't quite large enough on it's own, but if I doubled the floor space and added the bay window kit, it would be the perfect size for a fall farmer's market type of store. The working title is Autumn's Pantry.

Side Note: I've had a lot of questions recently on how I make certain things and what materials and supplies I use. That got me thinking that maybe I have become a little lazy on my blog. It seems I used to share everything in more detail, but somewhere along the way, I began to think I was preaching to the choir and maybe being a little redundant? But in the interest of potentially helping or encouraging any readers to try something new to them, I am going to attempt to be more detailed about what I am doing and how I am doing it. If I inadvertently leave something out, just tell me. I am happy to explain anything, though I am no expert on anything. To me, minis are just about trying new things and having fun!


I combined the two original tongue and groove left/right side pieces to make one double right wall. The original floor and roof piece were combined to create the new floor. The original back piece remained the same width, only needing a 3/16" strip added at the top to match the other wall's height. The left wall would be comprised of the bay window kit and two 1-5/16" side walls to match the width of the right wall. The front wall with the window panels and door would remain the same, so the only piece I'd need to completely invent was the main roof. I decided to keep it really simple, giving it the look of a strip mall store with a clear "glass" top to let in more light. The bay window roof would work nicely with the new facade with no changes necessary. It was a little tricky to cut the mitered pieces, but following the instructions, it came out great with just a little finish sanding. More roof photos are coming later in the post...




The first decisions were colors and finishes. I liked the idea of a Northwest theme using a green/burnt sienna color palette accented with brick. I wanted to go with a rustic/country kind of feel, so all of that gave me a direction to go in. I had a big book of scrapbook paper with a nice variety of patterns to use as both wall covering and flooring. To prep it for installation, I took it out to the garage and sprayed Sealer on both sides, letting it dry several hours in between. To install the flooring, I used Wallpaper Mucilage, applying it to the back of the paper with a 1" paintbrush. I positioned it on the floor, then used a plastic burnishing tool to smooth out any wrinkles and distribute the paste evenly. Any paste that oozes out I quickly wipe up with a baby wipe. Because of the sealer applied to the paper, the paste will just wipe clean away without damage. Don't leave too long or get too wet - the sealer is only so good.
Because I wanted a shiny floor, after the paper was dry, I took the structure back to the garage, taped off the walls with printer paper, then sprayed a few coats of Gloss Sealer, letting each one dry for 15 minutes.



I thought the panels below the windows would look nice with some rustic brick. Since it was such a small area, I decided to use the egg carton method. To determine how many bricks I'd need to make, I laid out each of the panels on the egg carton lid. One lid would be plenty with some left over for later sidewalk or planters.

***At this point, you can paint a grout color as an undercoating where the bricks will be applied.  If you are going to create a very tight brick pattern and will not be using grout but are concerned that the background might show through, painting a grout color will work fine. If you are definitely grouting, painting a grout color is unnecessary, as the grout will cover all of the open grout lines when done properly.


To get the coloring for my bricks, I squirt a blob of each of the colors I want to use onto a paper plate, going from darkest to lightest. I apply my main color as a background to the entire egg carton surface using a brush. The remaining colors will be applied using an old piece of kitchen sponge. I wet the sponge first to open up all of the holes but squeeze all the excess water out. Then I randomly apply each of the colors from darkest to lightest, blending and splotching as I go. If the sponge begins to get sticky, re-wet and squeeze out again. Once you have a result you like, let dry thoroughly. The benefits to this method are that it's fast, and once you cut and apply the brick, you get a nice random pattern.


Base color

After all the colors are sponged on

To get consistently sized bricks, I start with strips. I first cut the egg carton into 1-1/4" width strips the entire length of the carton lid. Then I cut them down so that they are in 2-1/2" lengths. Then each of those lengths are cut into 1/4" widths using a piece of 1/4" basswood strip as a guide. Then each strip is cut into 5/8" bricks. Perfect pieces are put into one cup, scrap pieces into another for later use.



To apply the bricks, I draw a center horizontal line with a dot indicating vertical center. Once the first brick is positioned, I add a line of glue and place the rest of the bricks. Then I measure up from those bricks and draw the next line. If you want perfectly aligned bricks, be precise in your work. If you want a little character, just have fun.


I glue the bricks over the edge and when dry, just trim around the edges. It's much faster than fitting each brick to the end.


TIP: You may find that you go through quite a lot of Xacto blades. I sure do! To safely dispose of them, I fill up an empty prescription bottle with the old blades. Once full, I paste a label that says "Sharps" onto the bottle and place in my regular trash bin. Because the prescription bottle lid is locked, there is no concern about someone inadvertently getting injured. Check your county's regulations, as they may be different.


Once the bricks are dry and trimmed, you must apply varnish. I had unfavorable results once using Mod Podge, so now I only use DuraClear matte varnish. I apply three generous coats, letting each one dry thoroughly in between. I know it's frustrating to wait for things to dry when our mini time is so limited, but it really does pay to be patient. Try to have other tasks lined up so that you are making progress on other things during the necessary drying time.


Now it's time for the grout. I have had my best success using Dap DryDex spackling compound. I just add a bit to a recycled disposable condiment cup. It doesn't take much. I squirt in a tiny bit of complementary color, then mix. The grout wil lighten as it dries, so take that into consideration when mixing up the color. My best application tool is my finger. I squish the grout into the grout lines, wiping away the excess back on to the edge of the grout cup. Once a manageable area is filled, I use a baby wipe to clean up the brick surface. If the surface is extra craggy, you may need to employ the aid of a toothpick to remove excess grout. With a few good coats of sealer, you are safe to wipe several times. If the egg carton surface begins to erode, stop what you are doing and begin the sealing process over again. I learned the hard way so you don't have to!
Let the grout dry thoroughly, then seal again with the varnish.


The backs of my brick panels are visible from inside the store. I decided to make them look like rustic wood panels. I measured out board sections and used a stylus and screwdriver to scribe out seams. Then I painted them burnt sienna and applied a Glazing Medium mixed with burnt umber (4 parts glazing medium to 1 part paint) over the top. Rustic! The exterior tongue and groove got the same paint and glazing effect.




Meanwhile, during the drying time, I installed the wallpaper. It looks Really Green! now, but once the built in shelving goes in it will balance quite nicely.


Back to the roofing... Both roofs will be tarnished copper. This requires several steps. First a coat if raw sienna, then a few coats of Copper Metallic, then an age wash with watered down raw sienna, then some Verdigris patina gilders paste wax. The door will get the same finish. This is where I'm at with the roofs and door, so far.
I plan to leave the front panel and the main roof removable for easy access, so many of my photos will be taken with a helper to hold the wall in place.



Hopefully, when I see you next time, I'll have the roofs finished, the brick panels installed, the built in shelves fabricated and installed, the regular window panes installed and some handy information about how I achieved a stained glass look in the upper windows of the front wall panel. Lots to do and lots of experimentation, but with such a small scale project, it doesn't feel like too much!

Hope all of you are getting to try some new things, too! Whether mini related or otherwise, new things keep us young at heart!

xo xo,
Jodi

44 comments:

  1. Son dos kits muy bonitos y en tus manos,se convertirán en algo único! Tus avances hasta el momento,ya auguran unas preciosas escenas.
    Me mantendré a la espera de ver más avances.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias pilar! ¡Siempre es muy emocionante comenzar con algo nuevo! ¡Espero que disfrutes el tema conmigo!

      Delete
  2. A very interesting project. You have already made a lot of progress and everything looks beautiful. Thank you for the detailed and very helpful tips. Always a pleasure to follow your work.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drora! I am so glad you are here to explore this new idea with me!

      Delete
  3. This is going to be fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful project Jodi! I have no idea how you manage to do so much AND put together such detailed blog posts each time, but well done. As always, your handy hints are promptly stored / pinned for when I need them.
    Mini Hugs,
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I hope you get lots of useful info and inspiration!
      I am at the perfect phase in life for exploring mini projects. Kids are grown and beginning new love lives/careers, no grandkids yet, husband working out of town four nights a week and no commuting to work and parents retired several stated away. It's the perfect incubator and I am going to make the most of it while I can, lol!

      Delete
  5. What a great marriage of kits! Your Autumn Pantry is sure to be super cute. I always enjoy tutorials. Even though I might have tried a technique, each miniaturist has their own approach to problem solving along the way. Thanks so much for taking the time to show us how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherrill! We all do find our own unique way, and sometimes a little nudge is all we need to try something new! An exchange of ideas is how I learn and become aware and having so many talented mini friends is a sure way for me to learn something new, too!

      Delete
  6. Wow, that was a heck of a blog to do. So a big thank you not only for sharing the fabulous creations you produce but the how-to along the way. Even if, like me, you may not be doing the self same thing there are ways and means in there that can be taken to a zillion other projects. I smiled about the sharps container. Great minds.... I have a large vitamin bottle that has a flip flap in its lid so, would you believe it, after five years it still isn't full enough to throw away. Talk about economical recycling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! I am so happy to spill all the beans and only need to remember to take photos as I go! That is the biggest challenge as I tend to get on a roll! Yes you never know what will trigger another idea so I always find it interesting when blog friends share their process. Isn't it a shame that we can't easily re-sharpen all those blades? I have tried, and am simply no good at it.

      Delete
  7. A really interesting and inspiring blog entry that is the beginning steps to a wonderful fall inspired project. With the heat of summer it is refreshing to think of cooler fall days, fresh produce and lovely colours. Looking forward to seeing the next steps and thank you for sharing the how-to's.
    Cheers,
    Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alayne! I am happy that you find the new project interesting and hope you enjoy the process all the way through with me! There are so many ideas with the harvest theme, so finding fun things to make should be easy!

      Delete
  8. what a wonderful project! I really like the structure and harmony of colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claude! I really enjoy the color palette, too!

      Delete
  9. This looks wonderful so far! Genius to make the back of the brick panels match the rest. And I really love the green. I'm so excited to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! It's a lot of fun to go in a completely different direction from the last couple projects! I am really excited about experimenting with the stained glass look, too!

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful new project. So glad for the tutorials. You just never know when someone might find them useful (as you'll see in my next blog post. ;-) ). Clever idea for dealing with Xacto blades; I never know what to do with mine. Am very much looking forward to seeing this project grow. I know it will be beautiful when done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! Oh now I am excited for your next post! I love a good tutorial, too, and always find something useful in them! I have quite a few filed away and this is the perfect project to actually try some of them. I hope you'll find my experiments useful, too!

      Delete
  11. I really love how you have put 2 kits together. A lot more light in there and more ways to sneak in a peak! The bricks look wonderful. Nice job!!! I cannot wait to see what you make with this project!
    Mini huggs,
    Conny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Conny! I am glad you are here to explore this new and different idea with me!

      Delete
  12. It's going to be another Stunner! Love the brickwork and the marrying of the two kits- a Fab Idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I am excited that the structures went together cohesively and that it will be a manageable sized project to complete!

      Delete
  13. La verdad es que los dos kits forman un bonito conjunto. Me gustan los colores de suelos y ladrillos. Habrá que esperar para ver el resultado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias isabel ¡Es muy divertido trabajar en algo tan pequeño porque el progreso parece muy rápido! ¡Me estoy divirtiendo mucho, hasta ahora!

      Delete
  14. Great idea putting the 2 kits together. I love the brick work. Your roof and door are wonderful. Thank you for sharing your work.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! I think with the two kits in this configuration, it should be just big enough to make a fun fall scene and fit year round on a shelf.

      Delete
  15. Great - a new exciting project! I already admire very much the way you've combined these two small kits and I also like the color scheme, very warm and friendly. But I must say those bricks are a burner, wonderful work - and at this point many thanks for writing so detailed and explaining your steps so very well. This is a lot of extra work and it's much appreciated - and this compliment comes from a German friend who can usually not get the brands you're recommending/using here. But it's still very inspirational to see how you're working your miracles.

    The only disappointing thing about your new project to me is the emphasis on fall and not on Halloween... *grin* But who knows… maybe one day you'll reach the dark and witchy side of miniatures too… *teehee* No, I'm just joking - it will be fun to discover what kind of treasures hidden in your stash you're going to use for this shop.

    But speaking of witchy… I'm using clear window color for getting a stained glass effect on the windows of my magical buildings. I've searched the post from the building of my herb witch's retirement home, maybe this can be helpful for you… at least to learn how you should better not do it. *LOL* Here's the link: https://biwubaer.blogspot.com/2015/02/die-augen-des-hauses-2015er-version.html

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brigit! I am glad you like the bricks and I am sorry that we are not able to access all of the same supplies. I bet you already know the German equivalents to the water based varnish and wall patching mixture, but if you need a further explanation of the make up of anything else let me know and I will see what I can find out.
      I am not ruling out any Halloween references in the project, but want to be able to enjoy it from September right up until the Christmas decorations come out after our US Thanksgiving. If I make it "fall", it covers more time! I am hoping I can find some cute kids in costumes and include some jack-o-lanterns etc... And of course I can collect and add wonderful new things over the years as I come across them.
      Thanks for sharing the link to the post for your stained glass windows! I love the way the stickers came out and I am really hoping I end up with something as lovely! I'll share more about the different methods I'm trying and the results but it probably won't be until next week's post. I am waiting on some supplies and in the meantime working on the fixtures of the shop to keep me busy!
      Big Hugs!

      Delete
  16. Maravilloso.
    Me encantan los papeles, en contraste con el marrón de puertas y vigas....y los ladrillos se ven tan reales.
    Un beso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias carolina ¡Estoy muy feliz de que estés aquí y sigas el proyecto conmigo! ¡Es muy divertido ir con la tripa y jugar con texturas y xolors! ¡Estoy feliz de que también te gusten!

      Delete
  17. Hi, Jodi - I'm so excited about your new fall project - and I love the working title, "Autumn's Pantry." That brings visions of pumpkins and candied apples and squash and jellies and popcorn balls! Combining the two kits was an inspiration, as is your choice of colors. Your egg carton bricks are wonderful, and I do appreciate your detailed tutorial for making the bricks - as well as all the other information about technique and materials. That is all so helpful! I'm definitely looking forward to watching the progress on this project.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marjorie! I am so glad you are here to begin this adventure with me, and like yours, my ideas are multiplying! I have a full page with two columns of things I'd love to make and include, I just hope I have enough space and patience for all of them!
      I am happy to hear that you feel the brick info is helpful - I never know if I'm just being repetitive with what's already been shown so many times in blogland! I have some fun new crafting techniques to try with this project and I hope you'll find that interesting, too!

      Delete
  18. Ooh, how exciting! An autumn project! and what a great couple of kits you sourced for the project. I really like that rustic wood panelling. It reminds me of ski cabins with split logs lined with chinking. I’m going to keep this technique in mind for when I get around to building my ski cabin. :D That is a lot of green and pattern, but I recall I’ve been here before with your projects and then you turn the thing that I was worrying about into something amazing. Lol... I must learn to trust you on this stuff because you are the queen of pattern in miniature. :D I’m looking forward to seeing it with the shelving in. :D The bricks look great too and I like the idea of the glass roof. Ooohhh... this is so exciting.. I love a fresh new project to follow. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! I am really enjoying the process so far because I really like doing rustic things. I bet you will have so much fun when you begin your cabin and get to indulge in the rustic side, too!
      It is a lot of pattern but not much of it is going to show through in the end with all of the shelving, wall decor and stuff piled on the floor! I am going bold with the colors on this one to honor the vibrancy of fall, and hopefully it's not too jarring for some!
      The really neat part is that I am finally able to pull furniture and kits out of the "someday" drawers and enjoy them in the project. If I croak tomorrow, I can feel a little happier that some of these fun little treasures got their day in the sun before my kids had to sell them or give them away, lol!
      I'm glad you're here on this adventure with me and I hope you'll like where it's heading!

      Delete
    2. This looks great Jodi, and a welcome change from a large project! I love the wallpapers. They are a little bit retro, a little bit country kitchen. I really love the theme idea too - I might squirrel it away for future inspiration. Can’t wait to see more. Xx

      Delete
    3. Thanks Shannon! It is so great to not feel daunted by the amount of tasks in order to finish a project! I may just have to do a few small ones before I am ready to tackle the next big one!
      It's such a fun theme with so many possibilities and I hope you do end up doing something like this at some point! You could turn one of those incredible cottage kits into something really special!!!

      Delete
  19. Two kits, one project. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! I almost took the Rik Pierce book I got for my birthday and turned the kits into a treehouse! That project is still in the "dreaming about" stage and a fall project just seemed right on time!

      Delete
  20. A new project! How fun! However it made me laugh your idea of a simple project, two kits together lol. Thank you for such a detailed post, you are great, I don't have the patience to explain what I do in such educational way but I do really appreciate your effort, I am learning a lot,thank you Jodi. I look forward to seeing more of this amazing project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex! I am glad that you think my explanations are sufficient! Sometimes I forget to chronicle the steps with photos and then I feel like my post is not as good as it could be. I used to give classes at my old job and have to create the manuals to go with them so it sort of trained me to be extra explanatory, lol!

      Delete
  21. Hi Jodi, I am loving this project! Thank you for the detailed instructions- I have learned so much from you. Do you happen to remember what brand of stickers you used on your drawer fronts? I think that is a great detail. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! I'm so happy that you're enjoying following along with the project! I'm glad to have you here!
      There are several brands of 3D stickers that I use, and I will list a few off so you can begin to search for some that you like:
      Dazzles
      JEJE
      Elizabeth Craft
      Anitas
      Hot Off The Press
      Stamps of Life
      I have picked mine up at craft stores (scrapbooking section), eBay and Amazon. Hope you find some great ones and that they make your projects even more special!

      Delete