I have been completely engrossed in working on the Creatin' Contest build for the last couple weeks, but nothing was "done" enough to share. Now, I have so much to share that if I talked about every step this post would be super long! I'll just put some captions on the photos and write whenever anything needs explaining...
*** Note: I am taking photos with an iPhone 5s - not the greatest way to capture clear, sharp photos of miniatures. Add to that my lighting. I have a 5 arm chandelier which has 5 bright white LED bulbs installed. This is great for seeing what you are working on - a vast improvement over the 60 watt clear bulbs I was stuck with for nearly four years. BUT, they confuse the poor iPhone camera. Some things I focus on become way too washed out while the background is often dark and hard to make out details. I try to do the best I can editing the photos, but there again my tools are only marginal. I apologize for the photo quality, and would welcome any advice on a great, affordable digital camera for minis, and an affordable and user friendly editing software.
Now on to the not so great photos...
|Prepping the exterior trim for spray painting. I am fortunate to have an insulated and heated garage so can pretty much spray paint all year round.|
|Prepping the diamond speed shingles to be spray painted. What a huge time saver this is!|
|I used the Rustoleum stone spray with the texture. It takes a few coats and smells like petroleum but really leaves a nice asphalt looking result. Don't be freaked by the curling - overnight they all laid flat again.|
|They were really quick and easy to install with Quick Grip. With the human eye, there is not so much variance in the coloring as it looks in the photo. It actually looks really natural.|
|The inside has turned into a catch-all while I work on the exterior. Who's the piggy now?|
|With the roofing done, I could finally install the chimney! I am still working on my caulking skills, but will save the amendments for when I do the final touch ups.|
|Using some of the shelf kit parts, I combined it with a larger piece of wood to make the piggies bath shelf. I spray painted them in the same trim color, then added three hooks - one for each pig.|
|I painted the pigs initials - one for Bob, Joe and Sam. These will indicate on the bath shelf whose towel and bath pouf is whose.|
|Using a low quality baby washcloth, I cut the towels - one for each of them. I painted on some watered down Elmer's glue, arranged them into shape, held the tops with a little clamp, then let them dry overnight.|
|I wish I had remembered to take photos of the reaction and end substance. I promise I will in a future post.|
|So pretty! I want more!!!|
|Nothing says 'this is a happy home' like a welcoming bunch of colorful flowers!|
|I really had just enough in the end. Next time I order kits, I'll add 20% more than I think I might need!|
|The little house mailbox even looks better with it's added landscaping!|
|Small brick patio with tomato pots, fertilizer and a galvanized watering can.|
|Just enough vegetables to be put up for winter!|
|Here is where the 12v pronged cord will plug in. Once the brown paint has been added, it will blend right in.|
Have an awesome and relaxing weekend, my friends! I plan to start mine thinking about all of the wonderful things that I am grateful for!