Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Heaven Sent

It's amazing how a simple hobby can change your life. Minis have always ignited something in me, but it was only in the last six years or so that I've been able to fully explore this passion. How can something so trivial fill up one's soul so much? I don't know the answer, I just know I've never done anything that excites me this way, and allows me to be so creative.

One of the most incredible aspects of being involved in this hobby is getting to connect with so many others who feel the same way. You don't need to explain minis to another miniaturist, they just get you. And connecting with so many kindred souls has been amazing. I have learned so much and been so inspired by others who, like me, are compelled to share every dream and idea with like minded and passionate people. One of the most incredibly talented and inspiring people that I've had the privilege to meet is Elizabeth Shinn. I'm sure you all know the stunning work that she shares on her own blog, Studio E.

In addition to being incredibly creative with things like turning everyday objects into works of art, using masterful crafting techniques and compounds to create incredible texture and age to things, and making amazing miniature food and flowers, Elizabeth is an extraordinarily kind and generous person. I am sure many of you have seen or been encouraged by  the numerous comments she leaves for others. She always takes the time to leave such thoughtful and insightful words. I look forward to her comments on every post! Because of that generous spirit, Elizabeth is one of my heroes in the miniature world.

So you can only imagine my excitement when I received a message from Elizabeth asking for my address! You see, she had made perfume bottles and thought I might like some for the cottage! Yes! Yes, please!

I retrieved my package this morning, and was gobsmacked by all the incredible things inside! Not just perfume bottles, but so, so much more!


I am amazed at the intricacies and detailed elements Elizabeth has managed to include on these bottles! They are truly beautiful, and I wish the camera could capture how some of them sparkle! I don't know how she knows just what to use and how to design them or manage to glue these tiny pieces, but they are perfect! I can't wait to display them in the cottage bedroom and bathroom! And there are so many!


These jars and tray and towels and soap are just incredibly delicate and pretty! The glass tray even has feet! Every little thing is embellished with something special, all in perfect scale and completely realistic!


Just look at the detail in this tray of cookies! It must have taken so much time to make each of these. They look so real, and incredibly delicious!  If I went to afternoon tea, I'd have to have one of each kind! I think these will be perfect displayed in the living room right next to the Ina Williams tea set!


I am getting so hungry just looking at these amazing foods! Look at the fruit on top! Who can do this? Elizabeth can! This combination of green and pink will look lovely in the cottage's kitchen!


And this one? Topped with chocolate and macaroons? This wouldn't last a day in my real life house! I have a special cake stand just for this one!



Elizabeth bought this pitcher for herself from an artisan in Italy. Because of it's colors (and her giant heart) she has passed it on to me! The flowers are made by Elizabeth, and are so realistic in color and texture that a good photo could fool you into thinking they are "real"! I am so excited to have them joined together in the cottage!


And last but certainly not least, she sent along some fabric that she thought might match the color scheme and wallpapers. She nailed it! Look forward to seeing cushions, pillows and bedding soon!

And most exciting of all, Elizabeth said that she's still working on Villa Leone, and in spite of some battles, will post some progress soon. I'm looking so forward to that!

Thank you so much Elizabeth, for your generosity, thoughtfulness, kindness and most especially your friendship. I value that above all!

xo xo,
Jodi

46 comments:

  1. Wow! They are so beautiful and neat and tiny! She is a sweetheart that is for sure, and extremely talented. I am looking forward to seeing these in the cottage soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to that, too Shannon! She absolutely spoiled me with amazing treasures!

      Delete
  2. Oh, my goodness! How absolutely lovely! Elizabeth is such a kind, generous and talented person. The Storybook Cottage will certainly be well-stocked. I really love the pitcher and flowers. I've honestly never seen such realistic miniature flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I am bowled over by Elizabeth's flowers, these were apparently done by the same miniaturist, Carmen, that made the pitcher. Miniature Flowers on Etsy, though she does not currently have any listings. Elizabeth's are just as wonderful, imo.

      Delete
  3. Aww this is so sweet! I just can't get over how perfectly these fit with your cottage theme, Elizabeth certainly curated a beautiful little collection. Sometimes it's fun knowing your minis are going to a more suitable home where they can shine! Can't wait to see what you do with the fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did! She knew exactly the feel I am trying to achieve and sent amazing things which are perfectly suited! I hope I can make the most out of that generous fabric, though my sewing skills need a lot of practice!

      Delete
  4. Oh! That's so incredibly lovely of her! She's always so encouraging and helpful and her tutorials are wonderful to read and use.

    Our mini community is always amazing to me with how generous and helpful everyone is. So often everything is considered a competition but not with minis. Seriously, you guys make me cry you're so kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Sheila! Like the miniatures themselves, the kind and true folks in our community are a respite from the real world. If we all try to be a little more like Elizabeth, imagine the love!

      Delete
  5. How lovely! She is such a thoughtful and generous person in her gifts and comments. Jodi, you are as well, and I am so happy you received such a neat gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! You are also one of the kind creed, and I thank you for your lovely comment!

      Delete
  6. How incredible sweet of Elizabeth. So generous and thoughtful, always sharing her wonderful ideas and always encouraging with her kind words. I look at the perfume bottles, each one of them is an inspiring tutorial. Enjoy all these treasures.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truer words have never been spoken, Drora! You are also one of our most kind and generous members, a treasure in and of yourself! A perfume bottle tutorial from Elizabeth would also be a treasure!

      Delete
  7. What an incredible generous and beautiful gift, all just perfect for the cottage.
    I am in awe of people like Elizabeth and no least yourself Jodi, for the amount of mini 'stuff' you produce but more so for always taking the time to share your progress and mini meanderings.
    Anna xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! So very sweet of you to include me in with the likes of Elizabeth, Anna! For my part, I am compelled to share because bearing the excitement all by myself would be too much! So you see, it is all of you who share, enjoy and encourage who are gifts to me each day!

      Delete
  8. It gives me the Greatest Pleasure that you are enjoying the Scent Bottles Jodi and I THANK YOU (one and all) for your Very Kind and Generous comments as well as for your Marvellous photos Jodi! :D

    But although I can take credit for the scent bottles and the cakes; the FLORAL PITCHER & the Beautiful Full-blown ROSES were BOTH made by Carmen of DOLLHOUSE FLOWERS on Etsy.

    I'm quite certain that Carmen would find it just as Great a Compliment as I do, to know that her Miniature Flowers will soon be featured in your Amzaing Storybook Cottage.
    and I Thank You again Jodi, for letting my work play a very small part in it too!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I speak only the truth, and you are THE BEST!

      Carmen's flowers are exquisite, but so are yours! :O)

      It is an honor to have your work become a part of this incredible Storybook tale!

      Delete
  9. Hello Jodi,
    Elizabeth is a true lady and a class act all the way. Her comments and encouragement have meant so much to so many of us. What incredible surprises you got. The perfume bottles, and everything else, are all gorgeous and will be perfect in your amazing cottage. How wonderful when 2 mini-geniuses meet!
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, you're making me blush, Giac! Elizabeth is kind and talented and amazing, and so are you! Your encouraging and genuine comments lift so many of us! Because you are an incredible artisan, but still take time to bolster those of us who are striving to be, you make us all better!
      Big, hearty, genuine hugs right back to you, my friend!

      Delete
  10. Like you I am thrilled that Elizabeth visits my blog and leaves such kind thoughts when she does. Her gifts are so carefully chosen and perfect for the feel of your cottage what a wonderful (giant) mini chum. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it, Marilyn! Now, not to hijack this thread, but where have you been? We've missed seeing Dalton House and seeing what you're working on!

      Delete
  11. How delightful! A mini friend is the best kind to have :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people that we can truly connect with are so rare to find. So when you do, treasure them and tell them!

      Delete
  12. Estoy totalmente de acuerdo con la descripción que has hecho de Elisabeth. Todos los regalos son maravillosos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel! ¡Me siento tan afortunado de haber recibido una increíble variedad de increíbles minis hechas por una persona maravillosa

      Delete
  13. Hello, Jodi - What an uplifting post! Thank you for sharing all these beautiful gifts from Elizabeth. She is truly thoughtful and generous, not to mention her wonderful and varied talents. I'm always very appreciative of the community of miniaturists out there in "mini-land," and this expression of Elizabeth's caring friendship is one of the many reasons to value - and cherish - those connections. It will be a pleasure to watch for some of these treasures to appear in your Storybook Cottage - a perfect and enchanting home for them!
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marjorie, for making your own special contributions to our community with unique, inspiring and imaginative projects, and for your intuitive and supportive observations!

      Delete
  14. Hi Jodi! What a "sweet" gift!!! Elizabeth is such an amazing blog-friend!!! I adore her minis and her blog is always filled with awesome ideas and techniques! The items she sent to you look just perfect for this cottage! She has great "taste" as well.... those cookies and cakes are making me drool! LOL! I guess this is another post that whets our appetites for more of your delicious, divine, tea-party all the time Cottage!!! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy - her blog has inspired so many of us, and her generosity, too! The cookies and cakes look good enough to eat, and I am drooling, too! It will be so much fun to set up preparations for a tea party in the cottage, and you are invited!

      Delete
  15. They have wonderful details!
    Looking forward to seeing them in your scenes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audra! I am looking forward to that part, too!

      Delete
  16. I never expected to get so wrapped up--enthralled--obsessive--addicted to miniatures. I am enjoying watching you work, as well as the other blogs that I follow. Elizabeth's generosity and kindness reflects the sort of community that we belong to. You not only have lovely things to add to your little houses, but they become treasured memories, making your houses even more cherished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Ann! It's so surprising how satisfying making and playing with tiny things can be! And, I am so grateful that there are so many miniaturists out there that blog and/or Instagram to inspire and provoke ideas in us! I am so glad you're here on the cottage journey with me, and love seeing your comments! :O)

      Delete
  17. What a sweet gift! Elizabeth is such an inspiration! It doesn't surprise me that she knows the perfect colours, she has such an excellent eye for miniature design.
    I am looking forward to seeing her progress on Villa Leone and of course to seeing your beautiful cottage decorated with these beautiful miniatures.

    Hugs,
    Véronique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronique - I can't wait for both, too! :O)

      Delete
  18. Un gran regalo de Elizabeth, totalmente de acuerdo contigo, sus entradas son siempre fantásticas, es un placer para la vista ver su trabajo como es un placer ver también los tuyos. Besos:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa Maria por tus encantadores comentarios! ¡Me siento bendecido de tener amigos de blog tan maravillosos y talentosos!

      Delete
  19. Oh my word, what a spoil! Everything you said about ElizabethS is true, I'm wild about her work, and always feel like I've been blessed by the queen when she leaves a comment on my blog.
    You are going to have so much fun incorporating all those goodies into the Storybook Cottage.
    Now all I'd like to know is where Elizabeth found the time to make so many wonderful minis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! "blessed by the queen" is so true, or the first lady! I hope the way I display them will do them justice! I think she had some time due to a disagreement that her and Villa Leone were having, but I understand they have come to an accord and are moving forward!

      Delete
  20. You are a very lucky girl, those gifts are stunning!! just perfect for your new house. You are right, Elizabeth is very generous sharing her knowledge and amazing talent. I love her work, and yours too, so this will be a fantastic combination! Cannot wait to see how you display them :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Alex! I hope my cottage ends up being worthy of such incredible minis from Elizabeth!

      Delete
  21. Looks like Christmas is really early in your part of the world… My, Elizabeth has spoiled you rotten, she knew for sure how to please you. But you already found wonderful words about her and I was non-stop-nodding while reading what you've said about this incredible lady. She's for sure an outstanding miniature artist and an inspiration. Enjoy your treasures, I'm already looking forward to see them in your wonderful cozy cottage.

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! I do feel spoiled, and loved more than I deserve! Elizabeth really did shower me with gifts!

      Delete
  22. Wow! What a haul! Elizabeth is a masterful miniaturist and a wonderful friend to the community, as are you my dear friend. I'm so glad she has contributed these wonders to your cottage. Everything and I mean everything she sent is absolutely darling and will be ideal for the cottage. You two as a collaboration is a mini power play! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! You are far too kind for my part, but I am so very lucky that Elizabeth's generosity was directed my way! Each little thing is even more wonderful in person!

      Delete
  23. What a kind and generous heart! Looking forward to seeing these beauties displayed in the cottage.

    Hugs,
    Teresa
    beaconhilldollhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Me too, Teresa! I am so excited to play with everything! Elizabeth is just amazing at so many things, and kindness is surely one of them!

    ReplyDelete