Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, April 29, 2021

Tasha's Kitchen: Just Read The Signs

It all started with a need to cover the wiring on the back of Tasha's room box and a need to store all of the tiny décor and seasonal items that go with her kitchen when they are not in use. A menu board sign seemed perfect, especially if I could find a way to attach a few spice tins. They would provide a safe storage solution and fit great with the theme.  I wanted to make the entire back surface a framed magnet sheet, but none of the magnetic sheets I tried were strong enough to hold the tins. :o(  Instead, my solution was to epoxy magnets to the spice tins and affix corresponding ones to the menu board. Not completely ideal, but still a good, functional compromise.




Unfortunately, I made my first attempt at a menu board with scrap oak that Russ brought home for me. Waste not want not and all of that. They were 4" widths, so I just cut them to length and then laminated them together. 



It looked fine with the frame painted blue and a chalkboard finish for the main body. I added Cricut Vinyl lettering to make it look like a chalkboard sign. Things were going well until I decided to seal it by pouring epoxy over it. This was not my idea - I learned about it on a YouTube video. I should have known not to trust it - they only talked about using the epoxy and did not show a demonstration. That should have been a sign.






At first, I poured the epoxy over the top of the sign and tried to move the board around to spread it. That was not going well because it was pretty thick. I got out the blow dryer and tried heating the epoxy to help it flow better. It still didn't want to cover the whole board evenly. Attempting to get it into the corners, other areas spilled over the frame. By the time I admitted it was a disaster, I was a sticky mess! Sticky and frustrated. :o(

I let it sit to cure overnight hoping for a miracle. But no. When it cured, areas of the epoxy separated and left big gaps. It did not pool evenly, and the menu board was fit only for the trash bin. What a lesson to learn the hard way: pouring epoxy is just not my forte! 

This is how it looked after it had cured.

Meanwhile, during the drama, Tasha mentioned over the phone that she needed a coat rack by her front door. She loves the one that Russ and I made when we bought the house. I got the inspiration for it from the Pottery Barn catalog, although mine holds family photos and no coats. I needed a non mini distraction to lick my sticky wounds, so what a wonderful opportunity to make something for her!


She loves all things octopus, diving and sailing, so her house has quite a few décor things with a nautical theme. I found this inspiration coat rack online and then asked Russ to find and cut some scrap lumber for me.

Inspiration Photo

Russ always has the perfect scraps! That's one nice thing
about being married to a hoarder, lol!

It was also lucky that I had a couple jars of chalk paint in my stash that hadn't dried out. They were the perfect beach-y colors for the project. I painted the boards, then sanded to make them look weather distressed.


I found some cute boat cleat and ship anchor hooks on Amazon...


And then added vinyl lettering made on the Cricut. It's about 30" wide.


We're going to deliver and hang it for her this coming weekend. Since it's nothing like mine, I hope she likes it anyway! If not, I'll just have to make her another one, more like mine. :O)

Ande just happened to be here when we were finding the materials. He and Lex made dinner for us - homemade chicken enchiladas! So delicious! I asked him if he needed a coat rack, too. He pointed out that in their loft condo, they really didn't have much wall space. Glad I asked! But he said they did need a place to hang their keys. Apparently, they forget where they set them and lose them quite often! So for them, I made a key holder. :O)

Lex likes fall colors, and I had a lot of them on hand to choose from. Luckily, I was also able to find every piece of wood and trim I needed from my scrap bins. I guess I'm a bit of a hoarder, too!



The wall where their key holder will be hung is painted with chalk paint, so I included a set of liquid chalk markers and a space to store them. Now they can write reminders or love notes to one another!

I added some Cricut lettering, too, with a message and their names. Thug Rose (Rosie) is their puppy. It's so wonderful to be able to make something that will help the kids in some small way!




Believe it or not I am working on yet another "sign" project, This time with our address. You see, when the builder for our development was assigned addresses for the lots, our house was intended to face the cul-de-sac on 200th. Because of the model of house we chose (more wide than long), they turned the house clockwise to the west to better fit the lot. Even though we are on the corner, the front door faces 19th. This leads to much confusion, especially for Door Dash drivers. Even a FedEx driver was so confused that he returned a package back to the distribution center.  We have lived here for 13 years, but this has only recently become an issue. What to do? Create a sign for the side of the house where the front door should be. We need to assist these poor, overworked but very appreciated delivery folk however possible! Russ constructed the boards and trim, and I printed the numbers with the 3D printer. I have already primed the wood, but this weekend I will put a few good coats of exterior enamel on it. Then I can epoxy the address to the sign and hopefully get it hung. I should probably order Door Dash, too, just to make sure it's working, lol! 


And after these successful attempts at sign making, I was ready to try a second menu board for Tasha's Kitchen. This time, I used a solid piece of plywood and Patricia Nimock's Matte Varnish spray instead with perfect results.






I also had a little time to make a flower box for under the window. It attaches with magnets, as well, so it can be easily changed out. I hope to make more of them in the future with flowers for every season. For now, I'll just work on having this one filled with Tasha's favorite flowers for her birthday in July. 





In spite of the disaster, the week turned out to be fun, productive and successful. And we were able to give the kids a little love! Life is good if you just read the signs!

xo xo,

Jodi

43 comments:

  1. Jodi, you had a very productive week by giving your kids a bit of craft-love. It seems that after the fiasco with the board you found a very creative and nice way to regroup. I love all your sign projects, you are very crafty and not only in miniature, great! Love your ideas with the magnets, I recently bought some but so far have not done anything nor I have any brilliant idea to use them, so you may have given me a few. At last all ended well, well, more that that, Tasha´s Kitchen back board is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I hope you find a wonderfully helpful way to use the magnets you have and will share it with all of us!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pieces made with love for your kids. I really like the writings on these pieces.
    Great and original idea the magnets on the back board of Tasha's kitchen and also useful.An extra touch the planter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Storage on back of Tashas room! What a GREAT idea. I will probably be stealing this idea. 😂. I love reading your blogs and getting such wonderful inspirations. Keep up the good work. God bless you and your family 💜💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pgb! I'm glad you like the spice tin idea and I am happy that you can use it in a project, too! Thanks for coming on the adventure!

      Delete
  4. You have really been busy this week. The storage tins are perfect. I've used those little individual plastic storage cups for little things, but never considered spice tins. I also bought some of those tiny magnets, thinking that maybe I could use them as hinges--a youtube thing--but still can't figure it out, so now I have use for them. I do appreciate how you (and other builders) share their mistakes, letting us know what not to do. The shelves are fabulous and so personalized, making them a fun addition to a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! Yes - the tins on Amazon are very affordable when you consider how much boxes and take out containers cost now days. It's nice to see what's inside, and I will cut quilt batting to go inside for a bit of a cushion. Those mini magnets could be employed in lieu of tacky wax if the item and surface have 1 mm to spare. So many great uses!

      Delete
  5. What genius ideas you have, Jodi, love the idea of the spice tins, although the magnetic sheet was not strong enough to hold it. But the way you solved this problem is also genius, it's always a bit disappointing when an original idea is not possible to work out, but that's something we come across in our world and.......have to look for a suitable solution, right?
    But what a pity the epoxy was such a disaster for you, I feel sorry for you, because the idea was so good.
    I love the coat racks, but the nautical themed even more, as I'm born to the seaside too ;). What a good thing Russ had what you wanted in his stash, Russ is truly the perfect hubby for you: being together hoarders *LOL* ;D!! The racks turned out fabulous with the added boat cleat and ship anchor hooks. I'm sure she will like it, Jodi.
    The key holder is wonderful, all are happy now with your gifts!
    Living on the corner of a street is not always handy indeed, we have here the same issue. So, I think the delivery folks will appreciate your sign very much.
    As you can see one thing leads to another, now Tasha's kitchen has profit of all your experimenting, and after making signs.
    The flower box under the window of the kitchen is the cherry on the cake, Jodi, Tasha can even change the flowers in the ones of her liking now, wish I could in real life ;O) *sigh* .
    It's so nice when a disaster trun out into something fun AND productive, so never give up!!
    Stay safe, dear Jodi, take care and have a lovely weekend!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilona! I bet I could have found better magnetic sheet if I were willing to invest more time and $$, but I decided to cut my losses at $12, lol! This method will function just fine and being on the back side of the project, I wasn't overly worried about perfection.
      Glad you like the signs! It is fun that Tasha likes the nautical theme too because it makes it easy to come up with ideas for her.
      I always learn from the mistakes and disasters, so in the rear view mirror they are a blessing. In the moment, I need to get better about remembering that I am being blessed, lol!

      Delete
  6. Has estado muy trabajadora y desde luego te ha servido para coger una buena experiencia. Tus hijas se han debido poner muy contentas.
    Finalmente has conseguido un bonito acabado para la parte trasera de la cocina y también ha sido un acierto la jardinera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel! Me encanta tener la oportunidad de hacer algo personal para mis hijos. ¡Me alegra que te gusten los proyectos de esta semana!

      Delete
  7. Wow! You've been so busy! The signs are just awesome. I love the different styles. The back of the room box came out so well the second time around! And the flower box is so sweet.

    I know she's going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! It was a fun week getting to be creative on a variety of projects!

      Delete
  8. Oh, I love your signs and your kids will be so proud to have them.
    Sorry about the disaster with the magnetic epoxy. Now the back of the kitchen box looks lovely. I love the lettering as well as the addition of the flower box.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! The disaster was a blessing in disguise, and a valuable lesson! It was such a joy getting to make something for the kids! When they grow up and go out on their own it's harder to find opportunities to show them love. This way was a wonderful opportunity to love them and help them solve a problem!

      Delete
  9. What wonderful signs! I love the beachy, nautical one (I can't believe they won't love it, too). The fix for the wiring cover/place to store mini items was inspired. Sorry about the setback you had (I'm sure it was extremely frustrating), but what a beautiful result in the end! Tasha is going to love that kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! In the moment it was frustrating and disappointing. As with most things, in hindsight, it was an opportunity! I hope Tasha does like the coat rack - at least I know it is strong and will hold some very heavy jackets, lol!

      Delete
  10. It's amazing how a small disaster can bring about such an amazing array of creativity! Love all the signs Jodi and the spice tins were a great idea too.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks X! You are right on the money - if we look at things as opportunities instead of problems, we can make the most of them and actually look forward to them when they come around. It was a creative and joyful week of exploration on new things I hadn't done before!

      Delete
  11. Has estado muy creativa Jodi, y los resultados han sido fantásticos ; todos los proyectos realizados me encanta y la idea de la jardinera es genial. Así que los contratiempos olvidados quedándonos con los resultados positivos.
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Rosa Maria! Tienes razón: si no me hubiera quedado estancado en el tablero del menú, es posible que no se me hubiera ocurrido hacer de Tahsa y Ande algo para ayudar a sus necesidades. ¡Me alegro de que todo haya pasado!

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful post - although I really shared your frustration in the beginning. What a pity... but in the end you turned it into a triumph. And perhaps even better - it made you start other things. The pieces you've created for your kids as well as the one for the delivery people are awesome. I have no doubt your daughter and your son as well as their partners will love their gifts and cherish them forever. Imagine how proud they must be when having visitors (some day this will happen again) and can say "Sorry, I can't tell you where to buy it because this is something you can't buy anywhere, you can only receive it as a gift - a gift from my Mom which she created all by herself just for me!" Okay, and not to forget with a little help of a father being a hoarder which makes him the perfect partner to his wife. ;O)

    Your different signs turned out awesome and they show very well what a talented crafter you are. And the back with the storing tins after attempt 2 is terrific, a very clever and also stylish solution. But most of all I like the little but brilliant detail of the changeable flower box. What a great idea to use magnets here... and it adds to the fun as you will be able to create boxes for every season for her.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! Good things come to those who look for the opportunity in everything! It was fun to use up some of our hoard of extra wood and scraps, be creative, employ many crafting methods, stretch my abilities and make something nice and useful for the kids! In other words, messing up that first menu board was such a blessing! I really enjoy making the flower boxes and flowers, too, so even more fun is in store this week!

      Delete
  13. Wow, Jodi - what a wonderful post! It contained lessons to learn, inspiring ideas, beautiful sign projects and a perfect final solution for Tasha's kitchen. What a ride! I love everything about your work this week (and every week, for that matter). I smiled when you mentioned your inspiration for your original sign. I too look through product pictures from Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, Ikea, and other such places, looking for new ideas. I always find so many things to love and want to reproduce in miniature. There are so many sources of inspiration around us every day - including a regular visit to your blog, that I know I will never get bored as long as I am able to work on my minis! Have a great weekend. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! Another favorite catalog is Ballard Designs. Check that one out for amazing inspirations, too!

      Delete
  14. My motto: If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing twice. 🤗 The benefit is that you learn from your mistakes. I love your practical multi-purpose solution. It will be fun to see the little off-season kitchen decor waiting in the tins. What a great diversion when disaster hit. The coat and key racks are so fun, made more so with the signs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrill! So true! The second or third try is usually much improved and makes you happy for the failure of the first!

      Delete
  15. Jodi,me gusta que seas como el ave fénix, hay resurgir de entre las llamas! Si algo sale mal, lo mejor es tomarse un tiempo para que pase el disgusto y volver a intentarlo de otra manera, además tu espacio de tiempo para volver a retomarlo ha sido increíblemente creativo! Esos percheros son geniales!!! Me gustan mucho los percheros, sobre todo si llevan un "guiño" en forma de frase para quien lo recibe o usa, es otra forma de demostrar cariño, los tuyos son fantásticos!
    La idea de las latas sujetas con imanes para almacenamiento es perfecta, me encanta como quedan!
    Gracias por mostrarnos tus trabajos, eres siempre fuente de inspiración y ánimo para seguir creando!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias Pilar! ¡Me alegra saber que te gustan todos los proyectos de esta semana! Es bueno tener todo tipo de proyectos creativos para llevar a cabo, ¡incluso si no siempre son pequeños!

      Delete
  16. Que bonitos detalles has hecho para tus hijos, siempre me han gustado los percheros personalizados.
    Me ha encantado la solución que has creado para las latas de almacenamiento, una idea brillante !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Eloisa! ¡Fue una distracción tan agradable hacer las cosas para los niños mientras me armaba de valor para un segundo intento en el letrero del menú!

      Delete
  17. La jardinera bajo la ventana cambia totalmente el aspecto de la fachada.
    La fachada trasera te ha dado muchos dolores de cabeza pero has conseguido un resultado fantástico.
    Y entre tanto dolor de cabeza surgieron ideas para los letreros maravillosas.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've also learned about pouring epoxy the hard way. It has a tendency to separate from the medium and pool into droplets, and then just when you think it can't get worse, it finds an edge and it seeps over.
    The coat rack is spectacular!!! I hope your daughter loved it.
    The key holder is super duper cute!!! I love the colours and I just know they're going to have much joy from it.
    Did you order Door Dash to see if the sign works? Where I live, there are no street names or house numbers. Although we live 3 kilometers from a shopping center, every delivery company regards us as a rural area and they usually refuse to drive out here. I use my mother's address for deliveries and then have to drive 25km to go and pick up my stuff. Crazy.
    I think exchangeable window boxes are a fantastic idea. I've been thinking of doing something like a pot of daffodils in four various stages from sprouting to dead. It would be fun to swap it out in scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it feels like an old friend that has revealed it's true nature and now you just can't trust it again! I doubt I'll attempt pouring epoxy ever again!!!
      Tasha loved the coat rack and had all of Brent's things hung on it that evening! I am so glad it's going to be useful for her!
      We didn't end up ordering Door Dash last weekend, but then I didn't paint the address sign, either! I got distracted making flowers and before I knew it had all of my work surfaces taken up! Maybe this weekend? :O)
      We used to be considered BFE, but in the last few years our area is building houses and developments like crazy. We have an Amazon distribution center within a mile from us so we get every kind of delivery service now. It's weird!!! I do miss the quiet and the coyotes, though.
      I love your idea for window boxes with daffodils in various stages! My spring flowers were usually dead by August until one spring I finally admitted that I just wasn't a gardener... Yet! :O)

      Delete
  19. They all came out great, good work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome Jodi! You have been busy. All your signs look fabulous, including Tasha’s without the resin! I agree it is hard stuff to get right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! Yes! Lesson learned: Small pours are manageable, big pours are not for me! ;O)

      Delete
  21. Hi Jodi! "It was a 'sign'..." you said...and then went on a sign making binge!!! What a creative and useful bunch of "signs"! You really have a talent for that!:):) It is too bad the epoxy didn't do what you hoped it would.... but it ended up being an amazing "sign" on your/Tasha's kitchen! I love the spice jars idea, along with the saying you used, it adds a whole other layer of meaning to this project! And you even managed to squeeze in some "landscaping" too! I am always so impressed at how much you get done in such a professional manner and with such Creative ideas! You are an inspiration to all of us! Keep up the Great work!!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I am learning that as long as I am making something or making something better I am happy! Gearing up to paint my bedroom and bathroom in a whole new color scheme and even things like that are great fun! You inspire me, too, and maybe one day I will tackle the fear and pick up the embroidery needle!

      Delete
  22. Hi Jodi, I'm reading the signs, I am reading every one of them! But seriously, they are a lot of fun and really personalise these items. Using the back wall for storage using spice tins is really a fun idea.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Huibrecht! It's so much fun to have a variety of projects to work on!

      Delete