For Christmas 2013 I had made dollhouses that were also lamps for both my parents. Dad's was a fishing cabin made from a kit I'd had for a couple years called Lisa's Country Cottage (can't believe I didn't take a photo). Mom's was the Charming Cottage kit from the 2013 HBS Creatin' Contest. It turned out to be her dream beach cottage.
And so it begins... Sanding, priming, sanding again, paint, wallpaper, tile, glue, forget to eat, lose all sense of time... In other words, HEAVEN!
So after I'd affixed the wallpaper, I measured and cut bead board (actually corrugated card stock leftover from making blinds in the little beach cottage). Then I measured and cut the baseboard, chair rail trim, window and door trim and the crown molding. I did a light initial sanding down with a paper lunch bag, then primed all the pieces.
I added a trim piece to the interior window seal so there'd be space for some delightful little mini items!
I've never tried the egg carton tile or brick idea before, but taking chances is part of the fun of working in miniature (as opposed to experimenting in real life). So, I've laid out the pattern and glued them down to the porch. This afternoon I'll be experimenting with getting just the right paint colors on them. I might try some artists chalk too, to help vary the color.
According to Connie at My Miniatures, after they are painted and sealed you just grout them like other tile work. Wish me luck!
Between the drying times, I figured out and assembled the light sconces for the inside, and repaired and old exterior light that's been floating around in a drawer for a couple years.
I got out the mini spray booth (an old box from a pair of boots), and turned some icky brass fixtures into wrought iron, and some plastic junk drawer items into enamel flower pots and galvanized looking buckets,
I was rummaging through my desk drawer a couple weeks ago, and came across some little black rubber pieces. For the life of me I have no idea what they were for and why they ended up in the drawer. The great thing tho was that as I pulled them out of the drawer a tiny gate remote control battery had gotten stuck in the end of one. I immediately thought GARDEN HOSE SPRAYER! A piece of an old Chrysnbon stove kit, a shrink tube, a bead finding and some green wire later and now I have a wonderful garden hose!
A screw came out of an old pair of glasses I'd had from several prescriptions ago. I stuck them aside thinking someday they may be useful. As I was making space in by bins I took a closer look at them with my mini eye. Suddenly, I realized I had the perfect garden hose reel, too! It was the piece that sits on your nose. Add to that a scrapbooking plastic scroll work piece painted black and now I'll have a fancy and more realistic looking reel and hose for FREE!
I painted the porch in a linen color, then began to cut up the egg carton to make the pieces for the tiles.
I noticed that a lot of the potting sheds I looked at on Pinterest to get ideas had metal channel roofing. I liked the look, so adding 1/8x1/8 strip wood to the roof gave me just what I was after.
Intermittently I am working on the plants, planters and flowers. Very soon now I am going to be able to start loading in and gluing down treasures. Since Jackie's birthday isn't until June, I'll get a little time to enjoy this little beauty before it leaves for California!
Auntie Jackie's Potting Shed is almost completed. Just a little touch up here and there and it will be finished.
I'm always really happy to see the vision in my head come to life, but it's a little sad, too, because I've so enjoyed actually working on the project. Sometimes I feel like the creativity is being channeled through me from some unknown source, and when the project comes to an end, I never know when that source will flow through me again.