Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Friday, July 10, 2015

Fun Little Project...



In between dealing with all of the technical issues this week, I managed to finish up a fun little project!

This is the tub/shower that will go into the retirement barn. I like rustic living, but there's no harm in having a few modern conveniences, too!

This unit measures just 5-3/8" wide x 6-1/2" tall.




The MBS kit was fun, although since I needed to make it a freestanding unit I had to get a little creative. The kit comes with adhesive sheets. You're supposed to stick them to each of the three tile wall panels, then affix them to the dollhouse walls. Since I have no walls ready yet, I had to use clear packaging tape to make all the walls into one unit.



Gluing the tub to the walls was challenging. I made a couple of stacked wood braces for the underside ends of the tub so I'd have a better gluing surface. I did one end at a time and made sure the epoxy was fully set before I moved on.






The shower faucet, tub spigot and mixing valve were included in the kit but were an ugly grey color. I coated them with flat black enamel and then gave them an aged bronze finish coat. It did not come with the drain unit or the soap dish. I made the drain from a jewelry finding.








The shower curtain is made from an old placemat. I've had it for years, and it had a couple of mustard stains on it! The pattern and weave were right, though, so it took one for the team. It was two pieces with batting in the middle, so I used a seam ripper to separate the pieces, then in true OCD mode, pulled all the batting from the fabric.






I was able to find an area without stains for the shower curtain. I cut the piece I needed, then ironed the seams flat. I used fabric glue to affix the seams. I ironed pleats evenly in the fabric, made a small hole with the seam ripper, then inserted a jump ring into the center of each flat area between the pleats. This is so the shower curtain can slide across the shower curtain rod.





The shower curtain rod is a piece of 1/8" dowel cut to size. The parts that hold the curtain rod ends to the tile are just bead caps. I sanded them down then painted them the same as the shower hardware.







It was nice to have a little reprieve from the electronic issues, and now I can move on to the wall treatments in the bedroom and kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment