Search My Blog!

Use the Search box below to find keywords that you're looking for quickly and easily!

Search Feature

Thursday, December 12, 2019

Loose Ends, Cliffhangers & Mini Project Plans...

This fall has gone by lightning fast and it feels like I had so many things going that I need to follow up on all of the loose ends and cliffhangers I left you with! Well... I guess "cliffhangers" is a strong word. It's not like you've been waiting to find out if Stefano came back from the dead (again)! But I bet you are wondering what I got in the swap! With so much left in limbo, I'll break them down into categories to help me keep my mind straight.

Family Room & Kitchen Renos

It feels great to have the family room and kitchen rejuvenated! I didn't realize just how much a lighter color would brighten up the rooms, even as we head into dreary, gray winter here in the Pacific Northwest. But even when the sun is hiding behind the thick layer of rain clouds, it still feels jovial inside!



The only things left on the To Do list are to replace a faulty 220 plug for the oven , recover the family room chairs and make some art for above the sofa. Since we are not hosting any of the holidays this year, there's no hurry to get the chairs done, and the oven still works - it just needs to be pulled out from the wall a little to straighten the cord. We wouldn't be true procrastinators if we didn't leave something on the list! Maybe January? :O)



Grandma's Hutch Makeover & Future Project

Grandma's hutch came out great - I love the serenity blue with the sage wall color, and the antiquing wax really highlights the molded details! I want to fill the shelves in the upper glass portion with miniature scenes. Marilyn suggested I make and display mini kitchens that were special to me growing up. Excellent idea, Marilyn! My grandma's kitchen was my first thought, and it's funny - I had been collecting ideas and making plans to do this for years! What a perfect place to have it displayed!


My grandma's kitchen was always active, full of family (she had seven kids) and smelling like some sort of great food or baked goods were about to be served! But by no means was it fancy. It had metal cabinets and a sink unit right out of the Youngstown catalog from the 1950's, red Formica counter tops and actual rooster contact paper on the walls in lieu of wallpaper. But boy was there a lot of love in that kitchen, and a lifetime of memories for our family! Grandma passed in 1998 but she's still in everything we do.


Here's a photo with grandma, my aunt Carol Jean and my little cousins, Teddy and Jimmy. It must have been March because Jimmy is enjoying the birthday cake grandma made. She made some spectacular cakes for all the kids over the years! See the cabinet above the stove on the left? That's not grime, it's where the paint on the metal cabinet had been scrubbed away over the years!


Here's another with the same crew sitting at the table. There was a leaf that could be added to the table, but just imagine seven kids, then later all their spouses and kids, cramming into such a tiny space! Holidays were wall to wall love, literally!


In this photo with my aunt Amy Jo and her two kids Camryn and Kyler, you can see more of the back kitchen wall. The window was east facing, so memories of  early morning sunlight and grandma singing along to country music on the radio fills my heart.


Here's one with Amy's best friend Colleen. Though she wasn't related by blood, she was part of the family! It's a good photo of the sink area and the back door to the built in porch.


I found a couple brand new rolls of the exact contact paper on Etsy a couple years ago. I made memory boxes and covered them with it for my mom, aunt and uncle, but I have lots left. I can scan it into the computer and shrink it down to scale for my mini version.


I've requested more kitchen photos from the family and am going through all my old albums and boxes of photos. Hopefully, I can begin to put all of the pieces and details together enough to make a plan. The hutch shelf is only 10" deep, so one wall will have to be eliminated. I hope to start on the project sometime in 2020.

Instagram Christmas Swap Gifts

I've shown you the gifts I made for my swap recipients, but now I get to share what I got! My first gift came all the way from Sirpa in Finland! One of the best parts to this swap was getting to meet new miniature enthusiasts from around the world! The ones I already knew, I know much better now! Sirpa's Instagram handle is @sirpa_sainio.

Her gifts could not have been more perfect! In addition to an array of generous materials to get creative with, she also made an incredibly adorable suitcase loaded with Christmas presents, a pair of charming little gnomes and a rug that she actually made on a miniature loom! The details are just precious, and I am excited to play with them in my gingerbread cottage, The Sweet Christmas Cottage.











Thank you so much, Sirpa! I will treasure your incredible handmade minis and make great use of the supplies in future projects!

My second gift came from another country, as well, but this time a little closer to home - Chrystine in Montreal. Her Instagram handle is @vintageinmontreal.

Chrystine wove for me the most amazing and intricate basket!!! It's incredibly detailed and perfect in every way! She only began making minis in April of this year, but I think she is someone you are going to hear a lot about in the future! This is going to be an amazing piece to display in my current project (which I'll talk about later).






Thank you Chrystine! I LOVE it!

If you want to see all of the participants, what we made and received, and what we all look like, just search the hashtag #christmasminiswap2019.

Linfield To Adobe Kit Bash

So on December 1st I got to crack open the Linfield kit. It was never opened. In fact, it still had the rusty industrial staples holding the lid closed!


I opened it up to make sure I had all the parts. These DuraCraft kits included everything - the shingles, the trims and moldings, Magic Brik river rock tape and mortar and even the wooden flooring strips! It also included a VHS tape with helpful instructions! I just happen to have a VHS player.



It's a really special kit. When I got to all of the trims, I saw that they were actually wonderfully milled with dovetailed joins! I realized that for me to lob off roofs and flatten out bay windows on a kit like this would be a travesty. I carefully returned everything to the box and put it back into inventory. Looks like I have a frilly Victorian in my future, and that I'll be looking for a Plan B on the adobe structure. I also remembered that all of my ideas aren't necessarily good ones. Ah, well. Such is life...


Instead, A New Project

But not to be thwarted from the thrill of a new project, the smell of fresh plywood and a swarm of tiny slivers, I cracked open a different kit! For me, idle hands are not a healthy thing, so my mind and craft table are never clear for very long. This alternate kit will house another 'Must Do Before I Die' dream that's been in the works since April of 2016. That's when I bought the kit, anyway. The plan for this project has been brewing long before I let myself buy the kit. I've been enamored with it since around 2002!

But what is the kit and what are the plans for it? I'm going to leave you with another cliffhanger here and only tell you the name of the shop and a peek at the early progress.

Welcome to Pound Cake...


Can you guess the kit? I'll share all of the fresh baked gossip in my next post!

xo xo,
Jodi

29 comments:

  1. Your kitchen has become beautiful, Jodi, enjoy! Grandma's hutch is a pearl indeed, totally good for storing your mini's and mini scenes.
    I can imagine vivid the description of your grandma's kitchen, cause it looks a lot of the kitchen of my grandma. No luxury, but lots of love and there was always something happening.....great memories ot cherish. I loved seeing those old pictures, Jodi :).
    What an excellent idea for shrinking the wallpaper of your grandma, creating her kitchen in miniature will be such a great project to follow for us, I can't wait!!
    WOW, you received gorgeous gifts from other miniature enthusiasts, enjoy all of it!
    Great that the Linfield Kit was complete and well. You seems to me like a sort of 'Speedy Gonzales'....your enthusiasm and speed in building kits is truly admirable! So, what about the new kit? Since I've never have bought/assemble a kit, I really don't knowthe name, but getting your tip....maybe a bakery, or cake shop, or is that too obvious )??
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ilona!It's so hard to wait to see minis in the hutch that I may just have to move some of my small finished projects inside for now!
      It seems in our world the focus of what is really important has changed without us even realizing it. I would trade my kitchen in a heartbeat for a simple one filled with family every day! It was so much fun to go looking for the family photos and see all the incredible people that shaped me growing up! Glad you enjoyed the photos, too!
      There is some underlying sense of urgency with achieving all my mini dreams - probably due to my having to completely give them up for nine years in 2003. If I ever do have to stop again due to poor eyesight or space in our home as I get older, I want to have experiences as many projects as possible! :o)
      You're guess about the new project is very astute!

      Delete
  2. What a fun idea your grandma's kitchen is! There is nothing like recreating memories in miniature. It's so great that you have the contact paper to shrink down for a truly authentic look. It will be fun to see how you recreate the many accessories she had in her kitchen. As an aside, my mother had metal cabinets in the first house my parents owned (circa 1956), and she said they were the height of fashion at the time--very modern and hygienic! 😊

    You got some lovely gifts in your swap. That basket is incredible!

    Sorry you won't be doing the adobe house, but I can see why you wouldn't want to mess with a kit that has that much precision and detail. Dovetail joins? Wow! That is a well-made kit. On the other hand, I am intrigued by Pound Cake. I love the well-worn look of the stairs. I'm also guessing bakery or cake shop, unless you are totally misdirecting us, and it's actually a hardware store (you know, pounding nails?) that also sells yellowcake uranium. However, I kind of doubt that's the case. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so cool to learn about the cabinets and their history! The catalog is really cool! I am guessing that when my grandparents bought the house in the late 50's that the cabinets were pretty new. And because they lived in the forest in a cabin with an outhouse before that my grandma must have been very proud and excited to have that kitchen! When grandpa passed in 2008 the family sold the house, but that kitchen got 50 years of use! I'd say that's pretty amazing!
      I love your guess of a hardware store! That would be a fun one to make! But your first guess of a bakery is correct!

      Delete
  3. Que momentos tan entrañables pasasteis en la cocina de tu abuela, así que será un proyecto lleno de emoción, recreando esos detalles . Y has comenzado encontrando el papel.
    Tu cocina , sala de estar , es muy acogedora , disfrútala .
    UN comienzo estupendo con esos regalos, todos ellos muy bonitos.Felices fiestas,besos:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Rosa Maria! ¡Será muy emocionante trabajar en la cocina de la abuela y disfrutar de todos los recuerdos que trae! ¡Espero comenzar tan pronto como pueda sentarme y hacer un diseño!

      Delete
  4. Such an exciting post. I don't know where to begin.Your home looks warm and inviting; the shade of green that you chose is so restful and peaceful. Then your memories of your grandmother brought back memories of my own grandma and especially this time of year. Was there ever a grandmother's kitchen that didn't have that red countertop? Looking forward now to see how you stock you cabinet. I've seen the Linfield kit on eBay and have been tempted as well as the Tennyson. Both are such cute houses with so many possibilities. It is going to be so much fun to see what you do your kit. Wishing you again, a joyous holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! When Russ and I bought the big house in 2008 we had both kids living with us and thought it would be that way for a long time. Now, Russ and I could get away with much less space for just the two of us and the puppies, but our mortgage is so affordable it doesn't make sense to move!!!
      I think it's so awesome that you get to be a grandma and create those same kinds of memories for your grandkids! I know they will cherish them as we do ours! My son just got engaged, so it looks like I will get to enjoy the same privilege at some point in the future! Sharing this time of year with a little one and playing a major role in their life will be a dream come true!
      I LOVE the Tennyson, too! It's so charming! The Linfield has some amazing features, too, but it looks like there could be some major space challenges inside. Ah well, another challenge for another day, lol!
      I wish you a joyous time with lots of belly laughs and memories made with all of your loved ones, too!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see the cabinet filled with mini kitchens! And your kitchen and family room look marvelous! Such lovely minis and supplies you received. I'm excited to see what you'll do with them!

    I'm so curious about your next project, my brain is so burnt out I couldn't even begin to guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I can't wait to get further along with it so that I have something more to share! It's always so exciting to start on a dream that's been brewing in the background for so long!

      Delete
  6. So much to comment on Jodi and where should I begin?
    I'll start with how fresh you kitchen looks and how I long to have as much workspace in mine as you have in yours!
    Your family room reno's turned out so well and truly you and Russ make an ideal work team because the two of you get the JOBS DONE, unlike me who still has 2 kitchen light fixtures still sitting in their boxes for whenever I finally get around to it!
    oh well....
    Meanwhile, the idea to fill your grandmother's cabinet with a series of little kitchens, should be right up your alley!
    I can easily recall the cookbook vignettes that you did a while back which were so stinkin cute! And to begin by reproducing your Grandma's kitchen in miniature will be such a heart-warming testimonial to the loving memories she created for you as well as her entire family.
    Regarding your decision to leave the Linfield as a Victorian, and for another day, is probably for the best. With your superior construction skills, you are more than capable of framing out the Adobe of your dreams without completely sacrificing a solid house kit!
    Sheesh! they sure don't make them like yours anymore- and with a VHS included - WOWEE!
    Speaking of which, I still have mine AND my Beta video player- because you just never know..... :D
    The stairs of your mystery bakery project looks like it might be the Glencroft kit- just a guess.
    And finally, the gifts you've received from the swap are both FAB!!!
    How wonderful it is to have made new friends from all around the globe, and who have been blessed you with their considerable talents, just as you have blessed others with yours!
    Enjoy your INCREDIBLE gifts as I know you will, and I'll look forward to seeing them again, once they settle in. :D


    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! It is no fair that I should have as much space in my kitchen as I do!!! Though my husband would say different, I am not a fabulous cook, and rarely enjoy doing it! I gave my stand mixer and food processor to my daughter a few years ago because I felt so guilty to have such nice things that never go used! If I could, I'd give you half of everything, including the cabinets and counter space!!! I bet your cooking is as amazing as the minis and gardening that you excel at!
      The operative word there is "Team"! If you had a handy guy who was willing to do the heavy lifting with you, I bet it would be more fun and satisfying! We procrastinated a good ling time before Russ was on fire to 'git 'er done'! :O)
      You are so right that kitchens just hit my sweet spot! I have so many ideas for widely varied ones I'd love to create that Marilyn's suggestion was a facepalm moment! Duh! Why hadn't I thought if it myself much sooner! I still enjoy looking at my lemon kitchen cookbook, and never miss and opportunity to look at Tasha's again whenever I am at her place! I am touched that you remember them! Doing grandma's kitchen is going to be so very special to me, reconnecting me to the most giving, unselfish and loving person who I still miss so much I ache. I am going to take my time and savor every moment with it!
      Thank you for your confidence in me regarding the adobe. If I plan carefully, because the construction is pretty straightforward, I can probably build the structure with scrap plywood that Russ will be happy to pass along to me! The fail safe will be the fact that I can cover many mistakes with stucco, lol!
      You never do know! And I have all the kid's Disney movies on VHS and the family videos that I love to watch and hope to share someday with the next generation of little people that join our family!
      Not the Glencroft, but I bet as soon as I tell you, you'll think "Of Course!". :O)

      Delete
  7. Whoa! You have had a lot going on! Your kitchen and family room look beautiful. The timing was not the best, but the end result is perfect. Grandma’s cabinet looks great too. It will be fun to use it for changing displays. Your gifts from afar are fun. There is so much talent in this world, it’s nice to share it. The concept is similar to a project my daughter was involved in called twelve by twelve international art quilt challenge. That project started in 2007 with 12 art quilters who knew of each other only through their online presence. They still keep in touch all these years later. I agree with your project decisions, the Linfield does seem too nice to hack. Pound Cake is adorable so far. I don’t recognize it yet, but I’m always up for visiting a bakery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sherrill it feels like since my dad arrived last June, through the summer, culminating in my nephews wedding, and then through the home renos that life has been on fast forward! That is not my preferred speed and I hope to see mundane again, if just for a while!
      I am always astonished and inspired by the talent of people all over the world! And how marvelous to be among "my people" for whom creating and crafting are as important as air! And there is something for every passion, like with your daughter's quilting!
      I am with you on visiting a bakery! Hopefully, my mini version will be just as enticing!

      Delete
  8. The renovation are a complete success. Both kitchen and family look beautiful and cozy. I'd love to see your grandmother's cabinet filled with mini scenes. It is a wonderful display area. Making a mini kitchen like the one you remember will be a family heirloom.
    I can see how great it will be to follow your new house project. 2020 has already a good luck start by founding the kit is complete with VHS instructions.
    Your swap items are fantastic. Enjoy all!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drora! So many exciting projects on the horizon that already 2020 is looking like a great year! I hope that grandma's kitchen will be such an irresistible curiosity that far flung family members will be willing to traverse the miles to come see it! We don't get to see the Montana or California family as much as we did growing up, and it would be so nice to have everyone together again!

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful post! And thank you for the structure - this will make it easier for this old brain not to forget anything that needs to be mentioned… well, at least I hope so, let's not forget that this is the season of hope. ;O)

    Bravo for the result of all your renovation work, you really make a good team. It looks very cozy and inviting - just the way rooms like these should be. And I really love the idea of displaying kitchen vignettes in your Grandma's cabinet - but the idea of building your Grandma's kitchen in miniature and placing it in her old cabinet is one of the best ideas I've ever heard of in miniature. This will be a very special project and it's fantastic that you already own the original paper that was on her walls. I keep my fingers crossed that your family members will come along with more photos for you.

    Congrats for your wonderful swap items, so many fantastic and/or useful pieces, I'm already looking forward to see them in place some time. Sadly we won't see your Adobe building too soon but it was the right decision not to bash this stunning kit. You will get just the right idea for this building one day as you will find just the right way to build your desert home. And I already love what you've achieved with your newest project, the worn stairs look great. Well, everything else than a bakery or candy shop would be a surprise regarding the name and I think the floor would fit too for a bakery but we'll see... I'm curious to see more!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Birgit and what is it with this old age and forgetting things?!? Me, too! And it is maddening!! I used to pride myself on all I could keep track of. Now... I am completely unreliable!!!
      I am so happy that you like the home improvements and are excited about grandma;s kitchen, too! I hope I can find ways to make all of the little details and really capture everything!
      It's so funny how plans change, so back into the file for the adobe. It will have it's day! But for now, the new project keeps my heart and head looking forward with excitement and anticipation! And you are right on track with your guesses! :O)

      Delete
  10. Has creado un espacio muy bonito y acogedor tanto en la cocina como en la habitación.
    Felicidades por esos preciosos regalos y me alegra ver que tienen entre manos un estupendo proyecto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias isabel Estoy muy contento de que te gusten las mejoras y los regalos de intercambio, ¡y estoy muy emocionado de que sigas la nueva versión!

      Delete
  11. Hi Jodi! You have been busy!!! I love the swap gifts you got... they are really sweet! And the "Swap" out of the kits and projects is making my head spin! LOL! I would guess a Bakery for "Pound Cake"... but don't know the kits well enough to guess what else is in "store" for us hangers on the cliff edge.... guess I'll just have to wait and see! :):) So far the floor and stairs look promising in their black and white formal coloring! :):) As for Grandma's kitchen in the old hutch... that is going to be awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! The whole swap engagement has been fun and really interesting! There are as many passions in mini crafting as there are folks in the swap!
      You are right on track with your guess of a bakery, but Pound Cake will offer something for every sweet tooth! Think 30's deco tile and you'll know where my thoughts are heading! :O)

      Delete
  12. Dear Jodi. A post absolutely crammed with good vibes, it was a marvelous read. Renovations to your RL home were so worthwhile, it looks like a cosy, welcoming space. You absolutely have to make Grandma's kitchen, and just as I was wondering where you're going to find wallpaper, you have it already! Your Christmas swap items are droolworthy. I see that people recommend the leather effect Fimo for making miniature plants. I have yet to get my hands on some. Let us know how it is to work with. Ha, lucky for you that you have a VHS tape player! I agree, you can't kit bash that one too much, save it for later. The Pound Cake staircase is a literal cliffhanger, haha. Do I sniff baked goodies in your future? I'm a mean Fimo baker and will be in Germany to send off parcels some time next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I am so happy to leave you feeling warm and fuzzy, lol! :O)
      I am so determined to make grandma's kitchen, but because I will make the structure, window, cabinets, sink, table and chairs myself, I need to carefully calculate measurements and source materials. It will be a slow labor of love! The wallpaper was a major feature and when I found the contact paper randomly one day I took it as a sign, lol!
      I hadn't thought of using the leather FIMO for plants, but that is very intriguing! I have not ever attempted flowers or plants with FIMO, but did make some food stuffs with it back in 2013 for the Starbucks. I have a book to help me learn some skills for the new project, but I bet it takes massive experience to become a mean FIMO baker!!! I can't wait to see your works f art!!! I bet your German has gotten excellent, too!

      Delete
    2. Ha, my German sucks. Fortunately, my father in law arrives for a six week visit on the 31st so I will have someone to practice on. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  13. Hi Jodi. Kitchen and family room beautiful. Nice to have something finished or almost. We lived in renos most of our house time and finished and then sold. But good to keep busy. Is your kit Brimbles? I have the same stairs in my store. Really enjoy your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JCH! Great guess on Brimble's! And boy do I know the living in a reno story! We built this one new thinking we'd escape doing them, but we just can't leave well enough alone, lol!

      Delete
  14. Las renovaciones en tu casa han quedado estupendas! Ahora tenéis unos espacios muy acogedores y confortables! me ha gustado pasear a lo largo de los años por tu cocina y compartir los recuerdos de tu abuela y demás familia!
    Adelante con tu proyecto que seguiré entusiasmada!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias por estar aquí conmigo, Pilar! ¡Es una bendición combinar las cosas que más nos importan en la vida!

      Delete