Friday, January 8, 2016

A Bit Of The Boring With A Sprinkle Of Tedium...

I was emailing with an internet friend and telling her that I was working on Alki Point doing really boring stuff and that I probably wasn't going to blog about it. She reminded me that even in the mundane, there are warnings, tricks and lessons for others. So okay - hope someone gets something out of this!

Remember the wall that I made to separate the bedroom and bathroom? You know, the one I purposely left a channel in so that I could run the wires for the Shapeways lamps through it to the outside wall where it would be hidden by the siding and tie into the roof piece containing all of the wiring that will be removable? Whuuuuuuuuuuuaaa (deep breath in). Well, I glued the dang wall in thinking I could fish the wires through to the outside. No problem, right? Optimism is often my downfall...


It was not going to work, so, after gently ripping out the wall and scraping off the glue residue, I used a piece of 20 gauge copper wire with the electrical wire tied to the end and forced it through to the end for both lamps before I had to re-glue the wall in place (now tethered with wires) and get it clamped before it misaligned and left glue in all the wrong places. Whhhhhhuuuuuaaaa (another deep breath in)...


Wires through, taped in place, lamp bulbs checked, lit up nicely, crisis managed, all is well that ends well! Thank goodness!






Now for baseboards... Measured, cut (used this saw I got for my birthday - it's awesome) sanded, painted, sanded, painted, sanded, painted, rubbed with paper lunch bag, installed (all but front wall, more on that later).



Installed "net art" which is a leftover net painted white to represent monotone texture/sculpture kind of thing although I am nearly completely uneducated about what "art" is so I am guessing here that it actually is art or at least in my mini world it can be. Whhhhhhuuuuuaaaa (another deep breath in). Notice the tape holding it in place while drying because it is not flat on the back and there were very few actual points of contact where the glue met the wall.




Bed, nightstands, lamps, baskets glued in place now (still trying to muster "pillow courage"). Baseboards visible...






Glass buoy on coffee table recovered in hemp twine (didn't like the look of the fish net. If it bothers you, get rid of it!). Rug and sofa "permanently" installed. Baseboards visible...




Over the weekend, hope to get plexi and trim installed on the front wall, then affix to structure... Or maybe lie in bed with the hubs and catch all of the NFL playoff games with naps in between. We'll see... It's the weekend - do what you like!

Happy Friday my friends!