Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Be Our Guest...


After our son moved out in July, we decided to give some of the upstairs rooms a little refresh. We took out the old carpeting, replaced it with laminate flooring, repainted the walls, and did some repairs. It took us a while (and is still ongoing), because Russ had been working out of town, coming home for weekends, for several months. As luck would have it, other important things (like replacing the Jeep's clutch) came up and took precedence, too. We really only had the weekends together to get things done, and a lot of the work was a two person job. Our scope of work included two bedrooms, the guest bath, the hallway and (almost finished) the landing. We are also replacing the carpeting on the stairs for wood treads and beadboard risers, though that work is still ongoing. It's been a lot of physical work, and in spite of our "Reuse, Recycle, Restore and Repurpose" commitment, the $$ have been flying out of the checking account. But like most necessary things, we are glad to have (nearly) gotten it done.

For now, we only furnished and decorated one guest room. Our usual visitors live close enough to go home after gatherings, so one room seemed appropriate. To make it a comfortable place for our guests, we bought a few things, refreshed and repaired a few things, and I made a few things. I have a lot of bold colors throughout the rest of my home, so I wanted the guest rooms to feel light and airy. I tried several samples on the walls, and because of it's warm and neutral feel, went with Behr Cream Puff. I like it, and it gives off a nice feeling in person. It also looks crisp and clean with the freshly repainted white trim.


I made the wall art piece thingy using wood, trim, knobs, ribbon and paint I already had. The frames are 12" x 12" purchased on sale from Hobby Lobby online. The price was great ($4.99 half price sale), and the frames are good quality, but boy did they take a long time to get here! 10 days! If only Hobby Lobby knew how impatient I am, and could get my stuff to me in 3 to 4 days instead, they'd get A LOT more of my money! I used the Cricut Design Space to create the lettering and mats for the frames. The letters for HOME were also purchased from Hobby Lobby.


The coat rack/hanger was under $8, having only to buy the chipboard "welcome" and two fancy metal hooks. I had the scrap wood and trim, black chalk paint and bronze guilder's paste.




The dresser has been a hand me down in our family for a number of years. My grandparents had it in their guest bedroom, then when grandpa passed, it lived at my parents house. They gave it to my son who used it until he moved out, and then it became ours. Originally, it had a very orange-ish toned stain. Not really my style, but the original hardware was unique and rustic enough to fit in with the new decor. After a coat of black spray paint and then a dusting of aged bronze, they're even better. I gave the dresser a good cleaning to remove accumulated and invisible oils and furniture polish collected on it throughout the years, then primed and spray painted it satin black to match the rest of the furniture. It works really well in the room.





 

The platform bed frame is nothing special, just a ship flat IKEA type piece. They wanted an arm AND a leg for the matching headboard, so I made my own. Having some experience making fabric covered cornices for the kitchen and family room windows, I had a little confidence that I could make the fabric covered headboard. Nothing fancy, just interesting and nice. Russ cut the 3/4" plywood for me, then I stapled on a 1" foam slab. I wrapped batting over that, and then the fabric. I got the upholstery fabric and the foam slab from Joanne's online when they went on sale for 50% off. I paid $5.99/yd. for the fabric (bought 4 yards so I'd have extra) and $16 for the 24" x 90" roll of 1" thick foam. I had leftover batting stored from the cornices, and finally put it to good use! The fabric is pretty and pulls in the yellow, black and creams from the rest of the decor. I also made runners for the dresser and the nightstand with the fabric.


I bought the chair, mattress, bedding with window covering set, candles, rug and clock at various online retailers after much price comparing and review reading. Did I mention how much I avoid shopping in stores? Fierce traffic to get anywhere, long lines, out of stocks, can't find what you need, having to drive all over to several stores just to strike out. Nope. Not doing it. I'm an online shopper, and even get my groceries delivered!


The lamp is an extra from the set I have in the family room. It just needed a simple rewiring. The nightstand is an extra piece I've used in various rooms over the years.


The bathroom didn't get a lot of attention. I found just scrubbing the walls, repainting the over-the-toilet cupboard and a fresh coat of trim paint did the trick.  I replaced the previous art work in the frames with another quick and easy Cricut project. Russ and I had already replaced the light fixture and added the countertop tile years ago. So, a guest bath ready for guests or overflow (oops! probably shouldn't use that adjective when referencing a bathroom!) from family gatherings.


And that's it for now, though at some point we'd like to replace the flooring in the last three upstairs rooms. Maybe next spring, though - we're pooped and looking forward to some lazy days!! I'll leave you with a lovely foggy fall morning view from the guest room's window.

Mt. Rainier
Hopefully, next week I'll be back with continued progress on the Storybook Cottage landscape.

xo xo,
Jodi


33 comments:

  1. What a lovely room! So welcoming and comfortable looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I'm so happy that we have it ready - our family will be here this afternoon!

      Delete
  2. Jodi, this looks sooo inviting! Your guests will probably want to stay and stay and stay ;-)
    My renovation is nowhere near this: we are now down to the concrete and I am living like a student in one little - but very nice room. 7 weeks to go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marion how exciting for you! So it should be ready right around Christmas! I can't wait to see!

      Delete
  3. Lovely, cozy and very inviting room. I love the way everything fits. Great combination of colors. You worked hard and the results are rewarding.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Drora! I hope Fred & Darla feel right at home for their stay!

      Delete
  4. I love the wall color you chose. Nice work creating a comfortable room. I admire your thriftiness too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keli! I would have chosen different bedding, if I could have justified spending more, but this will work for now. I did spend the $$ for a nice mattress, though, so at least it will be really comfortable!

      Delete
  5. Si que has trabajado duro, pero el resultado ha merecido la pena,has dejado una habitación muy moderna y acogedora.La lámpara con el reloj me encanta.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Rosa Maria! Definitivamente se enlaza con el resto de la casa con los muebles negros, ¡muy bueno para los niños y las mascotas! : o)

      Delete
  6. Very Nicely done Jodi! Your guest room rehab is a light and restful haven and it must give you a lot of satisfaction to see it not only completed but that you and Russ worked our your design on a dime(s)- BRAVO!!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! If you ever want a play date, it will be ready for you and you're welcome to stay as long as you like! 💗

      Delete
  7. LA habitación de invitados ha quedado muy acogedora y cálida. Habéeis hecho un gran trabajo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! No conseguí el juego de edredón o la alfombra que realmente quería (demasiado $$), ¡pero algún día cambiaré por ellos!

      Delete
  8. Hi, Jodi - What a treat to see your new guest room - and it turned out beautifully. Lucky guests! I like your color scheme; it's so cheery and yet restful, and your choice of fabric and bedding looks so fresh with the soft wall color. I love all the painted letters and the "Home" wall art - and the rug looks gorgeous. This is such a comfortable, inviting room - your guests will be sorry to have to leave.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marjorie! I hope we have provided everything our guests need to feel right at home! It was fun to make things for the house, as I have not done that for so long. It also feels good to be reclaiming the spaces from our adult son! Free at last, lol! 😜

      Delete
  9. Such a beautiful color of Yellow. Do you have the name of the shade? Congratulations on completing your renovation. I'll be there next Tuesday to claim my spot. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! You are welcome any time, though I would not trade your sunshine for our cloudy rain this time of year!
      The color is from Home Depot, Behr brand, color Cream Puff. I used the flat/matte sheen because with a room this small, shiny walls are a no-go!

      Delete
  10. The saying in your beautiful frame hanger says it all: In this room all your guests can feel at home without a single doubt that they're more than welcome. You and your husband made a terrific job. Although you had already shown a bit of your progress it was great to see all of this developing to become a friendly, lovely and inviting guest room… plus a nice bathroom. Btw I'm with you when it comes to online shopping, I live in a rural area so it saves me time, fuel money and I can be sure that my things or in stock. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jodi! Wow! What a lovely retreat that room will be for your guests! The view alone is stunning... and gives a "far away" feeling to the Dreamy decor you have created! It is beautiful and thoughtful and fun without being too "decorated"! I love the wall saying... following your dreams is important ... and we often let ourselves be distracted by life! The re-make of the dresser is gorgeous... I love what a little paint can do! Also the bed headboard... I have never covered one myself... but have wanted to! LOL! The fabric you found is cheerful and whimsical.... and not overpowering.... just right for a restful vacation-y feeling! I hope you are having a wonderful time with the relatives... and that the minis will be "inspired" by your mini break! Keep up the great work! (But rest when you need to!!!) :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! We had a lovely visit, and our guests reported that the room was cozy and functional, and the bed was oh so comfy!
      And now, I can't wait to do something "mini" again! 😊

      Delete
  12. ohhhh, quien pudiese quedarse en esa habitación!!!
    Me encanta, muy chic y acogedora.
    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Carolina ¡Estoy feliz de que te guste! ¡Ojalá pudieras venir de visita, también!

      Delete
  13. Hi Jodi. You and your husband have done a terrific job. The room looks fantastic! The only problem I see is that with such nice and comfortable room your guests might stay longer LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Thanks Alex! Our guests only stayed for three days this time, but if they were guests that would do minis with me - they could stay forever and I wouldn't mind! 😁

      Delete
  14. Fabulous looking reno Jodi! I love the fabrics on the bed. Must have been a lot of work :) And that view outside - spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine! It was a lot of work, but luckily, we were able to do it in phases so it didn't become overwhelming. We still have a few things to wrap up, but now that fall is here indoor activities are easier! Over time, I will replace the comforter and shams to something softer, and make new drapery panels with the headboard fabric.

      Delete
  15. Hello Jodi,
    You did an amazing job. The room is so warm and welcoming and the furniture turned out beautifully. I am absolutely in love with the fabric you chose. What a wonderful view of mount Rainier
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Giac! It is a nice feeling to have the house back, and to have a room ready for anyone who needs it!

      Delete
  16. Jodi I don't know how you do it! Your guest room is so warm and inviting. All the more so with the attention to detail and the things you made yourself. Well done! Thank you for sharing and inspiring!

    Hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments, Teresa! It was a project that was long overdue, and it feels so great to have gotten it finished! Especially because I can focus again on my mini goals! :O)

      Delete