Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Finding Inspiration Again

You know when you reach that point in a project where you become, well, I'll just say it - BOARD!?!

I had gotten there with the barn. I think because mostly it just wasn't turning out at all how I'd envisioned. AT ALL! It wasn't just that I've encountered so many obstacles, because that's normal in working with miniature building. It's really because the obstacles that I've encountered have forced me to completely change the layout. Which made the pre-fabbed pieces I made not work or look at all like what I had in my mind's eye. I'm just so sad about it, that I had lost some steam...


The optimist in me always wins, so I rolled up my sleeves and just started making little Sharpie pens out of toothpicks. I found an old plastic shim in my junk drawer, probably left over from some Ikea piece I purchased years ago. These, once cut apart, sanded, filed and glued together became an organizer for the garage bench. That kind of got me excited, and that is usually all it takes to get going again!






I needed to measure, cut stain and install the trim for the doors, and then I needed to finally figure out what I was going to do with that window. I like to use Zots to temporarily hold things in place for measuring or painting and such.








The kit came with barn doors, which I didn't use because I installed the working garage doors where they were supposed to live. Why not put them on the end? That would solve both the window and door problems.









The upper part of the barn doors need something... Maybe a frame with our last name initial inside? Hmmm...
Also, I have decided NOT to put an elaborate deck off the bedroom french doors. Just a juliet balcony, I think. I have other, more exciting projects to get to...







I printed out a barn door photo to Mod-Podge onto the inside of the barn door. I printed an insulated wall photo for the interior window frame. I may add 2x4's and some pink batting later on. Just a peek into the walls.









Here are a few more photos of the details. I really need to start using the iPad or the GoPro and not my phone taking for photos. Laziness is the excuse...









The next steps will be:
1. Finish Painting.
2. Install remaining roof and trim pieces to the open back.
3. Install roofing.
4. Make deck for entrance.
5. Finish exterior lighting.
6. Buy base mdf.
7. Landscaping, touch-up.
8. Figure out where it's going to live.




 I've learned a lot with this complicated project. The biggest take away is that I will definitely plan better, and make a scale layout ahead of time.