Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Secret Swap Project - Revealed!!!

In September, I was invited by Sam of Blueprint Minis to join a Christmas Swap. It was made up of folks who are regular miniatures posters to Instagram. I think we ended up with 32 participants, but rather than making up 32 of the same things, as in a normal swap, we got randomly assigned 2 fellow swappers. This way, we could focus on quality rather than quantity, and each maker would be allowed the freedom to make things they were comfortable with. To give us ideas and guidelines, we each filled out questionnaires about the scale we liked best, time period, colors, current projects etc. The ladies to whom I was assigned were going to be a challenge! Both were extremely successful miniaturists, and both favored genres that I had the least experience with: Mid Century Modern and Modern design. I had my work cut out for me but was determined to do my very best. Luckily, they both preferred 1/12th scale, so at least that part was familiar!  I just wasn't allowed to spill the beans until now.


My overall vision for the project was to give each person a little zen space. A small roombox and some accessories and furnishings that they could rearrange again and again when they needed a moment to play. The only constraint was the amount of money spent on each gift. The limit was $25 - $50. Don't tell the spouses, but spending that little on something miniature and thoughtful is the biggest challenge of all! Hence I came up with my Mid Mod and Mod roomboxes made from scraps, leftovers and already on hand supplies. Because both styles share similarities, I was able, with just a few tweaks, to make the furnishings and accessories at the same time. This saved a lot of time which was great given Russ' kitchen/family room refresh timing!

To keep the interior to a budget, I found furniture styles I liked online and then did my best to replicate them. I deconstructed them in my mind and made patterns in Inkscape, a free graphics program. It let's you save the files as svg (scalable vector graphics) so you can import them into Design Space and cut with your Cricut. The only actual money I spent specifically for these gifts was ordering lamps and shades from my Shapeways store.



For the half circle art pieces, I just manipulated shapes in Design Space. The table legs were done this way, too. I'll share the patterns and tutorials for them all in an upcoming post. But to keep this post smaller than War And Peace, we'll just stick (mostly) to what I made for now rather than how I made it.



Now for the finished projects - I'll start with Kristin, who many of you might know as Kristin Rogersdotter of Moonflower Minis on Etsy. Kristin stated in her questionnaire that she loves Mid-Century Modern and so my challenge was on!

Roombox basics: 13" H (with felt feet) x 8-3/8" W x 6-1/2" D
Not knowing what kind of space she had, I needed to keep the footprint small.




The lamp works with a regular 12 volt screw base bulb and socket.
It's powered here by a 9 volt battery. It's in a holder with a switch.
I have included the plug and left the wire long in case
she wants to utilize the lamp elsewhere.




Here are the art pieces for the room. One of Kristin's favorite artists is Bansky, so I included a couple matted but frameless prints mounted on chipboard. I didn't display them in the finished photos, but Kristin may choose to use them here or in another setting.




This is how my interpretation of the side table turned out. It was so awesome to have the Cricut cut the pieces for me! I plan to do a little editing to the legs in future models, but time constraints had me stop at "good enough".



And here is how the chair came out. I wanted to add a couple tufted buttons, but if I'd ruined it, I wouldn't have had time to remake the piece so I had to omit that plan. No time for a pillow, either! Big Thank You to Kris Compass for her finishing tips!



Rug printed on fabric.


Bonsai, plant stand, magazines.


Atrium plants.





And finished room.








Now for Karen. Many of you have heard of Tiny Doors ATL. Well that's the brainchild of Karen Anderson Singer. Karen's preferred style is modern, and her favorite colors are pink, purple and white.

Her roombox was just about exactly the same as Kristin's, except I went with a lighter cherry stain and painted brick for the walls.

Roombox basics: 13" H (with felt feet) x 8-3/8" W x 6-1/2" D




But wait! What was that at the bottom of the last photo, you ask? Why, you're right! It's a tiny door! Or more accurately, a 1/144th scale Micro door! Hey, maybe Karen will start #microdoorsatl, too!



Back to business...






Art pieces...




The Cricut basswood sheets are so lovely to work with. If you plan your cuts right, you can even take advantage of the wood's natural variances!



Thanks to Inkscape, I was able to create repeating patterns so that a fabric sample became a whole printable sheet!



Decor accessories...



Snake plant, spiky mystery plant and cloud bonsai for the atrium...



And the finished room...











Well there it is! It was really frightening taking on the real life projects knowing that I had such huge challenges and a lot to learn in order to finish the swap gifts, but all is well that ends well! I just hope Kristin and Karen love them as much as I loved making them!

Thanks for all your help and encouragement on another adventurous journey!

You guys ready for another one? I am, and it's not what you think! More on that next week!!! ;O)

xo xo,
Jodi

46 comments:

  1. What lucky ladies your recipients were! Those little room boxes are adorable, and that teeny, tiny door!! So incredibly cute! Love your side tables and your chairs. They turned out spectacularly. (And if you ever want more rounded modern legs, the business ends of Japanese chopsticks work really well.) Your recipients must be so thrilled! So does this mean you received two items, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! One recipient has opened the package and was super thrilled. The other has the package but said she had a crazy work week so is waiting for the weekend to open. My fingers are crossed!
      The chopsticks are a great idea! I had made stools with them a few years back and they worked out really well! I wanted to test out the Cricut with these legs, doubling them for thickness and having them fit into a jig on the bottom for stability. I used mid century table replacement leg measurements found online, then scaled down, but they still need to be a bit thinner so I'll keep at it and hopefully will find the perfect style!
      I received one of my packages - all the way from Finland - and will share hopefully both of my swap gifts next post!

      Delete
  2. Secret projects are not easy! (I know because I am about to reveal one 🤗.) It was fun to see the little teasers you gave us and now the finished projects. I’m sure Kristin and Karen are thrilled with them. I checked out Karen’s Tiny Doors; what a wonderful project! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh exciting! Can't wait!
      Kristin loved hers, waiting for Karen's reaction. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. Bravo Jodi! Your mini swap mates will be thrilled with their gifts. Sign me up for next year...LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! Kristen was thrilled, waiting for Karen to hopefully open the package this weekend. You would love the group of ladies and be totally welcomed in the next swap! I'll definitely tell them you're interested! Do you have an Instagram account? What's your IG name?

      Delete
  4. Amazing and wonderful! I'm so impressed and amazed at your creativity and how you used the same footprint but made them so different. And I adore that mini mini door. So cute! Especially with the rainbow awning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I had big plans on making a 1/12th scale Portal To The Pacific door for Tiny Doors ATL with Seattle type stuff for the walls and space around it. Unfortunately, Russ wanted to do the remodel stuff, and his list kept getting longer and longer, so I only had time for the teeny door. Wasn't meant to be. :o(

      Delete
  5. I am old enough to remember mid century and modern styles. My grandmother had that perfect homey grandmother home with her post-victorian 1950s furniture. Then she was gone. I was 12, I think. Grandpa remarried and moved and the new grandam loved the modern furniture. I didn't. It wasn't the same. I'm still a traditionalist, but I love your rooms and certainly admire the quality of work that you do. That you design your own furniture and use a Cricut to cut it out just astounds me. It's an entire technology that I am wondering If I am really up to taking on. I love the colors that you chose and the chairs are just adorable. Job well done. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in your creativeness and fine workmanship--and the little door--perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! My grandparents had some neat mid mod and art deco pieces in their house growing up, too. As a kid, it always felt as though it was special, fragile and not meant for kids so I stayed away so as not to get in trouble for scratching it! I therefore grew up thinking I wanted nothing to do with fancy stuff, but the second hand stuff I could fix and make new was where my heart settled. But it was fun to play with the style for this project.
      If you think about flat pack furniture like Ikea stuff, then designing stuff for the Cricut isn't that intimidating. There is all kinds of help out there, you just have to know what to search for and be willing to learn a new technology. You can do it! I know you can!!!

      Delete
  6. I think there's nothing more lovely (or challenging) than making minis with a specific person in mind. You did a sterling job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! It was really fun to stalk them and try to hit on exactly what I thought they would love. I love giving truly thoughtful gifts, so hope the recipients feel though of!

      Delete
  7. Your recipients are truly lucky birds, Jodi, they must be so thrilled! These miniature rooms were quite a challenge, but you succeeded so well in making them. They are amazing and wonderfully done! They are also great to see, and I so love your addition of this cute, teeny tiny door ate the rear side.
    I'm so impressed and amazed at your creativity, but for me your work with a Cricut machine is a complete riddle to me. I know, I know, I'm old, but although I've heard of it, I've never seen such a machine in action/how it works. So, I now see and hopefully understand well, you can do a lot of work with these sort of tools in miniature?? I thought it was just for paper, not usable for wood...please, don't laugh at me ;).
    These rooms are great swaps, the ladies will be over the moon.
    Thank you for the links and your explanation of how it works.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilona! In spite of the time and skill pressures, it was fun to take on the challenge! I hope both ladies play with and enjoy them often!
      You are not old! Old people sit and do nothing! Young at heart people continue to create into their golden years! You are so smart and creative in the ways you approach mini making of all kinds, I have no doubt you'd be a master of the Cricut in no time. The new models called the Maker can cut chipboard and basswood and so much more. I encourage you to look at some YouTube videos. You will be amazed and your mind will begin to see 1000 uses for the machine. It's fun to dream and challenge ourselves!

      Delete
  8. Very cool Jodi! Love them both and I sure the recipients will be very happy to add these to their collections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I hope they feel the thought and love that went in to them!

      Delete
  9. Ambos proyectos son preciosos. Su nuevas propietarias estarán encantadas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristin y Karen estarán encantadas con estos tesoros que van a recibir.
    Has trabajado mucho y has logrado dos maravillas que ellas van a disfrutar sin duda.
    Felicidades a las tres.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias marion ¡Espero que los disfruten! ¡Fue divertido tener un desafío y la presión de la fecha límite de intercambio realmente me ayudó a mantener la concentración!

      Delete
  11. I'm sure they will be love. The armchairs are beautiful and so very well made.
    Two stunning scenes!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! It was great to see for future reference that only one sheet of printer fabric was enough for one chair pattern! I am happy you like the projects!

      Delete
  12. "Practically Perfect in Every Way!" :D
    Your decorating talents and your furniture, Artwork, lighting,plants along with the modern containers, ARE ALL SO PRO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I have learned that working with stained furniture takes a lot more careful planning than pieces you will later paint! Fussy, fussy! And I have learned that if you are trying to do all the math involved in shrinking real sized furniture down to make patterns, men watching LOUD TV can be totally distracting! Next time, a quiet house, lol!

      Delete
  13. Well ... it's just perfect, beautiful work, I also think the plants are very beautiful. Always nice to see how you dissolve the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonda! I am glad you liked the project and the plants! I am so relieved to be finished and that they have arrived safely to their new homes!

      Delete
  14. Ya sé que tienes una gran imaginación y un gusto decorativo excelente,pero con estas dos mini escenas,me has vuelto a dejar asombrada!! que conjuntos tan armónicos,tan bellos,los muebles que has diseñado son fantásticos,los colores destacan cada uno de ellos y realzan el conjunto general.
    Vamos,que tus dos amigos darán saltos de alegría con sus geniales regalos sorpresa!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias por sus amables comentarios, Pilar! ¡Qué amable de tu parte decirlo! Fue divertido trabajar en este género, pero cuando se trataba de colores, texturas y patrones que funcionarían juntos de manera cohesiva, ¡era intimidante! ¡Estoy mucho más en sintonía con los estilos country / tradicional!
      Kristen dice que está "enamorada" de sus regalos, ¡y eso me hace desmayar! Uff, ¡qué alivio! ¡Y espero que Karen se sienta igual de pensada!

      Delete
  15. The room boxes are wonderful! Did you buy or make the boxes? I am so tempted to make a room box, they look so cute but take up very little space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pan! The roomboxes are made totally from my scraps of foam core for the walls, scraps of wood, leftover Lexan for the windows and leftover pieces of wallpaper and wood flooring. I made a post here:

      http://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/2019/10/scraps-leftovers-and-possibilities.html

      with all the materials. I think you would get a great deal of satisfaction making a room box, and if you have questions about how to start on one I am always happy to give you some advice!

      Delete
  16. It's no surprise that Kristin was very happy with her swap gift and I have no doubt that Karen will be over the moon too whenever she finds the time to open hers. Two wonderful results, of course so very well made, but even more so thoughtful with so many well chosen details. You really tried to match the likings of the two ladies who this was dedicated for - and you succeeded to do so.

    The results with your cricut are always stunning, I already said before how much I admire the effect of the wall art with these cut circles. It's amazing that these machines can even handle wood sheets nowadays. But what I liked best of all (surprise!) was the tiny door - so cute!

    A fantastic project - I'm already looking forward to see what you'll receive from your swap partners. Hopefully your renovation work is over and you can now relax in your renewed beautiful kitchen and family room and start to work on your hacienda project.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Birgit! It's so nice of you to say that I have succeeded in giving my recipients something they will love! The tiny door was so much fun to make because the smaller something is, the more cute you are allowed to make it!
      The Cricut really does revolutionize making mini cabinets, furniture and decor items, especially if cutting a straight line by hand is as challenging for you as it is for me! It is a tool that I really believe will pay for itself over time as long as this old dog is willing to learn some new tricks, lol! I hope to find ways to have it's help in every project going forward!
      I can't wait to share my gifts, too! The one I have received so far is just incredibly wonderful and made by someone who really cares about the smallest details! I promise to share everything I have in my next post!

      Delete
  17. Wonderful little boxes/scenes!!! Jodi you have an unique eye for decoration, really girl, they are stunning. I'm sure the lucky receivers will be over the moon when they get them!! I love everything about them, the modern look, the simplicity and perfection of the pieces, the colours, the art, the perfect arrangement of accessories and details. The work of a Pro!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how much it means to me to have supportive comments from friends whose work I admire so much! Thank you, Alex! I am so happy that you like the way the roomboxes came out! The modern styles are fraught with peril for me because everything is supposed to be flawless. I am so much more comfortable with shabby, country and decrepit, lol! So phew! Glad this project is behind me and so happy to have such positive feedback from my blog friends and one of the recipients!

      Delete
  18. My word, two stunners of little roomboxes!

    I love the way these have turned out. Such similarities yet both have their own atmosphere and personality. Those are two Lucky ladies!

    And yes, it is true. Our spouses should not be fully informed about what a good miniature(scene) can cost to make. :-D

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Huibrecht! They were great opportunities to participate, give and hone in some new skills! Glad you like them!
      To tell the truth, I don't want to know what they cost, either! Ignorance is bliss!

      Delete
  19. A fantastic gift for Kristin. These small room are simple but perfect in every details. The tiny door in the back of second room is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby! Doing different kinds of projects is why this hobby stays interesting and so much fun!

      Delete
  20. Hi, Jodi - Wonderful work on the two really amazing room boxes. I love that you used such similar plans but made each one unique with the colors, fabric choices, and accessories. Each room is stunning, and the atrium idea is perfect, adding a complete change of scene in that tiny space! I'm in awe of your skill with the Cricut, and like Ilona (above) I feel that maybe I'm too old to learn something so technical and different. Robert, who is very patient with my non-technological outlook, teases me often by saying, "Marjorie, come away from that wheelbarrow - you don't know anything about machinery!" Sad but true. Your reply to Ilona was very sweet and encouraging - I'm taking that advice to heart! I know that both your gift recipients will love and cherish your beautiful, creative workmanship.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marjorie! It makes me happy that you like the roomboxes!
      Ha ha! Robert sounds like he loves to tease you as does Russ to me! I very much doubt that you are too old for anything! You have an ingenious and highly creative mind! As long as the drive is there, and you can find the right instructions (we all learn is such different ways), you could have it mastered in no time! Heck, I've only just reached the tip of the iceberg in what this machine can do! I encourage you to attend one of the classes that Joanne's, Michael's or Hobby Lobby offers because I'll bet you leave with a machine and a head full of exciting ideas! And if you never decide to get one, I am confident that using only Sticks and Stones and Styrofoam you can achieve incredible dreams! BTW... How's the cottage coming?!?

      Delete
  21. Ecco svelato il mistero! Entrambe le piccole stanze sono molto belle, ma decisamente io preferisco quella gialla e blu! Amo lo stile vintage...
    Il grande pannello realizzato con i semicerchi di legno è una bella idea, perfetta per ottenere un'opera d'arte insolita e piena di personalità.
    I pezzi tagliati con la cricut sono molto interessanti, credo che mi piacerebbe molto provare ad usarla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Grazie Elenè! Preferisco anche i colori in blu e giallo!
      Sono felice che ti piacciano!
      E scommetto che ti piacerebbe giocare con il Cricut e ti inventeresti modi spettacolari per creare minis con esso!

      Delete
  22. The roomboxes are delightful. Everything is so beautiful. I like the modern style of the boxes. You are really a talented and skillfull artist.

    P.S. There is quite a lot of traffic from your blog to mine. Thanks for that.
    - Sirkka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sirkka! I am happy that you like the roomboxes, and I am glad that visitors are finding their way to your wonderful blog! It is so packed with amazing scenes, incredible miniatures and clever tutorials that everyone will enjoy it!

      Delete
  23. All wonderful images. Love the room boxes!

    ReplyDelete