When last I posted, I was thinking about popping out a dormer on the back roof to maximize the limited usable space in the upstairs. Well, the thinking turned into doing, and now I believe I have a functional floor plan!
I began by staring again, at the back roof, for a long time, until finally I understood the solution. I wanted to maintain the roof line of the gables on either end, so by slicing out a middle section I could keep the gables and have my dormer.
Left at this angle, it would have made for interesting architecture on a more modern structure.
But to keep with the cottage-y feel, I cut down the new dormer wall to get an angle more in keeping with cottage style.
Then it was just a matter of making another template from paper to get the right angles for the side walls.
The new MicroLux table saw that Russ gave me for my birthday, as well as the trusty Dremel scroll saw, has made quick work of all these cuts! The 1/8" basswood pieces are easy by hand with the grain, a little more difficult against the grain, but the kit plywood seems to have petrified! I would have given up trying if not for the power tools!
With the dormer finished, the next thing to tackle on my list was the interior walls. I started with the wall that divides the living and dining rooms from the kitchen, replicating the rounded doorway. The appliance stand ins lead me to believe that my resident will have a nice and functional kitchen space.
Next up was the wall that divides the bedroom from the bathroom upstairs. With more usable floor space and a new vertical wall, the bathroom seems totally adequate for a small cottage.
The bedroom will also have more usable space than I had hoped for! The captain's bed that came with the kit is super cute, full of awesome finishing potential, and fits the space perfectly!
There is even room for a dresser and a comfy chair on either side of the bathroom door!
So with these final additions, the structural changes are completed, and I can begin the priming and finishing of surfaces! I think...
Thank you all for the lovely comments and encouragement during the first phase of this project! I hope, like the beginning, it's going to have a Storybook ending! :O)