Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Finishing Touches



It's the little details that make me want to become 5-1/2 inches tall and live in my little projects. Pillows, plants, books, sculpture, photos all draw me in and make me want to stay awhile...

Today, I managed to carve out a little time from the busy day to add a few final touches to the barn's living room. Namely, rugs and curtains.

I think I posted before about the printable fabric I purchased from Amazon a while back. Avery makes one, too, but this one came with 10 sheets instead of 5, and was a little less pricey. Currently, it is just over $9, and if you have Amazon Prime there is free 2 day shipping. So far, I really like it!






I had read a thread somewhere that it was nice for making mini rugs. I thought I'd give it a try, and I am very pleased with the results! I was able to fit one 8"x5" and four 2"x3" rugs on one sheet. I set the coloration on my Cannon printer to a 10% increase in the saturation, and I really like how well the color and the detail shows through.







Here is the smaller door mat sized rug. I read also that someone makes velour printer paper. The original link to the site showed that the web site was no longer in existence. I did a Google search, and found a web site 'Across The Pond', but nothing closer to home. Amazon did have an Epson paper that says it is velvet artists paper, but I am not too sure that is what I am looking for. $21 is a little more risk than I am willing to take on a project.






I was avoiding the curtains for a while in hopes that I would come up with something brilliant for the awkward living room window. No cleaver ideas whatsoever have come to me, so I am just going with the same style and material that I employed for the loft windows.









I needed a rod (prestained dowel - check), and rod holders. In the loft windows they are set far back so the rod is just glued to the frames. This window is totally visible so I needed something better.

I had these leftover trim pieces from some old dollhouse furniture that I bashed, so after a little Xacto work and some sanding, they'll work perfect!


I made some measurements, cut the fabric out, ironed a hem in, cut away the excess fabric, then used fabric glue to glue them.












I waited a while for the glue to dry, attached them to the rod, added ties and hung them up.



I think (I may add more photos to the wall) this living room is getting close to being Ta-Done!