- My Mini Journey...
- Auntie Jackie's Potting Shed
- The RGT Barn Bash
- Encounters Gifts & Grub
- Starbucks, Pike Place
- Dad's Fishing Cabin Lamp
- Mom's Beach Cottage Lamp
- The Tasting Room, Post Alley
- Alki Point
- The New Orleans
- Pike Place Fish Co.
- The Life and Times of Gertrude
- My Shapeways Store
- Shabby Chic Soap Shop
- HBS Creatin' Contest 2016
- Easy 1/12th Scale Vegetable Tutorial
Friday, July 10, 2015
Fun Little Project...
In between dealing with all of the technical issues this week, I managed to finish up a fun little project!
This is the tub/shower that will go into the retirement barn. I like rustic living, but there's no harm in having a few modern conveniences, too!
This unit measures just 5-3/8" wide x 6-1/2" tall.
The MBS kit was fun, although since I needed to make it a freestanding unit I had to get a little creative. The kit comes with adhesive sheets. You're supposed to stick them to each of the three tile wall panels, then affix them to the dollhouse walls. Since I have no walls ready yet, I had to use clear packaging tape to make all the walls into one unit.
Gluing the tub to the walls was challenging. I made a couple of stacked wood braces for the underside ends of the tub so I'd have a better gluing surface. I did one end at a time and made sure the epoxy was fully set before I moved on.
The shower faucet, tub spigot and mixing valve were included in the kit but were an ugly grey color. I coated them with flat black enamel and then gave them an aged bronze finish coat. It did not come with the drain unit or the soap dish. I made the drain from a jewelry finding.
The shower curtain is made from an old placemat. I've had it for years, and it had a couple of mustard stains on it! The pattern and weave were right, though, so it took one for the team. It was two pieces with batting in the middle, so I used a seam ripper to separate the pieces, then in true OCD mode, pulled all the batting from the fabric.
I was able to find an area without stains for the shower curtain. I cut the piece I needed, then ironed the seams flat. I used fabric glue to affix the seams. I ironed pleats evenly in the fabric, made a small hole with the seam ripper, then inserted a jump ring into the center of each flat area between the pleats. This is so the shower curtain can slide across the shower curtain rod.
The shower curtain rod is a piece of 1/8" dowel cut to size. The parts that hold the curtain rod ends to the tile are just bead caps. I sanded them down then painted them the same as the shower hardware.
It was nice to have a little reprieve from the electronic issues, and now I can move on to the wall treatments in the bedroom and kitchen!