Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, February 20, 2020

Pound Cake: Flooring Trials

My prediction last post of trial and error with the second floor flooring was pretty accurate. My first idea was a complete failure, but as these things often go, it was in the learning from that experience that I came up with a new idea to try. Let me state emphatically that the methods for achieving my goals here are probably not the smartest or best use of the technology, but only how I got around the challenges using my limited faculties and on hand supplies. Mostly, I just wanted to "Get 'Er Done" by any means necessary!


My first plan was to create a patterned tile floor in Design Space and use the Cricut to cut it. I was going to use chipboard in two thicknesses, a thinner one for the "grout" lines and the thicker for the actual tiles. I was planning to paint the tiles but did not know at that point whether or not I would actually grout the tiles in the traditional way, or just suggest grout with an offsetting color. But first, I had to design and cut the floor.

I found a tile design online that I thought would be nice for the small corner powder room and was also in keeping with the old time style of the building. It is made up of  honeycomb shaped tiles, so I found a similar clipart pattern online and imported it into Design Space. The grout lines of the image looked to be about the right thickness and proportion.

Powder Room Tile Inspiration
Honeycomb clipart

From there, I took careful measurements and created the shape of the bathroom floor using the shapes available in Design Space. Then I filled in the honeycomb pattern, incorporating a rectangle border which, hopefully, won't be completely covered by the baseboards. The powder room door's threshold will be on the diagonal line and will partially cover tiles here, too..


My first cutting attempt on .37 mm chipboard told me I'd have to rethink my plan. It takes so many passes with the knife blade to cut through the chipboard. Having the tiles so close together to create a 1/16" grout line causes a mess of delamination of the cardboard after only a few passes.


Back to the drawing board. What if I used a much thinner material that only required one or two passes, like kraft board? Would there be enough of a height difference from grout to tile to look authentic enough? I just happened to have an almost new pack of Cricut Kraft Board in a sample pack which contained 30 sheets of white, black and natural. This seemed worthy of a try, especially the prospect that with black grout and white tiles, I may not have to paint anything at all!.
The kraft board cut perfectly with only two passes, the default setting for Kraft Board in Design Space. It also calls for the standard fine point blade instead of the knife blade. I was able to cut the backer board in natural, the grout lines in black and then the tiles in white. I printed the white tiles twice so that I could double stack them to make the grout lines deeper.




Laying the tiles was like doing a fun puzzle. Because of the grout lines, each tile fit perfectly into place



Here's the floor sitting in it's place on the subfloor. To give you an idea of the size of the powder room, with square walls it would be 5" x 7". The tiles are 1/2".



Now that I knew the concept could work, I went ahead and created the tiles in the same way for the rest of the second floor. The way I have the space laid out, you come up the stairs into the stove and baking (right) side of the bakery. It is separated by an 8" long wall from the sink/dishwasher and cake decorating (left) side of the bakery.


Since the Cricut will only cut widths up to 11.5 inches, and because the areas of the bakery kitchen will be separated by a wall (made of 3/16" foam core), I divided the tile floors for the rest of the space in sections, though the tile design will be the same on both sides. For the sink/cake decorating side, I cut this shape:


For the Oven/Baking side, it is 15" deep so I had to create an additional narrow strip section and join them after cutting. I made extra whole white tiles to help camouflage the join in the back, but will use some type of threshold in the open doorway between the two sides of the kitchen where these tile pieces join.


I created the tiles in Design Space the same way as for the powder room, only this time I used a square diamond pattern and made the tiles 1" square. I again left the grout as a single layer, the white tiles double stacked, then printed 1/4" x 1/4" square black tiles to apply in all of the corners.


Here are how the floors look just laying on top of the subfloor. Where you see wood now are where the walls are planned. I will do some experimenting with shiny finishes for the tile floors on scrap tiles before I commit to applying anything to the real floors. Better safe than sorry, especially after all of the work to make them happen!


But first, while my daughter and I spend a long weekend celebrating my mom's 70th birthday with her in Arizona, these pieces will be under boards and weights to make them stay good and flat!

See you next week!

xo xo,
Jodi

51 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some terrible typos in the previous post! Here we go again...
      Every time you use your Cricut, I learn something new. Man, it is one powerful and versatile machine!! You have done such a great job harnessing its potential.
      Your floor look terrific too ;)

      Delete
    2. Lol! You'd fall off your chair laughing if I didn't at least try to proof read my own typing!
      Thanks Carrie! It has been fun experimenting with it and seeing all the amazing ideas that everyone is coming up with to use them for! Soon everyone will have them the same way we all have scissors! :O)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for showing your whole process and not just the successful part. While you are in AZ, my husband will be in WA and I get to spend the whole time at home practicing with my Cameo! Your floors are looking wonderful, I hope you find just the right finish for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun! I can concentrate a whole lot more when my hubs is out of the house so I hope you get to take full advantage! I can't wait to see how that brilliant mind of yours will harness the power!!!

      Delete
  3. Those floors are wonderful! It was so clever to cut both the tile and the grout, and with the tiles perfectly cut, they must be a true pleasure to put together. What a fabulous solution for your floors! I'm looking forward to what you use as a finish. Hope you have a great time in Arizona, and happy birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! It was a whole lot more enjoyable than hand cutting the art board tiles by hand, and a lot less nerve wracking the the whole grouting process. My fingers are crossed that the sealing portion proves once and for all that this is the new and better way to tile!

      Delete
  4. All that hard work and mistakes paid off Jodi. You achieved a Marvellous floor!! Happy Birthday to your mom! 🎂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! The hard part of using this machine is the mental part. Us old dogs can be a little hard to train, lol! But seeing others use it, even for other non miniature crafts, really gets the neurons excited! I am happy that you like the floor, so far!

      Delete
  5. Un gran trabajo y el resultado final impecable.Que pases un buen día en familia y feliz cumpleaños a tu mamå .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Rosa Maria! ¡Pasamos un tiempo maravilloso e hicimos tantos momentos memorables!

      Delete
  6. Your Cricut is a very versatile and remarkable machine, Jodi, it can make great ideas/dreams come true!! It seems magic to me of how you do it all, since I'm not familiar with such a machine, so I can truly say that you're a magician :). Thank you for showing how you did it.
    Your floor is excellent and very beautiful in B&W, very stylish.
    Have a great time in Arizona, and happy birthday to your mom!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ilona! It really is such an exciting tool and it's uses are only limited by your imagination! With so many new explorers, it is easy to have your mind stimulated with new ideas! Come on over to my house and we'll spend a lovely weekend playing! :O)
      Mom had a very memorable birthday weekend and there is no doubt in her mind how much she is loved and treasured! 💗

      Delete
  7. Oh WOW! Love the floors. Wish I could use my Maker like you do. Of course, I just got it at Christmas, so I'm still figuring it out.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! I am happy that you like the floors! I got my first Cricut in 2016 and my greeting cards still look like a kindergartner made them, lol! Where goes your focus your skill will follow, apparently. Get yours out and just start playing! You will have it mastered in no time!!! :O)

      Delete
  8. Wow what a difficult beautiful floors you designed! I'm curious were you going to lay them!
    have a nice day,
    groetjes van Marijke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marijke! They will go in the bakery's second floor if the varnishing goes well! Wish me luck!

      Delete
  9. En primer lugar, felicidades para tu mama, disfrutad y atesorad estos momentos felices a su lado.
    En segundo lugar, felicidades por un trabajo tan minucioso con el suelo. El resultado es maravilloso.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias marian! ¡Pasamos un tiempo maravilloso con mi mamĂĄ! ¡Ella es mĂĄs feliz a los 70 años que la he visto, asĂ­ que es una alegrĂ­a verla! ¡Me alegra que te gusten los azulejos!

      Delete
  10. As usual you came up with the right decision and a beautiful floor is the result.
    Have a wonderful time in Arizona with you family and a Happy Birthday to your mother!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! We had a wonderful visit with my mom (and dad, too)! The sunshine was so good for the soul! I am glad that you like the floors! I hope they finish up without issue!

      Delete
  11. Honestly Jodi you do yourself a disservice; by the time I get to the end of your posts I think 'that looks easy'then I remember in the main I don't have clue what you are really talking about all I see is the fabulous end result and attention to the finest detail. I love the idea of laying grout first and then slotting your tiles in place - no wibbly wobbly pattern lines there! I bet tilers would love to be able to do that. So, well done on your usual technical problem solving, congratulations on the actual design and brava for its execution. Hope you have a lovely mom-birthday weekend. Marilyn O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! It was such a relief to potentially avoid the whole messy grouting process and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the varnishing process proves to be easier, too!
      We had a marvelous weekend with my parents, and getting to spend time traveling with my daughter was amazing! It's such a blessing to be able to say that your kids are some of your favorite people! 💗

      Delete
  12. Cricket does have its limits and not all papers or materials are the same, are they? Only by trial and error do we learn. You, though, are blazing the trail. I'm still mulling over a purchase. Perhaps investing in one machine that would live at my daughter's so that the kids could use it. They are very crafty and creative. With this new technology, miniature designers will take the hobby to an entirely new level and you are leading the way. I probably should write a book at some point. Wising you a wonderful celebration with your mom and daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say that YOU probably write a book at some point.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Ann, but you are far too kind! I am really only beginning to see the potential with the Cricut, and having to learn programs like Illustrator will be necessary in order to take designing to the next level. The folks over on the Miniatures Made By Cricuters FaceBook group are the ones to watch as the trailblazers and have been a real source for inspiring ideas. But I promise if I do have any innovative solutions or ideas I will share them here for free! 😃 I owe all my creative energy to each of the mini enthusiasts in our community who inspire and encourage me to keep trying!
      I love the idea of getting a Cricut to share with the whole family! Our kids and grandkids seem to be born with technical savvy already installed and can teach us so much!

      Delete
  13. This is just amazing. The more you show us what can be done with a Cricut the more I want one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! You would really be doing all of the Cricut crafters a service if you got one because you'd have it mastered and be sharing amazing uses and ideas with us in no time! If I can help or answer any questions on supplies or tools for it don't hesitate to email me!

      Delete
  14. Siempre sabes,a pesar de prueba y error,cual es la soluciĂłn! Tus suelos me encantan! La idea de poner antes la lechada es fabulosa,tomo nota!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias pilar! Cualquier cosa para evitar la lechada, jajaja! 😜

      Delete
  15. Wow, Jodi - you are truly an expert with your Cricut. I've had mine for a few months now and have only used it a few times. I really need to practice, practice, practice - and I probably still wouldn't manage to do such a beautiful job as you do! Thank you so much for walking us through the process so well. I think I can actually follow it, myself! I see there are a couple of other Marilyns here so I will sign off as - Marilyn D., New Brunswick, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marilyn and Thank You for your encouraging comments! I can't seem to make a decent greeting card yet but I am willing to make multiple attempts with the minis! I guess that is the key factor, lol!
      I have watched a variety of YouTube videos with folks using the Maker for a number of crafts because I seem to pick up subtle hints and tricks that help me with my own projects. Just learning when to use "Attach" as opposed to "Weld" has been revolutionary. I recommend you doing the same because once you know the tools and how to employ them, your confidence will grow!

      Delete
  16. Heavens, Jodi, you are Acing it with this cricut machine! Those floors are looking amazing! Hard to believe they are essentially "paper"... but that is what we love about minis... making something look "real" when it is anything but! Bravo! And keep up the amazing work! But not until after your visit with your folks, which I hope gives you fantastic memories of family togetherness!! Enjoy the sunshine!:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy and Thank You for your confidence in my Maker skills! It IS amazing that we can magically turn paper into tile! :O) I hope the varnishing process proves successful so that in the future I will only have to face the perils of grout when I really want to!!!
      It was such a heart filling time with my family and so wonderful when you can show someone how much they mean to you! 💗 The sunshine was soul filling, too! I hope you get to experience some in your neck of the woods, soon, too!

      Delete
  17. Those floors are fantastic!
    Have a wonderful time in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  18. El suelo es precioso. Ha hecho un buen trabajo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias isabel ¡Estoy tan contenta de que te gusten los pisos!

      Delete
  19. What a great solution Jodi - it really works a treat! Not (yet) an owner of a Cricut I cannot get over the type and variety of 'stuff' you mange to create with your wonder-machine.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I am so glad you like how the tiles came out and I hope you will one day get a chance to play with one of these amazing machines! Your shelf designs in the toy shop are fantastic, and with a Cricut, all your future mat board pieces could be cut for you!

      Delete
  20. Hello Jodi,

    What a fun and great way to make and assemble a tile floor. Pity that it did not work the first time around.

    Congratulations with your mom's birthday. i hope that it will be a pleasant trip and a great birthdayparty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Huibrecht! As is often the case, the first try failure saved me from myself! Even if it had worked I think I would not have been happy with the thickness of the chipboard floor. Switching to the new material right away saved time and material. I must have a crafty guardian angel, lol! :O)
      The time with my mother was heart filling, and it was such a great feeling to have been part of her feeling loved and treasured by her family!

      Delete
  21. First of all best wishes to your Mom for her birthday - our Moms have something in common because mine will reach this landmark too in summer. ;O) I hope you've had a wonderful family time together in Arizona.

    And speaking of wonderful - what a wonderful post! ;O) Your floor in its two tile versions looks terrific!!! And the way you've achieved this stunning result is awesome, I can only agree with Sheila, your posts become dangerous because they cause an itching in the fingers to spend money for such a miracle working machine. But I calm myself by telling me that if you can do it doesn't mean that I could do it too because I'm a technical doofus. *grin* And even worse… my computer broke (I'm writing at my Mom's at the moment) and I need to buy a new one… which will cause a big hole in my budget. *sigh* So I just keep on to admire your fantastic work together with your miracle machine… this is a stunning and (at least I suppose so) easy way to lay miniature tiles.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Birgit! It is so wonderful to see our moms turn 70 and be happy and in the prime of their lives! I hope your mom enjoys good health, as well! Remember when 70 was old? Not anymore!!! It gives us such hope for ourselves, lol!
      I am truly sorry to hear of your computer issues! It is not only expensive, but getting the new one set up with all of the stuff from the old one is such a huge undertaking! I hope you have a savvy person to help you with the entire process and that some unexpected "Good Deed" fairy will drop by with the needed funds. You spread so much joy around our planet that a windfall of extra cash is due to you! Count on me to contribute if you start a fundraiser!!! Hugs and Enthusiastic Prayers!!!

      Delete
  22. Your post was a complete education for me as I had no idea what a Cricut was much less what it could do! The floor is fab and well done figuring it all out and creating it. Marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene! It really has been fun finding things to make for the shop and ways in which to make them! That smell is just my brain operating in new and challenging ways, lol!

      Delete
  23. You've managed to make your complicated tile pattern look sooooo easy, Jodi, and your repertoire of skills with the Cricut Cutter, is truly Masterful!
    Your tile floors look SO PRO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! Can't wait to share the conclusion!

      Delete
  24. Brilliant idea on the flooring Jodi! Ingenious! Must remember that. Glad to see the build is falling into place for you and hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete