Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Time For Bed/s...


As many of you know, a few weeks ago I made my 100th post! To celebrate, I announced a giveaway. Anything that I purchased or made for Alki Point during this period would be one for me, one for the lucky winner. The drawing will be done at 11:59 on December 31st, 2015. The winner will be announced on New Year's Day. There's still time to enter, so just post a comment to this blog post: Post Comment Here

It was time to make the bed for Alki Point. I already had the 3d printed headboard, so I had to figure out what kind of bed to make for the giveaway. I went to my handy box of beat up and discarded old furniture to see what I could come up with. Aha! A headboard!


Now I just had to make a simple frame. I used 1/8" x 3/4" basswood for the outer frame, 1/8" x 3/8" for the three cross braces, and two Skinny Sticks as supports.


I glued the frame as a separate unit so that I could work with the headboard by itself. I sanded it and gave it a couple coats of a medium grey paint after adding legs to the end of the frame.


I covered the back and side pieces with the same quatrefoil fabric I had to use on my bed. I also painted the part of the legs that would show.


I traced and cut 3/16" foam core to make a headboard insert. Then I glued on two layers of quilt batting to give it an upholstered look.




I covered it with the same fabric, attempting to match up the pattern on the back of the headboard. Then I used Kris Compass' Upholstery Button Tutorial to make tufts in the center of each tile. For buttons, I used sewing pin heads pushed right through the thread. I cut the excess off with nippers, then secured them with a bit of glue on the backside.



After attaching the completed headboard to the frame, it was time for a mattress. I used the same 3/16" foam core, covered again in quilt batting.



Thinking that the recipient may want to match their own sheets, blankets and pillows, I finished off the mattress with a piece of white cotton. The 'One For You' bed is all ready for it's new owner!


Intermingled with making this bed, I was making the one for Alki Point. I started off pretty much the same way, with a frame made of the same materials, I just painted it in the same grey that I used for the cabinets.



I used the same quatrefoil and white cotton for this bed. The white cotton is actually a handkerchief  that I had on hand. I liked that there was a perfect finished and sewn edge that I could use as a sheet edge. I used Heat Bond to attach the sheet and bed cover together. This was nice to have only one piece to attach to the mattress.



I will hold off on making the bed and decorative pillows. I want to do a good job, so I need more practice. The last batch I attempted were horrid! This just might force me to bring grandma's sewing machine down from the attic and get it serviced! If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.