Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Monday, December 7, 2015

Quick Cost Saving Tip For Stainless Steel Handles & Legs

I'm up to my elbows reorganizing my work space today. It's funny how much mess you can create just trying to get a better handle on all of your "stuff". The mail came, and in it some little treasures I've been waiting for. What a welcomed opportunity to take a break and share a "find" that I found last week...

I was putting together the mini refrigerator and oven front kits from Elf miniatures. Included in both kits were handles. Just square stainless steel rod cut to the appropriate length. I looked at it and thought it would be really handy to have some of it around to make my own cabinet handles, pulls and furniture legs.



I began looking at metal stock on MicroMark and other hobby suppliers. I was disappointed in the selection, and offended by the prices! Necessity and being thrifty are the mother of thinking outside the box for mini resources. So I began my effort to find the perfect metal for a much more reasonable price.

Enter eBay, and what they call Steel Key Stock. It is stainless, even more nicely finished than the Elf handle material, and it's only $3.71 for 5 (five) 1/8" x 1/8" x 12" pieces! One stick of this stuff can cost up to $7.00 through hobby retailers! Plus, they are zinc coated to help keep it from corroding over time. That means it stays shiny and modern looking!



I ordered it on 12/1 and got it in today's mail. not too bad at all! I have not had an opportunity to cut it yet - I am thinking my little hacksaw or coping saw will do the job, but I will definitely let you know.



Here's the link to the eBay seller I purchased through. He's got other sizes, too.

If any of you have info to add or better material or resources, please let me know! I'll update the post!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Elbey - that's odd. Shipping to the UK is just like shipping here. I found this seller, he ships worldwide. He is more expensive, but still reasonable, I think:

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEY-STOCK-3-16-X-3-16-STEEL-12-INCHES-LONG-4-PIECES-60519-/172018427433?hash=item280d18e629:g:EiAAAOSwfZ1WYLCD

      Thanks so much for letting me know!
      Jodi

      Delete
  2. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    My husband is a locksmith. He's going to be very sorry you told me about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...wait....it's not that kind of key stock.

    Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it is!!! My hubs is the boss of a group of maintenance men and locksmiths. He said "why didn't you tell me" when he read the post. I really have to stop being so independent!

      Delete