Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Reaching For The Bottom Of The Sinks

When last I shared my mini adventures, I was getting ready to finish the countertops for the sinks/vanities. I had some fun experimenting with them, a little success and one method that is still to be determined as to whether it bears fruit.


The first method was adapted from Kris' tutorial posted on her One Inch Minis blog. My supplies differed a bit from those she suggested, but they were similar enough that I was able to make the marble happen. I was able to find the brand of glazing medium she suggested, but could not find the PermEnamel Satin Glaze. Instead, I used Golden Acrylic Glazing Medium because it was the only satin finish glaze I could find. In the end, it was really flat so I applied a final coat of satin varnish instead. Also, my charcoal pencils are really charcoal vines. I just broke off a piece to work with, and shaved a point into the end with a razor blade. I practiced a bit to get the feel of the charcoal before starting on the actual countertops. That helped, and I do really like the results.


The next "stone" type finish I tried was faux granite. I watched some YouTube videos on how to do faux granite on real life counters, then just shrunk down the method. I wanted a variety of colors, so I had black, white, grays, tans and glazing medium squirted out on a paper plate. I just dabbed on different colors with the sponge, picking up the glazing medium along with the paint as I went. I did several different layers, letting the paint dry, coating it with glazing medium, letting that dry and repeating until I achieved some depth. I finished it off by sealing with a good coat of Triple Thick. My photos don't do them justice. I am really happy with the effect.


While waiting for layers to dry, I sprayed several coats of gloss white onto the various sinks. I did not have ideal spray painting weather. The garage was so cold - even with the space heater, that the paint was taking forever to dry. So after each coat of paint I would bring the whole pant booth into the house. Gave myself one heck of a migraine with the fumes, but that's the kind of thing that happens when you push to make progress!


I also painted and/or installed hardware to all of the little doors and drawers, painted the vanities themselves (only two of them with spray paint), and added drain pipes and drains to the sinks when they had finally dried.


One of the other countertop experiments was to try for quartz. My first method is taking days to dry and become clear, so I will have a later update on that. Essentially, I was attempting to "float" Diamond Dust into the glaze to create sparkle. My next quartz experiment will involve Triple Thick and white or silver glitter. I'll let you know how that goes, too.






The ones above were the Bespaq pieces. It was fun to try the different finishes, taps and sinks with each one.




The above were made based on one of Sam's inspiration photos.


And above is the one Sam chose for her San Franciscan Basement bathroom.


This one is nearly ready to be assembled - just need to decide whether the top should be shiny or satin before adding all the plumbing. What do you think?

I am going to make a mirror, candle, vase with flowers, basket/s, towels and soap pump for each one, so there is still a good deal of work left before I can call this sink adventure complete. I am madly itching to break open a new kit and do something completely cute, so I hope the end comes soon!

I hope you find something inspiring from this journey, and that you make the time to play!

xo xo,
Jodi

38 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Jodi! These are all so fabulous! Your marble technique is gorgeous!!! Loving your granites as well! My absolute favourite is the black cabinet with the marble top and bowl sink. So stylish! If I had more room in the bathroom I'd be begging you to sell me that one! :P Of course I'd still want mine as well.. So greedy! Lol... I really love how you've made my random inspiration picture come to life in miniature. I think it perfectly fits the slightly masculine & industrial feel I'm going for in that room. I'm so appreciative you have built me a custom Hippler! I know its going to b the real star of the room. I better lift my game and get back to painting! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam! I am so happy that you like them. It is always fun to challenge yourself, and your inspiration photo did just that! Learning which materials really work well together, finding tiny fittings and fixtures, and playing with finishes is a huge learning curve. I hope in future posts to share everything and save you the trial and tribulation so you can get right to making the goods.
      It will be such a hoot to know that we collaborated on your SF's basement vanity, and I am honored that you wanted me to make it for you!

      Delete
  2. Bravo! And thanks for all the invormation... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to pass on the knowledge, Marion! And I thank you for so much inspiration, as well!

      Delete
  3. Oh my! This has been so educational. Your techniques are fantastic, I am having such a great time reading and learning from you Thank you Jodi. I cannot pick a favourite one, they are all gorgeous and stylish, love, love, love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex! It makes me happy that my experimentation has been educational for you, and I hope you get some great results when you explore them!

      Delete
  4. HOKY SMOKES! These sinks could pass for the full-sized ones in any home improvement magazine! I can't believe the level of professionalism you've managed to achieve with the various surface finishes AND they are ALL AMAZING! They have literally Blown My Socks OFF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) Thank you, Elizabeth! It's been an intensive course, but one I hope we will all benefit from. Now that I have been through the trial and error with all the elements that make them, I can share the lessons and tutorials with the next set. I may need a bit of a sink break to do something different, though!

      Delete
  5. Simply amazing! The marble and granite tops look fantastically real life size.
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drora! I am glad you found inspiration and I am sure you will use it to make us all swoon seeing the flower shop come to life!

      Delete
  6. Love them all but especially love the white marble finish. I can feel its coolness and imagine its weight, caprured it perfectly. M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! It was such a relief to know it was not only do-able, but really pretty easy to get the hang of. I hope you'll give it a try!

      Delete
  7. Hello Jodi,
    All the sink units are fantastic. They are incredibly realistic and perfectly finished. I think your stone finishes are spot on. It really feels like layered minerals just like the real thing. I repeat fantastic! In regards to the last picture, I always like a shiny stone surface for a bathroom or kitchen counter. Keep up the amazing work.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Giac! Your words make me feel as though my project has gotten an "A"!
      Thank you also for the recommendation for "shiny". That is what I will go with!

      Delete
  8. I can't pick which one I like best! But that marble! Wow! I really like your granite too and I'm so curious about how your quartz will come out.

    Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I am glad you like them and I hope you will try them! Maybe a soapstone counter or table top for the queen? I think the granite method would work well for that, just less color variance and less spotty?

      Delete
  9. ¡Wooo todos fanáticos! increíble la variación que has hecho. Feliz fin de semana:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Rosa Maria! Me alegra que te gusten. Espero que tengas un fin de semana maravilloso, también!

      Delete
  10. The marble countertops are very realistic and look great. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Jodi, these all look fantastic. Very elegant and sophisticated whilst maintaining vintage appeal. I love the marble effect. Will stow that idea for next time I need to make a marble look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon! I think you would really enjoy the marble process - I hope you do try it!

      Delete
  12. I love the effect you achieved with the charcoal, it looks great. Thank you for sharing the results of your experimentation, it's interesting to see what each material looks like 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pepper! It is a challenge finding a good method to replicate life in 1:12th scale, but when you find something that works for you, it feels so great! I'm glad you like the marble!

      Delete
  13. I remember seeing Kris's marble tutorial and wanting to try it. Thanks for the reminder. Your counters turned out fantastically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keli! The nice thing with the charcoal is, if you don't like where it's going, it's easy to wipe off and start again. Not "ruining" and having to start from scratch is such a pleasant experience!

      Delete
    2. I hadn't thought of that. Wonderful.

      Delete
  14. Están sensacionales todos ellos. El mármol me encanta y es algo que algún día quiero probar.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Marian. También amo el mármol, y este método fue bastante fácil de entender. Espero que lo pruebes, ¡porque estoy seguro de que amarás tus resultados!

      Delete
  15. Hi Jodi, Those marble top sinks with their fixtures? Just so jaw dropping luxurious! And I really like the drawer pulls you've picked on all the designs. I'm anxiously waiting to hear how the quartz experiment goes, if it works I think it will be so clever! I feel like marble has been really trendy in miniature lately and quartz would be ahead of the curve style wise ;) You're going to start a new trend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristine! I know you know how much fun (and what a challenge) it is to try and recreate real life in miniature. I really hope the quartz ideas work, at least one of the methods, and then we'll have even more options.
      I have always loved marble, but quartz is so pretty, too. My dream kitchen is all white traditional cabinets with marble countertops, but unless they come with an on call maid, I'll have to keep dreaming! :O)

      Delete
  16. Ooooohhhh that Granite top is gorgeous!!! You have really been getting to the "bottom" of these sinks! LOL! I think your process of trying all those possible options is amazing.... all lined up and Finished!!! I would end up half way done with the first few while one needed mini mosaic tiles or some such crazy idea.... ooops did I just have that crazy idea.... hmm ... where will I put that.... okay.... okay.... Thanks Jodi for the inspiration ! LOL!!! (And for showing your methods too.... I learn a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I know what you mean - staying focused on the sink experimenting has been a challenge. Now that I am on to the accessories, I am starting to think about getting on to another dollhouse. The New Orleans is calling... At least I'll be able to take what I've learned with these, and hopefully, make more interesting sinks/vanities in the future. I had 13 other sinks/vanities planned for experimentation, but I need a break, lol!

      Delete
  17. They look really good, Jodi. I'm especially impressed with your marble effect. I've only ever made marble tops by blending and rolling out polymer clay in many layers. This looks so good, I have to try as well. Thanks for the link to the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan - the marble was surprisingly easy and pleasantly successful! I hope you do give it a try because you're sure to be happy with your results, too! I tried polymer clay counters (solid coffee colored) in the Starbucks store, and the marble method used here was MUCH easier! :O)

      Delete
  18. That blue one is inspired, though they are all fabu! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brae! 16 was soooo many to take on at once, but what can you do when you want to try Everything!?! I have learned to take smaller bites through this whole sink experience!

      Delete